PDA

View Full Version : New rules for MR-015 class at Maj's Hobby Shop

Cherub1m
2008.05.01, 12:49 PM
New rules for MR-015 class

1) you can use any MR-015 body, except for the CR5Corvette, and Ferrari 360 Moderna. Also, you cannot use any MR-015 body that will fit an MR02 chassis without modification.

2) Chassis wheel base has to match auto scale body wheel base (ex. if you have a 94mm body your chassis must be 94mm, if you have 98mm body your chassis must be 98mm and so on...), you can use any after market upgrades for the chassis has long has its does not interfere with the rules

3) Must use a speedy 05 motor, later we may consider using the new pn pnwc stock motor for this class if everyone is ok with it.

4) Stock AM PCB, (3004 or 3010 fets, only 1x1, basicaly stock), any transmitter

5) You can remove some plastic that is not visable from outside. You can remove part of windows as long as its not noticable from outside.

6) No lexan window replacement. No dremelling of body to allow wider tire offsets. Basically try to leave the body looking stock from the outside

7) Rubber tires only, no foams, no traction compound.

I thinks this class is going to be fun.
Later

herman
2008.05.01, 10:24 PM
1) you can use any MR-015 body, except for the CR5 Corvette, and Ferrari 360 Moderna.

hmmm... just wondering why?

the cr5 and 360 first came out on a mr01 chassis... so i don't see why this will be dissallowed on the mr015...

EMU
2008.05.01, 10:39 PM
I agree that they should not be permitted. As well as the NSX and F40. These bodies, if produced today, would be fit for the MR02 to use. The new F40 is labeled for the MR02, I dont know why they labeled the newer C5R for the MR015 as it should have been for the MR02.

At Action, we cannot use any body that will fit an MR02 without modification. As this would be bodies that could only use the MR015. The rule was put into place to allow people to run bodies that look good, but would not be practical for racing in a stock class.

Cherub1m
2008.05.03, 08:32 AM
hmmm... just wondering why?

the cr5 and 360 first came out on a mr01 chassis... so i don't see why this will be dissallowed on the mr015...

Herman

Another reason, everyone would run the CR5, or the 360 moderna, because these bodies are the only 94mm 015 bodies you can run a very wide off-set front and rear, making them very stable. While with the other 94mm 015 bodies you cant have that wide of an off set. Some of the 90mm and 86 have a wider off-set but you have to run a rear mount and deal with a much shorter wheel base. Some wondered about the Lambo. JOTA SVR I not worried about that one cause it has such a narrow front off-set and a very wide rear off-set, with that kind of tricycle effect, one thing is for sure thing for; increased flipping with an 015 chassis.

I agree that they should not be permitted. As well as the NSX and F40. These bodies, if produced today, would be fit for the MR02 to use. The new F40 is labeled for the MR02, I dont know why they labeled the newer C5R for the MR015 as it should have been for the MR02.

At Action, we cannot use any body that will fit an MR02 without modification. As this would be bodies that could only use the MR015. The rule was put into place to allow people to run bodies that look good, but would not be practical for racing in a stock class.

Eugene

Yeah i did not include the F-40 and NSX (in the illegal list) because I believe now they are labled for the MR-02.

I did get a Nissan 350z to run for the 015 class :D. Its not hooking up like yours yet, but I am working on it.

bermbuster
2008.05.03, 11:16 AM
i have a lot of 015 bodies....now which one will I try first....:D

rc100722
2008.05.03, 02:20 PM
the new 300c is a good b/c its the only 98mm body for 015

EMU
2008.05.04, 01:12 AM
I tried the Jota today. Set it up for Magic to drive. It works quite well. I had it set up with 1N/3N wheels. Magic changed it to 3W :eek: It isnt as nimble as my 350z, but drives well. My 350z is still breaking in its new front tires :( so it will take a little while until it is back up to speed. Maybe I should try a different type of tire that doesnt need as long of a break in. The track at Action has much less wear on the tires compared to what it used to, I used to break in these tires in a race night, right now the tires barely look worn at all. I might have to do it with sandpaper. The layouts havent been good for the way my 015 is setup, it likes faster corners, since I have it geared up quite high and I dont have much low end punch.

