PDA

View Full Version : Is the F1 to much?

dsilver668
2008.08.18, 12:43 AM
Ok first post to the forums, I am sure there will be more but here is my basic dilemma.
I have a son who is 5 and a daughter who is 8. The junk that Toys R Us sells just doesn't cut it anymore. I was looking for something we could run indoors, the Garage / Drive way and have fun. I also wanted to be able to repair it since with the usual junk once it crashes it is over with. Use would be supervised by me.
I personally own a CEN 1/10 nitro car with RB modified engine. I also run offroad with a Jammin CR Pro and a Kyosho Inferno. Both running modified engines with custom pipes.
Local support isn't great for Kyosho but there seems to be enough online retailers that I am not really worried about it.
I showed them the various mini z's Three caught my eye which were the Audi, the Mercedes, and of course the F1 cars. They both wanted F1.
My question is are the F1 cars to much for them, and is it possible to slow them down? Most of the Youtube videos show folks running modified motors, which is cool, I want the options to upgrade, but one a closed course will they get the hang of it?
Also for those of you in Northern California / South Bay Area, where do you go for local support.
Most of the stores don't carry Kyosho and then try to sell me 1/18 buggies which I don't want.
Any input would be greatly apreciated.

imxlr8ed
2008.08.18, 01:38 AM
If you go the F1 route, you must get the alloy knuckles and toe bars right away. I wouldn't say they are too much for kids... but you should get them practiced on some MR02s first. The wings on the F1s even with the bumpers are fairly delicate and if you're going to be racing on anything but an RCP, they might not hold up well.

I'd say your best bet is to go with MR02s for them, and try to get some sturdy racing trim bodies for them... Old style Benzs, the NSXs and the new Lexus seem to be some of the sturdier ones out there... there's a few more on that list too. Width helps protect the stock knuckles from breaking as well, that's why I suggest the racing trimmed cars. Surf around on here... there's all kinds of leads as to what holds up well.

Good luck!

franciscantony
2008.08.18, 01:53 AM
South Bay? You are in luck, please visit Inside Line Racing in Santa Clara.

www.insidelineracing.com on the web.

-Francis

Gofast
2008.08.18, 10:40 AM
Insideline Racing is the best Mini-z hobby shop in the bay area. Lots of parts and support to help maintain your F1. An RCP track with many good racers to learn the hobby from. You can even have kids birthday parties or corporate functions there. Most importantly Binh knows what good customer service is all about. Definitely give it a try.

Here's a video of the F1 stock race from the recent PN regional race:

F1 A-Main
http://ammdesigns.podcastpeople.com/posts/25778

Bay Area Indoor Mini-Z Radio Control RC Racing
www.insidelineracing.com

BTW, I don't work there.

Gofast

dsilver668
2008.08.18, 11:00 AM
Cool thanks for the feedback guys.
I do agree I was worried about the wings on the front. I was planning on building a track out of PVC and putting thin laminate in the curves. This way the chances of them plowing head on into anything would be less. I was going to start with a simple oval to teach them steering and speed control. After that we would add some more walls to make it look like an 8. This will teach them left and right, plus some braking. I really liked the Audi's DTM as well as the Mercedes, but when I showed them photos, they both wanted F1. Go figure.. lol
:rolleyes:
Also on a side note does anyone know if the MR 02 4.2 GHz chassis work with the Spectrum line of TX's? I have one I use for my other cars, and figured it would be cool to continue to use it. Off Road in the bay area stinks for nitro unless you have a huge yard or something.

mk2kompressor
2008.08.18, 11:04 AM
it only works with the mini z tx and module for the helios/ex1 ur.

mleemor60
2008.08.18, 12:57 PM
Cool thanks for the feedback guys.
I do agree I was worried about the wings on the front. I was planning on building a track out of PVC and putting thin laminate in the curves. This way the chances of them plowing head on into anything would be less. I was going to start with a simple oval to teach them steering and speed control. After that we would add some more walls to make it look like an 8. This will teach them left and right, plus some braking. I really liked the Audi's DTM as well as the Mercedes, but when I showed them photos, they both wanted F1. Go figure.. lol
:rolleyes:
Also on a side note does anyone know if the MR 02 4.2 GHz chassis work with the Spectrum line of TX's? I have one I use for my other cars, and figured it would be cool to continue to use it. Off Road in the bay area stinks for nitro unless you have a huge yard or something.

