PDA

View Full Version : new brushes

slientbob
2008.06.29, 10:40 AM
i just bought new brushes for my hfay motors. my question is when i install them will i have to re break in my motors? or just pop them in and go?

cowboysir
2008.06.29, 12:13 PM
you should.

You will get better performance from your motor if the brushes curve along the comm contact.

I'm always curious to hear peoples methods of break-in. I usually just do two rounds each forward and reverse running on 2.4 volts and that gets me a good start towards a curve in my brush contacts.

andreophile
2008.07.06, 09:42 AM
To avoid any chances of sparking and dead spots, I drive the new motor with an auxilary motor running at 2.4V; that is, powered by two instead of four batteries. Remove the spur gear to avoid any unnecessary load on the motor. Also ensure that the motor to be broken in spins in the forward direction. I do this till the batteries are flat.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3897/breakingo7.th.jpg (http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3897/breakingo7.jpg)

Subsequently, I repeat the process by directly driving the motor with a fresh pair of batteries; that is, I connect the battery directly to the motor leads.

pomme de terre
2008.07.06, 04:55 PM
i just bought new brushes for my hfay motors. my question is when i install them will i have to re break in my motors? or just pop them in and go?

The main point of breaking in a motor is to seat the brushes, so if you get new brushes, yes you have to break them in.

Tjay
2008.07.06, 05:09 PM
Here's what I usually do on my motor. Not sure if it is correct way but anyhow...

-remove the armature
-cut/polish the comm with 1500 grit of higher.
-clean the slots/gap on the comm after polishing it
-put everything together including the new brush
-dip the rebuild motor on a cool water
-use slave motor powered with 2.4v (luckily I have i.c.e charger :))
-run it for 15 mins or till you see the brushes is seated properly on the comm
-use air pressure to dry the motor

This is how I do my break-in. Which reminds me, I need to do mine :).