PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Link

SoundWave2501
2008.04.16, 12:36 PM
Hobby Link Japan has a good sale going on for MiniZ bodies. They have ones I have not seen on market in a good long while such as the two RX-7 bodies from the Initial D series and a few others. You all might want to check that out.

jazzyone
2008.04.17, 06:00 AM
Ebay always has deals on stuff, there is a very easy way to do it, check out the 300 items they have listed under mini-z there are over 700 items in xmods. Perhaps ebay has a bad rap or just has rubbed people the wrong way, i dont know, but i do know i have bought alot of my xmods there and so far i have gotten a fair exchange of merchandise. its good and bad, such is life. i say fair. the truth is that the choice of what chassis to get is still perplexing me. perhaps in another room ill ask for opinions on chassiss. the body is just a personal choice, but the chassis is king.

Action B
2008.04.17, 12:23 PM
Hobby Link Japan has a good sale going on for MiniZ bodies. They have ones I have not seen on market in a good long while such as the two RX-7 bodies from the Initial D series and a few others. You all might want to check that out.

My main deterrent for shopping at most online stores. I can never find what I want. If there is not a browseable shop with clickable categories, count me out.

I went to that site, didnt see anything about the bodies nor could I find a way to look at just autoscales.

Draconious
2008.04.17, 05:05 PM
There is nothing there, that you cannot get on THIS SITE cheaper...

SoundWave2501
2008.04.17, 05:16 PM
Uhh I havent seen any of the Initial D sets or bodies on Tiny RC. Most everytime I go there things are sold out. If you want to give me some links Ill be more than happy to buy from here though.

jazzyone
2008.04.17, 06:34 PM
check out ebay

SoundWave2501
2008.04.17, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I did, they have stuff too, and hobbylink is already outta everything now.

Action B
2008.04.18, 01:36 AM
There is nothing there, that you cannot get on THIS SITE cheaper...

I'm not debating prices really, no offence to anyone, but like I said, if an online shop didn't put in the time to make browsable categories, then I am not taking my time to shop there in most cases.

If this site incorporated a browsable store that was organized by category then I'd definitely shop here more often. Reflex racing and atomic mods has this sort of interface. I go to the site, click on MA-010 car, click on chassis parts and look for what I need. Reflexs set up is a little better, as they distinguish between drivetrain and chassis. Seriously though, why wouldn't every serious online shop have this? Its kinda ridiculous.

jazzyone
2008.04.19, 07:06 AM
http://www.toyeast.com/v3/catproductlist.asp?cat_id=66&clvl=4 i found a good amount of mini-z stuff here, including those initial-d ones

kryten
2008.04.19, 07:12 AM
I'd have to agree with action B,this sites shop is not easy to find the things you want at all.That's why i've never bought from the shop here.I can find what i want a LOT quicker elsewhere.

Ninja
2008.04.19, 07:54 AM
actually this site is one of the easiest to browse, you just have to know where to look. ;)

Attachment A) Express List link CLICK IT :D

Attachment B) Use the drop down to scroll down to the category you are looking for, anc click the category. then click "sort"

Attachment C) Once you are here, it only shows items that are in stock. Prices, how many are available, and a quantity and checkbox for adding to your cart.

You can click individual links to open that item in a new page to view pics and info on that item.

Action B
2008.04.20, 03:29 AM
actually this site is one of the easiest to browse, you just have to know where to look. ;)

Attachment B) Use the drop down to scroll down to the category you are looking for, anc click the category. then click "sort"

Attachment C) Once you are here, it only shows items that are in stock. Prices, how many are available, and a quantity and checkbox for adding to your cart.

You can click individual links to open that item in a new page to view pics and info on that item.

I find it interesting that you had to explain how I would go about browsing the easiest site to browse.

