PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Ideal Pinion for Speed AND Acceleration

MachinaX
2002.05.24, 11:09 PM
I was jus wondering what size gear you guys are using to achieve the maximum SPEED and acceleration in your vehicles. Also Can anyone tell me how i can RAISE the chassis of my mini z for outdoor baskerball court racing? Thanks. ;)

W-tone
2002.05.25, 12:12 AM
Well what comes to mind is spacers to the front part of the H-plate, or a custom curved H-plate.
for the front you need to shave the bottom of the steering knuckles AND make a custom steering bar.
Not easy, but it can be done (and has been, I remember seeing pictures)

Draconious
2002.05.25, 08:19 AM
The ideal pinion depends on motor used, and is the one that goes as fast as you can want, but still accelerate enough to satisify you... if your motor is realy powerful turbo'ed etc.. then a 9T probly wont satisfy you ;) -- basicly put a small pinion on, if your slipping at the start you got room to grow, try another tooth bigger, untill your happy. 8T on stock motor with no other magnet, bearing, or turbo mods is probly ok.

herman
2002.05.25, 10:10 AM
i guess it would be relative... if you don't race and just want flat out speed, the fastest pinion out of the box is the 9t... however gpm does have a 12t pinion...

if you do race... the fastest car doesn't neccesarily win the race, you'll have to find the best matched pinion for the track... the track i frequent changed their layout four, or was it five times... and i've used different pinions for all the different layouts...

heck if you really want top end flat out speed go for a 14t pinion... take note however of 2 things:

1- any pinion that has over 9t will require some modification (ie changing or modifying the spacers, or changing the whole motor mount entirely)

2 - more teeth = slower acceleration (it will take longer to reach top end speed) ... which is not good on technical tracks (tracks with lots of turns)...

hope this helps...:D

wrcracer
2002.05.26, 09:48 PM
im stuck with a 6T pinion (no spacers:( ) and im hittin somethin like 25-30 with my car - its as fast or faster than my 1/10 TC.