PDA

View Full Version : HFAY Club Motor Quantities for Season 6

briankstan
2008.05.01, 06:47 PM
I need to estimate how many motors I need to order for season 6. will you guys get a count at you next races an see how many you will need for your club.

HFAY Spec, Tagged Motor. Cost will be $8.50

the motor will be a PN Racing Motor, Drilled Can,

Stats:
70 turn balanced armature
New endbell design for increased cooling
High performance carbon brushes

Performance – no load
Speed = 21,785 RPM +/- 1500
Current = 0.481 AMP

Estimated Totals. My initial order was for 150, lead time on second order will be about a week for motors and labels.

Qty - Club

16 - Stafford Racers UK
14 - Salt Lake Mini-Z
15 - Rising Sun Racing
15 - DC GTG
10 - Mini-Speedway
?? - Mini-AZ
?? - Ann Arbor Mini-Z Dojo
07 - 1/28th WF Racers
10 - Flipside Racers

87 - Estimated total.

Programmers
2008.05.01, 08:51 PM
We'll probably need about 7 to 10.

mk2kompressor
2008.05.01, 09:19 PM
around 15,id like to stock them over here in the shop too:)

briankstan
2008.05.03, 10:06 PM
around 15,id like to stock them over here in the shop too:)

Once I get them labeled and ready to send out we can talk ;)

Ninja
2008.05.03, 10:21 PM
slowing down for next season HFAY?

briankstan
2008.05.03, 10:24 PM
slowing down for next season HFAY?

A restricted motor, but an open fet rule. they are plenty fast for the 2 Wide L trackst that make up the HFAY tracks.

we had to restrict them to a specific wind to allow all the Mini-Z boards to be legal. so you can run a silly 5 x 2 if you want.

the 2.4, AD, AM bands will all be leagal in HFAY starting in July.:cool:

Ninja
2008.05.03, 10:29 PM
ok I understand now. Basically since a regular 3004 FET board can throw out all that a 70 turn motor can handle, the 2.4 and FET stacked guys wont have an advantage ove anyone else. thats cool, and should even up the field a bit.

arch2b
2008.05.04, 08:39 AM
ask david how many he atomic hfay motors he ordered. that would be a good starting point. i think he's down to 50 left or so, adjust the number accordingly. we sold out the initial order in a snap and at this price, you'll find people wiling to buy multiples. i'm tossing out a guess but i'd say 150-200 total.
for dc, i'd say 10-15 easy.

TheRinger
2008.05.04, 09:09 AM
So PN is making the new HFAY motor. Are we still allowed 2 use the atomic HFAY motor?

Hood
2008.05.04, 09:10 AM
It would be really nice if we could order these directly from PN.

We have made the AD and 2.4 cars legal for the rest of our AZGT season with the PN motor. Are these motors any different, or just tagged?

We order all the time from PN, and we already have the PNWC motors instock. Are these going to be legal?

Programmers
2008.05.04, 09:15 AM
According to the website they're the same spec. Infact, I think the spec displayed up there has been copied and pasted from kenon...

mk2kompressor
2008.05.04, 10:55 AM
there might be differences yet guys could be bearings in the hfay spec one
(i hope)
even so id rather support the hfay cause:)

briankstan
2008.05.04, 04:32 PM
So PN is making the new HFAY motor. Are we still allowed 2 use the atomic HFAY motor?

sorry the atomic motors won't be allowed. the reason for the change is to limit the power provided by the additional fets on the 2.4, AD, and stacked boards. so running the atomic motors would give an obvious advantage.

It would be really nice if we could order these directly from PN.

We have made the AD and 2.4 cars legal for the rest of our AZGT season with the PN motor. Are these motors any different, or just tagged?

We order all the time from PN, and we already have the PNWC motors instock. Are these going to be legal?

I will be selling these directly, I will be setting up a small HFAY shop on my SLC website. I'm also working with phillip to become a PN reseller. More info on this later. ;)

I will need to cover my investment in the purchase of these motors and tagging them as the HFAY Spec Motor. (they will all be tagged, like the atomics should have been :o ) So you will be required to run the HFAY badged motors.

According to the website they're the same spec. Infact, I think the spec displayed up there has been copied and pasted from kenon...

yes it was, it's is essentially the same motor, the difference being they will be HFAY badged. :cool:

there might be differences yet guys could be bearings in the hfay spec one
(i hope)
even so id rather support the hfay cause:)

sorry they are not BB cans, but they are still great motors. PN has always provided a quality product and a good price.

briankstan
2008.05.04, 04:34 PM
the price for the HFAY motors is going to be $8.50 ea. plus S/H.

this covers the price of purchase, plus the cost of having them labeled.

