PDA

View Full Version : Atomic world cup finals 2007-2008

Tjay
2008.09.19, 03:34 AM
Atomic cups are titles as well as PN cups. Sadly noone really care much about atomic cups. Perhaps is because of their bad customer service. :(

Anyhow, I just want to open this thread up to give props to our US rep., Jacob F.,Cristian T. and Willy Wong...? For this upcoming world cup which is going to be held in Hong Kong on Sept 19- 21, 2008. I wish I can go with you guys there but unfortunately I only won the Hotelling. :( Anyhow, have fun and have a safe trip! Keep us updated.

herman
2008.09.19, 06:14 AM
yeah and don't forget to post them pics!!!!

ruf
2008.09.19, 07:31 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from Cristian. We'll keep you guys posted as soon as we find out any news.

As for no one caring about the Atomic world cup, I think it's largely due to Atomic's rules and regulations. The more you limit rules by BRAND, the less impressive the title is. Don't get me wrong, there should be very strict and rigid rules for racing, but they should be based on function and competition, not brands and business. On top of that, Atomic has had some public relations issues with their customer service and their own promotion of their races. Cristian is going to have a talk with the heads of Atomic this weekend and see what can be done.

That being said, I still wish I was there! :D Racing is racing, and it's always fun to race with new people and learn about their driving and tuning styles. I got tied up at work and couldn't make it out, so I owe the Reflex crew a night of drinking in Hong Kong sometime soon... :cool:

Tjay
2008.09.19, 07:47 PM
Cool! I too sent out an email to atomic hk in regards to their customer service here in US. Keep us posted. Thanks!

bermbuster
2008.09.19, 08:18 PM
As for no one caring about the Atomic world cup, I think it's largely due to Atomic's rules and regulations. The more you limit rules by BRAND, the less impressive the title is. Don't get me wrong, there should be very strict and rigid rules for racing, but they should be based on function and competition, not brands and business. On top of that, Atomic has had some public relations issues with their customer service and their own promotion of their races. :

Atomic gave free airline tickets to Hong Kong for the finals. Im pretty sure in Asia Atomic parts are the norm. The Atomic race in Hong Kong will have some awesome races with some really fast guys that are unknown to us. To give such a prize has its cost. My friends and fellow racers from NYC are there and I hope they do well...Willy Wong and Bennet Lo
Peter Chan from Canada is there as well...Go Team USA....

EMU
2008.09.19, 08:26 PM
Id like to wish everyone from North America, Willy, Christian, Jacob, Bennet, and Peter luck. I wish I could go, but it is way too expensive. I hope to hear a lot about the competition in Asia. I know they are fast, but how do the fast NA drivers stand?

In Asia there probably are not as many PN parts being used percentage wise. Atomic are cheaper and more available.

imxlr8ed
2008.09.20, 01:20 AM
Give 'em hell guys! Wish I could have went with you!

Low $$$... no fun! :(

SaiTam
2008.09.20, 08:07 AM
Just had a conversation with Willy and found that Jacob is currently the leader in qualifying among NA drivers. Will keep everyone posted with any news.

Tjay
2008.09.20, 08:10 AM
sweet! Thanks for the update!

Cherub1m
2008.09.20, 11:03 AM
Just had a conversation with Willy and found that Jacob is currently the leader in qualifying among NA drivers. Will keep everyone posted with any news.

Great!!!

Thanks Sai

SaiTam
2008.09.21, 01:44 AM
Don't know where you get your information from. Bennett works for airline company he flys for free all the time.

EMU
2008.09.21, 01:58 AM
I thought that Peter was going since he won a free ticket at the NYC regional... Guess there were complications. As Sai said, Bennet did not use Peter's ticket... I think next in line would have been Bill Crotty, if I remember correctly.

ruf
2008.09.21, 02:42 AM
I didn't know this before, but this race is on carpet. Apparently the carpet is pretty new, so the traction is still coming up. Should make for an interesting race! :)

G0DZ1LL4
2008.09.21, 12:42 PM
I didn't know this before, but this race is on carpet. Apparently the carpet is pretty new, so the traction is still coming up. Should make for an interesting race! :)

Yup carpet !!!

2 of my friends are running at ATOMIC final for FRANCE ...

