PDA

View Full Version : tie rods unscrew them self from the shocktowers

mirakeL
2008.07.22, 02:56 PM
my tie rods constantly unscrew them selfs from my alloy shocktowers. does any of you have the same problems, and if so, what have you done to prevent this from happening?

michvin
2008.07.22, 03:25 PM
my tie rods constantly unscrew them selfs from my alloy shocktowers. does any of you have the same problems, and if so, what have you done to prevent this from happening?threadlock. Always a good idea in metal-to-metal connections that are vibrating

mirakeL
2008.07.23, 01:38 AM
thats some sort of glue, right? how will i then be able to remove the screws if they should break or something?

HammerZ
2008.07.23, 02:28 AM
Threadlock, is a lifesaver in many ways. It still allows the parts to be unscrewed. I use it all the time on 1/10 cars and trucks for the pinion setscrews, something that can eat gears if it came loose inside a gearbox. Just in the case of a Mini Z you do want to keep it away from the plastic parts, as it can eat into that and damage it. So assemble the metal parts off the chassis, and let it dry good before putting it back on.

mirakeL
2008.07.23, 04:06 AM
sounds like a "must have"! where can i buy this? hobby-shops?

HammerZ
2008.07.23, 05:36 AM
Hobby shops may have the Great Planes Pro Threadlocker. This is the stuff I have. Automotive stores should have the Loctite brand, that might be easier to get to.

mirakeL
2008.07.23, 05:57 AM
ok. i'll see what i can find. thx for the help :)

michvin
2008.07.23, 09:31 AM
One word of cation: Threadlock (at least the brand I have, Locktite(?)) is quite hard to unscrew, if it was heated.

hrdrvr
2008.07.23, 12:36 PM
^ Loc-tite has a couple different grades (color coded). You need to read the package carefully because some of them arent meant to be heated, and others arent meant to be reomved :D I think its the blue one that is considered light duty and is fairly easy to remove.

marc
2008.07.23, 01:04 PM
You generally want to use the blue stuff for for basic maintanance and the red stuff for more permanent items. Somebody told me about purple stuff which is easier to undo than the blue. My opinion if it's easier to undo, it's also easier for it to undo itselfe. So, I'd use the blue stuff.