PDA

View Full Version : RACERS and TIRES

lfisminiz
2008.09.06, 04:39 PM
All you guys that race regularly...........Since we normally race in one direction...like clockwise as an example, What do you do about tire swapping since the outer tires will wear quicker than the inside tires. Im talking road course. One side always wears faster than the other.
Do you...........

1. leave alone till you need new tires all around.
2. switch tires from one side to other side, after each heat.
3. switch tires after one race night.
4. if you do switch tires....what about tread pattern.
5 other.......
Thought it would make for a good topic.:)

Flashsp-2
2008.09.06, 10:14 PM
If I am using radials I will switch when the tread is almost gone on one side (especially on directional radials like Kyosho). With slicks and non-directional radials I just swap them whenever I notice that on side is a little more worn that the other. Reversing the tread pattern seems to have no significant difference on handling, for me at least.

lfisminiz
2008.09.06, 10:25 PM
I dont notice any difference in the way the tread pattern goes either. When i start out with a new set of tires, i do put them on with the tread the right way....to start atleast.

EMU
2008.09.07, 04:10 AM
I think that the difference is only really noticeable when the tread pattern is new, if noticable at all.

I will leave alone until I notice a significant difference. Usually noticed most on the rear outside tire (rear left if going clockwise, rear right if going counter-clockwise). I will then switch the wheels from side to side. If I were only switching the tire, I would do it a little more often probably every race night I would swap them. But when glueing them down, I dont swap them as much. I also will run the tires down a lot. Radials become slicks... and as long as they have grip they stay on.

I like to use the larger Atomic or PN wheels in the rear. So when they start to get more worn, I lower the differential to keep enough ride height (if the motormount supports it) or add a preload spacer or two to the top shock to prevent the rear from sagging as much and raise the ride height that way.

With front tires, if I usually only run slicks. So it is harder to notice when one is more worn than the other. If I notice one larger than the other, I will swap them side to side. I for one, like my front tires worn. The thinner they get the more responsive the steering is.

lugnutz
2008.09.07, 02:11 PM
i'm old school and rotate the tires every run,just by habbit with running larger cars

lfisminiz
2008.09.07, 08:43 PM
lugnutz - since you swap every race...what about the radial tire and the tread pattern?

Bye the way, see you at the Pn regional this comminig weekend.;)

mikez
2008.09.07, 09:40 PM
i useally do it when i get a whenever i get a chance or notice my cars acting funny

hrdrvr
2008.09.08, 11:27 AM
Ive been running radial (or SSG) rears and slick fronts for quite some time on my MR02s. I run slicks all around on the AWDs. I try and run the track in the opposite direction of regular running to get practice, and to even out wear a bit. I actually run almost anytime Im alone in reverse direction. I still dont get as much alone time as I do racing time, so I try and rotate them fairly often. I wont say I do it every race night, but almost.

I have noticed if I forget to rotate, they will get very uneven, and once they do handling is sporadic at best, even if I rotate them at that point. Usually, if I get to this point they are swapped for new ones and trashed or kept for loaner tires. I like to loan out un-even sets to guests to make sure they cant keep up :D

BTW, see you at the PN regional this weekend :D

lfisminiz
2008.09.08, 04:05 PM
Sound like i need to do more swapping of tires.:)

hrdrvr - see you soon.;)

yasuji
2008.09.08, 04:37 PM
when i practice i rotate my fronts every other pack of batteries i leave the rears alone due to my driving style....they wear evenly;)
when club racing i rotate fronts for each heat/race and i use new rears for the main
in big races regionals or worlds i do new sets for each race:D

Tjay
2008.09.08, 04:52 PM
1. leave alone till you need new tires all around.
2. switch tires from one side to other side, after each heat.
3. switch tires after one race night.
4. if you do switch tires....what about tread pattern.
5 other.......

Applies on both slicks and radials.

Practice tires:
I rotate them to save $ on tires.

Race tires (club racing):
I keep them as it is. Never rotate them during race but after the race, I use these tires for practice.

Race tires (big events):
I have 3 sets of broken-in tires used for 1st, 2nd and 3rd qual. Which ever one feels good and has better times on the sheet, that's the one I use for A-main but I DO NOT rotate tires during races. That's suicide. :)

Hope this helps.

lugnutz
2008.09.08, 06:18 PM
for weekly racing i rotate 1st and 2nd qualifier including radials,but never before the main or for the main,big races well the pn race will be my first,but when i ran TC it was every run in a big race

z3zinho
2008.09.08, 09:10 PM
I do exactly as Tjay does... :)

yasuji
2008.09.08, 09:23 PM
I DO NOT rotate tires during races. That's suicide. :)

Hope this helps.

hmmmmmm....i dont know about that....lol
i can tell the difference in my car if the outside front wheel is getting to be smaller than the other it also reflects in the lap times.....
everything makes a difference esp. an out of balance front end
:)

lfisminiz
2008.09.08, 10:30 PM
Grant....whats your driving style that doesnt effect the rear tires?:D

See you this weekend.

yasuji
2008.09.08, 10:57 PM
Grant....whats your driving style that doesnt effect the rear tires?:D

See you this weekend.

rear steering!!!!!!!!!!!;)

mleemor60
2008.09.09, 07:16 AM
If we ever come up with Outlaw sprint car mini-Z's Yasuji will be at the top of the list for rear steering. I've seen him in action.

eztuner12
2008.09.13, 09:45 PM
Rear steering:confused:
More info please.
Thx
Cheers

lugnutz
2008.09.15, 05:47 PM
yasuji i got the pleasure to see that rear steer in action :cool: you did great,thanks again for the great time

lfisminiz
2008.09.15, 07:51 PM
Well at the Pn race this weekend i did rotate my front slicks. I left the rears alone. The wear was pretty even on the rears.