Results of qualify .... :rolleyes:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1191/imgp2402redimensionnersr1.jpg

ruf
2008.09.21, 01:39 PM
Here is a picture of the carpet ... All drivers are saying that it slides a lot ... DRIFT MODE for everybody ; (Thanks for the pics! Yah, I heard the traction was really bad... We don't have much carpet experience over here and we are spoiled by RCP traction! :) But there should be some great learning lessons from this race!

bermbuster
2008.09.21, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the pics! Yah, I heard the traction was really bad... We don't have much carpet experience over here and we are spoiled by RCP traction! :) But there should be some great learning lessons from this race!

The Chinese racers found traction...Those guys must be really good...
Dang Mr. Set up Cristian Tabush didnt make the A main....
Congrats to Jacob Feinstein on his A main finish....

lugnutz
2008.09.21, 08:46 PM
no they just race on carpet more then we do,congrats to all the guys who did go

Cherub1m
2008.09.21, 11:30 PM
Wow, I was expecting our guys to be in all the A mains. If it was on RCP they would have been in the A main. I don't understand the logic with Atomic races they run all the regional races in USA on RCP, then they run the world on carpet:confused:

Oh well, given that they ran on a surface that they are not accustom to, they did pretty well. Great job guys!!! :)

SaiTam
2008.09.21, 11:42 PM
I think most of the regional events outside of America are on carpet.

herman
2008.09.22, 05:07 AM
wondering what laptimes were like.... and how their experiences with the carpet track were like...

Cherub1m
2008.09.22, 08:39 AM
I think most of the regional events outside of America are on carpet.

RCP only in America for Atomic races :eek:. Ladies and Gents, it was a set up to cloud the eyes of the unsuspecting Americans, lured into running RCP, only to change the medium from the very much coveted RCP into this agonizing CARPET :D:D:D Wow its to early.

wondering what laptimes were like.... and how their experiences with the carpet track were like...

I would like to know the AWD times on the slippery carpet.

G0DZ1LL4
2008.09.22, 09:02 AM
I would like to know the AWD times on the slippery carpet.

ALL A and B class are all AWD .... due to that carpet ... :mad:

MR02 races in C class only .... :( nobody reach B or A with a MR02 ... :(

There were many chages at the last moment for HK final.... (carpet, stock motors allowed ...etc ) :(

G0DZ1LL4
2008.09.22, 09:34 AM
More pics on atomic website !!!

Cherub1m
2008.09.22, 11:07 AM

There were many chages at the last moment for HK final.... (carpet, stock motors allowed ...etc ) :(

Hi GODZ1LL4

Are you saying they mixed MR02 with MA010 in stock and mod class? From the rules at the Atomic site they stated mod class would have all chassis like, MR02, MR015 and MA010 but stock I thought they kept it MRO2/MRO15 with MRO2/MR015 and AWD with AWD.

Also, you know what happened with F1 class?

SaiTam
2008.09.22, 12:38 PM
Atomic has a gallery HERE: PICS (http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=29)

ruf
2008.09.22, 01:54 PM

There were many chages at the last moment for HK final.... (carpet, stock motors allowed ...etc ) :(All of us in the US were under the impression that the Atomic Worlds would be on RCP. It makes NO sense to run the US regionals on RCP and then the world finals on carpet. That's like running asphalt qualifiers and carpet mains. We all wondered about this at the beginning and we asked Atomic for clarification. Their tires really don't work on RCP, and we were excited to try setting up on carpet. However, trying to get communication from Atomic on anything regarding this race (or even on orders) has been nonexistent.

BTW, that sure looks like carpet to me... :rolleyes:
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/news/wp2008/worldcup_atomic_update.jpg

Still, there should be a lot of learning lessons from this race, and I'm sure that Cristian and Jacob will pass them along in another highly anticipated tech article! :)

edit: for content. Just talked to Cristian, and he had a great time at this race. I don't think some of the speculative comments I made earlier were fair, and I'll let Cristian chime in with his first-hand perspective. All-in-all, they had a GREAT time with just a few snafu's.

Tjay
2008.09.22, 02:12 PM
Thanks for posting up the pics!

SaiTam
2008.09.22, 02:23 PM
Only one day has elapsed since the race. Let's give the web administrator more time to post the results.

