PDA

View Full Version : HFAY motor for this season?

russp
2008.08.19, 11:24 PM
If we are going to use the HFAY motor this season we better act quick before they are all gone. What's the plan? Personally, I'd like to as I want to run some HFAY anyways.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97&products_id=181

- Russ

AtlRC
2008.08.26, 10:30 PM
I think I remember towards the end of last season talking about sticking with the current stock Kyosho motors... or moving to some new "tamer" motor out there that was not as powerful as the new HFAY motor?

If what I remember is correct, the HFAY motor is quite a bit more powerful than the stock Kyhosho and with everyone having powerful FET's now, we are going to be moving really fast for our relativly small tracks that we run. We did decide to remove our FET rule, correct??? Since new Mini-Z's are always coming out with more and more powerful FETS it doesn't make sense to me to keep any restrictions in place unless we restrict stacks? Please chime in on this.

It seams to me that if we switch to the HFAY motor, we may not wind up running an open class since most people running that motor in stock could probably do very well with it in open (even with others trying to run really fast motors and crashing more). So we would have 2 classes with very little difference. Thoughts???

I also feel that if we switch to HFAY motor's we are also going to put those "casual" and beginner drivers at a disadvantage. We will have raised the bar and made it more difficult for those people to compete.

On the plus side:
New motor is rebuildable. Is this correct? I would welcome that.
We could run HFAY races (doesn't matter to me).

I'd just like to make sure that we keep it fun for the casual and beginner drivers. I'd rather have a stock class where everyone was slower than faster and an open class for the advanced drivers to show their stuff. Our biggest concern should be attracting new drivers and not discouraging them. I don't think that telling them they have to buy a "better" motor to compete then watching them have a harder time driving the car is a good idea.

Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks.

imxlr8ed
2008.08.27, 01:42 AM
The new HFAY motor is basically a PN Stock motor, it's 70 turns of level playing field fun! All participants must use the new 70 turn HFAY Spec motor. It's a great motor so far for all of us here at DOW and it's certainly one of the tamest motors I've ever raced with. Much tamer than the old HFAY Spec Motor. I'm pretty sure we're going to have this new motor around for a long time to come.

Are you guys going to enter the current Season 6 or are you talking about Season 7 in January? I only ask because we've already run our first Event. You do get 2 point drops though, so as long as you race the rest of the Season you can still be competitive. Here's the link to the Season 6 manuals for Racer class and the new F1 class:

http://hfay.tinyrc.com/PointSeries/Season6/tabid/136/Default.aspx

There are some links in the VTRs motor section showing you where to purchase the new HFAY Spec motors.

hpgod
2008.08.27, 08:02 AM
We are not in the HFAY. Our hobby shop location with the rcp track closed so we are in basements right now on 1 custom fatigue track and 1 rcp track on occassion. Moving out of public dropped our racer numbers to 5-6 from ~10-15 in the hobbyshop.

hrdrvr
2008.08.27, 08:46 AM
Id just like to reinforce what imx stated. We are running some of the new 70t motors in our little group, and they are a blast. There are guys running AM stock boards, FETed boards and a couple of us running stock and FETed ASF boards. Every one is on a pretty level playing field and racing isnt as fast as say, speedy 07 racing (which can be mod speeds with good FETs). Most every one has decided to get one, and I think once they do, all of our racing will be a lot closer.

We are also not discouraging the use of the box stock motor. Its not any slower on stock FETs than the 70t is. IMO, the 70t does get a little quicker with a FET upgrade, but not too much. My stock motors never seem to get any faster at all though. Its a great alternative though, for the guy running aftermarket motor mounts and such, as they can run it, and still be very close to stock speed.

russp
2008.08.27, 09:04 AM
Based on this I'd like to use this motor. My stock motor is due for replacement anyways and this is both cheaper and better than a new stock motor. I'm also working on that lap timer I discussed in the software section that will allow me to do HFAY time trials at home and for that I would need the HFAY motor.

So let's, take a poll. I say yes and let's place the order.

bemoore
2008.08.27, 02:54 PM
If it's only a little faster than the Kyosho motor, and "Much tamer than the old HFAY Spec Motor", I guess I'll vote for the new HFAY motor as well.

pinoyboy
2008.08.27, 03:47 PM
If it's only a little faster than the Kyosho motor, and "Much tamer than the old HFAY Spec Motor", I guess I'll vote for the new HFAY motor as well.

