PDA

View Full Version : F1 Spinning out and Setups.

soulstice
2008.04.10, 06:01 PM
I have an F1 that's pretty much stock with a 3010 fets and xspeed, 30d front, 20d rear tires that I run on RCP. The first time I put it on a track it kept on spinning out on turns. It would kinda just whip around. Then someone suggested that I loosen the second set of screws on the plates. This helped the handling immensely and it's now driveable enough that I can get through a race.

That being said, I still don't feel that the handling is very good. I'd like to drive it more aggressively but it just doesn't feel assured when i run laps and I feel like i have to hold back or bad things happen like more spin outs.

Has anyone experienced this as well on a stock F1 and what changes did you make to tune it out. Or alternatively, is there a setup that you like that you recommend I try? I've read a few threads and seen a wide variety of configurations. Just wondering if there's a general consensus on some must have parts like carbon plates or a ball diff.

ruf
2008.04.10, 06:48 PM
The chassis is probably one of the newer production that is tweaked. I personally run with all my screws tight now. Does it spin out to one direction only? Most spin out to the left. Put a spacer between the side plate and the motor mount to adjust the tweak until it steers neutrally.

soulstice
2008.04.10, 06:59 PM
The chassis is probably one of the newer production that is tweaked. I personally run with all my screws tight now. Does it spin out to one direction only? Most spin out to the left. Put a spacer between the side plate and the motor mount to adjust the tweak until it steers neutrally.

It is one of the newer ones 2005 ferrari.

I've seen the tweak thing mentioned before. Is this something that can be visually accessed or is there a good test for this?

hrdrvr
2008.04.11, 07:20 AM
Im in the same boat as you soul. I got an F1 for christmas and have been reading the mess out of this forum. I got the same car as you, and have had similar feelings about it. I just dont turn the same laps times with it as I do my 02s and 010s. I feel if I push any more than I do, Ill end up parking on the wall a few times a lap, which really kills a race.

I dont really want to do any mods where I have to trim the body, so Id like to hear small adjustments (Ive got all the different springs K makes) that can make the car more managable.

I must say though that racing them (even as tender as you have to be) really seems FAST! And, I had to loosen my mid set of screws as well. One side is a little looser than the other, as it was spinning out left a lot more than right.

soulstice
2008.04.11, 07:55 AM
Im in the same boat as you soul. I got an F1 for christmas and have been reading the mess out of this forum. I got the same car as you, and have had similar feelings about it. I just dont turn the same laps times with it as I do my 02s and 010s. I feel if I push any more than I do, Ill end up parking on the wall a few times a lap, which really kills a race.

I dont really want to do any mods where I have to trim the body, so Id like to hear small adjustments (Ive got all the different springs K makes) that can make the car more managable.

I must say though that racing them (even as tender as you have to be) really seems FAST! And, I had to loosen my mid set of screws as well. One side is a little looser than the other, as it was spinning out left a lot more than right.

Well put hrdrvr. I'm not looking to turn this into a frankenstein creation, just want to do the bare minimum of tweaks to get it to drive confidently.

Spoon
2008.04.11, 08:50 AM
Well put hrdrvr. I'm not looking to turn this into a frankenstein creation, just want to do the bare minimum of tweaks to get it to drive confidently.

Soulstice,

bring your F1 this weekend and we'll spend some time with it. I've just started to get mine dialed in. I've run into problems because there's just no room for slop with the bodies so low to the track and so close to the motor/suspension.

briankstan
2008.04.11, 09:49 AM
whe you need is the shim set from PN racing. available at the shop here

http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17578

what you do is use the shims between the chassis and and the suspension plates to balance the car.

what I've been told is you want to flex the suspesion then let if return as it would in a race. place a small screwdriver under the front wing and slowly lift if up watching under the car. what you want to happen is the both the front wheels raise off the track at the same time.

Position your shims unter the plates, can be both against the chassis and motor mount as needed until your steering is neutral.

this won't eliminate your spinout completely. what you are looking for is for the car to react the same in both directions. they you have to tune with tires, knuckles, springs, etc. to you liking.

franciscantony
2008.04.11, 12:54 PM
The chassis is probably one of the newer production that is tweaked.

Is this problem not in the older versions? I have a older f1 and haven't come
across the spinning out yet because as a new driver I haven't been
pushing the car hard.
-Francis

briankstan
2008.04.11, 01:47 PM
it really varies for chassis to chassis. I'd say that most of them have some tweek in them.