PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to get more racers

Action B
2008.04.09, 02:59 PM
I wanted to start a thread where we could post ideas for how we could get more racers in the area.

I think we need to host a couple of events that are big enough to get people to come from further away. This would draw more attention to 1/28 scale racing in the area. I mean an actual race where we will very well get our butts handed to us from experienced racers with prizes for top 3 finishers.

These little meets we are doing don't seem to be stirring up many new racers, sure we get better, but our club is still dismal in size.

a7i20ci7y
2008.04.09, 04:17 PM
Patience :) If you consider that for a long time it's just been me and Mike regularly, we've grown a lot.

Brandon
Jason
Justin
Maya
Mike
Nate
N'quan
Tim

That's actually a healthy size. We just need to get everyone "up to speed" :D The DCGTG has 10 names on their freq list, so I think we're doing pretty good. But certainly, I'd like to pick up a few more.

We want to host a big event, and I plan on doing just that at Nekocon, if I can get enough people interested. Question is, what kind of event? There seems to be plenty of enduros. Maybe we should make a "tripple crown"? The Classic Car Enduro, the DC Enduro, and a Neko open enduro?

Action B
2008.04.09, 05:11 PM
Patience :) If you consider that for a long time it's just been me and Mike regularly, we've grown a lot.

Brandon
Jason
Justin
Maya
Mike
Nate
N'quan
Tim

That's actually a healthy size. We just need to get everyone "up to speed" :D The DCGTG has 10 names on their freq list, so I think we're doing pretty good. But certainly, I'd like to pick up a few more.

We want to host a big event, and I plan on doing just that at Nekocon, if I can get enough people interested. Question is, what kind of event? There seems to be plenty of enduros. Maybe we should make a "tripple crown"? The Classic Car Enduro, the DC Enduro, and a Neko open enduro?

I don't recall and individual named Tim. N'quan is hit and miss. Doens't seem interested really, he likes to go fast in a straight line. He always wants to drag race his Xmods against other people.

Also, not sure Justin is going to be a regular. I like the kid, however, he left really early last time. Correct me if I'm not on target with that assumption.

Necokon is a good idea, but, I think you have to pay a lot just to get in, then to actually have an entry fee to throw on top of that. Unless people really like anime and mini-z's, I'm unsure the outcome for the event.

I think to get this bigger we have to appropriately target the kind of people that would be into this. There seems to be a few reasons people get into R/C cars in general. I'll list my assumptions here, however, I don't mean to classify to offend anyone for sure. This is simply a way of "marketing" the hobby to the correct crowds for maximum benefit of time put in.

Major categories of people into R/C cars

1. They are into cars in general

2. They are into electronics

3. Father and son hobby (or variation of two people doing it together to be closer)

4. Japanese culture/ anime

I could take a guess at the reason each one of us is into it.

Mike- you seem like your into cars and electronics

Nate- your definitely into anime and electronics

Me- I was always into automotive performance

Maya- a variation of father son hobby..

Nquan- automotive performance

Justin- Father son hobby

Jason- I'm assuming automotive enthusiast of the nascar nature.

I'm not saying that noone breaks this mold, this just seems to be the standard pattern I have seen. I bet if I solicited our club on Vadriven.com a local automotive enthusiast site, we could potentially pick up some racers there too as that reservoir of potential racers is not being tapped.

We are mostly hitting father son hobby in the hobby shop and anime/japanese culture at Nekocon.

a7i20ci7y
2008.04.09, 05:52 PM
Well, an important question to answer is, how big a club do you want to be?

Consider that we've only set up at Hobby Town about eight times. We haven't been doing this very long, at least not compared to some of the other clubs. Growth will come.

As for Neko, there won't be an event entry fee. If you have a Neko membership and a car, you're in. Neko membership at door is pricey for an rc event, but we've arranged a special racer pre-reg group discount that puts the price just over what people normally pay for a big race (and you get three days of track time plus a lot more events). The convention will foot the bill for trophies and such.

I'm optomistic about Justin. He had to leave early last Saturday because of his parents, but that doesn't mean he can't participate.