Draconious
2008.04.20, 03:55 AM
http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php?cat=354

mini-z
2008.04.20, 08:30 AM

Thanks Ninja! :) We realize that the site does take a little figuring out in order to be used most effectively, and as such we're working on several guides targeted at different users (just starting out, advanced user, LHS, etc.). :)

mini-z
2008.04.20, 08:33 AM
I'd have to agree with action B,this sites shop is not easy to find the things you want at all.That's why i've never bought from the shop here.I can find what i want a LOT quicker elsewhere.

kryten, what could we do to make it easier to find things? In addition to the Express List, you can find just about anything almost instantly by typing in the Search box at the upper left - do not press Go - just start typing and it will start popping up suggestions that match your keywords. The Recent Products and Site Map are also helpful in finding what you need. Let us know what else we can do though! :)

mini-z
2008.04.20, 08:44 AM
I'm not debating prices really, no offence to anyone, but like I said, if an online shop didn't put in the time to make browsable categories, then I am not taking my time to shop there in most cases.

If this site incorporated a browsable store that was organized by category then I'd definitely shop here more often. Reflex racing and atomic mods has this sort of interface. I go to the site, click on MA-010 car, click on chassis parts and look for what I need. Reflexs set up is a little better, as they distinguish between drivetrain and chassis. Seriously though, why wouldn't every serious online shop have this? Its kinda ridiculous.

AB, can you explain what you mean by browsable categories? If you click a Category from the left hand menu you can drill down to find the part you want; it's hard to compare to other sites as they only carry a fraction of the parts that we do, but let us know how to fix it for you and we will, that how all of our sites are built - continually incorporating user feedback! :)

mini-z
2008.04.20, 08:44 AM

We've got most of the ID bodies - open a Support Ticket for details - thanks! :)

jazzyone
2008.04.20, 02:43 PM
http://www.alsracing.net/english.htm the new 28th scale chassis check it out

Action B
2008.04.20, 06:58 PM
AB, can you explain what you mean by browsable categories? If you click a Category from the left hand menu you can drill down to find the part you want; it's hard to compare to other sites as they only carry a fraction of the parts that we do, but let us know how to fix it for you and we will, that how all of our sites are built - continually incorporating user feedback! :)

Well, I was going to read the post telling me how to browse the site, but for this case I will skip it so that my input as a new user is still valid. The only reason I would ever buy from this site would be to support it for creating this online community.

Just for fun, I had my girlfriend (who races a MA-010) to try and find an atomic ball differential at atomicmods, reflexracing and this site.

It took her about a minute to find on atomic, 35 seconds on reflexracing and over 5 minutes on this site.

Recommendations:

1. I want to see options immediately. Your main page of your shop 3/4 of which is news (which isn't at all news as its from december). I see the key point is search. I dont want to search, I want the site to narrow down to what I want. To make me want to shop it would have to say something like the following and be the highlight of the page or at least easily visible.

MANUFACTURER:
Kyosho
etc.
etc.

SELECT YOUR CHASSIS:
MA-010
MR-02
MR-015 etc.

PART CATEGORY:
Drivetrain
Suspension
Chassis
Tires etc

I should then be given a selection of pictures to help me find what I want, it could even be narrowed down further perhaps, but this is far enough.

2. I like to shop by pictures, and every part should have at least one and probably two or three. Honestly, I'm new, I don't always know the names of the parts I'm looking for, but often enough I know what they look like.

3. Every part should have a full description. If I am purchasing a ball bearing differential, tell me how it will help me and why and tell me that I might want to consider a thrust bearing upgrade as well and link to it.

I know that may seem tedious for so many parts,however, forum members would help create the descriptions and take pictures I'm sure.

a7i20ci7y
2008.04.20, 10:24 PM
The express list is very interesting (I never would have found it on my own). But it should include pictures.

For general browsing, there should be an option to display only items that are in stock.

Currently I need battery clips for an MR02. I found alloy sinks quickly enough just browsing, but they're out of stock.

I also need a front clip for an enzo body. Found an alloy clip quick enough, but also out of stock. A moment later I found the plastic clip, in stock. But I'm probably going to order it from where ever I find some battery heat sinks so I'm not paying twice for shipping.

