PDA

View Full Version : PN parts for Dnano?

marc
2008.05.03, 02:05 PM
Hello there PN, will you be making part's for the Dnano? We'd love to see some custom wheel's for it, motor mount's, tie-rod's, knuckles, and possibly a ball-differential. What do you think?

Tsal
2008.06.28, 12:36 PM
Ball diff?

marc
2008.06.28, 03:26 PM
Most stock RC car's use a gear differential cause it's cheaper to produce. Ball differential's are smoother. Not sure I understand why one is smoother than the other, but I do know ball diffs are smoother than gear diffs. I hope somebody else can explain better.

marc
2008.06.28, 07:18 PM
Yes, that's what I wanted to say, thank you!

Tsal
2008.06.28, 11:38 PM
I don't know if you seen one up close or actually own one but, the motors are the same size as a vibrator motor in cell phones. I don't think a ball diff would make a difference let alone what size ballz they will be. Dnano's are already high performance right out of the box anyway for something that small.

hrdrvr
2008.06.29, 07:33 AM
Dnano's are already high performance right out of the box anyway for something that small.

So are MR02's but we still use ball diffs in 'em :D

An adjustable diff this small would be tough to produce, but the engineers at PN and Kyosho can some up with some pretty impressive goodies.

marc
2008.06.29, 09:19 AM
Ball diff or not, we can still use some nice aluminum bit's that Kyosho didn't make. Motor mounts, knuckles, alloy wheels, et'c.

Tsal
2008.06.30, 12:03 AM
So are MR02's but we still use ball diffs in 'em :D

An adjustable diff this small would be tough to produce, but the engineers at PN and Kyosho can some up with some pretty impressive goodies.

Acutally 1/23 is the perfect size for ball diff. they work better on Z's than larger scale cars.

Marc don't get me wrong i like hop-ups too, but for me personally i think the Dnano looks and handles real cool as is.

marc
2008.06.30, 12:08 AM
I know it's already pretty cool as is. But, it could use some camber and toe adjustments too. That's why I'm wondering if aftermarket companies would make bit's for it.

myscoobysti
2008.06.30, 03:46 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Kyosho should be coming out with a ball diff for the dNano which I saw in one of the Hobby show photos. I may be wrong coz the photo was a bit small but it is definite a hop up item. It's either a ball diff or an alloy gear diff.;)

myscoobysti
2008.06.30, 04:11 AM
Ok, found the photo. What do you think?:)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/smart_nut/CIMG4837.jpg

marc
2008.06.30, 08:49 AM
Very cool, but hard to tell. Would be nice if it's ball diff, but I suspect it's just an alloy version of the gear diff. I love the display boxes they have for it, too bad the part doesnt' actually come in a box like that. Then again, it would probably be more expensive as we'd be paying for the box as well!
The carbon-fiber Hplates are already available on ebay, but have not yet seen the diff.
Thank's for the photo scooby!

LBRC
2008.06.30, 02:43 PM
I already have several motors all faster than stock, and batteries with a good deal more punch to go with them. Running on a 2xWide-L or larger RCP track with an upgraded motors and batteries there are a few hop-ups I would like ASAP.

Tires first, they need to come with several sets in a package. On RCP the dNaNo goes through tires roughly 5 times faster than a Mini-Z.

Then a ball diff, yes it will be absolutely necessary.

Disk damper, no, too big. Some sort of damper, yes, but just now I canít imaging anything that would work better than the simple piece of light foam Iím currently using.

A little bling, wheels first possibly wider with tires to match. Besides the dNaNo could actually use a little added weight, Iíve started to experiment and the stiff springs with a little lead tape on the side of the chassis seems to be a wining combo but Iíd rather have an extra gram or two of bling instead of the lead.

The dNaNo is pretty good out of the box but thereís still room for improvement, and my prediction is that due to its size many of the improvements will by necessity be new innovations instead of hand-me-downs from larger scales.

