PDA

View Full Version : Why not F1 Mod Class?

Cherub1m
2008.09.07, 10:12 AM
I've noticed every big race runs F-1 with stock motors. It's a bigger and heavier 1/24 scale miniz. Why not use modified motors. It can handle the power better then any other miniz, I think even the MA-010, and with the right front bumper you can have a peace of mind when you hit the RCP. Lets give the F-1 it's well deserved ponies. :D

Suprageex
2008.09.07, 11:55 AM
Probably because the F1's are already really good...

Cherub1m
2008.09.07, 02:25 PM
Probably because the F1's are already really good...

Hi Suprageex

I agree, they are already really good. However, that is no reason for suppressing/oppressing:D the chassis.

color01
2008.09.07, 03:27 PM
If you hit the front wheels of an F1 at full Mod speed, the entire front end is toast... :eek:

Cherub1m
2008.09.07, 03:48 PM
If you hit the front wheels of an F1 at full Mod speed, the entire front end is toast... :eek:

Not if you use a bumper that protects the front wheels. I used a lexan bumper at the East coast Atomic race and it worked like a charm and it was legal. I recently modified it, its smaller and lighter and it works great. You can graze the rcp wall and still head straight. Also, for F1 some of the essential mods are alum. knukles and alum. toe bars.

I've hit the wall pretty hard with my current set up and the car is still running great. Now the truth is we should not hit the wall :D.

mikez
2008.09.07, 09:43 PM
i wish they ran them mod because i cant get mine to run well stock:p

Z_408
2008.10.28, 06:55 PM
I think one of the reasons they run F1 stock is so that people can actually see the cars. They look very real, so if you go mod you can't see the scale of the car.

CristianTabush
2008.10.29, 01:10 PM
The F1's handle power well, but in no way better than an AWD or an MR-02. They come close, but not equal. I don't care if you have a super F1, it just will not take the power as well. :) As for the reason I think it is the speed. The F1's require a different driving skill since they are open wheeled. You put a mod motor and controlling it becomes harder and the driving can get very rough in between guys. Flipping and snapped parts are a result of the tires grazing walls (rubber on foam = lots of friction) and overall they are just harder to control in mod for the average guy. I think stock, since it is now slower than mod (unlike before when it was just ever so slightly and people ended up running faster in stock) is going to be more popular across the board. It is cheaper, easier to drive and leads to closer racing. Just look at the sign ups for the PNWC...

Cherub1m
2008.10.30, 04:22 PM
The F1's handle power well, but in no way better than an AWD or an MR-02. They come close, but not equal. I don't care if you have a super F1, it just will not take the power as well. :) As for the reason I think it is the speed. The F1's require a different driving skill since they are open wheeled. You put a mod motor and controlling it becomes harder and the driving can get very rough in between guys. Flipping and snapped parts are a result of the tires grazing walls (rubber on foam = lots of friction) and overall they are just harder to control in mod for the average guy. I think stock, since it is now slower than mod (unlike before when it was just ever so slightly and people ended up running faster in stock) is going to be more popular across the board. It is cheaper, easier to drive and leads to closer racing. Just look at the sign ups for the PNWC...

Yeah your right about the AWD they handle the power much better:D. And I agree the F1 is more difficult to control during a race, but thats because of the drivers fear of touching the wall or touching another drivers car and they break more with modified motors. But handling the power, the F1 is better then the MR02. Driving the F1 alone on the track is so much easier and stable then driving the MR02 alone on the same track. It maybe driving style:cool:

Can you guys at reflex make an aftermarket front and rear wings for the F1 that have a little more flex, the stock ones are to brittle:(

CristianTabush
2008.10.30, 04:32 PM
Great ide for a product idea, but anything that is molded takes way too much cash to justify. Maybe something in Lexan would be nice... We are about to start toying with some lexan parts for autoscales... :)

Cherub1m
2008.10.30, 05:28 PM
Great ide for a product idea, but anything that is molded takes way too much cash to justify. Maybe something in Lexan would be nice... We are about to start toying with some lexan parts for autoscales... :)

Great!!! I've been replacing my broken autoscale wings with home made lexan wings. They work great and lightens the car a bit. Ill be looking for them:D.