PDA

View Full Version : PN Anti-Sway Bar for the MR-015

GIHOSU
2008.04.28, 08:28 PM
Hi fellow Mini-Zers, I am hoping that us MR-015 fans will get a little love. We should ask PN to make a setup for the MR-015 along with the AWD and MR-02. If there is a Mini-Z that really needs one, it is our beloved MR-015. With pronounced car lean in corners this chassis will benefit the most.

I think that the MR-015 will do great with a front anti-sway bar. Philip, please bend some wire that is a few mm shorter so MR-015 lovers can have even more fun. I agree that it is a car that is more fun to drive. I enjoy the challenge.

I picked up the AWD anti-sway bars and have had track time with the front set. I was on a RCP track with many 180' turns. I ran a set of batteries w/o and for the 2nd set I put on the front bar. The car was faster on throttle in turns with less push and more front wheel pull. I am going to soften the front springs and see what the effect is like. We need one for th MR-015.

I am getting myself ready for a MR-015 chassis with the better board. I have bodies, motor mounts, tires and suspension parts all ready to go. I also found a great Nascar sticker set and a white body to use as my 1st Mini-Z custom paint job. I have painted the inside, but not the outside yet. The part that is missing from the formula now is the anti-sway bar.

Please Philip, please?

marc
2008.04.28, 10:24 PM
From what I've read here I don't think they will for the MR15. It's just not as popular to race as the MR02 chassis.

EMU
2008.04.29, 01:17 AM
I would also like to see them. The ones for the MR02 are a tight fit, I will be testing them out this week to see if I like them. I am also going to soften up the front springs a bit when I test them. Current running PN white. Going to try PN purple or green.

I do welcome some body roll, as it adds to the mid corner dig a bit. Cars that dont lean much have great transition, but the mid corner loses a bit. Cars with more lean tend to have harder mid corner bite but are slower in the transition. I wouldnt want to use the anti sway bar on a car like the lexus has very little roll.

Ninja
2008.04.29, 01:40 AM
I have read this, and wouldnt a rear anti-roll bar setup benefit more on these cars? I have an idea of how one could be setup.

Replacing the little triangle mount with one that extends out the back, just past the chassis, with a hole through it horizonally. Then the ends of the bar could mount at the screws that hold the T-bar to the motor mount.

Yes, this would have a similar effect to a roll shock set, or a dps, but I think it would look alot cleaner, and no worries about antenna or Core Transponder interferance. ;)

GIHOSU
2008.04.29, 09:46 PM
We already have the ability to tune anti-sway in the back with T-bar choices and suspension choices. The MR-015 just needs a front set up the way my MR-01 has already. I am about to setup 2 MR-015s and only the front end is a big concern. The rear can be stiffened up but that leaves the front end reacting much differently, I prefer a pretty firm setup but that front end with only 2 springs can be improved. If it comes down to it we can always cut and try to weld back together the bar. I am willing to try.

Any thoughts?

Ninja
2008.04.30, 05:56 AM
I wish I had an 015 to test on :( but I think a modified 01 sway bar would work fine, just needs a fabricated mount

GIHOSU
2008.05.15, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately the structure of the MR-01 is too different to use those parts on the MR-015, a good bit of fabrication would be needed.

I was looking at the MR-02 anti-sway bars and I think a piece of piano wire shaped the right way and the parts from the kit could be reworked to fit. Some experimenting is on the way. Since they share knuckles and and have the same mounting points I think this may work.

Cherub1m
2008.05.15, 11:48 AM
I would like to see a front swing/sway bar for the MR-015. Like GIHOSU stated "If there is a Mini-Z that really needs one, it is our beloved MR-015". They are fun to drive and I think they should be the true stock class.

Schubs
2008.05.27, 04:50 PM
I wonder if you could heat and bend the 02's bar to fit the 015. or do you guys think it would just break?

GIHOSU
2008.05.27, 06:09 PM
After looking at the MR-02 front bar it looks like there isn't enough space between the kingpin and the chassis for it to work the way it is made by just shortening it. The bar won't fit with the bends it has, something different will be needed. The hardware could be useful but a different bar design is needed. I think it's time to find some .060" piano wire.

