PDA

View Full Version : ATM tie rod binding

hrdrvr
2008.08.21, 08:03 AM
I know that the front of the F1 is a little delicate so I decided to actually put some alloy on there (something i usually shy away from because of bad experiences in the past) to beef it up. I started with K 1* knuckles which worked perfectly. Next I decided to add an ATM tie rod, as I knew that was the next weak point. Well, it binds on full lock and wont let the knuckles turn back to center. Ive grinded atleast .5 of a mm out of it and still happens. Now Ive got slop too :o

The problems is the slop in the tie rod. It moves forward when it turns from full lock back. When it moves forward the pin (from the knuckle) gets wedged at an odd angle and hangs up. You can push it over with your hand easily, but you cant pull it from the other side and get it to move at all.

Is there a trick to get this to work? Do I just run plastic and hope I dont break it in a race? Thats what I do with my AWDs and MR02s, but I protect those plastic parts with the body.

2EZ
2008.08.21, 10:21 AM
Buy a kyosho or PN tie rod

hrdrvr
2008.08.21, 10:36 AM
^ Can you tell me where this is possible? Ive only seen the K in plastic and Ive never seen a PN F1 tie rod. The only alloy ones Ive ever seen in stock in any store are ATM.

If it were that easy, Id do it :D

pinoyboy
2008.08.21, 10:44 AM
^ Can you tell me where this is possible? Ive only seen the K in plastic and Ive never seen a PN F1 tie rod. The only alloy ones Ive ever seen in stock in any store are ATM.

If it were that easy, Id do it :D

I don't think PN makes one, but I know you can sometimes find GPM F1 tie rods. The shop here has one
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16550&cat=409&page=2

I have an black alloy tie rod by GPM and I haven't noticed any binding

hrdrvr
2008.08.21, 01:14 PM
I had kind of written GPM off as an option. I didnt have too good of luck with their parts back in the xmod days. I just ordered from tiny yesterday :( Ill see about chekcing out their tie rod next time I place an order. Otherwise, I saw ATM makes a tie rod holder, but I wonder if that will fix the problem, or be another waste of cash......

pinoyboy
2008.08.21, 01:19 PM
I had kind of written GPM off as an option. I didnt have too good of luck with their parts back in the xmod days. I just ordered from tiny yesterday :( Ill see about chekcing out their tie rod next time I place an order. Otherwise, I saw ATM makes a tie rod holder, but I wonder if that will fix the problem, or be another waste of cash......

I dunno if the ATM piece will help as a local actually had binding with that piece.:(
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=280601&postcount=4

TALLGEESE
2008.08.21, 01:22 PM
I've used the GPM aluminum tie-rods before with good results as well.. They're good quality and the ones I used were nice and smooth.. I've run both the 0 degree and -1 toe out versions with no problems...

hrdrvr
2008.08.21, 01:36 PM
Thanks Hank. Ill bypass that and go with the GPM based on yours and TALLs exp.

I appreciate it guys.

mleemor60
2008.08.21, 03:11 PM

Got one. nice piece with plastic tie rod but was a little snug metal to metal. Took fine square edged file and carefully removed a tiny bit of material from the holder. Now it's a really sweet piece.

hrdrvr
2008.08.22, 07:02 AM
I think Ill try the GPM one, and if that doesnt work, Ill go back to a plastic one.