PDA

View Full Version : F1: Spinning out - What to look for...

Programmers
2008.07.22, 04:02 AM
My F1 has developed a lot of under steer turning left and over steer turning right.

Normally, in an MR02 or MA010 I would know where to look and what to change but I am just stumped with my F1. I've changed the suspension plates and tried different tyre combinations but I have nothing... Just a spin in one direction.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what to look for when testing my car?

Cheers,
Tom.

mk2kompressor
2008.07.22, 04:21 AM
quite a number of things usually,
sticking front knuckles
shims required between the sus plate screws(to adjust tweak)
are you still running the stock diff?

Programmers
2008.07.22, 06:00 AM
My front knuckles move quite freely but I've not shimmed the plates though and yeah, I am using a ball diff. I set it to slip to absorb some of the drag but it only made a slight difference.

I've also soldered the motor wires now so they're tiny and go straight from the terminals to the motor without having to detour. Just done that and I've yet to test it.

tribe
2008.07.22, 06:07 AM
If you have a motor mount, look for interference with the body.

Action B
2008.07.22, 10:07 AM
My F1 has developed a lot of under steer turning left and over steer turning right.

Normally, in an MR02 or MA010 I would know where to look and what to change but I am just stumped with my F1. I've changed the suspension plates and tried different tyre combinations but I have nothing... Just a spin in one direction.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what to look for when testing my car?

Cheers,
Tom.

If it is under throttle, you very well may have a problem with your ball differential. I had a similar problem with my MA-010 under throttle. If i put it on a slick surface and floored it, you could visibly see the car turn on acceleration. If this happens to you, stick in the stock diff and test it again, if its gone, you found your problem. Thats how I found mine. Hope this helps, it took me hours to figure out the ball differential was causing the turning problem in my car....

Programmers
2008.07.22, 11:22 AM
On or off power, it spins mid corner... I'll try a stock diff though - see what I get.

Results later! :)

mleemor60
2008.07.22, 01:20 PM
Just noticed on one of my F-1's that on full right lock the left front tire just makes contact with the edge of the front wing. Good clearance on left lock to RF tire. Make sure the whole front wing assembly hasn't had the Coulthard treatment.

michvin
2008.07.22, 03:22 PM
front nose guard rubbing on the track (actually I had to modify all my F1 bodies to fix that), even maybe a screws sticking out. Knuckles binding. I know you said they don't, but did you check it while simulating the cornering? results might differ.
And yes, the diff. Make sure it works as it should.

ruf
2008.07.22, 06:27 PM
Causes of F1 tweak in order of probability/severity:

1) chassis is warped - use shims between the side plates and the motor mount to compensate. I find that about 0.5-1.0mm between the right side plate and the motor mount fixes the tweak.

2) motor wire/cap is rubbing against the chassis or body - clean up your wiring.

3) bumper is rubbing - shave the bumper posts and cut the edges where it runs underneath the front bulkhead to raise the bumper. The suspension should bottom our before the bumper touches the ground.

4) front spring is "stuck" in the knuckle and not fully seated - use lube and make sure your suspension is fully settled.

I guess it's time for an F1 tuning article... :p

michvin
2008.07.22, 09:23 PM
I guess it's time for an F1 tuning article... :ptime???? It's long overdue!

LBRC
2008.07.22, 11:06 PM
I guess it's time for an F1 tuning article... :p

Great, just about the perfect time for one.

:D Done yet?

ruf
2008.07.23, 01:56 PM
Hahaha! Tough crowd!