PDA

View Full Version : Chrome-Plated Bodies / Core Lap Counter

ActionRC
2008.09.15, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know any tricks to getting the chrome-plated G-Zox bodies to work with the Core system? I have tried covering under the body with electrical tape, but this doesn't work. It works if the card is mounted under the chassis, but this screws up the cards and the performance of the car. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Al
Owner
Action RC Mini Speedway
Web: www.actionRCspeedway.comEmail: info@actionRCspeedway.com

briankstan
2008.09.15, 03:10 PM
I've tried but haven't had any luck getting it to work, in fact I could even get it to read with the tag on the bottom. one of our races really wanted to use the Gzox 350z, but we just couldn't get it to work. :(

ActionRC
2008.09.15, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Brian. Kyosho suggested using laquer thinner to remove the plating on the bottom of the body. While this may work, I am afraid to ruin the top of the body when it runs out though the windows. I was hoping there was some kind of spray that might cover it up - maybe like Rhino Lining that you see on infomercials. Any else have any ideas?

Al
Action RC Mini Speedway, New York

lfisminiz
2008.09.15, 06:56 PM
Al, if you can put it on bottom of chassis....would thin clear tape on transponder work? It would protect the transponder from the track.

imxlr8ed
2008.09.16, 07:30 AM
I don't think it's the fact that the signal doesn't get to the Core, I think it has something to do with the incoming "energy" to make the transponder work. Once shielded by the body, it seems to have no power to create a strong enough signal. Not exactly sure how resonance works myself though.

ActionRC
2008.09.16, 02:52 PM
I sent an email to my Core rep to see if he has any ideas. I'm just waiting for him to get back to me. Kyosho also suggested EZ-Off oven cleaner, which I have used in my bicycle experience to remove anodized finishes from steel and aluminum components.

If we run the card on the bottom of the chassis, it sits too low, and hits the track - especially when running fast corners. Plus, it could hit the front wheels if it's mounted too far forward. If you put it back, it could hit the rear plate. Running it under the hood of the body is definitely the best choice.

I'll keep poking around for ideas, and if Core gives me any new info, I'll post it here. Thanks, everyone! Can't wait to go racing tonight!!! My LM is now officially awesome!!!

Al
Action RC Mini Speedway
www.actionRCspeedway.com

Marianitem
2008.09.22, 10:56 PM
IŽve tried placing the card without a chassis and place the chrome body over it. DidnŽt work. Also placed the card over the body, no chassis... nothing. If you tape it hanging from the back it works, so the problem seems to be only with vertical placing (core/card/body or core/body/card).
I taped this big transponder under a F1 and didnŽt have any track surface problem. Now we found some very small transponders. IŽll try to tape it under a mr-02 and see if i get it to read. It would be a vertical placement, but maybe having the chassis between card and body helps. IŽll post results next week.

ActionRC, did you try the oven cleaner? What happened with the exterior finish?

If you finaly decide to rip off a chrome finish, how would you do it? Would the body then work with the Core, or would still have the reading problem?

mleemor60
2008.09.23, 07:08 AM
If you don't mind saying, what was the source for the very small transponder's that you mentioned.

Draconious
2008.09.23, 08:28 AM
I dont think removing the chrome on the inside of the body is enough, there is still chrome on the outside... it will see through the plastic and bounce off of the chrome... or do whatever it does that causes it to not work. But, maybe there being LESS of it might be enough...