I give Atomic credits for the amount of time/effort/money for the event. However, what is the real focus of the Atomic cup?

yasuji
2008.09.22, 02:29 PM
Only one day has elapsed since the race. Let's give the web administrator more time to post the results.

I give Atomic credits for the amount of time/effort/money for the event. However, what is the real focus of the Atomic cup?

hehehe.....i kinda like the girls.....lol;)

ruf
2008.09.22, 02:29 PM

I give Atomic credits for the amount of time/effort/money for the event. However, what is the real focus of the Atomic cup?If they have time to post pics, they have time to post results. Or at least a picture of the results sheet... Probably couldn't get the girls in that picture... :D

Yes, I give Atomic a lot of credit for putting up the funds to hold this event. Unfortunately, some issues such as the new carpet caused some racing issues.

edit: for content. Cristian and crew had a great time. It's a different world over there and the racing surface is very different than the RCP that we are used to racing on. Different isn't better or worse, different is just different. I'll let Cristian tell his story first hand when he gets back tomorrow.

ruf
2008.09.22, 02:30 PM
hehehe.....i kinda like the girls.....lol;)I'm telling Kelly... ;)

yasuji
2008.09.22, 02:33 PM
I'm telling Kelly... ;)

kinda like going to a ama sx race......lol:D

ub0211042
2008.09.22, 02:45 PM
just came back from HK today and it was my pleasure to meet all the drivers from USA, Spain and France.

Tjay
2008.09.22, 02:51 PM
just came back from HK today and it was my pleasure to meet all the drivers from USA, Spain and France.

Oh wow! Too bad I wasn't able to go. I'd like to meet most of the peeps here in the forum. Hopefully next year. Maybe they can have the Atomic race in Japan for 2009. I haven't been there. ;)

ub0211042
2008.09.22, 03:00 PM
what i can see is international drivers are more courteous when racing...

bermbuster
2008.09.22, 07:23 PM

The purpose of the Atomic cup is to race toy cars and have fun. From the pics of the event it looks like everyone had fun. Can you get cavities from too much eye candy???:D

ruf
2008.09.22, 07:39 PM
The purpose of the Atomic cup is to race toy cars and have fun. From the pics of the event it looks like everyone had fun. Can you get cavities from too much eye candy???:DAgreed. Just talked to Cristian, and despite issues with the new racing surface and the local track etiquette, they all had a great time and some great races. Lots to learn from our first (unexpected) carpet experience! :D

SaiTam
2008.09.22, 07:39 PM
Not every racer/man is interested in women necessarily. The trophy girls are not for everyone.

(I'm married BTW).

Are Jacob and Christian going to check out RCMMS?

Can you get cavities from too much eye candy???:D

ruf
2008.09.22, 07:42 PM
Not every racer/man is interested in women necessarily. (I'm married BTW).I guess your wife checks the internet. :) I thought you just like men... That's what Willy always told me! :eek::D hahaha! Just kidding!

Anyways, I really wish I was there after talking to Cristian. But if I was, then I wouldn't have been able to score BOTH Williams FW25 bodies from the Kyosho America sale! :p

bermbuster
2008.09.22, 07:53 PM
Not every racer/man is interested in women necessarily. Therefore the trophy girls are not for everyone.

(I'm married BTW).

Im married too (almost 20 years)
I showed wifey the trophy girl pics and she said to me ...
dont you wish you were there....
man I need to practice....:D

When is the next Atomic World Cup????

bermbuster
2008.09.22, 07:56 PM
I really wish I was there after talking to Cristian. But if I was, then I wouldn't have been able to score BOTH Williams FW25 bodies from the Kyosho America sale! :p

Southern California is the place to be....I enjoy it when I go out there for work...Did you score anything else Joe???

SaiTam
2008.09.22, 08:11 PM
She not only checks the Internet but we were commenting on the Atomic girls together. We prefer the JDM Kyosho girl we saw last year at Kyosho shop.

I bet the Atomic girls were all over Jacob!

I'll send suggestions to Atomic to make sure they can satisfy more racers/hobbyists in the future.

I guess your wife checks the internet. :) I thought you just like men... That's what Willy always told me! :eek::D hahaha! Just kidding!

