PDA

View Full Version : Couple battery questions

jimbo
2008.04.22, 10:11 PM
I have been using some 1000 mAh batteries for some time but after reading some reviews about the higher mAh batteries im starting to think that they are not charging all the way. i am using the radio shack xmod charger and i am not sure how it determines if they are charged. is there a way to find out? i know i can use a volt meter but i am asking because i had 2 sets of batteries suddenly no longer hold a charge.

my second question my seem kind of dumb but how do you guys take the batteries out of your MR-02 i have been using the battery clips and now the end of the batteries are fraying and i am afraid i will destroy the batteries. with xmods i would get so pissed at them i just banged them on the table and the batteries fell out but i love my mini-z so im to afraid to try.

mustanglover
2008.04.22, 10:17 PM
if you run to wal mart they have some enigizer's with a 15 mins charger, if you get the charger i will give you 4 batteries. but if you leave you batteries in the car to long they could start battery corrosion if iam sure, so you might want to get them out if you find out about them clips, i never has a mr-02. , so good luck and i hope you get more advanced help with them batteries.

Ninja
2008.04.23, 03:07 AM
Jimbo, In the bottom of your 02 chassis there are 2 slots in the battery tray, push the corner of your battery clip thrugh the slot and it will pop the inner batts out, the outer ones are easy.

DJ Kyosho
2008.04.23, 03:11 AM
I have been using some 1000 mAh batteries for some time but after reading some reviews about the higher mAh batteries im starting to think that they are not charging all the way. i am using the radio shack xmod charger and i am not sure how it determines if they are charged. is there a way to find out? i know i can use a volt meter but i am asking because i had 2 sets of batteries suddenly no longer hold a charge.

my second question my seem kind of dumb but how do you guys take the batteries out of your MR-02 i have been using the battery clips and now the end of the batteries are fraying and i am afraid i will destroy the batteries. with xmods i would get so pissed at them i just banged them on the table and the batteries fell out but i love my mini-z so im to afraid to try.

For your first question, I've been using the duracell 15 and 30 minute charger and I've never had a problem with batteries dumping. I use 1000, 900, 800 and 750 mAh batteries on them. Don't know if that answers your question.

For your second question, I've been using the battery clips also and my batteries seem to hold up fine. What brand are you using?

jimbo
2008.04.23, 06:55 AM
thanks guys I used the slots once but never knew that, that's what they were for. I am getting a new charger for my birthday I think I might get one that tells you what level the batteries are at.

neweraz84
2008.04.24, 09:38 PM
I've got some 1000 mah batts as well, and my charger will not charge them all the way either. I guess some of these high capacity batts wont work with some older chargers.

EMU
2008.04.25, 03:35 AM
Jimbo, I recommend the LaCrosse BC-900. Pretty cheap at Amazon or ThomasDistributing (around $40 shipped for the charger, carry bag, 4xAAA, 4xAA, 4x C adapters, 4xD adapters). I think its quite a deal, considering that you get a charger with 4xAA for around the same price if you get it locally. Thing is... that charger is usually not that great.

With the LaCrosse, I recommend charging AAA cells no higher than 700ma passively cooled. If you actively cool them, you can charge them a 1000ma. The cells will get too hot, and stop charging or false peak.

I prefer the LaCrosse to the Powerex/Maha MH-C9000 for racing. The cells seem to have more punch when charged at the same amperage. I prefer the Powerex to test cells capacity, since it doesnt auto charge after you discharge. Each charger is good, just slight differences in the features. For the price, I would get 2x Lacrosse chargers.

jimbo
2008.04.25, 06:38 PM
ok thanks i was thinking about getting that charger and possibly putting a fan on it to cool down the batteries because i found some 1800mah AAA batteries:eek:

EMU
2008.04.25, 06:52 PM
I dont know if I would trust the 1800mah cells. They may not have any punch... I have not seen them from any reliable battery manufacturer.

If you find well known manufacturers for the 1800mah cells, please post here about them...

mleemor60
2008.04.25, 08:41 PM
ok thanks i was thinking about getting that charger and possibly putting a fan on it to cool down the batteries because i found some 1800mah AAA batteries:eek:

They are green and stamped as 1800mah and they are cheaper than the shipping. I bought 2 sets thinking they might me a speed secret. Now I use them for paper weights. They are very effective in that role. Out of the box, Orions are excellant, both versions. I personally lean toward the BP 1000s. They have good numbers and are very smooth across the discharge(race) They are less punchy which isn't bad for an old guy or a Noob. Even the 850s that come with the La Crosse charger are very good after a few charges.

jimbo
2008.04.25, 09:53 PM
yeah i saw those but i was thinking about getting it from another company, more expensive but i am going to try them and possibly some 1200mah batteries that are $8 a pair:eek:

jimbo
2008.04.26, 07:50 PM
ok i found a whole bunch of battery brands to try but i don't want to buy $300 i think it added up to in batteries to find the best one to buy $50 more of. so far i have heard of these brands.

