PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a RCP Track?

pfm racing27
2008.06.11, 02:46 PM
Hey,

My friend and I collect F1 Mini-Zs...
Just wondering if the -RCP Tracks Mini Tile 96- that they sell on the online store is good and if it is big enough for the F1s? Would I have to end up also buying the -RCP Tracks Mini Tile 96 Expansion Kit- ? :confused:

Thank you...

imxlr8ed
2008.06.11, 03:00 PM
Definitely go RCP... either system is still a good route to go.

If you buy the Mini-96, you should buy the expansion pack (unless you have incredible driving skills... which you may). Passing is very tough with no expansion let alone with an expansion. The rails are lower than the Wide tile system, but they may have corrected that for the ones they are selling currently. The one I have works just fine, but we did put plastic on the rails to prevent sticking and rail-jumping.

You can certainly make a more varied layout with the Mini system, but the Wide is getting to be the norm for most clubs. I'm not using my Mini96 stuff now, so if you're interested... shoot me a PM.

PridgeoK
2008.06.12, 01:42 AM
Definitely go RCP... either system is still a good route to go.

If you buy the Mini-96, you should buy the expansion pack (unless you have incredible driving skills... which you may). Passing is very tough with no expansion let alone with an expansion. The rails are lower than the Wide tile system, but they may have corrected that for the ones they are selling currently. The one I have works just fine, but we did put plastic on the rails to prevent sticking and rail-jumping.

You can certainly make a more varied layout with the Mini system, but the Wide is getting to be the norm for most clubs. I'm not using my Mini96 stuff now, so if you're interested... shoot me a PM.

I agree - I have a couple F1's and the mini-96 + expansions (regular exp, 45*, chicane & wide inside corners), and they work very well. Great racing with tight tracks and lets you have varied layouts, and the price is decent.

One thing that you might want to consider, being in Toronto, is a cross-border shipping company to ship your RCP to. Free shipping within the states works well that way, since border handling fees + duty + taxes + shipping really bite it. Drive it over yourself should result in you not having to pay duty whatsoever. I'd bring one other person with you since it'll likely be over $200 total ($200/person/day cross-border shopping, I think).

Personally though, if I had the money again, I'd probably go for the 50cm tiles and get the two wide-L's instead of the mini-96 so you can set up the HFAY tracks when you do the lap-counter route. Going mini-96 will hamper that... I'll be going that route down the road someday... someday... :rolleyes:.

Good choice with either RCP option though, for sure.

Kevin.

PridgeoK
2008.06.12, 04:31 PM
Thought a bit more about your original post - I think you're trying to guage whether the mini-96 on its own will be big enough to race on with your buddy. If that's the only kit you're going to get right away, and it's just the two of you racing, then ya - I'd say it's a good enough size to start with. Two cars on it at one time is fine, in my opinion. You'll want more track space pretty quickly though ;). The Mini-Z's are pretty fast and the F1's are speedy.... but it's definitely a great starter track for your cars.

The mini-96 on it's own (no exansions) fits an 8' x 12' space snugly, and you can obviously play with the designs quite a bit. That 8x12 space just happens to be the dimensions of my little backyard paio space, which is why I bought it. I can stretch a few extra feet on one side of the track... but ya - the space I have was best used by the mini-96. Having thin tracks is good: you improve your driving skills fast on it, and it's not like real F1 tracks are very wide either. The variety of track layouts is a bonus for your entertainment value as well, even with just the base track. For the $200 (or less if you can get it 2nd hand), I think it's a sweet deal, especially if you split the cost with your pal. Less than buying another car doing it that way.

If I'm playing on the track with my kids though, I need a wider track so we have more room to pass each other - the expansion sets were very worthwhile investments for me. The expandability of the mini-96 is a highlight as well, as is the reasonable cost of the expansions, so the initial investment isn't going to be a waste. Add to that a high resale value.

