PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Questions

GIHOSU
2008.06.01, 02:44 AM
I finally picked up my first F1, I chose the 248 F1 and it's beautiful.

I saw the Kyosho rear shock and the Atomic rear shock, they look pretty similar. I'm wondering about any thoughts on which one to get, does anyone want to share their experiences? Which one works better? Is anyone using these? Thanks in advance for any responses

I'm tempted to stay with Kyosho and PN parts unless there is a reason to get the Atomic shock.

RussF
2008.06.02, 05:30 PM
I had the Atomic Shock, Damper plate, and motor mount on mine. As well as Kyosho carbon side plates and a cut out body. I had trouble getting it to be soft at all. So I ended up switching over to the PN motor mount and Kyosho shock. I like this set up way better for the rear end. I'm in no way an expert but I really like the Kyosho shock over the Atomic one. My car has a ton more rear grip with this setup.

GIHOSU
2008.06.06, 08:12 PM
Hey Bash, thanks for the input.

I ended up buying a PN motor mount and Kyosho rear shock. I'm going to play around with these first. I also picked up springs, kingpins and carbon plates.

I raced last Saturday night and ran well. I picked up my F1 and put it on the 4 yr old RCP track and the thing was like a drift car. I have alot of work to do to make this thing stick.

Do you have to cut the body to run the Atomic disc damper?

VAzRACER
2008.06.07, 11:38 PM
I picked up the Atomic disk damper a few months ago and the rear shock that came with it was junk. The disk damper how ever worked great once I added the Kyosho shock and took out the rear side springs.

Atomic is hit and miss with quality, I choose PN or Kyosho over them any day. Half the stuff from Atomic that I have doesnt even fit, however the stuff that does fit works like a charm.

I ended up using the Atomic disk damper with the PN motor mount to keep the rear of the F1 from sliding. To get it to work you have to lift the disk damper about
5 mm.

RussF
2008.06.16, 09:07 AM
Hey Bash, thanks for the input.

I ended up buying a PN motor mount and Kyosho rear shock. I'm going to play around with these first. I also picked up springs, kingpins and carbon plates.

I raced last Saturday night and ran well. I picked up my F1 and put it on the 4 yr old RCP track and the thing was like a drift car. I have alot of work to do to make this thing stick.

Do you have to cut the body to run the Atomic disc damper?

Yes, I did have to shave the body with the Atomic parts. Here is a thread with some pics of what I did. (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27513) When I switched to the PN mount and the Kyosho shock I still use the same body so I'm not sure if that combo needs the body modified but I dont think so.

GIHOSU
2008.06.19, 08:34 AM
Hey Bash, thanks for the link. I don't think I can bring myself to cut up the 248, I'll have to get another body before I start cutting for a disc damper.

I swapped in the PN motor mount and installed the Kyosho rear shock with the stock spring and 2 shims. Along with a smoother front end the car handles much better.

The only body trimming I had to do was to clearence the corner in the body where the front, top left side of the motor mount needed a little more room to move as the suspension does its thing. The cut was small and under the body so it's not seen.

The big change was the new tires, PN RCP 15 fronts and 8 rears.

RussF
2008.06.19, 09:32 AM
That great. I really like the PN RCP tires too. I use the 6 deg on the rear and the 15's on the front. I think my car works pretty good now. I just need to increase my skill. I'm constantly getting wooped by almost everbody in my club. :o I just need practice, practice, practice. One of the guys at the club gave me a body he had. I'm going to paint it up and use it for racing with. Meybe that will help. LOL!