You got lucky actually. The most fragile nose I've seen on any mini-Z is the nose on the Audi. It's not uncommon to break off entire fenders from the inside of the headlight to the wheel opening. They are really nice to look at though. One of the sturdiest body's is the McLaren F-1 coupe body. I've run one for nearly a year in competition and have no plans to stop.

There are conversions for the 2.4 ASF module to make it work with the Futaba 3PK and I believe the Airtronics M-11 as well

dsilver668
2008.08.18, 01:51 PM
it only works with the mini z tx and module for the helios/ex1 ur.

waaahhh Leave it to Kyosho to do something proprietary lol.
Oh well, I have standard radios. :D
I I could pick up a F1 for myself to then just run it with my normal radio. They have the Ferrari F1 with some hop ups but no radio. lol my wife is gonna kill me I know it. :D

Beyond the modified motors on TinyRc's website do folks hand wind motors?
I am asking because in 1/10 modified motors are to the point of ridiculious already. Like my modified nitro motors they cost more than the whole chassis. :D
I am off to insideline to check em out. I prefer to buy local if I can unless getting the readyset online is cheaper. I know it is a margins game and honestly feel bad for local retailers. It is a really hard business to be in.

mleemor60
2008.08.18, 02:31 PM
An Atomic Stock-R revolution motor will operate on a standard 3010 board which should come in a Ready-set. That motor with a good handling chassis is a handful for most skilled drivers let alone going into anything more. I can tell you that the chassis responds very well to negative camber and toe out. I personally use green front springs with graphite side plates and no rear springs. The softer you can make the rear the better. For me anyway. To me they drive a lot like a 1/10th scale car. I guess due to the longer wheelbase than a standard Z chassis. Tire selection will be a matter of preference but Kyosho 20 rear and 30 fronts will be a good starting point for most conditions.

Gofast
2008.08.18, 02:33 PM
You can order the readyset from ILR and the prices will be very close to the online retailers. Even the hopups are often equal or cheaper than online and you don't pay shipping and handling. Like I said great customer service!

Gofast

dsilver668
2008.08.18, 03:08 PM
You can order the readyset from ILR and the prices will be very close to the online retailers. Even the hopups are often equal or cheaper than online and you don't pay shipping and handling. Like I said great customer service!

Gofast

Yup that can be worth it's weight in gold.
I ran over there credit card in hand but silly me I didn't read their operating hours! Closed Monday..... Spontaneous RC Car Purchase = FAILED!!!! :D
I will drop by and see what selection they have tomorrow. My sons 5th B-Day is this weekend so I kid of want to surprise him.

mleemor60
2008.08.18, 03:47 PM
Yup that can be worth it's weight in gold.
I ran over there credit card in hand but silly me I didn't read their operating hours! Closed Monday..... Spontaneous RC Car Purchase = FAILED!!!! :D
I will drop by and see what selection they have tomorrow. My sons 5th B-Day is this weekend so I kid of want to surprise him.

Happy birthday to your son and welcome aboard. You will so fall in love with the fact that you can make a road trip to a miniZ race with a briefcase instead of a pick-up truck and trailer.

dsilver668
2008.08.18, 05:45 PM
LOL hahaha oh yeah tell me about it. I have a boss who flew 40% planes now that was an outing...
I will drop by inside line tomorrow when they are open. Not sure how much stock they carry, but if things go well I will have spent some cash.. ;)
I can honestly say though the quality in detail of the Kyosho Mini Z line blew me away. Others may be faster or larger but none of them look as nice. I am so tempted to get the Subaru STI as I own the real thing. :D

ruf
2008.08.18, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the F1 lunatic house! ILR will treat you right. They're good people and Binh is an F1 racer as well. There are a few things that need to be done with the F1 to make it more fun out of the box, so poke around here and feel free to ask questions!

mleemor60
2008.08.18, 07:59 PM
LOL hahaha oh yeah tell me about it. I have a boss who flew 40% planes now that was an outing...
I will drop by inside line tomorrow when they are open. Not sure how much stock they carry, but if things go well I will have spent some cash.. ;)
I can honestly say though the quality in detail of the Kyosho Mini Z line blew me away. Others may be faster or larger but none of them look as nice. I am so tempted to get the Subaru STI as I own the real thing. :D