I can confirm that this motor is a lot tamer than the older HFAY spec motor;) I'm for this motor as well :D

russp
2008.08.27, 05:32 PM
Ok, I'm assembling a combined order, chime in for what you need:

Billy - 1 motor?
Patrick - 3 motors?
Russ - 2 motors
Art ?
Anyone else local?

I will likely also try some of their 6 degree tires.

pinoyboy
2008.08.27, 05:58 PM
Ok, I'm assembling a combined order, chime in for what you need:

Billy - 1 motor?
Patrick - 3 motors?
Russ - 2 motors
Art ?
Anyone else local?

I will likely also try some of their 6 degree tires.

Could you put me in for 2 please? Thank you:D

AtlRC
2008.08.27, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a plan! I'll try to order a few extra motors prior to our next season starting. I'll be starting a new thread about our next season pretty soon.

Thanks for everyones input! The HFAY motor looks like a good choice.

Yes, I'll take 3 motors.

imxlr8ed
2008.08.28, 03:20 AM
Be sure to break them in before running them... I'm sure you guys do this already, but when it comes to stock motors the smoother the comm, the better! I did water break-ins for all of mine and they run real well.

hpgod
2008.08.28, 07:38 AM
I will need 2 motors.

This motor is like my practice stock arm in a PN BB motor can. I run 1-2 tenths quicker with it then a stock motor.

Patrick any hints on when the season will start up. I need an excuss to ring on a 1/10 racer arm to get a miniz, even if I have to give him my practice car to run.

Any of you good at doing fets. I want to upgrade my AM 02 board from 3010s to better fets to be on par with the 2.4 boards.

Russ get you a set of the reflex racing tires

Art

russp
2008.08.28, 11:26 AM
Art, are these the tires you are talking about?

http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=SSG2WD&cat=2

hpgod
2008.08.28, 12:19 PM
Russ yes those are them.
I ran the used 1 set hank gave my with the mr02 he sold me the rest of the season (5-6days) on stock car. I will run the same set a few days this year too. I used them unprepped and the grip level is the same as when i ran pn6/8tires prepped (prepped grip did not last the entire run).

russp
2008.08.31, 11:11 AM
Placed the order. Shipping added 70 cents per motor so here's everyones totals:

Hank - 2 motors, $18.40
Art - 2 motors, $18.40
Billy - 1 motor, $9.20
Patrick - 3 motors, $27.60

I also got 2 motors and one of their competition battery sets. I have 2 matched sets now. It would be three if I could find the ones I originally bought. :(

Let me float another idea: If these ship on Tuesday they should get here by Friday (2-day priority) so anyone interested in getting together at my house for some practice runs Saturday for an hour or two?

pinoyboy
2008.08.31, 12:45 PM
Thanks Russ! I'd be interested in some practice, but I have to attend a wedding:(

russp
2008.09.01, 08:02 AM
Thanks Russ! I'd be interested in some practice, but I have to attend a wedding:(

We'll try another day later.

briankstan
2008.09.02, 11:35 AM
Placed the order. Shipping added 70 cents per motor so here's everyones totals:

Hank - 2 motors, $18.40
Art - 2 motors, $18.40
Billy - 1 motor, $9.20
Patrick - 3 motors, $27.60

I also got 2 motors and one of their competition battery sets. I have 2 matched sets now. It would be three if I could find the ones I originally bought. :(

Let me float another idea: If these ship on Tuesday they should get here by Friday (2-day priority) so anyone interested in getting together at my house for some practice runs Saturday for an hour or two?

FYI, I dropped your order at the Post office this morning. thanks for the order. :)

hpgod
2008.09.03, 12:15 PM
russ
Do you want to run saterday? If so pick a time, the earlier the better, and I will come by with my daughter (2) and pick up the motors and run a pack or 2.

russp
2008.09.03, 08:18 PM
russ
Do you want to run saterday? If so pick a time, the earlier the better, and I will come by with my daughter (2) and pick up the motors and run a pack or 2.