I'll have them available for pre-order soon. I expect to have them instock in the next week or 2.

mk2kompressor
2008.05.04, 04:57 PM
EXELLENT!!!
i need to order asap so we have them for next season(customs take weeks sometimes over here:( )

briankstan
2008.05.04, 08:27 PM
Please Note that we are adding an F1 class for Season 6.

Let me know on the quantities for both classes if possible.

The rules for the F1 will be very similar to the racer class.

No Fet Rules
2.4ghz, AD Band, 3010, 3004 boards are all legal, as well as any other fet you guys want to use.

it just has to be any Mini-Z board in your Mini-Z F1, with any kind of fet upgrade or stacks you would like.

TALLGEESE
2008.05.04, 09:56 PM
Nice to see that PN will be the official motor supplier for the HFAY series.. Between this and the addition of an F1 class, season six should turn out to be very exciting...

briankstan
2008.05.04, 10:44 PM
here is a shot of what they will look like, this is a label that I designed. I printed this one on a mailing label to see what it would look like. I have placed the orders for both the motors and the labels. As soon as I have an ETA I'll acivate the store.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/images/HFAY/HFAY_Motor.jpg

here is the link for the SLC / HFAY store where you will be able to purchase them.

HFAY Spec Motor (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97&products_id=181)

Programmers
2008.05.05, 03:37 AM
That looks ace... I'm so pleased an F1 Class was introduced! I'll get back to you on motor quantities as soon as I speak to Bri.

arch2b
2008.05.05, 08:25 AM
what i'm happy to see is a manufacturer working with hfay in a much more friendly and productive manner. i applaud pn for thier cooperation and huge props to brian for working on that.

shipping labels will fall off after they heat up. i labeled most of our club motors last time with labels printed on avery sheets and they were not durable.

briankstan
2008.05.05, 09:45 AM
what i'm happy to see is a manufacturer working with hfay in a much more friendly and productive manner. i applaud pn for thier cooperation and huge props to brian for working on that.

shipping labels will fall off after they heat up. i labeled most of our club motors last time with labels printed on avery sheets and they were not durable.

the actual labels will not be shipping labels. I just made that as a sample, I'm having the labels professionally made. :) they will be a cut vinyl I believe.

Phillip has been great to work with.

briankstan
2008.05.05, 11:44 AM
I should have the motors in stock by this weekend. Once I have everything ready I'll open to accept orders.

pinwc4
2008.05.05, 12:33 PM
One other question, are we still allowed to run stock motors for S6?

briankstan
2008.05.05, 03:11 PM
One other question, are we still allowed to run stock motors for S6?

yes, the stock motors that come in an RTR are allowed.

FYI, The new motor has a slightly higher RPM, and has more torque that the stock Kyosho Motor does, it also has the drilled can, all for less than purchasing a new stock motor. ;)

Programmers
2008.05.06, 11:50 AM
I've spoken to Bri and we're going to need 16. :)

briankstan
2008.05.06, 12:27 PM
I've added estimated totals to the first post from all clubs. just want to make sure I have enough to cover everyone that has them.

I ordered 150 to start. it will take about a week to get another batch in.

don't forget you will need one for both your racer and F1 if you are going to compete in that class.

byebye
2008.05.07, 04:22 PM
Put my club down for 7 right now. I'll order more as needed.

Thanks!
Kris

briankstan
2008.05.13, 12:07 PM
I have all the motors in stock, I'm working out a few store related things, I'll have them up for sale this week though.

initial order was 150 motors, I will order an additional order if needed, turn around on them will be about 1-1/2 weeks.

Bulk orders will not include PN Packaging, all additional orders will be packaged individually.

briankstan
2008.05.14, 10:14 AM
Motors ready for purchase.

if you have any question about anything in the purchase let me know. thanks

Direct link to Motors (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_65&products_id=181&zenid=3e694fe89745e600686ef7c0c75ab2e1)

pinwc4
2008.05.14, 10:27 AM
It does not look like it is charging shipping for me. I put in my zipcode but the s/h charge is $0.00. Is shipping free?

briankstan
2008.05.14, 11:31 AM
It does not look like it is charging shipping for me. I put in my zipcode but the s/h charge is $0.00. Is shipping free?

shipping is calulated in paypal once you checkout.

briankstan
2008.05.16, 09:47 AM
for those of you that have ordered, I will be shipping the motors out tomorrow at the very latest. I haven't received my shipping boxes yet :o If they don't show up today I'll go and pick a few up.