Get over onto the Ask Kyosho forum and look at all the things for the entire year. then take a trip into the photo galleries and really loose it

dsilver668
2008.08.18, 11:59 PM
I know I know.. I already have like five different cars I want, and I haven't even gotten started yet. lol I will hit ILR tomorrow and get to know the guys. I also want to see the track to.
It is funny I was on their website and didn't see product for sale just T-shirts. Wonder why that is? Good to know where they are as they are a tiny non descript store.

wwwes
2008.08.19, 04:26 PM
This may sound a little strange but use alkaline batteries on your kids f1. We have a club that races mainly f1 and our demo car has been runing:) on them for quite a while. The reduced speed also means less breakage. I definately agree get some aluminum knuckles and a tie rod to start off you will be glad you did. If you want to see some bad driving check out our site.:)

dsilver668
2008.08.19, 06:48 PM
Yeah upgrading to the metal is always better. I plan on running plain old batteries at first. I will be getting myself a charger though. At least this way daddy will be able to run too. :D
I am really torn between the F1 and the MR-02. I like both of them actually. Kids want F1 though so that is what I will get em. I personally want an MR-02 with upgraded motor, and running a Mercedes body. I like the Audi and soon to be released Aston Martin DB9.

herman
2008.08.19, 09:39 PM
open wheel racing for kids won't be cheap... i suggest get extra gear diffs and knuckles and rims.... good luck... :D

mleemor60
2008.08.20, 07:53 AM
If within reason you can keep them from running into each other the best investment in parts you can make would be an RCP wide-L track. There is a lot to be said for soft walls.

dsilver668
2008.08.21, 01:46 PM
Ok finally pulled the trigger. :D
I didn't go with F1 yet. I got two MR-02 chassis. Once was an NSX ready set and the other was a chassis only. I have a nice Airtronics tx at home collecting dust and this will work fine for it. I also got a crystal set. to finish it off I got the "Red" NSX because my sone really wanted that and the Audi Red Bull. Mainly because tinyrc had it on sale at a price I couldn't say no to and my daughter really liked the red bull car. I will be probably getting the
See details Kyosho Mini-Z F1 Team McLaren Mercedes MP4-22 Fernando Alonso #1 ReadySet (3010 FETs). I was hoping for a 2.4 GHz ready set but that may not happen.
I got the MR-02 because I was concerned with them hitting the exposed wheels and ending the fun to soon. I know the audis have fragile bumpers but if the chassis is in one peace switching bodies is easy.

TALLGEESE
2008.08.21, 02:35 PM
^^^^ Congratulations on you're new purchases, you won't be sorry that you chose the MR-02, It's a great chassis.. As you and other's on here have already mentioned, the Audi is notoriously weak in the front.. However, there are ways to re-inforce it.. I'd recommend using a high-grade, medium viscosity CA type glue such as "Plastic Zap"{made by Pacer technologies}, to beef up both the inside and outside of the grill and headlight assemblies..

Another thing you might want to try is the new bumper reinforcement plates that just came out from Atomic racing.. They make a plate just for the Audi that you glue in place.. The part number for the plate is AR-251-A4.. Here's a link to the Atomic reinforcement plate..http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=9&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1396&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

dsilver668
2008.08.21, 03:37 PM
sweet thanks for the link. Yeah I was thinking either thin plastic or even two part epoxy. I got a plastic zap store at home with the foamies I fly and the nitro stuff, plus the model trains. ;)
Now I can't wait for them to arrive. They say 2 to 3 business days so I am hoping it will be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

imxlr8ed
2008.08.21, 04:10 PM
Tallgeese is dead on with the reinforcement part, super-gluing the lights in is a big part of keeping the noses of these cars together. Not all of them need it, but the Audi definitely does. I have a generous helping of ZapGap on some of my cars, and they've held up just fine. Key is, letting them dry on a small fan so the fumes don't haze up the surrounding plastic. It may still haze slightly, but not nearly as much as just letting them sit there and dry with no ventilation.

dsilver668
2008.08.21, 04:35 PM
Yup or pop off the window glazing so it doesn't fog. The tint job on some of the cars are awesome.

dsilver668
2008.08.21, 04:47 PM
OMG is TinyRC really that good. I ordered at 10:00 and now at 2:44 got a tracking number! Sweet...