Is anyone else trying to make this setup work?

TALLGEESE
2008.05.29, 03:44 PM
If you really wanted to run the PN Anti-Sway bar kit on an MR-015, you could possibly try running PN's aluminum front upper and lower tower bar set for the MR-02... You would also have to use a steering bar for an MR-02.. Also depending on what body you're running you might have to run -1 offset wheels up front to clear some of the narrower bodies with less wheel offset...

GIHOSU
2008.05.29, 08:25 PM
The dimensions are not changed as far as the distance between the kingpins when you use the PN parts. The PN front top tower bar may be needed, depending on how the piano wire would have to be shaped. The upper mounting points on the chassis for the kingpin don't leave alot of space.

The bends in the MR-02 bar will not fit a MR-015, there isn't enough space between the chassis and the kingpins. There will have to be a different bend to that piece of wire, something like the new Atomic setup for the MA-010. If the mounting points for the bar on top of the knuckles were pointed forwards it might work.

TALLGEESE
2008.05.29, 10:46 PM
The dimensions are not changed as far as the distance between the kingpins when you use the PN parts.

The bends in the MR-02 bar will not fit a MR-015, there isn't enough space between the chassis and the kingpins. QUOTE]

GIHOSU, as you might already know, PN makes 2 different upper and lower tower bar sets for the MR-02.. One is for converting an MR-02 to the more narrow MR-015 front-end/suspension, and another that converts the stock MR-02 front end from plastic to Aluminum for more strength and durability..

If you were to run the PN MR-015 tower bar conversion set for the MR-02 on a MR-015, you would end up with the same dimensions/distance between the kingpins as an MR-015. As you stated in you're previous post.. What I'm saying is that you run the upper and lower tower bar set for the MR-02 instead, and not the MR-015 so you'll basically be putting a {wider}MR-02 front-end on a MR-015..

This should make the front end of you're MR-015 wider.. It will also give you more space between the chassis and the kingpins{same as MR-02 specs}so you'll be able to run the MR-02 Anti-Sway Bar kit..

Just for comparison, I've included a picture of both the MR-015 conversion kit and the MR-02 kit.. You can tell just by looking at the pics that the MR-02 front end is obviously wider than the MR-015.. Also since you have to grind-off the plastic upper and lower kingpin holders/A-arms just to install the conversion kits and the Anti-Sway Bar kit anyway.. That also should give you more room to run the AntiSway-Bar... If for some reason there still wasn't enough room you could possibly remove around 2-3mm from each end of the sway-bar for even more clearance... Hope this helps you out...

GIHOSU
2008.05.30, 08:13 AM
Hey Tallgeese, thanks for the suggestion. I thought about it too but I wasn't considering using the MR-02 tower bar and lower bar. MR-015 bodies won't fit and I have to stick with MR-015 bodies because of local stock class racing rules, so I ruled out the MR-02 parts.

The MR-015 kingpins are 41mm from eachother and the MR-02 has them 46mm apart. The chassis dimensions are the same for the 2 at 26mm wide. With the kingpins 2.5mm each closer to the chassis, that is were the problem is with the way PN bent the wire for the MR-02. PN's kit requires removal of the top kingpin mounts at least and use of their front tower bar, the stock MR-02chassis doesn't have the clearance either.

A piece of piano wire bent to fit the tight space and that still acts like an anti-sway bar is my focus, I think that will be the big challenge.

EMU
2008.05.30, 02:06 PM
Just thought I should point out, ehe screw holes for the top cover are not the same on the 02 as the 015. So you would have to drill new ones.

VAzRACER
2008.05.30, 04:15 PM
Just thought I should point out, ehe screw holes for the top cover are not the same on the 02 as the 015. So you would have to drill new ones.

Which holes are different? I dont have a 015 but I sometimes put the PN 015 bar on my 02 and everyting works fine. I'm not saying your wrong or anything, I'm just curious about it. Thanks.

VAzRACER
2008.05.30, 07:01 PM
Please disregard my last post, I figured out that the PN 015 bars are made to fit the 02 and narrow the front to an 015 width and that they dont actully fit an 015. Sorry about that.