Typically I don't have a problem finding items on MZR, I have a problem finding them in stock. I do prefer to order from here as the prices are good to fair and it supports the site. It just frequently happens that the items I need aren't available.

If its any consolation I didn't find the clips on any other commercial site I checked and had to go to Ebay to find the two together.

arch2b
2008.04.21, 09:41 AM
...I know that may seem tedious for so many parts,however, forum members would help create the descriptions and take pictures I'm sure.

you would think that would be true however it's never panned out. we've asked for years and so far i think we have had a handful of forum members help with images, reviews, etc. for example; monthly review contest is ment to encourage member contributions to product reviews however participation has never been high. we even give a gift card as incentive which has not changed participation levels. hoenstly, it's a nobel gesture to say but unless your there to back it up, your just typing letters on a screen. i don't intend that to be harsh or anything but it's just been the reality of what your suggesting as many have made the same/similar suggestions.
as a result it's been left to a few of us to maintain and upkeep which is not rocket science, lets be honest, but it does take time. time which i think most members, like myself don't have much of in excess and when you combine our moderating responsibilities, etc. you can see the issue it presents. i would LOVE to have an army helping and we've asked, the response has not been what you would expect. lets say for example; each member simply writes a review or writes a description for one product. were talking hundres or thousands of members... the math is simple. it would easily resolve itself quickly. most of the information is already out there, ti's just a matter of collection.

i only commnet on this as i have carried the amjority of the burden for parts images for years. i've seen dozens come and go offering help yet i'm still here mostly by myself. i appreciate any offers for help adn would gladly accept however i've also become reluctantly pesimistic on it's follow thru. don't get me wrong, there are a couple here that have been helping and continue to do so and i, for one and very greatful. it's just not the norm and they have defied the odds.

anyone up for a one member - one description/review campaign?:eek:

i'd also like to offer, we really do take feedback seriously and do our best to effect change. bad or good, feeedback is always welcome, just be respectful in dishing it out:p we do have some changes already in the planning...:)

Action B
2008.04.21, 11:35 AM
I would be more than willing to help, however, I don't find lack of this communities help an excuse for the lack of pictures and descriptions.

This is an online shop.. correct? The forum is independent of the shop. I appreciate the community and the efforts put here, but really, there are several forums out there that don't have an associated shop but operate none the less. Supporting the site is great, but this is the only instance where it has been suggested that I support a forum by buying from it.

Its also the only instance where it is suggested that shoppers make a description or pictures of a product for an online store. This being said, the competitors shops frequently have descriptions and multiple pictures without member contribution.

Basically, I know we all have to make ends meet but sometimes you have to pay to play. Perhaps money invested in just hiring someone to do descriptions and pictures in the first place would make more money in the long run than it would cost. Its kind of similar to marketing/advertisement to me. It costs now and payback is (hopefully) later.

arch2b
2008.04.21, 12:40 PM
I would be more than willing to help, however, I don't find lack of this communities help an excuse for the lack of pictures and descriptions.

absolutely correct. i was not placing blame on the community. you brought up community contributions, which i was mainly addressing with my comments.
This is an online shop.. correct? The forum is independent of the shop. I appreciate the community and the efforts put here, but really, there are several forums out there that don't have an associated shop but operate none the less. Supporting the site is great, but this is the only instance where it has been suggested that I support a forum by buying from it.
yes it is an online shop however they are all interconnected in a sense. this shop pays for the operations and upkeep for all the community forums under our umbrella. by supporting the shop, you help fund the forum growth and improvements, maintenaince, etc. yes others may not have this model but they all generate income by some means, mostly thru advertising, pop-ups, etc. most of the small, free forums are extensively supported by these types of advertising. our community happens to draw it's funding thru the tinyrc shop. we are looking into additional advertising revenues however as a long time member, i hoestly would prefer to not overwhelmed by google ads, etc.
Its also the only instance where it is suggested that shoppers make a description or pictures of a product for an online store. This being said, the competitors shops frequently have descriptions and multiple pictures without member contribution.
i'm not going to disagree with you on some of these points points however your phrasing is misleading. we never said these will only come thru member contributions, only that we have solicitied member contributions to fill such needs. it was and never will be manditory in any form or fashion. it's all volunteer based help, just as forum moderating is. as the shop is an extension of the community, this is no different.
Basically, I know we all have to make ends meet but sometimes you have to pay to play. Perhaps money invested in just hiring someone to do descriptions and pictures in the first place would make more money in the long run than it would cost. Its kind of similar to marketing/advertisement to me. It costs now and payback is (hopefully) later.
your absolutely right. when you have over half a dozen community forums and a shop to run you can make that call based on your own financial evaluations just as the site/shop owner has to constantly evaluate for here. i can tell you that the current lack of the position is not based on sheer resistance to doing so. i know personally that if possible, it would be done immediately.

