PDA

View Full Version : Motor Soldering

Jebroni
2008.04.29, 10:48 AM
Well, it seems the one thing that I keep doing is pulling wires out of motors. I have yet to Solder ANYTHING. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on do's and don'ts when it comes to motors...... I just want to make sure I can repair them correctly. Thanks in advance!!! :cool: ;)

Action B
2008.04.29, 02:49 PM
From my expereince you just solder those back on without worries just how it looks. My girlfriend soldered her stock motor wires onto an Xmod stage 2 motor for use in her car a week ago and it was her first time soldering anything. She just looked at another motor for reference and went for it. I've never had a problem with a motor from soldering, I've done tons.

I have heard some people rough up contacts a little with sandpaper if the solder won't stick though. Its never been an issue for me.

kja812
2008.04.29, 03:13 PM
Step 1. Pre-tin the wire a bit
Step 2. Apply heat to the motor tab for a second or two
Step 3. Hold wire up to the tab and add solder
Step 4. Keep the heat on there for another couple seconds until you see the solder flow up the wire strands
Step 5. Remove heat.

You should never have to retouch/reheat the solder joint a second time if
you pre-tin the wires and apply enough heat before and after the solder is added the first time.

Hope this helps.

pomme de terre
2008.04.29, 09:08 PM
If youre worried, just practice soldering some scrap wire together or grab an old motor and practice on that.

atallfunguy
2008.12.29, 03:35 PM
Well, it seems the one thing that I keep doing is pulling wires out of motors. I have yet to Solder ANYTHING. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on do's and don'ts when it comes to motors...... I just want to make sure I can repair them correctly. Thanks in advance!!! :cool: ;)

The most important fact when changing motors...

Dont solder the wire on the board side... Leave this wire alone..

Solder on the motor side.. motors can take much more heat than the circuit board..

Starsky
2009.01.04, 05:02 PM
I have some experience soldering from practicing on my old X-Mods. My advice is practice on something you wouldn't regret screwing up (like some loose wires or an x-mod ;) ). Soldering actually comes really quickly to you after a few tries.

bmxtrev
2009.01.06, 10:56 PM
make sure you flux the two parts you want to solder together. otherwise the wire'll probably come off again [from my experience] :)