PDA

View Full Version : Problem with servo trim...

robyhood
2008.05.05, 02:52 PM
Hi everyone!

It's my first post here. So a little presentation first.
I'm an Italian guy who purchased an AWD Mini-Z last week. It was a couple of years I was looking for this little monsters, but I had neither time nor money before now. About a month ago I saw Kyosho made 4x4 Mini-Z and I couldn't resist anymore! :)

Well, Mini-Z is great! I still have to practice a lot with it to improve my driving skills and to master it, but I'm having a lot of fun anyway!

I hope to usually follow this forum helping with my experience... when I will have!

Well... for now, that's my problem.
I opened the box and assemblied the car following manual's step-by-step instructions.
When I turned on both transmitter and car, I noticed that front tyres was not centered with transmitter trim in the neutral (center) position, in fact the model was steering a lot to the left.
So I trimmed to have it go straight. To do that I had to set the steering trim in the middle between the center and the full right position... and it seems to me quite a lot for a trim!
The car now go straight, but it tends to steer better (quicker and tighter corners) to the left rather than right... there is obviously a lot more stroke to the left...
So I think I have to manually trim the servo... what I'm asking you is: how to do that? Any suggestion will be really appreciated...

Thank you in advance and sorry for my English.
Roberto.

Action B
2008.05.05, 03:58 PM
YO italian guy! I'm half italian actually. Anyhow, the remote trim should not effect the steering distance either way once centered with the remote. Mine is trimmed all the way to the right (nearly) and it still turns equally left and right. Are you driving it on slick or grippy surfaces?

robyhood
2008.05.05, 04:32 PM
Hi half-Italian guy! :D

Thanks for your answer.

I'm driving on slick surface, actually if I drive on a surface with more grip the problem seems to be lighter, but I can see the difference if I look to my car with the bottom side in front of me and try to steer with the transmitter. In one direction the car steer till full end, while if I steer in the other direction there's a little stroke, in fact I can push the tyres with my finger to make them steer till end while the servo can't.

So... what could it be?

Thank you again,
Roberto.

EMU
2008.05.05, 06:20 PM
http://minizcanada.com/tech/radio.php

Read the part that says "Tuning steering pot" ;) Should help.

Basically, center the transmitter trim. Then adjust the trim on the pot on the board. When relatively straight, do the final adjustment with the transmitter. Should give you fairly equal travel left and right.

Do this in very small increments with power off (circuit not complete in car, only 3 batteries installed), then test and repeat if necessary.

Action B
2008.05.05, 08:42 PM
Huh, I never knew about that! I am not having any problems, but if I do, I'll do this. Thanks for the link.

herman
2008.05.05, 08:57 PM
totally agree with emu... check out the link and tune your pot...
had this happen to some cars... noticed steering angle on one side was more compared to the other... i tried switching controllers, and this helped...

ultimately you want to tune your pot... hope this helps... and welcome to the forums...

p.s. pls let us know what happens...

robyhood
2008.05.06, 02:59 AM
Thank you for answers.

So I have to fine tuning the PCB pot, well I thought I had to disassembly the "small parts" box where the servo is in and then center the servo or the gears.

I'll try that with caution and test. I'll let you know the results!

Thank you again for your help!
Roberto.

robyhood
2008.05.06, 03:53 AM
Hi,

I've just done the trick and I finally centered the servo with transimtter trim in the middle position! Wow!
I noticed that's quite easy to do that with all batteries in and car turned on, so it's easy to control steer centering in real time. The tuning pot is not surrounded by other componens, so it's very difficult to shorten something out.

I try to test the car on my parquet that's very slippy and uneven but it seems to solve the problem, car tends to turn left easier, but maybe it's a surface issue 'cause checking the steering with the car in the hand seems all ok.
I'll try on a surface with more grip!

Just one more thing, a couple of days ago I stripped a little two screws holdings... one in the rear top cover and one... well I actually don't remember!
Any method to fix it? Maybe a drop of glue in the holding and, when dry, try to put the screw in to make a new thread?

Thank you,
Roberto.

herman
2008.05.06, 04:11 AM
Maybe a drop of glue in the holding and, when dry, try to put the screw in to make a new thread?
yes... that's how most of the guys do it... i would put a drop of glue on a pin or needle then dab the hole with the glue (where the stripped threads are)... and wait till it dries until you screw it in...

glad to hear you had your steering fixed...

Action B
2008.05.06, 10:34 AM
Hi,

I've just done the trick and I finally centered the servo with transimtter trim in the middle position! Wow!
I noticed that's quite easy to do that with all batteries in and car turned on, so it's easy to control steer centering in real time. The tuning pot is not surrounded by other componens, so it's very difficult to shorten something out.

I try to test the car on my parquet that's very slippy and uneven but it seems to solve the problem, car tends to turn left easier, but maybe it's a surface issue 'cause checking the steering with the car in the hand seems all ok.
I'll try on a surface with more grip!

Just one more thing, a couple of days ago I stripped a little two screws holdings... one in the rear top cover and one... well I actually don't remember!
Any method to fix it? Maybe a drop of glue in the holding and, when dry, try to put the screw in to make a new thread?

Thank you,
Roberto.

The MA-010 has odd weighting to begin with. Look at where the batteries are! On slick surfaces its hard to get it to track perfectly straight especially with the stock differentials.