All that said, those large-scale tracks have a lot going for them as well... I'll let one of those groupies chime in if they want, since I don't have that type of track yet. If you have the space, the larger track can be set up and taken down a lot faster than a hundred or more of the little pieces!

Kevin.

ps - the track works for more than just mini-z racing too! Here's an example :cool: (attached).

Schubs
2008.06.12, 10:07 PM
I personally have 2 f1 mini-z's and me and my buddies have 3 of the wide L tracks. I love the f1 on it, cause it sticks so well with the wide tires. i know that with the wide L i use the whole track when racing, so i don't know how it would be on the mini 96 track. but i defiantly suggest buying a rcp track, i enjoy driving my car soooo much more since we got the track. my friends hate running against my f1s because they are so much more consistent than there mr-02s

marc
2008.06.13, 12:44 AM
I'm also pondering this question about the Mini96. The only space I have available to me is the space that my car would take in the garage. So, about the same footage as a compact sized car. Would the 96 fit in such a space? Looking at the area, look's like it to me, but hard to tell without having the track on hand.

PridgeoK
2008.06.13, 02:29 PM
I'm also pondering this question about the Mini96. The only space I have available to me is the space that my car would take in the garage. So, about the same footage as a compact sized car. Would the 96 fit in such a space? Looking at the area, look's like it to me, but hard to tell without having the track on hand.

Hmm... you probably have a foot or two clearing each side of your car, so maybe 8-feet across? And the length of the car plus a couple feet here/there in the front & back *might* just be 12 feet? If you can sinch an 8 x 12 cube in there then you're good to go, Marc. :D

You can set it up longer and thinner, but I think it's best to have at least 8 feet wide to get some good track layouts. ~6 foot wide area really limits what you can make with it unless you do a figure-8 type of idea. If you have some specific measurements of the space you're thinking of, send me the dimensions and I'll chuck together some track diagrams for you and we can see what will fit. I have a good sketchup template for the mini-96 pieces, scaled to the right dimensions even. We'll get a good idea of what you can do in your space. Time to break out that measuring tape, man!

Hope you're not parking right beside someone else though - it would suck to have them park right next to it and roll over some of your track! :p

Kevin.

marc
2008.06.13, 02:34 PM
I'll take a picture of our garage. It's a 3 car garage with my car by itselfe, and Dad's two car's seperated from mine by our recycables. So, there is no fear of him running over me. I'll check the measurement's and get back to you.

marc
2008.06.13, 02:41 PM
I have 9 feet wide by 19 feet long useable space here, with the car outside of coarse.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC07774.jpg
And I just purchased my selfe a Mini96 by the way, thank's to my rescent sale. :D!

By the way, 9 feet is from the crack you see there, to about 3-4 feet from the wall which is already used up by tool's and other garage junk.
Oh, and sorry if this is in wrong thread, but I do NOT run F1's, only MR02's and Dnano's.

PridgeoK
2008.06.13, 05:23 PM
Good stuff - you have some decent space to race with Marc. Definitely enough for the mini-96. You'll want the expansion sets soon. ;)

I'll draw you up some play-time designs this evening and post one or two to wet your appetite. I'll post it to the tracks forum though, since it doesn't really fit with this conversation.

marc
2008.06.13, 05:33 PM
Thank's Pridg, I can't wait to receive my track, it'll be good for practicing at home and for setting up cars. Plus, I really wanted something for the Dnano's I got as well. Sorry to high-jack the thread, but my question's were some what related.
I'll be starting a 2.4 MR02 MM project soon and I'd like help getting that set up with PN part's too. My 2.4 MR02 RM seem's perfect so far, but won't really know till I get the track as it's surface is different than that of office carpet.
Yes, I'm sure I'll want the expansion kit eventually, but I didn't want to spend that much cash right away till I know I can get good use out of the 96 at home.

Quick question, since the Mini96 only comes with a certain amount of peices, exactly how many different lay-out's can one make with the kit?

PridgeoK
2008.06.13, 11:35 PM
Marc - check out: http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28819 to continue your conversation...

Kevin.