PDA

View Full Version : MR-015 to fit FXX

stradlegroove
2008.09.10, 06:19 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm Chris from Melbourne, Australia. This is my first thread in this forum since I'm so new in this hobby. I just knew about this hobby about 2 months ago while coincidentally watching this awesome little RC on youtube. Well, it surprised me that this RC was so long exist in RC world but it's still going around until now hehe.. I love cars and particularly 1/24 car model kit. Now, I've got a new hobby! It's Mini-Z. I've never played RC car before so I'm so newbie in this area. That's why I joined this forum to gain more knowledge about Mini-Z. Well, it seems I would trouble you guys with bunch of questions :D Thanks for any helps in advance!

Ok, I've got with me MR-015 RTR set of Initial D (Ryosuke) since I love the movie so much. Also, I have some bodies such as F430, Audi TT, Batmobile, MR-s, and Peugeot 206. They just sit on my self as collection. Now, I'm interested to purchase Ferrari FXX and run it on my MR-015 chasis. Is it possible? Is the size of FXX body the same with Ferrari Enzo? If it is, does it mean I just need to convert the current motor case with MZ204 (MM), the rear spring with MZW202, and the Tie-Rod & shock stay set with MZ153? Is it difficult to do that?

Well, or is it better if I get the MR-02 RTR set?

Sorry for asking too much :p

Thanks heaps!

Chris

flat 4
2008.09.10, 06:39 PM
the FXX will fit your mr15. All you will need is the MM case. I sure some more people will tell you great detail, but pretty much all you need is the MM case.

good luck have fun

herman
2008.09.10, 10:01 PM
welcome to the forums stradlegroove!!!

the enzo fxx was built to go onto the mr02 chassis...

but it will fit the mr015 chassis as fla 4 mentions... with a couple of modifications...

- use the mm motor mount configuration
- you will need to purchase the pn tower bar for the mr02.

the front track width of the mr015 is narrower than the mr02, so you will need this part to widen the trackwidth of your mr015 chassis so you can use mr02 bodies, see pics below (you will also have to purchase the tie rod for the mr02 if you choose to use the mr02 tower bar)...

you might want to purchase the tower bar for the mr015 too, just in case you want to go back running mr015 bodies

mr02 tower bar (on a mr02 chassis)
http://www.pnracing.us/new/news_image/20070201-000814-2.jpg?r=71

mr015 tower bar (on a mr02 chassis - this will enable a mr02 chassis to run mr015 bodies - kinda the oposite of what you're looking for)
http://www.pnracing.us/new/news_image/20070201-000814-3.jpg?r=41
see this link for more detals
http://www.pnracing.us/new/news.php?show=more&news_id=80

- a cheaper solution would probably be running a front rim with the proper offset
(sorry don't know what front offset you would use on a mr015 for a enzo fxx body) see pics below...

http://www.pnracing.us/new/news_image/20080829-134757-1.jpg?r=36

if you don't run the proper offset, the wheel might look like it's way into the wheel well/fender... which actually isn't a bad thing since it further protects the front wheels from being banged up (if you plan to race)...

or ultimately you can get the mr02 and see how it runs compared to the mr015...

if you plan to race, most guys prefer running the mr02 because of the battery configuration... laid down side by side (this provides for a lower center of gravity) compared to the mr015 which puts one battery on top of the other...

good luck and hope this helps... :D

oh and enjoy reading the forums... :D

herman
2008.09.10, 10:11 PM
hmm... incidentally i might be going to melbourne late in the year... what's to do and see? also what's the mini-z scene there like? any tracks around?

stradlegroove
2008.09.11, 02:56 AM
the FXX will fit your mr15. All you will need is the MM case. I sure some more people will tell you great detail, but pretty much all you need is the MM case.

good luck have fun

Thanks so much!

stradlegroove
2008.09.11, 03:18 AM
welcome to the forums stradlegroove!!!

the enzo fxx was built to go onto the mr02 chassis...

but it will fit the mr015 chassis as fla 4 mentions... with a couple of modifications...

- use the mm motor mount configuration
- you will need to purchase the pn tower bar for the mr02.

the front track width of the mr015 is narrower than the mr02, so you will need this part to widen the trackwidth of your mr015 chassis so you can use mr02 bodies, see pics below (you will also have to purchase the tie rod for the mr02 if you choose to use the mr02 tower bar)...

you might want to purchase the tower bar for the mr015 too, just in case you want to go back running mr015 bodies

mr02 tower bar (on a mr02 chassis)
http://www.pnracing.us/new/news_image/20070201-000814-2.jpg?r=71

mr015 tower bar (on a mr02 chassis - this will enable a mr02 chassis to run mr015 bodies - kinda the oposite of what you're looking for)
http://www.pnracing.us/new/news_image/20070201-000814-3.jpg?r=41
see this link for more detals
http://www.pnracing.us/new/news.php?show=more&news_id=80