The 300C is a good body. I think I won an Action 015 championship with mine... I know I won the first NYC Championship 015 class with it last year... I need to get my car back to the front of the pack. I lost one race last points series, coming in 2nd to Roland. This point series I have only won 2 out of 5. I think I am going to give up F1 and possibly Nascar to get my main 3 classes in order. 02 stock, 015, and Mod 02. So I can prepare for the NYC Chamipionship race.

I do like that you are restricting the wheelbase to the bodies true wheelbase. Although, I have found that running some shorter bodies on the longer wheelbase, doesnt turn out too well since there is very little rear overhang to balance the bodies weight.

015 really is my favorite class to race. Followed closely by 02 mod, then 02. I had the lead in all 3 of those classes tonight, for a while... but it slipped away in all three.

bermbuster
2008.05.04, 01:25 PM
the new 300c is a good b/c its the only 98mm body for 015

I got one and Im planning on trying it.....:D
I just need to figure out my tire selection.....;)

Cherub1m
2008.05.04, 07:16 PM
New rules for MR-015 class

1) you can use any MR-015 body, except for the CR5Corvette, and Ferrari 360 Moderna. Also, you cannot use any MR-015 body that will fit an MR02 chassis without modification.

2) Chassis wheel base has to match auto scale body wheel base (ex. if you have a 94mm body your chassis must be 94mm, if you have 98mm body your chassis must be 98mm and so on...), you can use any after market upgrades for the chassis has long has its does not interfere with the rules

3) Must use a speedy 05 motor, later we may consider using the new pn pnwc stock motor for this class if everyone is ok with it.

4) Stock AM PCB, (3004 or 3010 fets, only 1x1, basicaly stock), any transmitter

5) You can remove some plastic that is not visable from outside. You can remove part of windows as long as its not noticable from outside.

6) No lexan window replacement. No dremelling of body to allow wider tire offsets. Basically try to leave the body looking stock from the outside

I thinks this class is going to be fun.
Later

Addition to rule # 1. Basicaly, you cannot use any MR-015 body that will fit an MR02 chassis without modification.

jshemi
2008.05.12, 07:31 PM
Hey George I'm almost finished with my 01-5 just need tires and rims. So if you still have that body for me that wpuld be great!:D:D Because thier hard to get:( Thanks alot!! George!! I'll see you thursday?

bermbuster
2008.05.13, 03:14 AM
Hey George I'm almost finished with my 01-5 just need tires and rims. So if you still have that body for me that wpuld be great!:D:D Because thier hard to get:( Thanks alot!! George!! I'll see you thursday?

Im in California Jimmy...I got the body for you....I will not make it this thursday...

Slubben
2008.05.13, 07:18 AM
Jimmy if you need a body to run on Thursday I got a couple so you can use one.

Cherub1m
2008.05.15, 01:52 PM
Maj and Sean brought to my attention the VW GTI and VW R32. The GTI is a MR015 body and the R32 is a MA10 body, both bodies are almost identical and dont offer any advantages, except the MA10 body you wont be able to use the wheels that come with the body, because they are for the AWD. In short you can use either one for the MR015 class.

Note: No other MA10 body has been accepted in this class except the R32 only. That was for those that like to stretch the rules a bit.:D

bermbuster
2008.05.16, 07:30 AM
now that the smoke has cleared from last nights racing....
what happened in the 015 class???:D

Slubben
2008.05.16, 08:58 AM

The 015 Class was A LOT of fun. Ended up having six cars in the A-Main. Can't wait till we are all running the same motor. As always there was a battle between Sai and Maj followed by "Flipper" Vicent, myself, Pete and RC. Two VWs bodies, Two 350zs, a Porsche and a 300. Jimmy's car wasn't ready for this week's race but he finally was able to take it around the track!! :D

Cherub1m
2008.05.18, 09:07 AM

When will you be back George? The 015 class awaits you.