Anyways, I really wish I was there after talking to Cristian. But if I was, then I wouldn't have been able to score BOTH Williams FW25 bodies from the Kyosho America sale! :p

ruf
2008.09.22, 08:13 PM
No, I didn't get anything else, but a lot of new faces (1/10 drivers) got Mini-Z's and have started running at the OCRC track. Be prepared for a big influx of speed... Trying to get everyone up to speed for the LCQ PN regional on Oct 4 and see how many can make it out to Vegas. We're going to have a great finish to 2008, and I think 2009 will see 1/28 scale get some REAL traction... :D

ruf
2008.09.22, 08:14 PM
I'll send suggestions to Atomic to make sure they can satisfy more racers/hobbyists in the future.You mean next year they will have "race kings"? hahahahaha :eek:

yasuji
2008.09.22, 08:42 PM
She not only checks the Internet but we were commenting on the Atomic girls together. We prefer the JDM Kyosho girl we saw last year at Kyosho shop.

I bet the Atomic girls were all over Jacob!

I'll send suggestions to Atomic to make sure they can satisfy more racers/hobbyists in the future.

:eek:nice....:cool:jdm.......;)

bermbuster
2008.09.22, 09:12 PM
No, I didn't get anything else, but a lot of new faces (1/10 drivers) got Mini-Z's and have started running at the OCRC track. Be prepared for a big influx of speed... Trying to get everyone up to speed for the LCQ PN regional on Oct 4 and see how many can make it out to Vegas. We're going to have a great finish to 2008, and I think 2009 will see 1/28 scale get some REAL traction... :D

that is so sweet....we need the scale to grow....we also need some really fast racers to put pressure on Grant...:D That means he will just get faster as well....
I wonder if PN will have trophy girls????

Here are some Jerzey girlz from a Kyosho Race we entered in 2005....hehe

ruf
2008.09.22, 10:03 PM
I'm working on it... Why am I always stuck finding the talent? :rolleyes:

herman
2008.09.22, 10:29 PM
looking forward to reading what the issue was on the track (rcp vs. carpet)...

two tracks that are in h.k. (rcmmc & ct) use carpet... i'm just guessing that this was a major factor???...

also looking forward to the time sheets of the results... :D

ruf
2008.09.22, 10:38 PM
Brand new carpet = no traction. The layout was also quite tight.

Cristian went to RCMMC and was STUNNED by the traction. Like the most traction he's ever experienced. More than any RCP. He said, "now I understand why Atomic makes the products they make." Everything has it's own niche. I also look forward to complete data dump. :)

BENNETT-NY
2008.09.23, 01:06 AM
Hello to everyone,

This is Bennett from NY. I have never speak at Mini-Z racer.com forum but I guess this is the right time. I just want to clear up something posted by canadamta.......
My friend!!! I'm working for one of the major Asian carrier's regional office as a sales and marketing manager. I always travel with free ticket.......Anytime and any carrier! A free economy class ticket may be attractived to someone but not on me. This time, Willy and me flying First Class with Continental Airlines non-stop services to Hong Kong. The way you written in the forum is misleading everyone. I am the organzier for the Atomic US E.Division Regional 08' Race in NY. You just making me look like I'm stealing the ticket from Peter. To be honest, the reason why Atomic asking all winner to get ticket reimburstment upon arrive to Hong Kong is just trying to elimiate Noshow and allow the freedom of choice in carrier. Discount ticket usually has restriction in refund or even no refund value. Next time, think before speak please. I am familiar with James and Peter in Toronto! We have Mini-Z party couple times every year. Our next gathering is in mid Oct in Toronto, your inresponsible accuse will cause me unneccessary explanation and embarrassment when I see Peter again.

** Peter, I hope you see this!

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 02:04 AM
Mr bennett, nice to meet u there...thanks so much for the Lambo!

herman
2008.09.23, 02:40 AM
looks like cristian made the podium!!! congrats!!!
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/images/rsgallery/original/20090921_01_KIT_8149.jpg

went through the atomic galleries... wish they had more car action pictures...

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 02:44 AM
looks like cristian made the podium!!! congrats!!!
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/images/rsgallery/original/20090921_01_KIT_8149.jpg

went through the atomic galleries... wish they had more car action pictures...

yeap he won the 2wd stock class and man he's really good!
Congrats christian!!!!

herman
2008.09.23, 03:49 AM
who are the guys behind atomic? most of us know who's behind pn racing (philip ng)...

