PDA

View Full Version : Iwaver mini cooper body.

wight
2008.08.02, 05:48 AM
This may seem like a stupid question,but,can anyone tell me if the iwaver mini cooper body is the same dimensions as the Kyosho mini cooper body?
I ask because looking at iwaver pictures of the iwaver 01 with mini cooper,it looks as if the chassis dimensions are the same for the saleen,ford gt and mustang,which I think are all 98mm wheelbase bodies,and also 5mm wider.
Basicly looking at using the iwaver mini as a cheaper replacement for te kyosho one.But it's no good if it's too big for 90mm mr015 chassis.

Thanks.

marc
2008.08.02, 12:28 PM
Hi there, since I have both, I can answer that with a photo. You can clearly see how much bigger the I-Cooper is compared to the K-Cooper. While the K-Cooper is 1/28 scale, the I-Cooper is actually closer to 1/24 scale, I dont' think the I-Cooper will fit the MR15, but maybe fit the MR02, or perhaps the MR02LM.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC07963.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC07964.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC07965.jpg

wight
2008.08.03, 03:41 AM
Superb.
Thank you marc.The Iwaver one looks a lot bigger when you look closely at your pictures.
Look good though.
Thanks again.

herman
2008.08.03, 08:53 PM
hmm... so i take it that the white one is kyosho and the green one is iwaver?
wondering what's the deal with the cutout roof on the white one?

fangel
2008.08.03, 08:58 PM
The Scale is a bit bigger, but then the overall proportion are very accurate.
In my personal (private) opinion I think the iwaver version looks better, since it host much more detail works (like chromes and lights) and the front air intake is much more realistic then the Kyosho version. Also the iwaver version is made from the same tough material that many member loves, since it can take up a lot of abuse on track. Don't be threaten by the looks of High Center of Gravity and thinking that it will tip over on sharp turns. Since the iwaver 02M body has a very low CG, it will prevent the car from tipping over.

marc
2008.08.03, 09:22 PM
hmm... so i take it that the white one is kyosho and the green one is iwaver?
wondering what's the deal with the cutout roof on the white one?

It's actually black, not green. The cutout roof on the white one was to make that sunroof some of the Mini Cooper's have. I just haven't gotten the thin smoked plastic to finish it though.
Fangel, I hate to disagree, I think the Kyosho version is much nicer, at least the AutoScale versions are. The details are little more precise and I think the AutoScale ones have chromed bit's as well. This one was a none-painted white body set which didn't have chromed bit's. There is this stuff called Bare Metal Foil that is made from I beleive Model Masters. It's ultra, ultra thin real metal with a sticky backing and it comes in all kinds of metalized finishes including chrome. If I had this material at the time, I would have chromed those details.
If you look at details such as the vents in front of the windshiled whippers, the Iwaver's are a bit off where as the K-Cooper is more precision. The other issue with the I-Cooper, is the wheels look dinky on the car. Look's like it's wearing 14 or 13 inch rim's. Also the body seems to nudge the batteries off the terminals just enough that it kills the car. One would have to take a pair of needle nose pliers and carefully adjust the battery terminals into a better position.

I'd like to do another Kyosho Mini Cooper and paint it gloss black with some inch-up wheels and use that Bare Metal Foil on that one. Oh yea, and put the Murcielago's exaust pipes on it!

herman
2008.08.04, 12:27 AM
It's actually black, not green. The cutout roof on the white one was to make that sunroof some of the Mini Cooper's have.
oh... ok... try to dress up the cutout roof with some fabric to simulate the sunroof...

marc
2008.08.04, 01:14 PM
The Mini Cooper's have a glass sun roof, not a fabric sunroof. I will see if I can find the material today when I'm in town.

fangel
2008.08.04, 10:56 PM
I think a glass sun roof is kinda cool, if it's made from clear plastic it would be cool.

marc
2008.08.04, 11:12 PM
its going to be a sheet of smoked plastic.

wight
2008.08.06, 11:28 AM
Don't be threaten by the looks of High Center of Gravity and thinking that it will tip over on sharp turns. Since the iwaver 02M body has a very low CG, it will prevent the car from tipping over.

This fact is actually not very helpful for my plans.
At the moment myself and my friend race Mclaren F1 gtr's and Enzo Ferrari's on mro2 mm chassis.
What we are looking for with the mini's is to run them on mro15's with the high motor mount to have a completely different class of racing.Add a little instability to make it different from what we already have.
As far as I can tell the Iwaver mini,although looking good,will fit the same chassis as our mclaren's and enzo's.Bit pointless really.
Thanks for the help though guy's.

marc
2008.08.06, 12:43 PM
My experience with racing the two Mini Cooper's, is the Iwaver didn't flip as much as the MR15 did. I think it had more to do with chassis design than the body. Not saying Iwaver's better, but the MR15HM's do have more tendancy to flip at high speed turns. Even my MR15 RM Skyline did several roll's down the track!

hrdrvr
2008.08.06, 01:11 PM
Wight, if you guys are looking at a fun class to run with 015s, you should really try out the 86mm porsche line up. There are some cool bodies in there, and the short wheel base is a tricky to set up and drive. They are a little wider and lower than the HM mini, but none the less a lot of fun (and a challenge) to drive at race pace. It definitly wouldnt be anything like running your mclarens and enzos.

marc
2008.08.06, 01:36 PM
A Porsche class would be cool if we had more Porsche bodies to race in. Some how the 962 doesn't exactly go with the 934's and 935's I dont' think. Be sweet to have a 928, and a 944.
How is the 934 for racing? I'm tempted to put my street-red 934 on a 2.4 MR15 chassis. I hear the stock tires suck, what would be a good replacement wheel and tire for it?
My apologies for steering off topic, but you mentioned Porsches.

fangel
2008.08.06, 08:27 PM
I think a fixed body class of any kind is cool. Since you would be seeing a whole generation of Porsche or any sort.

I would love to see some pictures if you have any of the race.

marc
2008.08.28, 09:56 AM
Update: I found the thin smoked plastic I was looking for, but it was too thin to work with. Really need a thicker peice like from the AutoScale case or something that is smoked. Also, I think the roof line has a bit of a curve to it and thus makes it difficult to finish the roof.

fangel
2008.08.28, 09:02 PM
Maybe you could find a autoscale white body for the smoke plastic.