PDA

View Full Version : AtomicMods Econo-Track

bmxtrev
2008.07.06, 10:18 PM
How does the econo-track (http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Econo-Track__13646.aspx) compare to RCP? How is the grip, value, etc... I think i saw the econo-track on some of programmers videos.

Also, is one package [6 tiles] a good size to make a track, or should i get two?

Thanks

Tjay
2008.07.06, 10:42 PM
get mini-96 instead.

bmxtrev
2008.07.06, 10:47 PM
i would get mini-96, but thats 200 bucks, and for that price, i'd rather get a wide L. I just want to know if this econo track is any good compared to rcp track. [how well the tiles work for racing]

LBRC
2008.07.07, 12:09 AM
Lol you might as well find a Wall-Mart, Harbor Freight, Costco, etc. and pick up the same pack of anti-fatigue mats for half the price, not to mention saving on shipping. On the web-page you linked to it says “You will want to order at least 5-6 packs to get a decent-size layout for RC Racing.” That’s $210 with shipping for 6 or 12’ x 12’ 144ft2, ouch.

It may be an “economy track” but it's hardly a deal considering that this forum’s shop (TinyRC.com) sells both the 12’ 4” x 9’ 8” x 6’ 5” (approx. 137ft2) RCP Wide-L or the 7’ 9” x 11’ 8” (approx. 91ft2) RCP Mini-96 tracks for $199.99.

Dusty Weasle
2008.07.07, 12:53 AM
Several years ago I dumped a bunch of money into mats that look just like that, I think I got them at Wal-Mart. They have been stacked in my hobby room ever since serving as a table.

I then spent the money on two RCP Wide-L kits. Worth every penny (this assumes you have the pennies however, as it does take a lot of them :rolleyes: ). Out of the box it has a proper racing surface, rails that attach cleanly, and tiles that attach smoothly (+/- a millimeter sometimes).

Attached are pictures of some test layouts with the Wal-Mart tiles before rejecting the whole plan.

For comparison, here are some shots of our club's RCP usage. You can see how much better they fit together and how much cleaner the whole setup is:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20III/Christiansenring.jpg

This one shows the 'rough side' which is most commonly used
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20III/WideScreen.jpg

This track is made with two Wide-L kits for an HFAY/OLPS race
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/OLPS%20Season%20III/CrowdedPractice.jpg

briankstan
2008.07.07, 01:30 AM
I agree, I spent some money on those same mats. I'd suggest you just wait if you don't have the money, either way you will probably end up with the RCP track as it's a better engineered track system with alot better surface.

hrdrvr
2008.07.07, 09:53 AM
I agree with these guys. I just gave away 4 packs of that stuff. I bought it because it was cheaper than RCP and I could buy a little at a time. By the time I had anough packs to make a decent sized track, I was close to the investment of RCP. I should have just saved up for the mini96 in the first place.

2EZ
2008.07.07, 11:19 AM
Now hrdrvr I told you so the Minni 96 is the way to go or any RCP

bmxtrev
2008.07.07, 07:04 PM
Okay, so it sounds like rcp is the best way to go. But i really dont have 266 dollars to spend right now [shipping on atomicmods is 66 bucks :eek:]. What if i made a track design on the rcp site, and then bought the individual tiles off of atomicmods? or is that a bad deal too? Also, about how much could i find a used rcp track for? [preferably wide L]

LBRC
2008.07.07, 07:12 PM
Dude why are you stuck on Atomicmods? They are hardly the cheapest and far from the best store on the net with notoriously high prices and outlandish shipping charges. To start with try clicking on the above TinyRC.com link they not only have better prices but are the proud owner of this and the other 6 forums listed on the right sidebar.

bmxtrev
2008.07.07, 07:24 PM
Yeah, i just noticed that tinyrc has free shipping for rcp :)

How much can i expect to pay for a used wide L?
[im not posting on marketplace b/c i wouldnt be able to buy it at the moment]

briankstan
2008.07.07, 07:29 PM
Yeah, i just noticed that tinyrc has free shipping for rcp :)

How much can i expect to pay for a used wide L?
[im not posting on marketplace b/c i wouldnt be able to buy it at the moment]

that really depends. I've purchased 2 wide L's for $240 shipped. you just have to keep your eyes open and a quick finger to get the deals.

bermbuster
2008.07.07, 08:03 PM
How does the econo-track (http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Econo-Track__13646.aspx) compare to RCP? How is the grip, value, etc... I think i saw the econo-track on some of programmers videos.Also, is one package [6 tiles] a good size to make a track, or should i get two?Thanks

Before RCP econo track or anti fatique mats was the norm. The traction while not superior could be found by adjusting tires/suspension just like w RCP. What makes RCP shine is the rail system and how it goes together and can be changed very easily. When I go to race I know I can find a set up that will work on RCP. With the econo tiles it may take some time to get that set up. If your plans are to race exclusively on the econo type of track then it is not a bad thing. You can make rails by trimming tiles into strips and then fastening them to the foam. The first track in the NYC area used nails to hold the rails in place....
First off how much room do you have for a track? Next figure out how many packs of tiles you will need. Include for making rails....
for a mini z track you would want maybe 3 packs.
I remember seeing them for about $15 a pack.