PDA

View Full Version : Ex1-UR Quick steering/throttle vs Helios ICS setting?

Aurora
2008.04.13, 09:32 PM
I own now both the Helios and EX1 UR, and slowly starting to use my EX1 UR.

Personally, I do feel the EX1 UR grip fit my hand much better than the Helios, and the lighter throttle/steering wheel make the handling of car easier and overall experience is really pleasant.

My question about EX1 UR is:

I tried using it with my AD band AWD, and I was testing the new feature of Quick steering with the AD module--I do feel the turning of the car seems to improve(not 100% sure whether it partially because of lighter steering wheel spring); the question comes when I leave this car on a car stand and try quickly turning the steering wheel quickly on either EX1 UR or Helios, and the Quick steering makes the car turn its wheel in a more choppy fashion if it is turn up high.

So fellow EX1 UR owner, what's your take on this? Will this new 'quick steering' feature feels like changing the AD band ICS setting of 'gain' and/or 'punch'? Or we are looking at something that is totally new and different? Will this new feature demands the Ultra response 2.4G module for miniz to take full advantage?

Aurora
2008.04.16, 01:21 PM
I tested both Helios and EX1UR side by side on the track, with the same car and same set of battery(for a few sets).

I drove the car with 120% Quick steering response vs. 50% Quick steering response vs. No quick steering response, on the same car during a same set of pretty punchy and consistent Orion 900HV battery. And I am for now convinced that as I turn up Quick steering response, the wheel on car does feel like turning faster but in a choppy fashion.

So if I try moving the steering wheel on Tx ever so lightly (for ex, only clockwise for ~15-20 deg), a No-quick-steering-response car will turn in a very smooth and gradual curve, whereas a 50%-quick-steering-response car will adopt very steep turning angle almost immediately. Therefore, It probably will be next to impossible to make the car to follow a long long gradual curve on a long straight if you have your quick-steering-response turn up high.

Fellow EX1UR owners, do your driving/testing show similar results?

Aurora
2008.04.25, 10:44 AM
Anyone who have tried the EX1UR and had similar results?

mini-z
2008.04.25, 12:02 PM
Aurora, see if you can get a hold of ruf or Christian, they switched to EX1URs IIRC. :)

cvt01
2008.04.25, 12:09 PM
I don't have the transmitter but I believe the speed of the steering servo defines the steering speed. The tweaking you do in the transmitter can only do so much. Based on what you described all the high speed turning does is just changing the output signal of the transmitter based on the steering input. I don't think the steering servo in a Mini-Z is fast enough, a 10th scale high speed steering servo can be a totally different animal though...

CristianTabush
2008.04.29, 12:37 AM
You can only use the high speed response with the AD and 2.4ghz equipment. What this does is increase the speed of the signal, it does not speed up the servo, but rather how quickly the transmitter sends the command to the servo itself. It should have a feeling of quicker response, but not quicker transition of the actual servo actually takes place. To me it makes you feel more "connected to the car".

Aurora
2008.04.29, 12:40 AM
mini-z,

Thank you for the suggestion, pm have been sent to those gentlemen.

cvt01,

Maybe that is the case as you have described, but I also do feel an actual change of behavior of the miniz on track if I tune those 'quick response' way up.

The effect of having a really high "quick response" steering is such that the car will reach the designated 'target' corresponding to your wheels lightning quick, and feel like a loss of resolution.

Imagine you are speeding across a 15 meters straight while turning the wheel a tad bit; without the quick response, the car might travel in a gradual curve on the long straight; but with the QR turn all the way up(120%), the car might turn so fast that the path is no longer gradual, and it will hit the curb before reaching the end of long straight.

Aurora
2008.04.29, 12:45 AM
Wow, Cristian, thanks for the quick response!

Hmmm...but as for my long straight experiment as posted above, do you feel any difference behind the wheel? I could sworn that there is a loss of resolution exist if it is turned way up? And yes I am using my EX1 UR (set to high HSR) with my AD band module and comparing it side by side to the Helios with AD band.

As what you have mentioned, that got me thinking whether this sense of losing resolution is due to the difference between Helios and EX1UR processing/transmitting speed? So I should slow down a bit to prevent of turning the wheels too fast?

What would be your suggested setting for both the steering and throttle QR?

CristianTabush
2008.04.29, 01:08 AM
Wow, Cristian, thanks for the quick response!

Hmmm...but as for my long straight experiment as posted above, do you feel any difference behind the wheel? I could sworn that there is a loss of resolution exist if it is turned way up? And yes I am using my EX1 UR (set to high HSR) with my AD band module and comparing it side by side to the Helios with AD band.

As what you have mentioned, that got me thinking whether this sense of losing resolution is due to the difference between Helios and EX1UR processing/transmitting speed? So I should slow down a bit to prevent of turning the wheels too fast?

What would be your suggested setting for both the steering and throttle QR?

I run it in the highest speed with the AD board. I have tried all the settings and haven't noticed a loss in resolution. I really can't comment on the Helios since I never used it. All I know is that if you try to use the high speed stuff with AM it glitches like crazy...

I'll be honest and I don't worry about this stuff so much... I hate to be vague but I feel like it doesn't make a bit of difference. Adjustments like these are so marginal that in my opinion they don't matter so much...

Aurora
2008.04.29, 01:28 AM
Haha...thank you, Cristian. Maybe I am being too hyper sensitive to these new gadgets, and now I have more comfort that I am not missing out on a killer feature that this remote might have offer...

And agree on the AM glitch, or using the AM module with high HSR will also result in irregular behavior as well.

:)

Tjay
2008.05.12, 01:31 PM
Tip of the day:

Aurora: we use HSR on our AM cars since Nov of '07. All you have to do is switch to HSR and then go to CH. SELECT and choose 3-CHANNEL. This should help you get rid of that glitch and you'll notice a difference as well. If you haven't already done so, do this to your AD as well.

Cheers!