- a cheaper solution would probably be running a front rim with the proper offset
(sorry don't know what front offset you would use on a mr015 for a enzo fxx body) see pics below...

http://www.pnracing.us/new/news_image/20080829-134757-1.jpg?r=36

if you don't run the proper offset, the wheel might look like it's way into the wheel well/fender... which actually isn't a bad thing since it further protects the front wheels from being banged up (if you plan to race)...

or ultimately you can get the mr02 and see how it runs compared to the mr015...

if you plan to race, most guys prefer running the mr02 because of the battery configuration... laid down side by side (this provides for a lower center of gravity) compared to the mr015 which puts one battery on top of the other...

good luck and hope this helps... :D

oh and enjoy reading the forums... :D

Hey, Herman, thanks a lot for ur explanation in such details.. Hm.. It made me to think twice about modifying my MR-15 because it's quite troublesome to change this and that for the shake of running the FXX. Also, I'm not sure of racing it in competition or else. Just running it at home for fun would be fine for me atm :D But anyway thanks so much for ur 'lecture' :p

Well, I've got no idea about tracks in Melbourne.. I haven't found any of them recently. I'm super fresh in this hobby haha.. I've got no mates in this hobby too so it's kinda difficult for me to learn. Sorry can't really help. I'll let you know when I could find them.

Btw, do you know the spec of MR-S' body? Is it MM too?

EMU
2008.09.11, 03:33 AM
Herman, the MR015 and MR02 do not have the same screw positions for the top tower (MR015 are narrower). I have emailed PN to see if he would produce them for the MR015, but he is not interested in doing so at this time. Either you would have to modify the chassis, or the towers for them to work on the MR015. I have been interested in these towers for some time now.

marc
2008.09.14, 09:48 AM
Hi there, if your talking about Melbourne Florida, there is a great Hobby Town USA there that has a great selection of Mini-Z's and I beleive they race every Thuresday. At least this is what I found when visiting my brother in Orlando. The Melbourne Florida Hobby Town USA is the nicest Hobby Town's I've ever seen with a large collection of RC car's and they have the Mini-Z ready sets, AutoScales, and hop-up parts from Kyosho. Take a look next time your in M.F.

herman
2008.09.14, 10:11 PM
stradlegroove...

opps... sorry my reply came out to be interpreted as a "lecture"... hahaha...
it seems that i stand to be corrected...

from the pics, and the explanation given by emu...
i guess it would seem that the only option for you to run the enzo fxx on the mr015 chassis is to run it with optional rims...

welcome again to the forums... :D

herman
2008.09.14, 10:28 PM
Herman, the MR015 and MR02 do not have the same screw positions for the top tower (MR015 are narrower).

sheesh that's totally correct... i just assumed that they had a version for the mr015 chassis... wish they'd come out with a mr015 version...

EMU
2008.09.16, 12:58 AM
Not trying to poke at you Herman, I think the FXX run GREAT on an 015 with a Wide track front end (MR02 width). I am going to try to see if I can get a few of those towers custom made for me and some buddies.

herman
2008.09.16, 05:29 AM
Not trying to poke at you Herman, I think the FXX run GREAT on an 015 with a Wide track front end (MR02 width). I am going to try to see if I can get a few of those towers custom made for me and some buddies.

it's cool emu... don't sweat it... just glad you pointed it out before stradlegroove or anybody else engaged in unesessary spending... :D

it would be totally uncool to give out misleading advice...

and i think the wide mr02 towerbar for the mr015 is a good idea...
but in the mean time i guess you can run some wide rims with some offset up front to fill in the gap between the fender and tire... :D

marc
2008.10.08, 10:18 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the mounting points for that front tower different on the MR15 as it is the MR02? Isn't the space between holes wider on MR02? If so, then how can he simply swap out MR15 tower bar for MR02 tower bar? I'm curious because I know that in the rear, the shock mount is different size, MR15's shock mount is narrower than MR02's.

EMU
2008.10.09, 02:49 PM
Shock mount for the MR015 is identical to the MR02. (2 posts on the chassis for shocks to screw onto) I use MR02 suspension parts all the time. The stock shock has some extention pieces to work with the longer van wheelbases.

MR02 towers on an MR015.
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3853/new015pn02zh4.jpg

The front holes on the 02 pcb cover are about 4mm further apart than the 015. I am having some MR02 width towers for the MR015 made. There will be an anouncement when they are available. Should be a few weeks at least.

paul_england
2008.10.10, 11:09 AM
hey i just bought a FXX autoscale and the offset for the wheels is N+1 front and W+3 rear, there is a blue fxx coming out soon that's really nice so id wait for that if i was you, i would have if i would have known.