The 015 Class was A LOT of fun. Ended up having six cars in the A-Main. Can't wait till we are all running the same motor. As always there was a battle between Sai and Maj followed by "Flipper" Vicent, myself, Pete and RC. Two VWs bodies, Two 350zs, a Porsche and a 300. Jimmy's car wasn't ready for this week's race but he finally was able to take it around the track!! :D

Just like Sean said...except for the "Flipper vicent" part :D. Its Slip Angle... Slip Angle Vincent. :D

Also, I have temporally retired the K. Takahashi Skyline, to make way for the Mazda RX-7 FD3S (and no... not the Takahashi Mazda RX-7FD3S because of my resent result with his Skyline that name has also been temporarily retired. :D), still 90mm rear mount, but lower body and slightly wider off set. Result on the basement carpet seemed comparable to the 350Z Fairlady. We will see how well these results translate into the RCP

Unfortunately I will be out for the next two Thursdays, so play hard and have fun. :D

Slubben
2008.05.18, 09:25 AM
Jimmy and I ran the 70t motors after breaking them in yesterday they were a lot of fun evenly matched. His car had an advantage on the straight because of the 98mm wheelbase but my 94mm caught up in the turns. I think this is going to be a great class. Its really going to be a drivers class the only real tweaking I can see being done is battery and those vodoo drops.

bermbuster
2008.05.18, 10:52 AM
Jimmy and I ran the 70t motors after breaking them in yesterday they were a lot of fun evenly matched. His car had an advantage on the straight because of the 98mm wheelbase but my 94mm caught up in the turns. I think this is going to be a great class. Its really going to be a drivers class the only real tweaking I can see being done is battery and those vodoo drops.

Im in for this Thursday.....Did Jimmy get a 300???
I got some "stealth parts" in California....
Did you break in the motors in H2o or WD40 ?

Cherub1m
2008.05.18, 02:29 PM
Im in for this Thursday.....Did Jimmy get a 300???
I got some "stealth parts" in California....
Did you break in the motors in H2o or WD40 ?

Hi George

After the Atomic race I stopped using H20 and WD40 to break-in motors. I use the same 3 volt setting and use a drop of Voodoo drops on the comm and bushings, and let it run for 15 to 20 min.

Slubben
2008.05.18, 03:38 PM
We used WD40 to break them in. Took about 40 minutes or so

bermbuster
2008.05.18, 05:19 PM
Hi George

After the Atomic race I stopped using H20 and WD40 to break-in motors. I use the same 3 volt setting and use a drop of Voodoo drops on the comm and bushings, and let it run for 15 to 20 min.

I heard some guys are now using beer to break in there motors....:D
go figure....
I guess the break in media (H2o, WD40, beer,voo doo drops, etc...) works differently on the different motors (specifically the brushes). We will find out in the coming weeks who has the best method for the new 70t PN stocker....
The 015 class has some real potential and I cant wait for this Thursday.....

Slubben
2008.05.18, 05:36 PM
Ive never thought of using beer maybe some Olde English for an extra buzz tho!

Cherub1m
2008.05.18, 06:18 PM
I heard some guys are now using beer to break in there motors....:D
go figure....
I guess the break in media (H2o, WD40, beer,voo doo drops, etc...) works differently on the different motors (specifically the brushes). We will find out in the coming weeks who has the best method for the new 70t PN stocker....
The 015 class has some real potential and I cant wait for this Thursday.....

Ive just heard that complete emersion of the motor is not good due to the risk of making the brushes more brittle as a result of brushes heating up and cooling down to fast. Both methods seem to work ok for me. I prefer using the voodoo drops because its not has messy. In addition dont forget to clean you motor with motor spray after whatever method you use and then re-lub your bushings.