How about 10 a.m.? Early enough?

hpgod
2008.09.03, 10:08 PM
10 sounds good

russp
2008.09.05, 02:25 PM
Art, package left Atlanta this morning but looks like it did not make it up to our house today. Hence, I'm guessing it will come tomorrow. You are welcome to come at 10 regardless but it looks like the motors won't be here. Our mail usually comes by 1 p.m.

I think it's delayed due to a screw up in the post office. According to tracking at some point it was in Marietta so I think they accidentally sent it up there, then had to send it back to Atlanta and then back up to us.

hpgod
2008.09.05, 08:30 PM
russ I will hook up with you maybe next weekend then. Picking up the motor is my excuse togo for the wife. I ended up setting up my full mini96 track in the garage tonight to run for the next week. thankyou for ordering the clubs motors.

russp
2008.09.06, 12:35 PM
Got all the motors today. Hopefully I'll get to try one out later. I need to rebuild my car swapping in the 3010 board on mine.

pinoyboy
2008.09.06, 10:06 PM
Got all the motors today. Hopefully I'll get to try one out later. I need to rebuild my car swapping in the 3010 board on mine.

So, would next Saturday be ok to practice and pay for the motors?:o

russp
2008.09.07, 12:16 PM
So, would next Saturday be ok to practice and pay for the motors?:o

Unfortunately not. My parents are coming for a visit this week so it will have to be the following week. Friday evening would actually work best but if not then if would have to be in the afternoon like 2 p.m. on Saturday.

randy44
2008.09.07, 05:14 PM
Hey guys this is Randy...I used to race with you guys at Hobbymart before Miguel closed shop. I had the stock red Enzo and raced with you guys only about 3 or 4 times. I would like to start racing again and could use a practice session. I just got a HFAY motor as well so I need to ask you guys what's the best way to break it in? Looking forward to seeing you all again,

Randy

russp
2008.09.07, 05:57 PM
Welcome back Randy. We are going to have a practice session coming up soon. It would be this coming Saturday but I guess you read the posts above. In any case, if you are going to race stock we are all using the HFAY motors. I just received the order and we have extra motors so you should be able to buy one from me at our upcoming practice. The motor is $9.20.

Once we decide on a time just email me for directions to m y house. We still don't have a hobby-shop to race in but there is some possibility of that happening at least once this season. It works well with smaller number just racing in either mine or Patrick's basement.

russp
2008.09.07, 10:35 PM
Just rebuilt my car with the new Ford GT body, the new 3010 chassis, and the new motor. I drove it with my old stock motor first and then with the new motor. The new motor does not seem appreciably faster. It might be slightly faster but my stock motor was pretty worn anyways so it could be just due to that. In any case, this car is much punchier than my old one due to the 3010 FETs. Pair this with those new batteries and I think it will be a rocket. Hopefully more comparable to one of Hank's cars. :)

In any case, this new Ford GT body may need a different set of wheels on the front. I used the ones that came with it and due to the way the body curves at the front they stick out ever so slightly on the front. This caused me to keep peeling tires off with the slightest bumps on the rails so I probably need a slightly smaller offset to suck these in just inside the body. I guess I'll search and see if anyone else has had this issue.

randy44
2008.09.07, 10:53 PM
Did you do any break-in procedure for your new HFAY motor?

russp
2008.09.08, 08:48 AM
Did you do any break-in procedure for your new HFAY motor?

Depends on who you ask. At least one guy on the forums here did a water break-in while others did not. I think someone even did a comparison between break-in and no break-in and saw no difference. From what I read most seem to lean towards "don't bother, just use it" so that's what I'm doing.

Check out this thread:

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28398&highlight=water+break

hpgod
2008.09.08, 10:59 AM
RUSS Glue the tire down just like larger scales. The faster you go the more likely you are to throw tires.

Ps My daughter loves to play cars now. She brings me the X mod remote I gave last year as a toy and says "Play Remote". She then grabs my hand and pulls me top the garage where my track is setup this week. My wife just shakes here head.

russp
2008.09.08, 11:30 AM
RUSS Glue the tire down just like larger scales. The faster you go the more likely you are to throw tires.