CTA digital
R03
accupower
energizer
starpower
tenergy
nexcell
kodak
fujicell
GP
maha
Vapex
duracell
intellect
sanyo
lenmar
Better power

which of these are really good and which ones should i stay away from. Are there some i should try? i found a place to get all of these but the fujicell, vapex and lenamr. where can i get them. thanks

mleemor60
2008.04.26, 08:27 PM
For my liking, Duracells are very good. Off the shelf Orions, 900 or 1100 are very good and real economical. My personal favorites (not on your list) for their smoothness of power application are the BP(Better Power)1000's from Reflex racing. I have one set each of the 1wurks matched Orions and they scared the bejesus out of me. I'm not ready to steer with the throttle. Just as in life, "Ya pays yer nickel and ya takes yer chances"

jimbo
2008.04.26, 10:02 PM
ok thanks imy friend has duracells and they work great so i think i will give them a try. i want to try these batteries because they are over 1000mah, so i want to see how they preform.

CTA digital
R03
accupower
starpower
tenergy

Action B
2008.04.27, 09:09 PM
You can pick up 900mah energizers at wal mart 10 bucks for 4. They also sell a compatible 15 minute charger, great if you only have a couple sets and want to cycle through some practice runs. I noticed though, today, that the 850 mah stamped packages for the energizers actually had 900mah stamped batteries inside. Make sure you look at the batteries inside of the package as it seems that the outer packaging may not be correct.

From my experience, the energizers are better than the rayovak rechargeables and the radio shack, however, I haven't had a shot at the duracells for comparison.

EMU
2008.04.27, 09:33 PM
From my experience, the Energizer 15 minute chargers charge with too high amperage. Which causes the cells to have drastically reduced life. If I remember correctly, it charges at 2.8A... The Duracell 30 minute charger charges at 1.7A, which is still quite high. Charging should be at the 1C. Which is at the rating of capacity. a 700mah cell should be charged at or below 700mah. A 1000mah cell should be charged at or below 1A (1000 mA). Charging above that rate will reduce the life of the cells.

Most 15 or 30 minute fast smart chargers do not complete the charge in the stated charge time frame. They will fast charge, then top off... at a lower rate, high trickle. After the cell is topped off, they will go into a low trickle to keep the cells topped off.

For our use, this is not really recommended. As trickle charging will make the cells less punchy, but have higher capacity. We want the most punch we can have for 5-10 minutes, depending on race length. I try to remove my cells from the chargers as soon as the fast charge is complete. Not to let them trickle for a long period of time.

There are no true hobby grade AA/AAA chargers that are perfectly suited for racing. The closest are the LaCrosse BC-900 and Maha Powerex MH-C9000. They are not targeted for RC use, but targeted for digital camera users primarily. The charge rate can be set, and batteries can be cycled/tested for capacity. They both will charge fast, and trickle after they complete the fast charge to top them off.

Most hobby grade racing chargers used for larger scales will not trickle charge after they have completed the charge. Which means, when the charger has sensed that they have peaked, and are full... they will be faster than a charger that trickles after it is peaked. You can also set the peak detection values...

Action B
2008.04.28, 05:04 AM
I can check charge rates of the energizer charger and post it up. I'm using it either way, its an economical thing for me, and convenience. I know they may not be the best. Some of the guys at the local club have been using them for 2+ years.

jimbo
2008.04.28, 06:42 AM
Anyone know how long the la crosse bc-900 takes to charge a set of 1000mah aaa's? thanks

EMU
2008.04.28, 12:26 PM
Depends on the charge rate. At 700ma it should take a little more than an hour and a half if the cells are fully discharged. At 1000ma, it should take a little more than an hour if the cells are fully discharged. Generally, you lose a little energy when charging due to heat. You will not charge 1000mah in an hour if using a 1000ma charge rate.

jimbo
2008.04.29, 03:31 PM
Oh thats a bit longer than i thought. Does anyone know what batteries that i listed on the first page i should stay away from or ones i should try? thanks