PDA

View Full Version : no steering...

Tjay
2008.05.26, 04:11 AM
just got new/used monster truck and having some problems with it. On a slippery surface like hard wood or garage floor the steering is ok but on a flat cement floor, it wont steer until I hit forward to reverse. Is this normal? Please advice. Thanks!

Aurora
2008.05.26, 04:28 AM
TJ,

I got the monster truck as well, and used to try all different kinds of mod on it. Here are a few things I have learned:

1) The steering is a little weak at standstill, due to the large and heavy wheels or the design. This problem is more prominent if you are using alloy wheels. If using AD band, could try fine tuning via ICS software.

2) If driver use GPM alloy front steering case, it will make the front of car really heavy and the truck won't jump far/well; and the tolerance of that product is so-so, it will even bind the smooth turning of the wheel. I only use the bottom half of the alloy case.

3) Metal heatsink clip doesn't seem to clip onto the motor too well vs the stock motor clip, I had many incidents for the metal clip to pop-off after small jumps.

Tjay
2008.05.26, 04:37 AM
Aurora,

I am running stock mzm right now with atm stock 2wd motor and 3004 fets. I am probably not going to do any jumps or wheelies on this truck. I just want it to be able to crawl and climb small dirts in the backyard. Right now manuevering is a little prob because of the steering... Since my racecars are all converted to ASF. I'll use my AD board on this monster but then I don't have that ICS. I'll probably mess with the setting on my helio.

Also, do you know how I can lift this thing up a little bit? I noticed there's adjustment under the chassis but not sure if it is for lifting or wheelbase purpose. Where can a get a bigger tires to lift the truck up some more?

Thanks!

Aurora
2008.05.26, 05:09 AM
TJ,

Sure, there are a few mods that could be done immediately with installing some simple parts. And for myself, given the 2wd limitation, I wanted it to be able to crawl and bash around a little as a truck.

What I did was to find some toe rod with the appropriate end balls and extend the top four links, while making a LSSM with longer screws and OL shocks.(you will need to make the shock move forward, if you plan to extend the chassis). In the end, I decide to remove the rear shocks and the truck is holding up quite well as a pseudo crawler with a T2 motor and 'block' tires installed. It could climb/run up a 60+ deg card board slope with ease, and I can only imagine what it could do more if installed with a geared motors.

LSSM how to:
http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album231

NSSM how to:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18336&highlight=nssm

Programmers
2008.05.26, 08:13 AM
just got new/used monster truck and having some problems with it. On a slippery surface like hard wood or garage floor the steering is ok but on a roung flat cement it wont steer until I hit forward to reverse. Is this normal? Please advice. Thanks!
Yes. They steer much better when rolling.