PDA

View Full Version : the truth about chassis

jazzyone
2008.04.17, 07:42 AM
somebody please explain how the mini-z works. i understand most electronics, but have not really taken the time yet to tear apart a mini-z,mostly because i just started what im doind, and i intended to get the xmods working first. you see i guess im trying to say what im doing is giving others the chance to play before they pay. or buy a 200 dollar car
we all know these small cars are wicked fast , but if you cant do it with others its no fun.
Will somebody explain what each mini-z chassis has that the other dosent. ive observed that the enzo has a long nose, and may in fact effect its cornering, by putting weight on the nose, more so than every other car i have seen so far with the exception of course for the fxx. the skyline seems well balanced but at its ultimate traction capabilities it is very top heavy. This is very interesting meaning truely , either the tires need to be wider or the body lower, Mind you very small incriments or movement may be needed to solve it. one minght say 3/28ths of an inch may be all it needs in the back. the delta is very well balanced, tho i still believe that the wheel spins itself out of the tire. If the frond drive is acheived by a limited slip method the slip is not enuf. a couple xmod skylines i have seem to have a similar problem and i know how to fix it, i just have to do it. maybe other setups will work for me, but no matter what i get im still not gonna like the rcp track. ill race on it and do me best. but i like straight speed, like drag racin but with a turn at the end.
would somebody please explain what makes the mini-z a better choice in the race for the fastest lap. now i can understand that the board is bettier, maybe i need to get one, but im not the only one who might not know. perhaps its better usage of the batteries. i get that to, is it just because its less for the batteries to do. ive seen the boards for xmods, but not the mini-z. but i do have an rc with "real electronics" as its a 10th scale gas truck, ive owned several 10th scale rcs and many other radioshack or tyco brand cars n trucks.
I have come to realize the great fun these cars can be, now with the addition of 40 cars at once with the new radios. i can only hope to see a track big enuf to race that many at once. i can do well in this quest for world domination i wont winn all the battles, but we will win the war. ialong the way we will race on a few different tracks, lose a few battles, but with the addition of the right people we can become the fastest in hfay.:cool:

imxlr8ed
2008.04.17, 09:09 AM
Quick answer...

MiniZ, no doubt!

Quick example...

Try using your regular 27mhz AM controller to drive your Xmod... it will not work. Now try it with the Z... hey!... whadya know... it works!!!

Now which one is Hobby-grade?

There's thousands of reasons why you should invest in Zs as opposed to Xmods... I doubt you'll find one person here to disagree with me.

jazzyone
2008.04.17, 09:13 AM
its 7.9 inches long. i think it may be too big for mini-z racing, but with the right stuff you could make it a fun little mini-z mutant. http://www.a2ztoys.com/HPI_Racing/RC_Cars_and_Trucks/HPI-638.html is link for nate. various chassis are included including the tin can chassis. i want the shelby cobra body myself.

jazzyone
2008.04.17, 09:14 AM
i understand they are better, i need spacifics

a7i20ci7y
2008.04.17, 09:48 AM
First up, the steering servo in the miniz is better. You get better range, better precision, better response. The suspension less complicated, which, believe me, is a good thing. The drive train is less complicated. The production quality is better (less slop in the tierod and knuckles). And yes, the electronics package is better (radio reception, power, etc). Now, some of these advantages vary depending on which Z you're using. The AWD gives up a ton of simplicity for the advantage of AWD. All things being equal, the MR02 is the fastest over all and probably will be for some time.

Pretty much everything about the miniz is better, except the price. But even that is pretty reasonable compared to the whole of the hobbydom. The xmod is the classic "the first hit is free" bait to the quality Z addict.

Just give the RCP a chance. Get your car set up right and practice a little and you'll love it. We'll do some oval racing too as soon as you get your track done.

Action B
2008.04.17, 12:21 PM
Will somebody explain what each mini-z chassis has that the other dosent. ive observed that the enzo has a long nose, and may in fact effect its cornering, by putting weight on the nose, more so than every other car i have seen so far with the exception of course for the fxx. the skyline seems well balanced but at its ultimate traction capabilities it is very top heavy. This is very interesting meaning truely , either the tires need to be wider or the body lower, Mind you very small incriments or movement may be needed to solve it. one minght say 3/28ths of an inch may be all it needs in the back. the delta is very well balanced, tho i still believe that the wheel spins itself out of the tire.

Those are all the same chassis with different length options and of course corresponding different bodies (MA-010)

Lancia Delta- 90mm front to back wheelbase
Skyline- 94mm front to back wheelbase
enzo- 98mm front to back wheelbase

The weight is less effected by the body that is used than the battery weight that gets moved forward or backwards depending on the chassis length. The bodies effect is very minimal as far as weight distribution. The body makes a larger difference when its taken into account how a car will respond when it hits a wall.

marc
2008.04.17, 04:29 PM
I don't know if this helps, but car's with an overhanging rear end like the Testarossa tend to swing out alot on turn's. I think the weight of the body out back effect's how it handles the turn's. Shorter car's like the Mclaren, seem to grip better. Maybe grip isn't the right word as that's what the tires do, but they feel grippier. Granted Mclaren is MM, versus the Testarossa which is RM, but my point here is how much weight the car's end has will determin it's handling. Am I correct?