Ps My daughter loves to play cars now. She brings me the X mod remote I gave last year as a toy and says "Play Remote". She then grabs my hand and pulls me top the garage where my track is setup this week. My wife just shakes here head.

I thought about it. I dislike the idea of gluing though. Any experience with tire tape?

I do plan on reducing the offset just slightly as they definitely stick out a hair on the front when they ideally should not.

hpgod
2008.09.08, 12:19 PM
Tape works Ok on new tires, much better then no tape. It will come off every once in a while. On paper thin tire they still peel. I prefer the glue and just order extra set of rims.

After I have worn the tire down to nothing the rims usually have cracks so I cannot reuse them anyway. I am sure running on the mini96 track causes my cars take 10 times the hits then running on a wide track.

I do know this atomic rims vaporize in accetone so you cannot unglue atomic rims. I need to throw a pn rim in a jar one day.

russp
2008.09.08, 12:33 PM
Tape works Ok on new tires, much better then no tape. It will come off every once in a while. On paper thin tire they still peel. I prefer the glue and just order extra set of rims.

After I have worn the tire down to nothing the rims usually have cracks so I cannot reuse them anyway. I am sure running on the mini96 track causes my cars take 10 times the hits then running on a wide track.

I do know this atomic rims vaporize in accetone so you cannot unglue atomic rims. I need to throw a pn rim in a jar one day.

The Griplock tire lock stuff looks interesting. I don't know if maybe Walmart would carry it. I might check this week. Evidentally it's a motorcycle product.

Of course you have the issue of you better not need to change tires day of the race since it takes time to setup.
This may not be a huge issue though with front tires since I usually don't mess with the fronts.

hpgod
2008.09.08, 01:15 PM
You are more then welcome to borrow some tape and tape all you wheels when we get together next time. Hank and I both used the Pn tape rolls. I tape them initally to test out them lock them down with glue for racing.

randy44
2008.09.08, 06:56 PM
Thank you for the motor break-in link. Also are you allowed to run a ball diff in the stock class? What brand do you guys recommend?

pinoyboy
2008.09.08, 09:14 PM
Thank you for the motor break-in link. Also are you allowed to run a ball diff in the stock class? What brand do you guys recommend?

yup, ball diffs are allowed;)

I've had good luck using a gear diff though.

russp
2008.09.08, 09:34 PM
yup, ball diffs are allowed;)

I've had good luck using a gear diff though.

I just use some generic one I got off ebay. It was cheap and seems fine enough. Maybe now that I'm improving I will look at it more to see if some fine tuning might help but at this point I think I'll get more mileage out of working with toe and tires. Hence, it would not be the first thing I'd upgrade. First thing would be a proper disc damper if you don't already have that. Ball bearings also of course. There is a whole thread recently on this in the MR02 section.

randy44
2008.09.09, 01:44 PM
I did see that thread about what to upgrade first. I do already have bearings an assortment of tires, disk damper, graphite h-plates, toe tie rods, stainless kingpin, and aluminum knuckle. I did notice that my battery charger is not fully charging my batteries as well as making them very hot towards the end of the charge cycle. I was looking at getting a la crosse charger. Are you guys still using this charger or do you recommend something else?

pinoyboy
2008.09.09, 03:18 PM
I did see that thread about what to upgrade first. I do already have bearings an assortment of tires, disk damper, graphite h-plates, toe tie rods, stainless kingpin, and aluminum knuckle. I did notice that my battery charger is not fully charging my batteries as well as making them very hot towards the end of the charge cycle. I was looking at getting a la crosse charger. Are you guys still using this charger or do you recommend something else?

I use the la crosse and it works good for me. I think Russp has one too.

Also, pick up some new batteries before the season starts. I'd suggest picking up a couple of Team Orion 900HVs and at least one set of matched AAAs by Team Scream Racing or R1wurks;)

As for tires, get some very sticky rears. I'd suggest the following
-PN 6 radials
-Kyosho 20 slick rears
-Reflex racing SSGs

Those are in no particular order. I think when you raced with us at the LHS, most were running GPM tires, I know I was. However, more testing and new tire compounds have made them obsolete to the three mentioned above.