Cherub1m
2008.07.09, 10:37 AM
Hi Everyone

I with just a small modification the MR 02 PN Sway bar should fit the MR 015. I just did a modification to my AWD with the MR 02 Sway bar and it fits. And I think it will fit the MR 015 just as well. Only modification will be cutting the wire to fit, and position the two black pieces (alum. pieces that are under the springs) fwd instead of toward the chassis. If you look at pchan0 AWD Sway bar mod in the MA010 section you will get the idea. When I do my MR015 Ill post it.

Anything to remove that dreaded body roll that translate into flipping in the MR015 and MA010 (AWD, mainly left turns:D)

Cherub1m
2008.07.09, 07:14 PM
I got the MR02 sway bar to work for the MR015. Ill post some picture soon.

Cherub1m
2008.07.15, 08:36 AM
Well, I need to do some tweaking first before I post it. What I do notice is better left to right, right to left transition during turns. However, this did not cure the flipping problem, body roll plays a part in flipping but tire grip plays a bigger part. Basicaly I need to shorten the width of the bar and use shorter front springs and shim the piece that fit under the springs to keep it from rubbing the wheel (where the bearings sit), or just get knukles that have the wheel axel set lower (most likely wont do that since that will raise the front end)

Cherub1m
2008.10.11, 02:27 PM
Well, I need to do some tweaking first before I post it. What I do notice is better left to right, right to left transition during turns. However, this did not cure the flipping problem, body roll plays a part in flipping but tire grip plays a bigger part. Basicaly I need to shorten the width of the bar and use shorter front springs and shim the piece that fit under the springs to keep it from rubbing the wheel (where the bearings sit), or just get knukles that have the wheel axel set lower (most likely wont do that since that will raise the front end)

:D:D Oops!!!

I did not finish my post here. Well, I abandoned the sway bar for the 015 to much sticking of the steering. It did help left to right transition but that did not translate into better lap times. Tire choice and wheel off set will play a bigger role in reducing flipping. I would like to see a front upper and lower alum bar made for the 015, also would like to see one that is MR02 length.

Sorry no pictures I removed everything and its somewhere on my work desk. :D

EMU
2008.10.12, 07:06 PM
Philip, I am in the process of having MR02 width towers made for the MR015. They will be based off of the original PN towers, not the v2, with a few changes. I will post more info when it gets closer to release.

GIHOSU
2008.10.12, 09:35 PM
Hello Eugene,

I will certainly be interested in aquiring a few sets of those myself. Let us know about the progress...

EMU
2008.10.12, 10:12 PM
First release will be a very limited run, maybe 40-50 sets (it may sound like a lot, but I am going to have at least 10 put aside for personal use and friends). I have to get a quote for the cost of production before I decide. Either way, I am going to stock Action RC and Reflex, if I produce more... then I will stock the shop here.

Prototype test with MR02 towers:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25670&stc=1&d=1223867602

Cherub1m
2008.10.14, 07:20 AM
First release will be a very limited run, maybe 40-50 sets (it may sound like a lot, but I am going to have at least 10 put aside for personal use and friends). I have to get a quote for the cost of production before I decide. Either way, I am going to stock Action RC and Reflex, if I produce more... then I will stock the shop here.

Prototype test with MR02 towers:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25670&stc=1&d=1223867602

Hi Eugene

Looks very nice. Keep us posted. Also, do you know if they will have a regular 015 size one?

EMU
2008.10.14, 11:47 AM
They? I am having these custom made, and stocking them at Reflex. You can get the JPL MR015 upper tower (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18111&cat=0&page=1) and use the MR02 -> MR015 lower tower from the PN or Atomic set. Not very cost effective, but I am sure it will be cheaper than having them custom made.

Cherub1m
2008.10.14, 12:35 PM
They? I am having these custom made, and stocking them at Reflex. You can get the JPL MR015 upper tower (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18111&cat=0&page=1) and use the MR02 -> MR015 lower tower from the PN or Atomic set. Not very cost effective, but I am sure it will be cheaper than having them custom made.

Oops, sorry not they :D. Thanks for the info aout JPL MR015 alum upper tower.