I have been working on an updated design of the store as I didn't care for the other one much, the new design is alot easier to use and has some nice features. it also gives the customer all their order detail.

For those that have registered on the other one you will need to do it again, sorry for the inconvience.

I have adjusted the direct link in the other thread, but here it is again.

slmini-zstore.com (www.slmini-zstore.com)

hpgod
2008.05.20, 07:10 AM
Brian did you try out any higher turn motors then 70 turn in testing? 80-90 turn. If so do you have any idea on comparision lap times?

Our club not HFAY but follows HFAY rules was discussing how to slow down the cars so a rookie driver can get around the track some. & 0 turn is great for a good driver on a small track but give a new driver a 2.4 car and a good set of batteries and watch donuts. We were gonna test the Kyosho ECO motor but kyosho is not importing them. I rule of RC is the batteries will always get better(been that way every year for the 18 years I have raced rc cars).

briankstan
2008.05.20, 11:20 AM
Brian did you try out any higher turn motors then 70 turn in testing? 80-90 turn. If so do you have any idea on comparision lap times?

Our club not HFAY but follows HFAY rules was discussing how to slow down the cars so a rookie driver can get around the track some. & 0 turn is great for a good driver on a small track but give a new driver a 2.4 car and a good set of batteries and watch donuts. We were gonna test the Kyosho ECO motor but kyosho is not importing them. I rule of RC is the batteries will always get better(been that way every year for the 18 years I have raced rc cars).

I don't have any comparable testing data. We wanted to give everyone a good motor and wanted to slow things down some. for the HFAY tracks you couldn't utilize the speed of the atomic motor. it was really over kill for the track size. the stock motor is a good one, but doen't have holes to mount to after market motor mounts. this seems to bee the best of both. the speed is good, you can mount them to the after market motor mounts.

it should be good for everyone to use, I've had my 5yr old driving a car and he handles the speed of this motor very well. I guess it really about throttle control. He can handle the 2.4 pretty much the same way.

My conclusion is the it is a good motor for the beginner (not to fast) and a great motor for the more consistant drivers (good speed and torque, but not over powered).

schmenzer
2008.05.22, 10:52 AM
Brian,

Mini Speedway will take 10 for sure, probably more.

Greg

briankstan
2008.05.22, 11:45 AM
Brian,

Mini Speedway will take 10 for sure, probably more.

Greg

they are ready for purchase, you can order them from my site.

www.slmini-zstore.com

hpgod
2008.05.23, 05:57 AM
thankyou for the reply. We have picked up ~0.5 seconds a lap this last year or so due to the batteries and fets getting better and was just wondering if you had tested anything with a higher wind to give back some of that speed also. The HYFAY motor you picked up a couple tenths also. We are now running speeds in stock that many stock chasis mod cars were running a couple years ago.

briankstan
2008.05.23, 10:11 AM
I agree that the stock class has gotten faster, thus the change in motor to bring speeds back down a degree.

even with the new motor it is still quick, but has a tamer and more managable power output.

VAzRACER
2008.05.23, 01:21 PM
I agree that the stock class has gotten faster, thus the change in motor to bring speeds back down a degree.

even with the new motor it is still quick, but has a tamer and more managable power output.

I agree that the speeds should be brought down, it puts more pressure on the driver to be clean and smooth.

I dont have the new HFAY motors yet but I have been doing some testing with the PN 70t stock motor which, if I'm not mistaken is identical to the one were getting. I'm using it a new 2.4 asf and like it, it has a smooth power band with good acceleration. I think gearing will be more important but with the new motor I feel that my driving is more consistant.

I dont see a problem with slowing things down, correct me if I'm wrong but I think ready to run kits come with 70t motors and thats what everyone ran in HFAY before with no complaints over the slow speed. I think its just being put back to how it should be, a stock class.

briankstan
2008.05.23, 01:44 PM
the main problem with the Kyosho stock motor was drilling it, the can would eventually strip and then you couldn't keep using it with most of the after market Motor Mounts. Also it was impossible to drill it with out leaving some kind of shavings in the can, because it wasn't allowed to be opened.

