PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya Speed Checker

Russ
2001.12.05, 01:25 PM
I guess this could be considered a part...I advise all of you, or 1 person from each close group of people, to watch ebay for a "Tamiya Speed Checker". They are about $50 at my LHS, and I have never really seen them cheaper than that, but I found one on ebay for $20, and it's mine :) It is really cool and seems to be really accurate. It has rollers and you gun the throttle for 30 seconds, and it tells you currently what your speed is during that time, and at the end, it will tell you the highest top speed. It will also tell you the time it takes you to travel a certain distance, in 10 meter increments from 10 - 300.

Again, very cool device, although I don't think it's worth the $50, $20 seems more like it. I'll put up some pics and videos a little later on.

Here's a pic & description from Tower (& no I'm not advertising for tower hobbies :) )

http://www2.************.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p.pgm?Q=1&I=LXMU33&P=7

Russ

mini-z
2001.12.05, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure about the accuracy; we tried it the other day, and since there's no load, my turbo'd X-speed was showing the same or slower than some stock motors. The reason being that I had ten times their torque, but that's not evident on the no-load rollers.

Russ
2001.12.05, 05:40 PM
all it does is measure top speed, I noticed my Z skips around a little, but if you hold a finger on it just a little, it goes smoother and the top speed is a little higher.

Anyway, I'm happy with it :)

Russ

mini-z
2001.12.05, 07:56 PM
Right, but top speed under no load doesn't mean much. e.g. I may be able to do 60mph on an excercise bike if I set it to super-easy mode, but if I tried the same gearing etc. on a real road with my real weight and the bike's real weight I'd probably do half of that.

Russ
2001.12.05, 08:45 PM
Ohhhh, I gotcha....even though, I still like it :)

Russ

mini-z
2001.12.05, 09:38 PM
What speed did you get on it anyway?

Russ
2001.12.05, 11:24 PM
I haven't tried it with my 26 mph setup yet, just messin around with the 7 tooth (what was already on it) and got 21 km/h, 13 mph.

Russ

F=ma
2001.12.06, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by mini-z
I'm not sure about the accuracy; we tried it the other day, and since there's no load, my turbo'd X-speed was showing the same or slower than some stock motors. The reason being that I had ten times their torque, but that's not evident on the no-load rollers.

I guess this is where gearing shines, huh?

my setup is pretty torqueless, but I've got a high enough top speed for a torque tuned motor.

I hit 29 kph on Russ' speed checker.

Yeah! Dyno Queen baby!

mini-z
2001.12.06, 09:50 AM
I think someone hit 24kph with a completely stock Mini-Z on NiCads, while mine was running at I think 17 or 18 (I was down to a 6 tooth that night in an effort to control the insane speed given by the turbo) but on the actual track, my car can out accelerate and out speed everyone (so much so that I probably roll and flip off of the track about 3 feet on one of every 3 laps!), so that's why we basically discounted the speed checker's results.

Ken Mifune
2001.12.06, 10:14 PM
SpeedChecker-
Does it just freewheel or is there an adjustable load you can dial in? If there isn't, you can hook up a motor to it for resistance. Use an old train transformer (if ya got one) to vary the load.

Or you can just run the damn car on the floor. ;)

Russ
2001.12.06, 10:28 PM
it just freewheels & tells how fast the wheels are spinning...

It'll do the same thing in reverse too :) But the car jumps off the rollers...woops!! hehe...

Russ