PDA

View Full Version : How To convert 5 pin servo to 3?

minircw
2008.04.21, 10:07 PM
Hii..

finally i got my i01.. but this i01 is using 5 pin servo instead i02 is using standart 3 pin servo...

Can someone tech me to convert the PCB or Servo for using 3 pin servo if can do ;)

fangel
2008.04.21, 11:22 PM
I don't have the knowledge to help you out, but I remeber reading a post about this a while ago. However I had no luck searching for it today.

I remember it require some electric knowledge for it to be done. Also the post I read is for 5 to 3 pin and not 3 to 5 that you need. In my knowledge it should be different.

minircw
2008.04.22, 02:21 AM
[QUOTE=I remember it require some electric knowledge for it to be done. Also the post I read is for 5 to 3 pin and not 3 to 5 that you need. In my knowledge it should be different.[/QUOTE]

can used 3 to 3 ? need pcb mod ? erm hope can get that post u seen in this iwaver forum =)

fangel
2008.04.22, 10:49 PM
I think the communcation is different for 5 pin and 3 pin.
So I'm preety sure you can't just plug in a 3 pin servo into a 5 pin plug.
As to how to convert it, I guess other more experienced members would have to help you.

Ninja
2008.04.23, 03:13 AM
ok, both servos use a motor and a potentiometer. open up the 3-pin servo, and look at the board inside it. the 3 wires from the main board go to a smaller board in the servo. the board in the servo has 5 wires coming from it to connect to the servo motor and potentiometer. as long as the 5-wire mainboard still has the servo motor and potentiometer connected to it, then this next step should be easy. simply remove the small board from the 3-pin servo, and then connect the 5 wires from the mainboard of the i01 to the proper locations inside the 3-pin servo, to the servo and potentiometer. Everything should work fine.

fangel
2008.04.23, 10:09 PM
hum...
I think I understand, so basically use the 5 wire mainboard to control the 3-pin servo.
However wouldn't that affect or change the performance of the servo?
Since I believe the control board controls the current and accuracy of the motor and potentiometer.
However I could be wrong.

Ninja
2008.04.23, 10:21 PM
the 5-wire mainboard simply has the servo control board already built in, where the 3-wire doesnt. So basically it would be the same effect. This makes it possible to produce the mainboard cheaper, and in my opinion has something to do with the reasoning behind using a seperate servo control by using a standard sub-micro servo.

fangel
2008.04.24, 10:41 PM
You are correct about the reasons why the iwaver 01 use 5 pin servo, not only is it cheaper to produce the servo, but also cheaper and easier to produce the actual chassis PCB as well, since there is less to deal with.
However I'm a bit lost about the conversion, but it basically boils down to two thing. Use the 5 pin servo control board to the 3 pin servo motor and potentiometer, this way it would use the 5 pin servo control board to control it, making a 3 pin to 5 pin conversion for iwaver 01.

Ninja
2008.04.25, 12:24 AM
exactly, simply bypass the servo control board inside the servo, and connect directly to the motor and potentiometer. To use the 02 board (3-wire) in an 01 chassis (5-wire) you could use the servo control board to control the motor and potentiometer in the servo case. all you would have to do it mount it externally like an external turbo for the drive motor.

minircw
2008.04.25, 05:09 AM
hai thnk u for ur infromation.. it help but can u send me a diagram or pic.. coz i afraid my board burn :confused: in malaysia hard to get this pcb if have also is very exp

Ninja
2008.04.25, 07:59 AM
Since I dont have all of the actual parts in front of me, the wire locations and colors may be different than in the picture. The work is self explained, as you simply replace the wire on same location, on different servo.

minircw
2008.04.26, 11:44 AM
Thank Dude that help alot....

erm i got iwaver 01 PCB, how to install 3 wired servo,
i want to put 3 wired futaba micro servo on iwaver 01 mainbord,

Ninja
2008.04.26, 09:15 PM
ok, does your Iwaver 01 mainboard still have all the wires attached for the servo? and can you take the futaba servo apart?

fangel
2008.04.28, 02:55 AM
I think Ninja explaination is very clear, also very direct.
I love the picture you posted. I have saved in my computer for future reference.
Thank you for helping the community.

MiniLI
2008.10.13, 12:34 PM
the 5-wire mainboard simply has the servo control board already built in, where the 3-wire doesnt. So basically it would be the same effect. This makes it possible to produce the mainboard cheaper, and in my opinion has something to do with the reasoning behind using a seperate servo control by using a standard sub-micro servo.

Hi. I just fried my 5-wire servo and am trying to figure out if it is worth replacing with a 3-wire or just get another stock 5-wire. I read somewhere that replacing a 5-wire servo with a 3-wire servo will provide better steering response, is this due to better components (servo, potentiometer)? Or, is the steering response governed by the scb & reciever (which is what I think)?