It really wasn't about not having enough speed, the new PN motor is drilled and ready to mount in any of the mounts and chassis. This will be a great motor for HFAY to run for the long forseable future. :cool:

pinwc4
2008.05.24, 08:07 PM
We got our motors earlier in the week. They look nice, we will probably try them out next weekend after our last HFAY races for the season.

briankstan
2008.05.24, 10:07 PM
We got our motors earlier in the week. They look nice, we will probably try them out next weekend after our last HFAY races for the season.

good to hear that they arrived. I finally received my bag sealer today so all future motors will be be in the PN packaging. :cool:

arch2b
2008.05.25, 01:27 PM
i got my motor order as well ;) a bit overkill on the packaging considering they are motors but i appreciate the care put into it.
fyi, order the type .46 cube boxes, 25 to a case. these are the size of a vhs cassette and are the perfect size for usps priority shipping of motors.

briankstan
2008.05.25, 10:03 PM
i got my motor order as well ;) a bit overkill on the packaging considering they are motors but i appreciate the care put into it.
fyi, order the type .46 cube boxes, 25 to a case. these are the size of a vhs cassette and are the perfect size for usps priority shipping of motors.

I've ordered all the boxes, they just haven't shown up yet. :( I just used some boxes that I had to get the orders out. I hope to have all the other boxes soon. I hope...

arch2b
2008.05.26, 10:09 AM
box was fine, the bubble wrapped motors in box full of packing peanuts was a bit unexpected:) it was very thoughtful to care so much to send them so well proteced. i was expecting the golden halo to shine and music to play when i opened the box and pulled them out:p they look great btw! very nice work on the stickers. i have not run my motor yet but do you know if they will stay in place when the motor gets hot?

briankstan
2008.05.26, 12:05 PM
box was fine, the bubble wrapped motors in box full of packing peanuts was a bit unexpected:) it was very thoughtful to care so much to send them so well proteced. i was expecting the golden halo to shine and music to play when i opened the box and pulled them out:p they look great btw! very nice work on the stickers. i have not run my motor yet but do you know if they will stay in place when the motor gets hot?

lol, I have run it for quite awhile and didn't have any problems with the label coming off. I even heated up the motor with my heat gun, it was so hot I couldn't hold the can. the label was still stuck on there good. It shouldn't be a problem.

I did have to clean off a slight oil residue off the can before applying the labels, but after that they were stuck very firmly in place.

arch2b
2008.05.26, 12:43 PM
perfect! very good to know so it will be easy to check motors into the season after lots of use.

thanks again brian for all the hard work. it's much appreciated.

briankstan
2008.05.26, 01:46 PM
here is a shot of the motor all packaged up. :cool:

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/images/HFAY/HFAY_Motor_04.jpg

TheRinger
2008.05.26, 10:36 PM
So the only way I'm going 2 be able 2 get these motors is I have 2 get a paypal account.

briankstan
2008.05.26, 11:43 PM
So the only way I'm going 2 be able 2 get these motors is I have 2 get a paypal account.

there is a money order option. you can select that and I'll send when you place the order. Since you've been racing HFAY for a long time I don't have an issue doing that.

arch2b
2008.05.27, 08:01 AM
david said he was getting THem for the trc shop as well, allowing the use of all the shop payment options.
i bought 2 extra if you need them in a pinch.

brian, i don't know how this was worked out but i assume they will be identical to your packaged item?

briankstan
2008.05.27, 09:12 AM
david said he was getting THem for the trc shop as well, allowing the use of all the shop payment options.

brian, i don't know how this was worked out but i assume they will be identical to your packaged item?

they will be available at shop.tinyrc.com I checked but they weren't listed yet.

they will be packaged the same as the pic posted above.

TheRinger
2008.05.27, 09:54 PM
there is a money order option. you can select that and I'll send when you place the order. Since you've been racing HFAY for a long time I don't have an issue doing that.

Cool, now I got 2 remember how 2 make a money order purchase.:o Its been over 10 years since I bought anything by money order.

TheRinger
2008.05.27, 10:05 PM

I just want 2 get ahead start 4 next season especially now there is a F-1 HFAY. And since I have 4 chassis 4 HFAY(1 awd, 1 mr02, 1 mr015, and now my F-1) I have alot of tuning 2 do. U can say I a back up 4 the back up 4 the back up.:D:rolleyes: I would like 2 get the motors from U arch when is the next race U can make it 2?

VAzRACER
2008.05.27, 11:11 PM
I just recived my 3 motors today, awsome shipping by the way. I ordered Thursday and got them Monday.