lugnutz
2008.09.17, 09:23 PM
i rotated my tires in the first two heats and in the third i put on a new set of tires and left them along for the main

yasuji
2008.09.17, 09:40 PM
yasuji i got the pleasure to see that rear steer in action :cool: you did great,thanks again for the great time

thanks i had an awesome time showing it
:D
i did some thing a little different this time.
in practice i rotated fronts every battery pack but i had to install new rear tires every 2 battery packs
pn 6s are awesome tires but with how hard i was pushing they would start to go off in a hurry
in the race i ran , as usual ,new fronts and rears for every heat and main;)

eztuner12
2008.09.17, 10:17 PM
Hi yasuji
Can you please tell about "Rear Steering" :confused:
Thx
Cheers

yasuji
2008.09.17, 11:43 PM
Hi yasuji
Can you please tell about "Rear Steering" :confused:
Thx
Cheers

it is a unusual style i guess....not always the fastest or smoothest ,but a style that works well for me;)
"back it in" on the brakes to initiate turn in
then back to full throttle to "spin up" the rear to finish the corner
thus ....."rear steer"

EMU
2008.09.18, 12:20 AM
I used to drive rear steer all the time when I started racing. I had been told that its not a good driving style by many of the top drivers that I was racing with when I started (Willy Wong, Roland Shao, Alan Mok...) Now I have been trained to be a 'smoother' driver. I used to use the highest torque motors available. I loved the Atomic Stock for a long time, and was allways told that they were no good. Too much power. Now I like the smoother motors, like the PN 70t that carry more speed in the corners. Instead of rotate and shoot out of the corner. It is hard to rear steer with the 70t motor.

At the Atomic regional, I used rear steer for most of the race. I must have used hard brakes on almost every corner, trail braking on turn in. I was practically drifting sideways at the end of the main straight in modified class. It is the most fun way to drive, but consistancy suffers.

The layout was MUCH tighter at the Atomic race, and wasnt as high speed and flowing. You go through rear tires MUCH faster, I had to change them in every run. I try to conserve my tires more, and change them every 2-3 race days. But if the layout is tight, I drive much more aggressively. I didnt change my rear tires for stock or modified once at the PN regional, and had no loss of grip (except at the start of the stock race until the tires got up to temperature). At the PN regional, I only used brake on 2 or 3 corners. I think I race a bit better on tight tracks than large flowing tracks, where I can use more brake.

It was nice to see Grant's rear steer in action. It worked very well for him, although I didnt feel that the layout would have been good for me to drive that style. I probably would have been in the B mains if I tried it there.

I only rotated my front wheels on my modified car once (after 2nd qualifier). Rears wore pretty even. In stock, I didnt rotate at all. I switched tires on the second day to a worn in set of 20d Kyosho that were discarded from a fast kid that I race with at Action (Johnathan). He said they were no good, so I put them in my pit box. I put the more worn one on the front right, so I didnt need to rotate between runs. I like my front tires thin.

Flashsp-2
2008.09.18, 12:22 AM
it is a unusual style i guess....not always the fastest or smoothest ,but a style that works well for me;)
thus ....."rear steer"

Somebody has a motorcycle racing background :D

Tjay
2008.09.18, 12:49 AM
I used to drive rear steer all the time when I started racing. I had been told that its not a good driving style by many of the top drivers that I was racing with when I started (Willy Wong, Roland Shao, Alan Mok...) Now I have been trained to be a 'smoother' driver. I used to use the highest torque motors available. I loved the Atomic Stock for a long time, and was allways told that they were no good. Too much power. Now I like the smoother motors, like the PN 70t that carry more speed in the corners. Instead of rotate and shoot out of the corner. It is hard to rear steer with the 70t motor.

word......

color01
2008.09.18, 03:26 AM
Somebody has a motorcycle racing background :D
Word..... :p

eztuner12
2008.09.18, 08:54 AM
thus ....."rear steer"

Thx for the input yasuji.
So that’s rear steering! It is the normal way of driving on AWD chassis; practically full throttle at turns right after a tip sec hard brake into the turn.
I thought it was a rear steering system, as the monster trucks have.
Again thx.;)
Cheers

Cherub1m
2008.09.18, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone

So that's rear steering. I was thinking this was some new steering system like eztuner12.

I have to say every driver has there own personality and this dictates how they drive. This may sound funny, but every corner at a track has its own personality (and no I don't talk to the corners, however I look at them :D), some corners want you to enter, apex, and exit them a certain way. So I find myself rolling around some corners and rear steering around some. For the most part I prefer to roll because it the most consistent and your not at the brink of losing control.

lugnutz
2008.09.21, 08:22 PM
i drive with rear steer only when i need to but it doesn't look as smooth as yasuji:cool:

atallfunguy
2008.12.29, 03:33 PM

Practice tires:

I keep them as it is. Never rotate them during race but after the race, I use these tires for practice.

Race tires (big events):
I have 3 sets of broken-in tires used for 1st, 2nd and 3rd qual. Which ever one feels good and has better times on the sheet, that's the one I use for A-main but I DO NOT rotate tires during races. That's suicide. :)

Hope this helps.

I agree with TJ on this one.. I used to rotate between heats and mains, but it made my car steer to the left or right on the straights and feel different.

eztuner12
2008.12.29, 04:14 PM

Practice tires:

Race tires (big events):

Hope this helps.

As TJ says, is the right way to go. One tip; It is good to mark the tires F/L, F/R, R/L R/R in order to prevent any confusion at the time you will install them to your car.;)
Cheers