Hopefully, this helps some:D If you have any other questions just ask;)

randy44
2008.09.09, 03:50 PM
Thanks Henry! That sucks about the GPM tires since I have about 4 brand new sets of radial 8 degree. I will pick up a la crosse then and some tires. What surface are you guys racing on?

briankstan
2008.09.09, 04:18 PM
the tires really depend on the track.

If you have the older GPM 8's they are great, if you have some of the newer batches they seem to have a different compound and don't grip as well.

At RCX, I couldn't get any tires to work on the new track with my setup, I finally tried the GPM tires and they were perfect. It might not hut to try them out on your track.

russp
2008.09.09, 09:57 PM
Thanks Henry! That sucks about the GPM tires since I have about 4 brand new sets of radial 8 degree. I will pick up a la crosse then and some tires. What surface are you guys racing on?

When we race on my track it's standard RCP like was at the hobby shop. GPMs work fine on this. However, Patrick has his own homemade track and it's much slicker. Hence the need for better, stickier tires.

I second the suggestion on batteries. I bought some Orion 900 matched cells and WOW What a Difference! It's pretty much like putting a turbo charger in the car. Brian sells some on his site, also have sellers on ebay (sometimes, not always). I think the shop.tinyrc.com also has some.

randy44
2008.09.10, 02:36 PM
I noticed that there are 2 sets of pn 6 degree tires: carpet or RCP which ones should I get for Patrick's track? Also should I get a harder compound for front than rear?

pinoyboy
2008.09.10, 04:09 PM
I noticed that there are 2 sets of pn 6 degree tires: carpet or RCP which ones should I get for Patrick's track? Also should I get a harder compound for front than rear?

You want to make sure to pick up some PN racing 6 degree radials for the rear. For the front tires, I'd suggest a set of 10 and 15 degree tires to try

randy44
2008.09.10, 05:32 PM
PN has the same 6 degree tire for CARPET or RCP. Which should I get?

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_129_145&products_id=3519

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_129_145&products_id=3542

pinoyboy
2008.09.10, 06:37 PM
PN has the same 6 degree tire for CARPET or RCP. Which should I get?

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_129_145&products_id=3519

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_129_145&products_id=3542

my bad, I forgot the total point of your queation:p Get the ones for RCP:D

randy44
2008.09.10, 06:59 PM
Thanks Henry!

russp
2008.09.11, 09:39 AM
my bad, I forgot the total point of your queation:p Get the ones for RCP:D

I assume Hank these are what you run then? I wonder how they compare to the reflex racing tires. I was considering ordering some but have not yet.

briankstan
2008.09.11, 11:32 AM
I assume Hank these are what you run then? I wonder how they compare to the reflex racing tires. I was considering ordering some but have not yet.

the Reflex tires are good, I'm not convinced that they last any longer than 2 times what the PN tires does. However, I have run several set of them and they tend to loose the traction once the grooves are gone. The PN tires are very similar in that the grip fades when the treads wear off,

I'd say they are very equal in cost of 2 sets of PN tires = 1 set of Reflex tires, so being that the cost is the same it's a wash.

russp
2008.09.11, 12:03 PM
the Reflex tires are good, I'm not convinced that they last any longer than 2 times what the PN tires does. However, I have run several set of them and they tend to loose the traction once the grooves are gone. The PN tires are very similar in that the grip fades when the treads wear off,

I'd say they are very equal in cost of 2 sets of PN tires = 1 set of Reflex tires, so being that the cost is the same it's a wash.

Great info. I'll just try some PN tires then given that we can get them via a local source over ebay. Hence, cheap shipping.

pinoyboy
2008.09.11, 12:49 PM
Last season, I was using 3racing tires for the first half of the season. Later, I had to upgrade to PN 8 degree RCP tires once Art started using the SSGs.

I'll be using the PN Racing 6 degree radials this season, and may experiment with SSGs or Kyosho 20s.

As for tire wear on Patirck's track, they last much compared to racing on RCP. His track isn't as abrasive. You can probably get away with using one set of rear tires for the entire season:eek:

russp
2008.09.11, 02:09 PM
Last season, I was using 3racing tires for the first half of the season. Later, I had to upgrade to PN 8 degree RCP tires once Art started using the SSGs.