Ive never thought of using beer maybe some Olde English for an extra buzz tho!

The RCP Police would give you a DUI.

Slubben
2008.05.18, 07:30 PM
Ive just heard that complete emersion of the motor is not good due to the risk of making the brushes more brittle as a result of brushes heating up and cooling down to fast. Both methods seem to work ok for me. I prefer using the voodoo drops because its not has messy. In addition dont forget to clean you motor with motor spray after whatever method you use and then re-lub your bushings.

The RCP Police would give you a DUI.

I dont really see how placing the motor in any kind of liquid would make it either heat up or cool faster. Once its in the liquid of your choice the temp should remain consistant with how long the motor runs the only time the motor would cool down was if you reduced the voltage or when you stopped breaking the motor in and it seems to me that just going by temp that would happen in any situation unless WD40 or water makes the brushes more brittle on their own.

Cherub1m
2008.05.18, 08:29 PM
I dont really see how placing the motor in any kind of liquid would make it either heat up or cool faster. Once its in the liquid of your choice the temp should remain consistant with how long the motor runs the only time the motor would cool down was if you reduced the voltage or when you stopped breaking the motor in and it seems to me that just going by temp that would happen in any situation unless WD40 or water makes the brushes more brittle on their own.

I agree with your logic. For some reason the guys from Atomic felt emersion of the motor increased the risk of hurting your brushes. Only thing I can think of right now is the eddy that is created during full emersion could create an environment that is not at constant temperature. So while the motor splashes around the pool of whatever substance your using, different areas of the substance will be at different temps. Oh well, who knows.

Cherub1m
2008.05.18, 09:41 PM
The new addition to Slip Angle Chaser's 015 garage. :D

Slubben
2008.05.19, 06:02 AM
Nice lil street racer there :D

bermbuster
2008.05.19, 06:38 AM
I agree with your logic. For some reason the guys from Atomic felt emersion of the motor increased the risk of hurting your brushes. Only thing I can think of right now is the eddy that is created during full emersion could create an environment that is not at constant temperature. So while the motor splashes around the pool of whatever substance your using, different areas of the substance will be at different temps. Oh well, who knows.
I dont know how Atomic preps the brush but if they serrate the ends
"liquid" dipping will cause the serrations to wear off rapidly. Once you lose brush length you lose spring tension and then we all know what happens.
The next factor is how hard is the carbon being used. The softer the carbon
the better for liquid dipping. The liquid absorbs into the carbon allowing it to take shape to the commutator without arcing or grooving the shaft, hence making the motor more efficient and powerful. Now the question becomes to dip or not to dip.......

Slubben
2008.05.19, 07:26 AM
I really dont think there is any real way to tell which is better because there are too many variables, how well was the motor made to begin with, how well were the brushes made and how well were they seated to begin with just to name a few. There is where Mini-Z science blends with Mini-Z art. The only way we can judge a motor in reality is if it seems faster on the track or lasts longer and as we all know you can have great success doing something someway once and then the next time you do it you don't get the same results.

rc100722
2008.05.19, 05:38 PM
i notice that by breakin in water the brush wear down quick i broke in my 70 turn in water and went threw the stock brush in 10 min in water that pn motor takes a long time to break in i all ready broke the motor case flanges on the case and went threw 5 sets of brushes and my stock motor free wheels better then the 70 t i have to get a new 70 t so far i dont like the 70 t takes to long to break in

EMU
2008.05.19, 05:59 PM
I just put my motor in the car, and run it. If its slow... then I get a different one. I find that break in is really only important for handout motors. If you have a few that you can test on the track, and take the best of the bunch, that will be better than breaking in a slower motor.

