PDA

View Full Version : Free lap counter coming

russp
2008.08.25, 02:26 PM
FYI, I'm messing around with the Wii Remote to create a lap counter for Mini-z's that I will release for free. It will only be able to track a single car but it should be good for the HFAY lap challenge. The great thing is that is will be wireless and use the Wii Remote which is something many people now already have.

I have yet to verify that the Wii Remote will be fast enough to get good results but I think it will since it's internal "camera" operates at 100 frames/second. If it's looking at say a 12" square I think for Mini-z's we should be able to get accurate results to within 10 ms or so.

If you have a WiiMote and are interested as an early tester let me know. It does not require any mods to your Wii Remote at all but you will need to be able to bind it via bluetooth to your PC. I'd particularly like test results from someone who has another timing system to compare it's results to.

If I get my act together it might be ready for testing by as early as the end of Sept.

MikeL
2008.08.25, 03:19 PM
You can also build this setup with a LED pointer and a photo resistor and use something like RC laps.

russp
2008.08.25, 04:17 PM
You can also build this setup with a LED pointer and a photo resistor and use something like RC laps.

No doubt but I have a reason for using the WiiMote. For one it allows an easy wireless connection to the PC, and secondly I plan to use this really as a learning platform for grander non-RC related ideas I have for WiiMote type sensing. Finally, your total cost for a wireless sensor if you already have a WiiMote will be: bluetooth adapter ($20 or so if your PC does not already support it), Battery powered IR LED array - $5-$10 or so, small reflective sticker for the car ($1 at your local craft store or less).

My software will also be tuned to the purpose of individual competition. I wanted something that can call out the laptimes to me as I run via voice as well as provide a constant large running display of current lap time, last, best, avg. etc... Basically something to use not just for HFAY but for car tuning, self-competition, etc...

I think it will be cool. :)

cdog4w
2008.08.26, 11:37 AM
Awesome idea. Wiimote is getting used for more and more things. I've been considering picking one up to tinker with, but haven't gotten to it yet.

arch2b
2008.08.26, 08:09 PM
contact chuckyluv, he's in georgia and hughe into mini-z tinkering.

regardless, i'm very interested in seeing this play out.

erixxst
2008.09.10, 01:34 PM
a friend of mine made a similar system with the wii remote and it works great

i have no recent details but last time i saw him he was working to make it work with multiple cars

im gonna call him tonight and ask him questions on is experiments

give you more news

erixxst
2008.09.10, 06:59 PM
Is this possible for you to explain me your system in detail
so it can help to improve my friend s one i have nt speak to him yet

i really like to build one of my own so you help is welcome

Ergebel
2008.09.28, 05:10 AM
hi,

the MzLC software can be used with wiimote. It can detect at least 4 miniz in good conditions.

the english version of the web site is not complete, but look for screenshots and videos in french version.

http://mzlc.c.la

russp
2008.10.08, 10:31 PM
hi,

the MzLC software can be used with wiimote. It can detect at least 4 miniz in good conditions.

the english version of the web site is not complete, but look for screenshots and videos in french version.

http://mzlc.c.la

Just starting to get back to this. I still plan on finishing mine, just work became way busier lately. In any case, the reason it's only for 1 car is that the Wiimote can only detect 4 dots (ie: 4 IR reflections at a time) and hence if you ever had, say 3 cars come into view of the wiimote at a time (likely since you need more than a foot of viewing distance to accurately time) then there would be no way to distinguish uniquely the cars using only 4 dots (think about it). The only possible exception would be if it could distinguish the size of the dot in addition to it's location but I don't think it can. You could/should be able to track 2 cars however.

If you want more detail on this look up the Johhny Chung Wiimote videos on the web.

bemoore
2008.10.09, 10:27 AM
I guess I have to get a Wii now. Man, this seems like a lot of work just to get me to buy a Wii. If you really wanted me to get one that bad, you should have said so.*

*I recently bought a PS2 after asking Russ about gaming consoles. Russ recommended a Wii, but I cheaped out and got the PS2.

Ergebel
2008.10.10, 08:33 AM
You are right the wiimote could detect 16 differents size of dots. But the problem is that it is not very efficient. So you can configure the soft to assign sizes to a car number (size 0..3 = number 1, size 4..7 = number 2, etc ). this depend a lot from your installation.

If there is more then 2 points at one time the wiimote take randomly 2 points, but at each frame this points are differents. So 3 different size points could be detect in 2 frames.

This is not a perfect lap counter system, it s just for fun with 1 or 2 friends in your garage (for 0$) .