PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question ... LM bodys

Dodge
2008.05.13, 05:53 PM
Help ... you'll have to excuse my newbie knowledge ... my sons set his heart on the system Mazda 787B MR-02LM but I've read that the RTR bodies are quite fragile especially around the front lights ... is it possible to fit a more robust body the car so that he doesn't break the first time he runs it round a track?

Programmers
2008.05.13, 05:57 PM
Yeah. I've seen people use other MM bodies on the LM chassis.

greekone
2008.05.13, 07:27 PM
You could just get the white body version which is alot more durable.

herman
2008.05.13, 10:37 PM
greetings dodge...
welcome to the forums... i appreciate you getting your son into the hobby... you might want to pick up one yourself and joing him.... :D

anyway i think you've been reading about the porsche 962 body (i've got one, and it is pretty fragile up front, got hairline cracks around the headlights as you described)...

don't have one yet but i've read that the Mazda 787B MR-02LM is much stronger (wish i had one to test though)...

i've also read that the white body is much sturdier than the one that comes with the ready kit.

or you could take programmers suggestion and get a mm (mid motor) body for the lm (low motor) chassis

hope this helps... :D

benmlee
2008.05.13, 11:41 PM
The Porsche 962 body is fragile in the front, but you can reinforce it with a piece of plastic and apply glue around the headlight area.
Another option is to use another MM body. Note that with the LM motor mount that comes with 962 or the Mazda, the diff shaft is longer, so only bodies with +3 offset in the rear is going to fit the wider LM motor mount. That is not a problem since two of the best running bodies, the Ferarri Enzo and FXX has +3 in the rear.
One other option is to get a MM motor mount so you can run any 98mm bodies, and fit the LM disk damper to it. Like this. Makes the car handle much better.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24780&stc=1&d=1210736224

EMU
2008.05.13, 11:45 PM
The Mazda Autoscale body (same as the RTR body) is much more durable than the Porsche 962. The Porsche did not even last one qualifying heat. I have raced the Mazda for two entire race nights, and barely have a scratch on it. I added a little glue around the headlights (on inside of the body) just to be safe. It has handled some pretty hard collisions as well.

I have an unpainted Porsche body, which I am using in the Modified class. Much more durable than the prepainted Autoscale or RTR bodies. I think that the glosscoat that Kyosho uses makes the bodies more brittle, as well as the type of plastic, which seems to be different.

Dodge
2008.05.14, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the help ... I need to read a little more about offsets, disc dampers and unpainted bodies before I can post an intelligent reply ... sounds as though the benmlee solution with the MM mount and disc damper is the best bet ... :confused: I'll be back ...

Dodge
2008.05.14, 07:28 AM
Oh and thanks for the guide I'll start there ...

davisdavis
2008.05.19, 06:25 AM
you can run the LM mount in 98mm too~
this is what i am doing, but notice the width of the rear will be the same as the front.

in this photo, i am running on an Enzo body. with 0-offset wide rear wheels.

and u can fit a central & disc damper under the enzo cover without having to cut a hole in the rear window. because of the lowered motor mount

ricore
2008.05.20, 04:42 AM
Hi,

I am seriously considering getting a MR02-LM. It would be my first mini scale model (I own a petrol 1/5 off road and a 1/8 rally game).

LM is nommally 102mm wheelbase from what I read. (which by the way means that my 1/5 model wheels are bigger than a full mini Z)

Would it be a good summary of this thread to say that from stock, one can modify the chassis to 98mm wheelbase with no extra parts and fit 98 mm bodies?

If so, would the wheels coming with autoscale body kits (I think they come whith wheels) will be also ok to use or is it necesarry to get some different offset wheels (as of differnent width axle from the MR-02 RM or MM)

As a bonus question and a bit off topic, is there some fun to take from a LM stocker, or does it requires modifications first (bearings, motor)?

Thanks in advance for answering

davisdavis
2008.05.20, 06:16 AM
to change the mr02-LM in 98mm, u don't need extra parts IF u are planning to forget about the disc damper. but if u want to use the disc damper system, u'll need a shorter damper plate. which u'll have to buy separately (GPM, Atomic, whatever brand's 98mm damper plate will do)

the front end is exactly the same, so nothing to worry about

as for the rear end, the LM rear is 2.5mm wider on each side when compared to RM/MM. for example, the Enzo runs on a 2.5mm offset wide rear rims, so in order to fit the LM chasis under the Enzo cover, u'll need to get 0-offest wide rear rims.

this creates a problem for bodies that already runs on 0-offest rear rims, u may have to use negative -1 offset wide rims or even narrow rims. but normally, the rear width of bodies wil allow u to go at least 1 more mm wider without having to do anything to the body

herman
2008.05.20, 11:54 PM
first of all welcome to the forums...

looks like davis answered all of your questions.... as for
is there some fun to take from a LM stocker, or does it requires modifications first (bearings, motor)?
i'd say heck yeah... even in stock form, it runs pretty well... but if you are seriously considering races, you can start hopping it up to your hearts desire... i'd start with tires, bearings, a carbon fiber h plate, and probably a ball diff though...

here's my review...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27597

benmlee
2008.05.21, 12:09 AM
to change the mr02-LM in 98mm, u don't need extra parts IF u are planning to forget about the disc damper. but if u want to use the disc damper system, u'll need a shorter damper plate. which u'll have to buy separately (GPM, Atomic, whatever brand's 98mm damper plate will do)

If drill 2 extra holes on the LM damper plate 4mm behind the current one, and with some longer screws and washers, you can probably use the LM mount in 98mm bodies. Just have to be creative with stacking washers.

marc
2008.06.16, 01:49 PM
If you really want to run the 962 body, Square has a plastic reinforcment peice that is designed to be mounted on the chassis and inside the body. It will help protect the delicate front end. Also, Atomic has an alloy body locking plate for it as well. The Mazda that your son is interested has been known to be stronger up front then the 962. I suggest either getting the 962 with the mentioned parts, or the Mazda, or both so you can race against him!

Of coarse, do to the same reason's of the delicate 962, I switched my 2.4 to the RM Countach pictured here.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC07765.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC07756.jpg

I'm not sure how tough this body is, but if it's anything like the Diablo, it should be much tougher than the Leman's cars.