I'll be using the PN Racing 6 degree radials this season, and may experiment with SSGs or Kyosho 20s.

As for tire wear on Patirck's track, they last much compared to racing on RCP. His track isn't as abrasive. You can probably get away with using one set of rear tires for the entire season:eek:

Well, I'm going to go ahead and order from Brian as he is the only one who has these in stock and ships for a reasonable price. I was wondering about slicks versus radials though. Anyone tried both? I'm partial to radials but was wondering.

briankstan
2008.09.11, 02:15 PM
Well, I'm going to go ahead and order from Brian as he is the only one who has these in stock and ships for a reasonable price. I was wondering about slicks versus radials though. Anyone tried both? I'm partial to radials but was wondering.

the readial have better traction from my experience. especially on a track that might be slightly dirty, or grainy.

pinoyboy
2008.09.11, 02:21 PM
the readial have better traction from my experience. especially on a track that might be slightly dirty, or grainy.

I agree with Brian:D

hpgod
2008.09.11, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=pinoyboy;314753]I agree with Brian

one set of ssg will last the whole season
I regroove them using a foot calus spike tool that shawn showed me. I run the tires down to the rims. my original set of ssgs is still on my car ( they were even used from hank on a car he sold me) I run old tires at home to burn them up, I run Pn15s up front and ssg rear Pn6 are similar grip but I am more consistant with the SSGs. I do not prep the ssg any.

pinoyboy
2008.09.11, 06:48 PM
All this talk is getting me stoked to race again:D I really would like to try the AWD, but I have a feeling it won't be up to the task this season. If thats the case, I may go back to my mr-02, either 98mm or 94mm on my VDS body;)

Also, for those running F1, if we're gonna be going by HFAY rules, we have to also use either the stock Kyosho motor or the HFAY motor. I know we had are own rules last season, but HFAY didn't have an F1 class then. Just thought I'd remind everyone about it:D

russp
2008.09.11, 08:00 PM
All this talk is getting me stoked to race again:D I really would like to try the AWD, but I have a feeling it won't be up to the task this season. If thats the case, I may go back to my mr-02, either 98mm or 94mm on my VDS body;)

Also, for those running F1, if we're gonna be going by HFAY rules, we have to also use either the stock Kyosho motor or the HFAY motor. I know we had are own rules last season, but HFAY didn't have an F1 class then. Just thought I'd remind everyone about it:D

I guess we are too late for this HFAY season but going forward I'd like to be part of it. I definitely at least plan to enter times online for the self-compete stuff. That's why I'm making that lap timer program. I was hoping to finish it by now but work and the need for a spelling program first for my son has slowed me down.

I am excited to do some racing also. :)

briankstan
2008.09.12, 12:36 AM
your never to late to join in, but you would be at a dissadvantage. there are 2 drops per season, and were are 4 races into season 6.

if you want to wait until the next season rolls around so you have the complete season that is cool, it will start in July. ;)

if you have any questions about HFAY shoot me an email or post on the boards. I'm happy to help.

pinoyboy
2008.09.12, 01:10 AM
your never to late to join in, but you would be at a dissadvantage. there are 2 drops per season, and were are 4 races into season 6.

if you want to wait until the next season rolls around so you have the complete season that is cool, it will start in July. ;)

if you have any questions about HFAY shoot me an email or post on the boards. I'm happy to help.

hmm, next season could work as I know some of us wouldn't mind racing in the summer right? If I understand right, races can be run at any time as long as the results are sent before the deadline?

Russ, if you'd like to run HFAY, may I participate with you?:D

hpgod
2008.09.12, 10:24 AM
HFAY
I would run also. mr02 and f1

briankstan
2008.09.12, 10:54 AM
hmm, next season could work as I know some of us wouldn't mind racing in the summer right? If I understand right, races can be run at any time as long as the results are sent before the deadline?

Russ, if you'd like to run HFAY, may I participate with you?:D

You can run the HFAY events at anytime after the season begins, You could, if you wanted, run all 10 races in the same day. You can also submit the times in advance right after you complete the races. We try to make it as easy as possible to compete.

I'd typically say jump in now, but you would be at a points disadvantage because of the missed races, however there are quite a few racers that miss more than 2 races so you never know where you'd finish.