PDA

View Full Version : Best Board for new rules - PN and HFAY..

Hood
2008.05.22, 04:52 PM
AD Band Boards have the static issue to worry about.
2 x 3010

2.4 Boards have the reverse delay to worry about.
2 x 3010

AM Boards have glitching to worry about.
2 x ??

New rules for both organizations say PN 70T motor for stock..

Will Fet Upgrades be necessary for all boards?
Will one board have an advantage?
Which do you plan on running?

briankstan
2008.05.22, 05:07 PM
I plan on running a 2.4 board in my MR-02 with a 94mm Mid Mount setup.

I'm so consistant that I don't need reverse. :eek: Yah right !:o

I hope that when I get my helios module that I can adjust the neutural so it's not a fight to get it in reverse.

if I can't get that to work I'll go back to my AM board. I'll be running the stock boards as they come. I won't be upgrading them in any way.

I will say that even those that had stacked board at RCX weren't really any faster than those that didn't, it really came down to the most consistant and "lucky" driver. the consistant ones that stayed out of wrecks and other cars were faster, plain and simple.

Programmers
2008.05.22, 06:02 PM
I hope that when I get my helios module that I can adjust the neutural so it's not a fight to get it in reverse.
Me too...

I've built my HFAY car using a 2.4 and ran it once and it was almost perfect. I've made some new adjustments and will run it next week to see if it's okay.

Still the reverse is an issue, but like I said - the module will hopefully cure that.

In our club championship I achieve similar lap times to my 4562 car with my 3010 car. Since going to a less-fetted car I've also won more races. You see, I reckon there's only so fast you can drive on certain tracks because there's always going to be a speed to space ratio... It can only be pushed so much and I reckon 2x2 3010 pushes two wide L's to it's limits.

I think if the reverse issue on the 2.4 can't be fixed I'll move to 2x2 3010's on AM.

DJ Kyosho
2008.05.22, 06:03 PM
I am running an AM board with a single layer of 4562s and I have raced with those that have stock 2.4 boards. I don't think there's much of a difference there. But I feel that a stock AM board should get upgraded fets. I drove a 2.4 car last saturday and I really didn't have trouble with reverse. So, as soon as the module comes out for the helios, I will be running 2.4 for stock.

mk2kompressor
2008.05.22, 06:43 PM
going AD band for now,ive had no static issues at all(touch wood)
it feels great on my awd so if its not broke.......

Programmers
2008.05.22, 07:07 PM
it feels great on my awd so if its not broke.......
Fix it till it is! ;)

Sinister_Y
2008.05.22, 10:31 PM
Great thread and responses thus far. My 2 cents...

I had a real heart to heart with Philip (PN) about this stuff previously (regarding the PN cup that is) and the bottom line advice I have is for anyone who has the desire (and cash of course) is to go to a 2.4 board.

As far as upgrading FETS goes, when I asked Philip, he told me that there is not much difference in straightline speed between stock boards (i.e. using 3010 FETS) and those with upgraded FETS (i.e. AN0113). This was based on his and other racer's experience. He did note however with the AN0113 FET upgrade, there is more punch out of the corners.

Personally, I will be competing with stock 2.4 board, no FET upgrade for now.

The faster guys will be determined as always by driving & setup skill but the difference I think that is more important than even will be battery power, at least for the stock class.

Tjay
2008.05.23, 03:34 PM
I have all three boards...

AM board: I will not use this again after the RCX event. The glitch was so retarded that my car wont stay still on the damn grid even after changing the crystals couple of times! Garbage!

AD band: Just make sure you wont shut down by upgrading fets, minimizing the drag on the drive train, use new motor or motor with decent brush left on it, no loose motor wire, pull out the battery tabs for better connection, clean the tabs for less resistance, make sure capacitor is attached on the motor...

ASF: calm down.............................................. ......... then hit reverse.

color01
2008.05.23, 05:24 PM
ASF: calm down.............................................. ......... then hit reverse.
**** no, lol... 0.2 seconds is a lot of time in a race. I really hope the ICS coming out for the ASF board can take care of this problem.

Tjay
2008.05.23, 06:48 PM
ofcourse it's alot that's why practice my friend :).

bermbuster
2008.05.23, 09:00 PM
ofcourse it's alot that's why practice my friend :).
what hurts is when others tap you into a reverse situation and losing that time really escalates into a lap....There are races in which i am amazed at my lap times and there are races i want to forget about....

Tjay
2008.05.25, 04:35 AM
what hurts is when others tap you into a reverse situation and losing that time really escalates into a lap....There are races in which i am amazed at my lap times and there are races i want to forget about....

True but this should only happen during practice... practicing with the novice on the same track. Big events, is different story. Everyone is very professionaly with racers/drivers etiquette.

Programmers
2008.05.25, 06:15 AM
True but this should only happen during practice... practicing with the novice on the same track. Big events, is different story. Everyone is very professionaly with racers/drivers etiquette.
Yeah - if heats are judged appropriately then there should be a limited amount of accidents. :)

bermbuster
2008.05.25, 09:10 AM
Yeah - if heats are judged appropriately then there should be a limited amount of accidents. :)

Judging can be biased so the fair way to do it is w a reshuffle based on performance that day. The track i race at (Majs) is fast and furious.
A main lap times of 6.5 seconds with 20 turns (90 degree=1 turn)
You dont have time to blink.....When I race at slower tracks the reverse is not as big an issue....