I'm going to try them in my AWD, MR-02 and F1 tommarow. I think the F1 is going to be a little on the slow side compared to the others. I cant wait for the F1 class though.:D

Mine were not in a PN package, are they still good?

briankstan
2008.05.28, 11:40 AM
I just recived my 3 motors today, awsome shipping by the way. I ordered Thursday and got them Monday.

I'm going to try them in my AWD, MR-02 and F1 tommarow. I think the F1 is going to be a little on the slow side compared to the others. I cant wait for the F1 class though.:D

Mine were not in a PN package, are they still good?

yes, I didn't have my bag sealer until the weekend to package the motor individually. they are all in the PN packagin now.:cool:

Let me know what you think after you test them out.

briankstan
2008.05.28, 11:44 AM
Cool, now I got 2 remember how 2 make a money order purchase.:o Its been over 10 years since I bought anything by money order.

you just select Money Order / Check as payment method. Let me know if you need anything else.

If your getting them from Arch that's cool too. ;)

VAzRACER
2008.05.28, 11:42 PM
yes, I didn't have my bag sealer until the weekend to package the motor individually. they are all in the PN packagin now.:cool:

Let me know what you think after you test them out.

I got about 2 hours of time in on the cars today and the motors are great. I already had a 70t in my 2.4 MR-02 so there was no change there.

In the 2.4 AWD it was a little bit slower but very smooth, for me that car acts better when it is driven smooth.

In the 2.4 F1 I was very surprised, I thought it would be a little slow but it turned out to be just as fast as my MR-02, both with 8 tooth gearing.

All the motors work great, I wont be using it in my AWD so I will have one back up just in case. Thanks again.

briankstan
2008.05.29, 09:17 AM
thanks for the feedback, glad to hear your happy with it. :cool:

TheRinger
2008.06.01, 09:55 PM
Well I just ordered 4 motors I hope U have enough in stock, couldn't tell.:confused:

briankstan
2008.06.02, 12:11 AM
Well I just ordered 4 motors I hope U have enough in stock, couldn't tell.:confused:

I have plenty in stock, I have them ready to go. they'll be in the mail in the morning.

thanks.

TheRinger
2008.06.02, 07:14 PM
I have plenty in stock, I have them ready to go. they'll be in the mail in the morning.

thanks.

Thanks brian.

TheRinger
2008.06.04, 08:06 PM
That was pretty quick shipping brian.:eek: Just got them today. Hopefully I'll get 2 try them out this or next weekend. Look like well made motors, Thanks again 4 getting them 2 me so fast.:)

mk2kompressor
2008.06.09, 10:10 AM
got them today,tracktime tonight:)
they look awesome brian,neat winds,ferrite magnets,fat comm and the bushes feel lined up properly.
money well spent:D

briankstan
2008.06.09, 10:25 AM
got them today,tracktime tonight:)
they look awesome brian,neat winds,ferrite magnets,fat comm and the bushes feel lined up properly.
money well spent:D

you'll like them on the track... Post up your thoughts after you have a chance to run them.

briankstan
2008.06.10, 10:16 AM
if anyone needs to order motors, there is a little about 3 weeks before the start of Season 6. As I'm waiting for the domain to switch

thanks, and sorry for the inconvienence.

briankstan
2008.06.12, 01:06 PM
Ok, after that week of hell :eek:. the domain switch and new hosting are up and running.

the www.slmini-zstore.com is now open again and everything is correct. I've added pictures of most of the product and it's ready to go.

Motors are going fast, if you need them better get them soon, shipping takes 2-3 days. Season 6 will start July 1st.

TheRinger
2008.06.15, 08:05 PM
I finally got 2 test drive the new motors today and they are great. They are well made, have no drag, and good power, well not as powerful as the first gen atomic made motors but definetly better quality. It will be an interesting season.

briankstan
2008.06.15, 08:13 PM
I finally got 2 test drive the new motors today and they are great. They are well made, have no drag, and good power, well not as powerful as the first gen atomic made motors but definetly better quality. It will be an interesting season.

thanks for the feedback.

mk2kompressor
2008.06.15, 08:26 PM
ive been using 3 of them for around 2hrs each so far,brilliant motor for a spec series like hfay,they have alot more torque than stock(different mags) making them ideal for awd and 2wd with 1t up on the pinion.
ive broken in 10 of these so far with no problems and amazingly they are all virtually the same,all within the tolerances they should be

all 10 have been so closely matched,
.30-.45a
23000-24000rpm @4.8v