Tim was there last weekend, but couldn't stay all day. He's still adjusting to his Z and mourning his X mod, but he's reliable.

I can't speak to N'quan. I was hoping he would be there last weekend so we could compare xmods. I wouldn't mind setting up a drag strip. I actually have a plan to create a drag strip system using a basic stamp. Between road coarses, ovals, and dragging, we cover a lot of ground :)

Anyway, I think best way to grow as a club is to set up consistantly and encourage people to participate. But by all means, feel free to put the word out to interested parties. I think you're spot on identifying the demagraphics that would have an interest in RC racing.

arch2b
2008.04.09, 06:24 PM
having started the dc club, you have to understand that these things take time. i started the dc club knowing it would take YEARS before it was successful. for a long time it was just 3 of us, and we've hit as many as maybe 12-15. the average is still 5-7 which i still consider good. you also have to know that your membership rate will ALWAYS fluctuate. people come and go for whatever reasons.

take me for example, i have not made a club race in, hell, i can't even remember the last date i made due to family, work, etc. the club is one of my hobbies, all of which are 2nd to my fmaily and work.

joining hfay i think led to the biggest increase in our club ranks. then comes regional events and structuring your club so that it remains fun. if you fail to keep it fun, not matter what you do it'll fail.

your enthusiasim is definately a good thing to see. just try to keep a big picture kind of outlook vs. no one showed up this week, we must be done as a club.

Action B
2008.04.09, 08:50 PM
Well, an important question to answer is, how big a club do you want to be?

Consider that we've only set up at Hobby Town about eight times. We haven't been doing this very long, at least not compared to some of the other clubs. Growth will come.

As for Neko, there won't be an event entry fee. If you have a Neko membership and a car, you're in. Neko membership at door is pricey for an rc event, but we've arranged a special racer pre-reg group discount that puts the price just over what people normally pay for a big race (and you get three days of track time plus a lot more events). The convention will foot the bill for trophies and such.

I'm optomistic about Justin. He had to leave early last Saturday because of his parents, but that doesn't mean he can't participate.

Tim was there last weekend, but couldn't stay all day. He's still adjusting to his Z and mourning his X mod, but he's reliable.

I can't speak to N'quan. I was hoping he would be there last weekend so we could compare xmods. I wouldn't mind setting up a drag strip. I actually have a plan to create a drag strip system using a basic stamp. Between road coarses, ovals, and dragging, we cover a lot of ground :)

Anyway, I think best way to grow as a club is to set up consistantly and encourage people to participate. But by all means, feel free to put the word out to interested parties. I think you're spot on identifying the demagraphics that would have an interest in RC racing.

What happened to that mans Xmod?

a7i20ci7y
2008.04.09, 09:03 PM
We set up one day at Hobby Town and it just didn't work. No idea why. Batteries were all good. Crystals were all right. It just got no juice. So I bought him the only miniz they had in stock. An MR01 lancer.

Action B
2008.04.09, 09:15 PM
We set up one day at Hobby Town and it just didn't work. No idea why. Batteries were all good. Crystals were all right. It just got no juice. So I bought him the only miniz they had in stock. An MR01 lancer.

That was nice of you, how do you know Tim? Also, why is he mourning weeks later over an Xmod? I have one and I kinda hate driving it now that I have a mini-z. I'd get rid of it but sometimes its okay to have around if I want to just drive around outside or someone wants to try a car at hobbytown.

a7i20ci7y
2008.04.09, 09:55 PM
He had the xmod for a long time and was pretty good with it. The z we had to do a lot of tweaking to. It would spin like a top in left turns. I think we got it sorted out by replacing the tires.

And thanks, Arch! Your advice is always welcome

briankstan
2008.04.10, 10:36 AM
I'll agree with what Arch2b said.

We have had our club for 3 years. We have had as many at 15+ people. they weren't as die hard os other and always seem to have something else to do that come out and race.

I say as long as you have a few people showing up that is all you need. it's fun and people will come and go.

Action B
2008.04.10, 11:36 AM
He had the xmod for a long time and was pretty good with it. The z we had to do a lot of tweaking to. It would spin like a top in left turns. I think we got it sorted out by replacing the tires.