Also in my opinion competitive prices for hop-ups and their availability will have more to do with the dNaNoís success than the carís base price. That base price may seem a bit high just now but we have only seen full MSRP plus added mark-ups for any local sales. In reality the MSRP is no more than a Mini-Zís and itís obvious that a lot more goes into making a dNaNo than the few extra pennies worth of plastic in a Mini-Z. Once the dNaNo is released to dealers and overseas distributors like the Mini-Z weíll start to see sale prices more to our liking, when that happen it will be the number and avability of reasonably priced optional parts, accessories, and hop-ups that make or break the dNaNo.

marc
2008.06.30, 03:19 PM
I think the Dnano will be very successfull little car, especially in Europe where they love small RC car's. Remember Germany's 1/32 scale CRT car? That was pretty awesome, but very limited as it was made by one guy and not by a factory. Plus, the 1/43 scale is a highly, highly collectible scale, very very popular. You can get ANY car made in 1/43! I have yet to see a car that is not reproduced in 1/43 scale. Even my all time favorite super car's are in 1/43! That beeing said, haveing a high-quality, very fast and controlable RC car with the same level of details as it's die-cast counterpart, I believe the Dnano will be a success the more people find out about it and the more world widley it becomes available! Remember, it was only released like two three month's ago. Give it time to get noticed! Really noticed! I'm enjoying the heck out of my two Dnano's now that I have the RCP track!

Tsal
2008.06.30, 05:28 PM
Ok, found the photo. What do you think?:)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/smart_nut/CIMG4837.jpg

It looks like the motor.

Tsal
2008.06.30, 05:31 PM
The sad thing is Dnanos won't be released in the US and you will have to get all your parts online. There is just not enough interest, at least in my area.

LBRC
2008.06.30, 05:37 PM
You might want to look a little closer at the differential in the photo, and while your at it the interest in your area too.

Tsal
2008.06.30, 10:31 PM
You might want to look a little closer at the differential in the photo, and while your at it the interest in your area too.
Really? i go to Kenon all the time and the only person that has one is Philip and I never see him drive it. He also has two for sale there too and nobody is buying it. I am not trying to stir up the Dnano followers I was just voiceing my opinion and I apologize for upsetting anyone.As for that photo it's clearly not a ball diff. LBRC do you own a Dnano and do you race or practice in the SoCal area with it? I would like to come check it out?

marc
2008.06.30, 10:43 PM
Is it possible that Philip at PN has one for parts development purpose? I thought I read rumor's that PN was planning on making parts for it. I race my two car's all the time now. They are popular, but remember, their not cheap, and they are new.

LBRC
2008.06.30, 10:52 PM
The problem is that you are assuming that customers with access to a Mini-Z friendly LHS/track will be imidiately interested in a smaller car, same as going to somewhere like Performance RC and assuming anyone there would be interested in a Mini-Z.

I've had a good two dozen plus battery and motor inquiries from California alone, with nothing more than a couple of posts and an eBay listing.

Agree that you can't tell yes or no from the above photo but this may help.
http://www.dnano.jp/pinfo/img_200807/op_dnw103.jpg
Kyosho PN DNW103

marc
2008.07.01, 09:18 AM
Not really, it's still hard to tell if it's a ball diff.

myscoobysti
2008.07.01, 12:06 PM
Thank's for the photo scooby!
My pleasure!:)

Guys, it's a ball diff. Got the confirmation from the dNaNo website.

No.DNW103
dNaNo ボールデフセット
ギヤデフよりも滑らかな作動で安定したコーナーリングを実現

Translated by Dictionary.com

No.DNW103
dNaNo Ball diff. set
Actualizing the corner ring which is stabilized with smoother operation than the gear diff.

Tsal
2008.07.01, 09:03 PM
Thats great! They made a ball diff for once again another fine Kyosho product.

pfcparts
2008.07.01, 09:53 PM
We won't know real interest until it actually reaches our market...
if ever. :rolleyes:

I think the lack of interest is due to it not actually
being available at a decent price...

Refuse to pay that scalper price of nearly 100 over retail... :o

Not having it available to other regions and basically saying
screw you to other parts/fans seems crazy especially for a
new product lol.

That or they are brilliant in trying to create/force
a dedicated base so that it won't just be a fad like
the Lit lol...

=====

The dnano actually looks like a decent chassis. I don't think
any hop up support could have helped the lit lol.

=====

I've actually been looking for one or two to mess around with...

Curious, how much is Phil selling them lol? :)

parts

marc
2008.07.01, 10:43 PM
I love the two Dnano's I've got, and knowing that they actually released a ball diff really brighten's my day! I'm sure gonna have to save up and get two of those! WOW! Kyosho your really doing well, NOW BRING THE PRICE DOWN! :D

fraz
2008.07.05, 01:24 AM
We won't know real interest until it actually reaches our market...
if ever. :rolleyes:

I think the lack of interest is due to it not actually
being available at a decent price...

Refuse to pay that scalper price of nearly 100 over retail... :o

Not having it available to other regions and basically saying
screw you to other parts/fans seems crazy especially for a
new product lol.