to put it simply, some of the other shops are just that, shops. the shop here was born out of the need to both support the forums costs and provide a need to the members. it's always been about community, not a solely a shop for the sake of profit alone. this site and shop are about community. if that is not clear, than that is where an important misundertanding lies.

please let me know if i need to explain an answer better or elaborate on anything. my only wish is to possibly explain why things are they way they are, not to say that they don't need improving (they do) or that it's someone else's fault (it's not).

a7i20ci7y
2008.04.21, 12:58 PM
There are a couple of issues here and I think the conversation has lost focus.

What this started as, was a post about a third party vendor on the MZR forums.

I don't have a problem with the business model of MZR. I think it's a good idea, and it works (in that business keeps going). I Like buying from MZR when I can so I can do my part for the community.

However...

One should be able to discuss third party vendors without being accosted about it. Particularly when MZR doesn't have the part(s) in question in stock.

Strictly speaking, the forums are the property of some entity. If that entity wants to make a rule about advertising third parties, that's their prerogative. It isn't censorship, it isn't a violation of free speech or any other such nonsense. I just don't think it's in the best interest of the mini-z community at large. I think this resource has, and should maintain, a sense of objectivity and unbiased opinions.

In my opinion, the shop here is fine. Every miniz shop I frequent has something about it I don't like, but that's subjective. Objective subjects, such as cost, shipping, promptness, etc, the shop here is spot on. Because of that, I will order from here so long as they have the parts I need.

Action B
2008.04.21, 02:16 PM
Well I've seen a lot of really good points and insights here. Given the information present i WILL in the future purchase here first but as atrocity said, only if parts are readily stocked. This is not just a problem at this site though, as I can't seem to find a single shop that has everything I want to order right now.

I actually just placed an order on ebay, which is my last choice but I wanted to try the 3racing ball differential which I couldn't find anywhere.

Really the browsing here isn't too bad now that I know about express list, however, I suggest making that link a LOT more prominent. Newcomers don't know that expresslink exists or what it means, I would seriously consider renaming that feature as well.

arch2b
2008.04.21, 02:22 PM
One should be able to discuss third party vendors without being accosted about it. Particularly when MZR doesn't have the part(s) in question in stock.
i will say i'm in agreement with you. i'm not sure many newcomers will notice but the extent of automatic filtering has decreased consistently in the last 5 years. i'm hoping that it will not be needed at all.

if you see someone follow up a post with a reply about the product being available in the shop here, it's not ment to squash the issue, just point out that the same product is available here as well.

understand, even i shop at multiple places at times as hardly ever does any one shop have everything you need. most are not willing to wait for submitting a restock request in my opinion. for me, if i'm placing order(s) and something is not instock, it's easier to simply find another source than wait week(s) for a restock. this never really worked for lhs's and the same holds true for e-commerce in my opinion. you submit the request and hope it's there for the next joe who needs it.

mini-z
2008.04.24, 09:09 PM
FYI guys, based on this important feedback we're going to be making significant changes to the shop - please stay tuned to the blog (http://blog.tinyrc.com/) for an announcement - thanks as always for your feedback and support! :)