And thanks, Arch! Your advice is always welcome
What kind of Xmod was it? I have a few spares. He could swap over the parts if he really liked the Xmod.

Action B
2008.04.10, 11:37 AM
I'll agree with what Arch2b said.

We have had our club for 3 years. We have had as many at 15+ people. they weren't as die hard os other and always seem to have something else to do that come out and race.

I say as long as you have a few people showing up that is all you need. it's fun and people will come and go.

I didn't realize it wasn't as big as expected. I don't really mind. I have and always will enjoy this scale car. For years I messed with them alone.

briankstan
2008.04.10, 11:40 AM
I didn't realize it wasn't as big as expected. I don't really mind. I have and always will enjoy this scale car. For years I messed with them alone.

this is the key, Finding those that have and bringing them together. the trouble is finding them or them finding you.

I have had several of our newer more dedicated members locate me through our website.

Action B
2008.04.10, 12:15 PM
this is the key, Finding those that have and bringing them together. the trouble is finding them or them finding you.

I have had several of our newer more dedicated members locate me through our website.

I'm sure there are others out there that don't know people actually race these. When Xmods discontinued I bit the bullet and bought a Mini-z. One day looking on atomicmods pricing one out, I saw local clubs and contacted Nate. Anyhow, the Mini-z is worth every penny over the aside from springs ant tires because I'm just so used to driving crappy quality X-mods that I just adjust my driving instead of my car.

Honestly, I think far to many people focus on adjusting their car to every track condition instead of their driving. Both can be helpful, I just see a strong tendency one way.

SoundWave2501
2008.04.10, 06:47 PM
Nate and I are working on a lot of projects simultaneously. He has work, a house project, wife, child, and tons of responsibility. I have work, school, military in the summer, ministry work, and other things. Yet we both want to make this work really well so that it is fun and rewarding for people. There are a lot of things in an undercurrent that we have running right now. I have a friend making us T-Shirts and stickers. He does graffic design for a living. Nate and I have talked about trying to net the club money by doing some special events. He and I have spent a ton of time, money, and effort on this so we arent going to let it slide in quality. Arch has taken great care of us and we have learned a lot from him in how to build a club and help other people get going. Steady slow growth is going to be the name of the game for us. That way everything gets done right, its well planned, and it will stand for a long time to come.

We are glad to have people like you that are enthusiastic to have a place to come and get better and race. That is what we need. If we start getting big, or even too big we are going to have to start making responsibility structures, something we dont want to do. We dont want to turn a hobby into work. There is going to be a need for some structure, but we are still kinda feeling it out.

As soon as we get the logo designed we can make flyers and things like that. Youll have bumperstickers to put on your car, a hopefully cool t-shirt, and tons of stuff to look forward to.

Anyway, thats just my take on it. Nate and I have been at this for a while wondering where everyone was at. We figured we couldnt be the only ones in the area that raced. Now we have what we consider a whole bunch of people. Going from 2 and adding six, well that was a 300% spike all at once for us so we are happy as we can be about it.

jazzyone
2008.04.13, 04:43 PM
patience is right, move a mountain starting with the small stones

jazzyone
2008.04.13, 04:54 PM
i am an automotive enthusiast of all kinds of speed, i happen to like the way an xmod i put together runs around a track i built. i had an idea of marketing the opportunity to race 12 cars at a time. i had intended to race right and left turns, i just prefered to make a banked track so the gen 1 xmods i have would turn and be able to carry its speed, im guessing i decided to pursue the wrong kind of car, but i do believe the xmods will last if the speeds are keep down, but still appear fast. there is alot about this whole thing that is still new to me, i have owned one xmod since they came out, up until about a year and a half ago. my mission, to bring racing 28th scale cars to everyone, not just people that turn left. its eaiser for some to turn left, these people that watch nascar would pay to race . point blank.

jazzyone
2008.04.13, 04:58 PM
also i have owned many many r c cars, of all i have come to appreciate how fast the 28th scale is , and decided to do what i am doing based on the fact that the mini-zs can be the ultimate level , in a customers acheivement level. thats time to get good. i say buy an xmod, decide to do better, then go -z