My 015 motor is starting to slow down a little. Im about the same speed as everyone else now... although, I havent done any maintenance to that motor, havent even cleaned it in a few months :eek: The PN 70t motor doesnt have quite as much roll as the Kyosho stocker. I ran it in an MR02 for stock class, with a 10t pinion, and I was a bit slower than the other MR02s on the straight. Although the car was a bit easier to drive compared to the Speedy 05 motor that I replaced the 70t with.

I may try the PN 70t in my 015 next week, just to compare to the Kyosho stock. I think it is a little slower on the top end, and has a little more low end torque. My guess is that the magnets are stronger than the stocker.

rc100722
2008.05.19, 07:18 PM
i wonder if we can put the 70 t in a can with bearing

Slubben
2008.05.19, 09:12 PM
I just put my motor in the car, and run it. If its slow... then I get a different one. I find that break in is really only important for handout motors. If you have a few that you can test on the track, and take the best of the bunch, that will be better than breaking in a slower motor.

My 015 motor is starting to slow down a little. Im about the same speed as everyone else now... although, I havent done any maintenance to that motor, havent even cleaned it in a few months :eek: The PN 70t motor doesnt have quite as much roll as the Kyosho stocker. I ran it in an MR02 for stock class, with a 10t pinion, and I was a bit slower than the other MR02s on the straight. Although the car was a bit easier to drive compared to the Speedy 05 motor that I replaced the 70t with.

I may try the PN 70t in my 015 next week, just to compare to the Kyosho stock. I think it is a little slower on the top end, and has a little more low end torque. My guess is that the magnets are stronger than the stocker.

Yeah the 70t does have more torque than a stock motor.

Slubben
2008.05.19, 09:16 PM

Ill be watching out for that RC!

Cherub1m
2008.05.19, 09:47 PM

I tried it. Its hard to tell which one has more top end they are very close on top end. For low end torque the PN 70t is the winner.

Nope that is illegal for the 015 class. :D

Yeah the 70t does have more torque than a stock motor.

Yep, I noticed more torque from the PN 70t. On top end both seem very close to each other.

rc100722
2008.05.20, 05:18 PM
pn motor needs more roll

Slubben
2008.05.23, 11:28 AM
The 015 is a blast. The rest of you guys need to get one as well so we can more than one heat!!!!!

SaiTam
2008.05.23, 01:35 PM
The 70T motor sucks; although I must admit I bought a fast one, but it is still slow.

Slubben
2008.05.25, 11:27 PM
Yeah but isnt the point that we were all eqaul? No one blew anyone else away. I think that makes for great racing.

Cherub1m
2008.06.03, 08:22 AM
The 70T motor sucks; although I must admit I bought a fast one, but it is still slow.

Yeah but isnt the point that we were all eqaul? No one blew anyone else away. I think that makes for great racing.

Sai likes the speed :D. I do to. If you have more speed then needed on a track, then you know you will not be blown away in the straights. :D. But I am starting to like the stock class. Thats why I want everyone running there 015's to run a stock AWD class with same rules has the 015, in addition AWD bodies are allowed. It would be fun.

BUT NO ONE LISTENS TO ME :rolleyes: :D

Slubben
2008.06.03, 09:03 AM
Sai likes the speed :D. I do to. If you have more speed then needed on a track, then you know you will not be blown away in the straights. :D. But I am starting to like the stock class. Thats why I want everyone running there 015's to run a stock AWD class with same rules has the 015, in addition AWD bodies are allowed. It would be fun.

BUT NO ONE LISTENS TO ME :rolleyes: :D

We listen. We listen.

ruf993
2008.06.18, 10:08 PM
I 2nd the 2.4ghz PCB to be used in the 015 class with 70t Pn motor.....;)

ruf993
2008.06.18, 10:10 PM
i'm for 2.4ghz 70tPN stock class awd as well...

70tPN might be to slow on AWD mabe a speedy 07?

