PDA

View Full Version : mr015 vs. mr02

dhamby123
2008.06.26, 10:32 AM
Hi, guys i have a mr02 and i really like it very fun to race at my local track and i have seen some post and thing about the mr015 are these any good im sure with the battery location a little more high on the sides it prob doesnt handle as well as the mr02 but i see that there are a lot of bodies that fit the mr015 and i got into this partly because of the bodies do you guys thin it is worth buying an mr015 if i already have an mr02 and will i be disapointed in the way they run ? im sure they need setting up just like th 02 . just thought it would be cool to have both chassis styles . what do you guys think ..

VAzRACER
2008.06.26, 12:18 PM
The battery position is'nt the only difference between the two, the front end of the MR-02 is wider than the MR-015. This is the only thing that makes it difficult to fit narrow 015 bodies onto an 02.

PN racing makes a tower bar kit that fits the MR-02 and makes the front end the same width as an 015. This will allow you to fit any MR-015 body onto an MR-02. This way you still can have all the handling advantages of an 02 while using 015 bodies. Plus its cheaper than buying a new car just to use certain bodies.

I cant compare the two chassis for you since I have never used an MR-015, but I hope this info can help your decision.

mikez
2008.06.26, 04:55 PM
The 015 are hard to set up and flip a lot. If you want a project there fun though.

dhamby123
2008.06.26, 05:09 PM
thought id would be fun to have another mini z to play around with othere than the one i race the mr02 has to many parks on it just to bash around the house if i can find a mr015 for less the 50 bucks ill buy one but im not gonna buy a new one or one that is just as much as the mr02 . there are a coupke on ebay that are going cheap but im sure some idiot well pay at least 80 bucks for them .

mleemor60
2008.06.26, 06:51 PM
Danny,

High Speed has the 0-15 ready set stock cars for right at $70.00 +or - 5
then all you have to do is swap bodies. You drove my stock car some time ago when you and Tyler came down.

benmlee
2008.06.26, 07:08 PM
Batteries on the MR015 is closer to the center, so the car react faster in corners. They turn better in general. Down side is they turn so good in the corners they flip over especially with high cg. You have to slow down to just under the flipping speed. Crank in the steering slowly and don't jerk. Be very careful of "S" turns because after the car lean one way and you turn the other way, momentum will flip the car.
The cars looks nice which makes them so much fun to drive.

slientbob
2008.06.26, 09:49 PM
ok i won't bid on them ;)

hrdrvr
2008.06.27, 10:05 AM
PN racing makes a tower bar kit that fits the MR-02 and makes the front end the same width as an 015. This will allow you to fit any MR-015 body onto an MR-02. This way you still can have all the handling advantages of an 02 while using 015 bodies. Plus its cheaper than buying a new car just to use certain bodies.

The battery layout of the MR02 is still significantly wider than the 015, so there are some bodies that still cannot fit on the 02 (without plastic removal or other modification) even with the tower bar conversion.

Danny,

High Speed has the 0-15 ready set stock cars for right at $70.00 +or - 5
then all you have to do is swap bodies. You drove my stock car some time ago when you and Tyler came down.

This is a good reccomendation if you want a basher. If you decide you want to try and race it though, Id look at getting one of the real RTRs and not an I-series or NASCAR. The better electronics, FETs, and brake make a big difference on a racer.

I really like racing my 015 and wish there was a class for it here. I can compete against stock class 02s no problem though. The car feels more realistic to me and the driving experience is real fun. Only matched by F1 as far as realism IMO.

If you are looking at something for tooling around the house and possibly dropping on the track occasionally, you may be happier with an AWD. They excpet a wide variety of bodies that cant fit the 02 (narrow stance like the 015) and would hanlde non track conditions (like kitchen/harwood floors) a lot better.

Cherub1m
2008.06.27, 12:24 PM
Batteries on the MR015 is closer to the center, so the car react faster in corners. They turn better in general. Down side is they turn so good in the corners they flip over especially with high cg. You have to slow down to just under the flipping speed. Crank in the steering slowly and don't jerk. Be very careful of "S" turns because after the car lean one way and you turn the other way, momentum will flip the car.
The cars looks nice which makes them so much fun to drive.

I agree with you benmlee. Also, if you lower the mr015 chassis, use worn out tires (low profile) and use harder compound tires in the front. Basically harder then what you would normaly use on your mr02, you can reduce flipping considerably (almost eliminate it).

