PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Buying mini-z HELP PLZ

newracer
2008.04.20, 10:17 AM
I'd like some advise on buying a mini-z from preferbly a experienced mini-z-er. because my eyes are set on the MR02 series, are these the most modern mini-zs?

575racer
2008.04.20, 10:29 AM
kyosho are always updating, an mr02 is a solid racing setup. if you want to race more than drive round the front room, get a low down body- enzo, lexus sc430 that sort of thing. you dont want to get to the first corner on ye roof:eek: mr02 is cheaper to upgrade though, an awd costs loads to get race ready and the starter set is more. oh, and try and get a ready set with 3010 fets too, they've got better electronics (e.p)

newracer
2008.04.20, 10:50 AM
so enzo and lexus is the way to go, but i was looking at the Ferrari 360 is it just as good as the enzo?

byebye
2008.04.20, 11:07 AM
The Ferrari 360 is a good starter body. It is a 94mm RM body and uses up to +1 front and rear offset normally on an MR-02 chassis. The Enzo has a wider rear wheel offset so it has a little more stability as well as it's a mid-mount motor mount. The 360 GTC is also a good start. You can most likely find those in a ready set.

Kris

Programmers
2008.04.20, 03:04 PM
MR02 is certainly the best bet for a beginner in RC racing.

newracer
2008.04.20, 04:18 PM
The Ferrari 360 is a good starter body. It is a 94mm RM body and uses up to +1 front and rear offset normally on an MR-02 chassis. The Enzo has a wider rear wheel offset so it has a little more stability as well as it's a mid-mount motor mount. The 360 GTC is also a good start. You can most likely find those in a ready set.

Kris

SO your personal opinion enzo or ferrari 360?

Programmers
2008.04.20, 06:46 PM
Having drove both for a few months each, at least I'd say Enzo. In my opinion anyway.

herman
2008.04.21, 01:34 AM
because my eyes are set on the MR02 series, are these the most modern mini-zs?
well if you mean most latest, not quite... the latest in kyosho's mini-z series is the 2.4ghz asf system...

here's a link to a review of it...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27597

and a post with more info on it...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26357

but presently, it's a bit pricey...

so if price is a factor, there are some guys on the forums that are selling good second hand stuff here on the forums (see marketplace)...

all the cars mentioned are pretty cool to drive... enzo's are pretty cool and so are 360gtc... take a look into the 575 too...

good luck on your search...

newracer
2008.04.21, 03:05 AM
ok then it's got to be enzo, 575 or 360 and i'll comfirm it when ifcome and talk to u guys in staffordshire.
ok

Programmers
2008.04.21, 05:28 AM
Yeah, Herman is right... But the 2.4 might be a bit too fast for a beginner. Not to mention that it's not guaranteed that you'll be able to enter the how fast are you... yet.

Neomax
2008.04.21, 07:09 AM
Hey Newracer, glad to hear you may be comming to our Stafford meets, it will be nice to have a newcomer!
I'd have to say i think the Enzo is one of the best setups to run, for both beginner and pro alike, it is very low, good center of gravity, wide offset, and MM (mid mount, well balanced for acceleration and cornering) where as the 360 is a RM (rear mount, more forward traction, less stable in the corners)
MM and RM is where the motor sits in relation to the car, Mid Mount (MM) is when the motor is infront of the rear wheels, tends to be better for stability and control, can understeer a little. and Rear Mount (RM) where the motor is sat behind the rear wheels, better for forward traction and acceleration, has a little more punch (maybe) but tends to spin out easier.

But whatever MR-02 chassis you buy, an MR-02 can be setup to run ANY MR-02 body with the right bits, i.e. a different motor mount, of which are cheap and easy to get hold of!
Different bodys require different wheel offsets, the offset of the wheels is how much they stick out, this varies depending on what shell you want to run.

e.g. the VDII is a +3 front and +3 rear (very wide, the widest) but the Enzo is +1 front and +3 rear, and i'm sure you can imagine how the wheel offset can affect how the car handles!

Hope this helps somewhat!

575racer
2008.04.21, 01:33 PM
just to add to what mal said, smaller front offsets and wide rears are the best setup. smaller tires give sharper handling, then the wide rears give traction. obviously you dont want it the other way round lmao. im running rm now, and tbh im pretty content, no handling issues a new set of tires cant sort out.
oh btw, rm is 94mm wheelbase, mm is 98mm wheelbase, unless you buy a 94mm midmount. the 2.4 i believe has a wider rear... i dont own one yet so im not too sure.
one more thing... on the auction site under mini-z, you might have come accross mini-z sets in orange boxes, with the body, chassis and wheels individual? these are the mr02 i-series, the same chassis, wheels, bodies etc but the e.p. is different, and it doesnt have brakes. one of our members tony has one i think. theyre about 60quid but im not sure of the disadvantages apart from lack of brakes, which most people dont use anyway (better to roll the car through corners). hope you get one soon... any questions on where to get them from give me or any other members a bell and im sure we'll answer:)

newracer
2008.04.21, 02:10 PM
anyone heard anything bout when the next meet is?

Programmers
2008.04.21, 06:21 PM
just to add to what mal said, smaller front offsets and wide rears are the best setup.
Each to their own. My modified car runs perfectly with a wide front. Wide front ends are a popular choice amongst people with fast cars.

anyone heard anything bout when the next meet is?
You'll know when we do mate. Watch this space!

Neomax
2008.04.22, 09:15 AM
Go for a Mini Z Monster, then you dont have to go around the corners, just go over them...and if anyone gets in yer way, just go over them too....lmao

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/malthebarber/Jeep%20CJ5/DSCF3831.jpg

Programmers
2008.04.22, 10:25 AM
Hey Mal, you still owe me some dirt racing! :p

newracer
2008.04.22, 10:46 AM
awsome :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Programmers
2008.04.22, 11:01 AM
<Nit Pick>
There isn't a Ferrari 360 Spider in the Mini-Z autoscale range. The 360 Spider is the convertible version of the 360 Modena.
</Nit Pick>

Just so you know lol.