PDA

View Full Version : Mr01 2.4?

marc
2008.09.11, 03:09 PM
Does anybody know, LBRC, if the MR01 can be converted to 2.4? I know it's got a different gear box for the steering than the MR15, but can it be done? I've got two perfectly good MR01's, well, except for my rediculously slow Altezza, that could use some 2.4 love.
I know we have the better MR15, but the MR01 is still a great chassis and why get more MR15's if you already have two readily available MR01's? So question, can the MR01 be converted to 2.4? Can it be done easily? What modifications would be required to do so?

Tjay
2008.09.11, 03:16 PM
put your 01 to retirement.

marc
2008.09.11, 04:07 PM
Geee, thank's :rolleyes:
No, the point is to continue it's life by not having to replace it with the MR15.

flat 4
2008.09.11, 04:14 PM
not too far off topic, I remember putting a mr01 board in a mr02 chasis. fun fast car burnt it up via bad motor. That was about three years ago I think?

marc
2008.09.11, 04:19 PM
So is the motor for the steering mechanism the same on both cars? I think that is the main question here. I dont' want to have to do some soldering work here. I dont' mind mechanical work, but if the steering motor from the MR01 fit's the MR02, I would tend to think the 2.4 board should work in MR01. What did you have to do to your MR01 board to work with the MR02 flat4?

HammerZ
2008.09.11, 10:58 PM
I like the idea, it smacks of a Dr. Frankenstein creation. "Come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab!!! mwhaa haa waa." Take an old body and transplant a new brain into it. I thought myself to try this, but you have more knowlage with ASF 2.4 systems than I do. Does that 2.4 have servo reverse? That can make to go smoother without soldering. I am sure soldering will come into play at some point here anyway. I do know for a fact that the MR01 servo operates backward from the MR015 or MR02 (the servo saver is what reverses the movement, the MR01 without that right turns left and left turns right). This has peaked my interest for sure.

I have a complete MR01 chassis that needs all the electrics. Right now it is a fancy ASC chassis mounted in a case. Only if I had the spare cash to plunk down on an ASF system for it. It is basicly a collection of parts.

marc
2008.09.12, 10:17 AM
That is my current problem right now. Having the cash to purchase a 2.4 board. I've got a beautiful MR01 chassis that I posted some where in this forum and it's got all the Kyosho upgrades and that mint condition white Altezza. Only problem is, the MR01 is as slow as a snail. Not sure if it's electronics, bad motor, bad differential causing drag, or what the issue is.
I do know how much better the MR15 chassis is, so the question is, which will be cheaper, getting a 2.4 board, or the 2.4 MR15. "Still want 2.4 MR15 for Porsche 934 project."
I didn't realize the servo was reversed from MR01 to MR02-15, that would be interesting to play with.

flat 4
2008.09.12, 06:33 PM
So is the motor for the steering mechanism the same on both cars? I think that is the main question here. I dont' want to have to do some soldering work here. I dont' mind mechanical work, but if the steering motor from the MR01 fit's the MR02, I would tend to think the 2.4 board should work in MR01. What did you have to do to your MR01 board to work with the MR02 flat4?

I dont really remember alot about it. A friend of mine Kyle, when you race with him your pretty much raceing for second place. Back on topic. He had a 02 sitting around. We use the 02 steering servo and an 01 board with out the steering box. I belive you have to solder the wires backwards....yes backwards. I hope this helps.

mk2kompressor
2008.09.12, 07:38 PM
marc,
the servo pot and motor wires will need extending on the 2.4 board(you can use the original 01 wires and just add one more for the 2.4 pot)
it would be the same servo wiring as ruf's 2.4 conversion guide for the f1

marc
2008.09.12, 08:58 PM
Thank's mk2. It is more than likely I won't be doing this because of the newer 2.4 MR15. I just thought it would be nice to keep useing the old relec, but modernize it. Fortunetly, the MR15 was designed so we can use our older style bodies.

marc
2008.09.19, 04:25 PM
Well, it's official. My MR01's original board appears completly dead. I've rebuilt it, checked all the connections, freshly charged batteries, matching crystals, and NOTHING! The steering glitches once, and that's it. No more movement. No steering, no throttle, completely dead. I think it's prime for 2.4 conversion. I know I can get an MR15 to race my Altezza, but I'd rather keep the MR01 for nastalgic purposes, but nastalgic doesn't necessarily mean I have to keep the stock board does it :)
So, as soon as budget allows, or if I manage to sell my Iwaver's, I plan on getting a 2.4 board for this MR01 chassis.

imxlr8ed
2008.09.20, 12:28 AM
Sounds like a crystal issue with the single glitch... might want to try a completely different set (and maybe a different radio). Also... check your power connections at the back of the chassis, might want to scrape them shiny and re-install. A cold connection on the fets forward feet could also cause the glitch/then instantly dead scenario too... might still be salvageable.

gomez
2008.11.08, 01:22 PM
any more information about 2.4 on mr-01 would be great , as i have one too , and would like to upgrade to 2.4 . let me know if you did it , marc

marc
2008.11.08, 01:30 PM
Hi there, no have not done it yet. I sold the MR01 I was going to do it to, but I do have another MR01 that my Ferrari 355 is on. I might convert that some day. Don't expect anything soon on this mod though as I'm more likely going to concentrate on my MR15 which already is 2.4.