We run a MR015 class in our local Hobbie store MHS Hobbies. Its a fun class and the lap times compared to the modified MR02's are not that far off. Anywhere from 2 to 4 lap difference.

flat 4
2008.06.28, 08:39 PM
I run a MR15 in stock class and I can run down MR02's in it. I may not win all the time but its a great chasis. I do have a MR02 as well the 02 is good for high speed tracks. I am putting together a 15 for our Super Stock class, pretty much "bolt on's" only and Kyosho X-speed motor no stacks or turbo's. We'll see how it will turn out this season.:D

dhamby123
2008.06.28, 08:49 PM
cool thanks for the info guys i like the awd that i have seen but seems like everyone thats has one that i have seen have problems with the gears . but still the awd are pretty cool . ill have to keep my ears open on those yeah i hear the i series is pretty weak.

HammerZ
2008.06.29, 01:36 PM
I think the only real difference is in the track you are running on. Many clubs are using the larger 50cm tile tracks. I call those high speed tracks, with those MR02's have more advantage with the lower stability. I have my mini tile 96 RCP home track, with 30cm tiles. For that the MR015's are better at turning on the tight corners. The MR02's I have to stop reverse and make another turn on it. Some club tracks I have seen look like you can drive a city bus around them.

The MR015 turns quickly enough, and can cause it to flip.

The MR02 seems to push alot more at speed, on a tight track you have to slow way down for turns.

If all you have is an MR02, I recommend getting an MR015. It helps you learn more about handling and cornering. and they use many of the same MR02 parts anyway. For the AWD you will need other parts just for it, it's a good car but seems to hit the wallet hard though.

flat 4
2008.06.29, 05:47 PM
I have an I series it will be my "super stocker" (Xspeed and ather stuff). So far side by side there is no diffence between the "i" and 15. I have not heard (or read) of eny diffrence between the boards on the two of them. Far as I know the diffrence between them is one has a NASCAR body on it. If there is some thing elese diffrent between them please tell me.

hrdrvr
2008.06.30, 07:21 AM
^ For marketing purposes the only difference is the lack of a brake function. If you ask me, or any racer at our local track, the reception is weaker causing worse glitches and in more places around our track room.

Also, the I-series boards come with the older model 3004 FETs. The other AM boards come with 3010 FETs which are about 30% more efficient.

flat 4
2008.06.30, 05:52 PM
thank you. I get the fet's upgraded when needed (when the car is to slow for me)

herman
2008.06.30, 10:31 PM
do you guys thin it is worth buying an mr015 if i already have an mr02 and will i be disapointed in the way they run ?

in my opinion it's not disappointing at all... but considering everybody has their own expectations.... i suggest trying one out before actually buying one...
to see if driving one would be indeed disappinting to your expectations...

considering all the points above, you can set up the mr015 so that it will be "drivable" according to your driving style...

it's true that there are more bodies that will fit the mr015 chassis compared to the mr02...

but this can be solved by purchasing an mr015 aluminum tower bar set.... you cut off the arms of the chassis and replace it with this particular part....

this will shorten the front track width enabling you to use most mr015 bodies on the mr02 chassis...

if you want to go back to the mr02 trackwidth you will have to purchase the mr02 aluminum tower bar kit or get proper rims with the correct offset...

hope this helps... :D

G0DZ1LL4
2008.08.21, 11:08 AM
:DMR015 are like MR01 ... :rolleyes:

MR02 is better for race ... definetly !!!

But some times it's cool to race honda fit, mini or even rare toyota yaris !!! :p

I think that MR015 are still in KYOSHO due to the fact that they are 100% MR01 bodies compatible ... and AWD too !! :D

lugnutz
2008.08.24, 10:25 AM
thats kinda hard to say we've been working on some 015's they can kick some 02 azz

EMU
2008.08.26, 11:30 AM
I enjoy racing the 015 more than the 02. It is a little more challenging to setup than the 02, but when the setup is good, they are fast. Especially in the infield.

I am usually on the same lap with my 015 as I am with my 02. We run an 015 class, which is just as competetive if not more competetive than the 02 class. A lot of time during practice, some of the drivers that only drive the 02's are surprised with how fast the 015s are.

As said earlier, the 015 rotates faster, which leads it to traction roll. Harder tires can be used in the front, and still have it rotate as fast as an 02 would, without it tipping. On a very high speed track, the 02 is better, but a tight track I would take the 015.

