PDA

View Full Version : First time high end radio purchase?

ocean rodeo
2008.04.10, 10:49 PM
Hey guys I am going to be up-grading to a Helios radio but not sure which one to get. Any pro's and con's between the ex-10 or the UR other than size?. Thank you.

herman
2008.04.11, 01:29 AM
haven't tried out any of those two radio's you've mentioned on a long term basis... (tried my brother's helios once, and some guy's mars-1 once - i heard is quite similar to the ex-1 ur... i've got an M8... a bit old but still a great radio)

if you have the chance, i would suggest trying both out...

being a high end radio, most will have the programmable functions and or settings way far and above the stock kt-2 & kt-5 radio.... this may seem too much to handle or a bit overkill for the mini-z... but later you may find out, that it can turn out to be a good thing to have a particular function built right into the radio....

two things to now consider is...
- how the radio 'feels' in your hand...
- ease of programming desired settings...

and based on that, you might want to prioritize which is more important for you...

for me... i think how the way the radio 'feels' while you're actually holding it, would be more of a factor... since most high end radios have mostly the same programmable functions / settings...

however, if ease of programing or ease in setting up the radio is your priority, choose the radio that is easier to program...

there are some other factors that you might want to consider like price, etc...

one good thing about the radio's you've mentioned is that once the 2.4ghz module comes out, you'll have one great radio.... and a great car too...

good luck in your search... and hope this helps..

soulstice
2008.04.11, 08:19 AM
Hey guys I am going to be up-grading to a Helios radio but not sure which one to get. Any pro's and con's between the ex-10 or the UR other than size?. Thank you.

I have both so I think I can shed some light . . .

1. Size: The Helios is considerably larger than the UR. With the extension kit on it, it takes up a ton of physical space and I find it difficult to find a carry case that's big enough so I usually am forced to carry it in my hand.

2. Weight: Some may like this, some may not but the Helios is considerably heavier. The UR has a good feeling weight that's well distributed and has a compact feeling center of gravity. The Helios feels like the weight is all out in the extremities.

3. Handgrip: The size of the hand grip is different as well between both. I seem to be in a weird range where the Helios grip is a tad large, and the UR grip is a tad small(but only because of this ledge that protrudes).

4. Drop Down Extension: The Helios extension has angle adjustments, the UR is just a drop down but this also keeps the unit from being super thick like the Helios.

5. Model memory: I forget the exact number but the Helios has 9 and the UR has 30. I never thought I'd use all 9, but if you consolidate your vehicles and run multiple scales, 9 is not enough. The helios has a data back upgrade but it costs an additional $60.

6. Cost: From a straight feature standpoint, the UR is cheaper.

7. Controls: Helios uses a Dial system, the UR buttons. Depends what you prefer.

8. Display: the Helios display is larger than the UR.

9. Channels: Helios is a 3ch, UR is a 4ch. Not sure what these are used for, but i suppose the more the better.

All this being said, there's no clear winner. There's some features I definitely prefer from the helios and other's I prefer from the UR. Really wish they had developed a new smaller design based on the UR form factor, maintain the UR features but used the Helios interface.

ocean rodeo
2008.04.11, 10:07 AM
3 channel receivers allows you to use a transponder in larger models. I am going with the UR, both radio provide the same function but I like a smaller radio. Thank you .