Cherub1m
2008.06.19, 10:46 AM
I am up for stock class mixed with AM, AD Band, 2.4ghz with PN 70t motor. Both AWD and 015. The 70t is pretty fast on the stock AWD but if its not enough for most, I am up for whatever motor everyone want to run. The extra fets on the AD and 2.4ghz will not make a difference with the 70t motor since the motor can only pull so much amps.

Maybe we can do Nascar again.

I am ready lets do it!!!

Slubben
2008.06.19, 10:48 AM
i'm for 2.4ghz 70tPN stock class awd as well...

70tPN might be to slow on AWD mabe a speedy 07?

Do you have the conversion kits for the 015?

NASCAR would be better than AWD ANYTHING! :)

Cherub1m
2008.06.19, 01:21 PM
Brother Slubben go forth and purchase another AWD. Brother Junior and Brother John from the organization White Knuckle Racers plans on getting a AWD. Before you know it the AWD will be up on you Brother Slubben :D. Currently we have 7 stock AWD owners (that is including the White Knuckle Racers).

:D:D:D
Hey whatever you guys want to do as long has we can run 3 classes or more consistently that would be nice.

Later

Slubben
2008.06.19, 01:44 PM
Brother Slubben go forth and purchase another AWD. Brother Junior and Brother John from the organization White Knuckle Racers plans on getting a AWD. Before you know it the AWD will be up on you Brother Slubben :D. Currently we have 7 stock AWD owners (that is including the White Knuckle Racers).

:D:D:D
Hey whatever you guys want to do as long has we can run 3 classes or more consistently that would be nice.

Later

More classes would be fine as long as there are several people in those classes it takes just as long to run a class with 6 people as it does with 3 and since we already finish racing at the @ss end of the morning I say that there needs to be a minimum of at least 5 people per class for a class to be run.

Cherub1m
2008.06.19, 05:58 PM
I hear you Brother Slubben. But the extra classes would have only two heats and a main. Also, we would need to run a tight schedule like 5min between heats and 10 to 15 min delay for the mains.

Another thing i forgot to mention, how about we start to run clockwise for the onroad course?

Slubben
2008.06.20, 12:20 AM
Great night of racing guys. Lots of fun!!!!! Converted my 015 to 2.4GHZ it's so worth while!!

Slubben
2008.06.20, 07:16 AM
Wont that ruin the racing lines that are alread in the track and lead to track losing a lot of traction?

Cherub1m
2008.06.20, 10:27 AM
Great night of racing guys. Lots of fun!!!!! Converted my 015 to 2.4GHZ it's so worth while!!

To bad I could not make it. But I have to say my Brothers and Sisters :D, 2.4ghz is amazing. I know I know "I told you so Brother Philip" :D. Its not just being glitch free, its so smooth and precise. No doubt I will have to convert some of my other miniz's.

Wont that ruin the racing lines that are alread in the track and lead to track losing a lot of traction?

Nope, I've gone the other way a few times and its fine. It feels weird at first but you quickly adjust. I suggested this for two reasons. 1) Clockwise is the correct way for onraod racing (except for nascar which if we start running it again it should be run counter clockwise), every other track runs onroad clockwise, 2) It will also benefit the AWD, right turns are better with the AWD.

Slubben
2008.06.20, 11:47 AM
Yes I would convert to 2.4GHZ as soon as possible its so much better than AM. With the slower motors you really dont gain all that much because the motor can only draw so many amps but the ability to be able to drive anywhere on the track without having to avoid glitch zones is a joy and it makes passing so much easier because you have so many more places to pass now!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Cherub1m
2008.06.24, 09:03 AM
Changes to MR-015 class are in RED

3) Must use the PN 70t stock motor.

4) Stock AM PCB, 2.4ghz PCB, at this time no AD Band has that causes more glitching to the AM drivers, any transmitter (For those concerned about the extra fet on the stock 2.4ghz PCB. Dont worry you can have a billion fets if your motor cant draw the amps its not going to be faster. The PN 70t stock motors dont draw much amps)

Later