I too think the 40-50% markup gougers are on crack and not helping the situation. I was fortunate to have my buddy go on a recent business trip to Japan and I have Japanese co-workers to help translate when needed:D

You mention lack of availability to "other regions". Did you know they are only officially available at the 2 Kyosho stores in Japan? Not even the retailers in Japan are allowed to carry them!!! Seems to me like they are still testing and developing and don't want it out to the wider public yet. At least that is the story my buddy got from Kyosho Japan and confirmed by RC Champ.

As for adoption and all that, realize we are bleeding edge guys and we pay a premium because of it. I owned one of the first MR-01s that hit the US just because I have always like micro r/c. Do you have any idea how long it took until a)they started showing up officially in stores, b)people started buying and getting into them en masse, and c)the first "official" races were held by Great Planes? It was YEARS. It was also a long time until any quantity of hopups started showing up. I think the dNano is way ahead of the curve. If only Tim or Joel could give us some official insight on Kyosho's plans. Heck we don't even get US participation in the Mini-Z Cup that has been running for years now.

marc
2008.07.05, 09:49 AM
Have you looked at the 47th SHIZUOKA HOBBY SHOW 208 JAPAN thread latelty? There already producing more bodies for the Dnano! Check out their sweet Porsche 911's! I think this little guy is going to sky rocket!

Tsal
2008.07.07, 09:53 AM
Kyosho's market for the Dnano's are just for the Japanese market only. Japan has the coolest toys period. If you consider the number of people that are RC enthusists overseas, compared to the US you can see why Kyosho will not bring them here. Yes we like these cars but I think Kyosho wouldn't even sell 1000 of these here, they are way to expensive,parts availability is non exsistant, what parent is going to spend 300 dollars on a 1/43 scale car for their 7 year old. Don't get me wrong though, I want to see them here just like you guys do and the die hard collectors that can afford them will own them.

marc
2008.07.07, 10:06 AM
Well, that's why I like the Dnanoshop.com web site, very good guy there, very enthusiastic about these car's, and yes I know it's not an official Kyosho retailer, but so what? If you want it, you'll get it! In my opinion, those that want to wait till Kyosho get's there act together and offer these over seas, they REALLY don't want these car's that bad. Yes, they may like to have theme, or may want theme, but not as bad as the rest of us who are willing to ebay or anti-Kyosho retail. I love these cars and I'm willing to buy from a none Kyosho-retailer as long as there good buisness which so far the Dnanoshop has been great to me.
But enough winning about Kyosho not bringing theme to the USA, PN is well known overseas just as well aren't they? So is or is NOT PN going to make part's for the Dnano? I sure wish Philip would chime in on the conversation.

hrdrvr
2008.07.07, 02:52 PM
I dont think PN does much HK business. I know they dont host a race over there in their PNWC series and most people that go shopping in HK end up with Kyosho, GPM, or ATM goodies, and not PN.

Also, I dont think PN is going to jump on these until the market IS determined here in the US. Heck, I dont think theyll even start thinking about it until there IS a market here in the US. Why would they spend the money to research an unknown product, when they are still building/designing parts for a platform that IS known and IS doing well in the US (and world market)?

I cant really speak for PN or Phillip though, so, Id suggest if you want an asnwer from him that you email him and ask directly.

marc
2008.07.07, 03:01 PM
Is this NOT the appropiate thread for asking PN directly? This is under the Ask PN catagory of this forum. But I suppose he doesn't read this forum daily like the rest of us.
Your probably right though, they are doing a great job adding new stuff to the MR02 and AWD which already is sold here. I just want ANY aftermarket hop-up's company to produce some alloy bit's for it.

LBRC
2008.07.07, 06:38 PM
Looks like the right place to me but a little early to ask or at least expect any sort of responce.

Give it a little time, the dNaNo will hit the States and the rest of the world soon enough although you might be surprised at where it shows up first, and I’m sure PN will follow not too long after that with something nice for us to spend our money on.

I wouldn’t expect PN or any one else to tip their hand before all of the dealing is done that would be foolish. You can be sure they are at least thinking about parts, and have at a very minimum purchased a few cars to look at and measure, probably even drawn up a few ideas, and might have even gone as far as handing a few CAD drawings over to a discrete machinist for prototyping, but it’s way too early to expect them to tell us and consequently their competitors what they are thinking about yet alone planning, and definitely too early for any commitments.

Tsal
2008.07.07, 07:12 PM
PN racing is huge in Europe. :)

marc
2008.07.07, 10:03 PM
I suspect that these aftermarket companies are "secretly" doing CAD design's and prototype machining parts for the Dnano as we speak. As you say, they just won't release anything till it becomes popular world wide like the rest of the Mini-Z car's.