Tjay
2008.09.03, 01:12 PM
I just did a a full week of 015 driving on a big, fast and flowy track (25 tiles straightaway and 3 wide turns) and a "just right" size (20 tiles straightaway w/ 2 tiles turns). Both were tested with sc430 body with the same tires, motor (PN stock) and batteries. The suspension set-up of course was a bit different but the driving was pretty similar.

On the mid size track, the 02 have enough on/off power steering. The 015 on the other hand has more than enough on/off steering. It is great for a smaller/tighter track. This chassis felt like an AWD car but with a little less on power steering than awd's. Highspeed is just as stable as the 02's but on the sweeper the 015 can carry more speed and can hug the highspeed turns closer. Only thing though is that, sometimes when you hit a tiny,little bump on the sweeper, your 015 will roll while others go over it. Other thing I noticed with the 015 is that, during quick transistion the car leans over to one side and you can see both wheels on one side of the car are up in the air. This will throw you off your line while you're on throttle. Even if you're barely putting power on the throttle. That's the only thing I didn't like about the 015.

Anyhow, as most of you guys know. I test mine with numbers for comparison. On the big track the 015 was doing 12.70 while the 02 was doing 12.40. On the mid-size track, the 015 can do 9:30's while the 02 was doing 9.20's. Both cars are consistent.

Cherub1m
2008.09.03, 09:22 PM
Hi Tjay

Nice report. I've told many the 015 is not a bad chassis if you set it up right.

EMU
2008.09.04, 02:19 AM
TJ, what offsets were you using on the 015? I think that those are good results between the 015 and 02. I didnt really expect the 015 to be faster, but its numbers are very competetive to an 02.

What tires did you use? Were they new? I like to use very worn tires on the front, without raising the knuckle to lower the front end of the car a little. The 015 can use harder front tires than the 02, and still have good steering...

Tjay
2008.09.04, 02:07 PM
TJ, what offsets were you using on the 015? I think that those are good results between the 015 and 02. I didnt really expect the 015 to be faster, but its numbers are very competetive to an 02.

What tires did you use? Were they new? I like to use very worn tires on the front, without raising the knuckle to lower the front end of the car a little. The 015 can use harder front tires than the 02, and still have good steering...

I used kyo30/N and kyo20/W new on both 015 and 02. I only run new tires for testing. Just like how I would on a race day.

EMU: Check your box.

Cherub1m
2008.09.04, 07:36 PM
I used kyo30/N and kyo20/W new on both 015 and 02. I only run new tires for testing. Just like how I would on a race day.

Hi Tjay

What offsets were you using for the 015. When you say .../N and .../W does that mean zero narrow offsets and zero wide offsets?

Tjay
2008.09.05, 03:23 AM
oh my bad! The fronts I had +1 and rears were +1 as well.

HammerZ
2008.09.05, 06:00 AM
Those numbers are very close. If you take that MR02 you run the best laps with, and set it up with your least favorite body to run. Those numbers may be lower than the MR015 run. I just wanted to throw that out here to make that point.

Cherub1m
2008.09.05, 12:51 PM
oh my bad! The fronts I had +1 and rears were +1 as well.

Thanks Tjay. +1 offsets on the front, on a 015 is still narrower then a 02 with same offsets on the front. I wonder if you used a wider offset on the front of the 015 (so it is equal width with the front of the 02) if that would make a difference in lap times with the increased stability.

Those numbers are very close. If you take that MR02 you run the best laps with, and set it up with your least favorite body to run. Those numbers may be lower than the MR015 run. I just wanted to throw that out here to make that point.

I agree. Also, finding the body that suites the 015 more may make both equal in stock class.

flat 4
2008.09.05, 07:37 PM
what body's were you running 15/20? this season I plan on running mini(15)andFXX(20)

EMU
2008.09.09, 12:43 PM
On Saturday, I did 30L TQ qualify with my 350z 015 with a 9.34s fast lap. I did 31L with my SLR and FXX (same chassis with WTF installed, FXX felt better but SLR was faster) with a fast lap of 9.11s with the FXX and 9.09s SLR during the main. My 102mm 787B did 29L, but was loose coming out of the corner, dont remember what the fast lap was.

All cars used the 70t PN motor. 13/52 64p with the 015, 8t Pro Match/Kawada spur (think its 42t) on the FXX/SLR, 9t/44t spur on the 787B.

In the 015 main I finished with 41L, but had a few contact rolls. I won 02 with 42L.

For the 015, I strongly suggest running a 94mm body in MM config. The HM mini will flip alot more.