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 03:57 AM
from what i know is Mr Alan

Tjay
2008.09.23, 11:21 AM
2wd stock is Cristians class... great job Cristian!

Btw, does any of you guys know the contact for atomic here in US? I know it's Alan Mok (HKS) but he doesn't seem to reply back on my emails. Can anyone help me out? I need to get a hold of any atomic representative.

Thanks!

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 11:35 AM
Try contact with Mr. Menson Yu, menson@rcatomic.com HK

wcrotty
2008.09.23, 11:42 AM
Great job Christian!

I would have gone just for the trophy girls.

But really why wasn't i contacted when peter couldn't go?

yasuji
2008.09.23, 12:52 PM
I would have gone just for the trophy girls.

howzit bill
me too!:D

ruf
2008.09.23, 03:29 PM
Just talked to Cristian. He's a few hours away from home and hoping that he has post-hurricane electricity. His Stock car was jammin, cutting the most consistent fast laps, but getting taken out multiple times in every qualifier doesn't help make the A main... In the end, he was BQ and gave his car to Jacob to run in the A. He ran misbehaving car in the B and won by 2 laps. In Mod, his AWD just wasn't cooperating with the track conditions. He learned a LOT about how the local guys set up AWD on carpet. Hopefully some of it will translate to the RCP that we race on here. More coming soon!

ruf
2008.09.23, 03:35 PM
who are the guys behind atomic? most of us know who's behind pn racing (philip ng)...Alan Mok is the US rep who also runs HKS Hobby which is the US distributor. Mr. Fong is the owner of Atomic, but Menson Yu really runs the day-to-day affairs for Atomic in HK.

Tjay
2008.09.23, 03:42 PM
Getting taken out sucks! I'd rather hit the wall than embarrass myself by hitting the guy who's trying to pass me clean...

also... those HK folks loves to use them SAS kit. ;) works really well on a carpet track...

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 03:51 PM
christian was giving way to all those car which is faster whenever his car is having problem, but one particular car jumped in front of him and he accidentally hit that car and was penalized....
as for my car, i was hit till my chassis broke and no warning were given....just kinda sad these things happens....

SaiTam
2008.09.23, 03:59 PM
Bashing and lack of courtesy often happen in Non-A Main races. How did the A-main drivers behave?

christian was giving way to all those car which is faster whenever his car is having problem, but one particular car jumped in front of him and he accidentally hit that car and was penalized....
as for my car, i was hit till my chassis broke and no warning were given....just kinda sad these things happens....

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 04:07 PM
A main drivers were good as all of them were fast n consistent, but hk driver does drive a bit rough

briankstan
2008.09.23, 04:24 PM
Was that a new track (layout and carpet) ?? It seems to me that it looks like a track that has been there for awhile. wouldn't that lead to an advantage for those that live in the area and have been able to drive on it? Even if new carpet was laid prior to the race, if the layout wasn't new it doesn't quite seem fair.

SaiTam
2008.09.23, 04:46 PM
No event is going to please everybody.

Who else in the world right now has the deep pocket to host an event like this? All expenses paid including airfare/meal/entry fees/free replacement parts/possibly hotel..........etc..... Not even Kyosho or Tamiya would do something like this.

Let's hear from the drivers the good things about the event; then let the nitpicking begins.

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 04:50 PM
nope, the track was built just for the event...i was told by Mr Menson that the layout were never revealed till the practice day....

the track is too narrow and with a lot of tight corners....each mains will run around 10-11cars which explains why there's a lot of hitting and smashing going on.

this race really give huge advantage for HK ppl as they only play on carpet, and atomic is trying to push their product as the parts were built for carpet.

btw, kyosho tires just wont work on their carpet....only atomic AW Groove works so far...

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 04:58 PM

Who else in the world right now has the deep pocket to host an event like this? All expenses paid including airfare/meal/entry fees/free replacement parts/possibly hotel..........etc..... Not even Kyosho or Tamiya would do something like this.

Let's hear from the drivers the good things about the event; then let the nitpicking begins.

im one of the driver for the event and what i can say is the event were great

- good venue (very well lighted, large pit table, lots of electric plug sockets)
- 7 star parts support (literally like an Atomic Parts Buffet coz its unlimited)
- really helpfull reps (but doesn't really good with english but they really tried)

and much more...

yes its true that not all event will please everybody but this ones does pleased me well....it's just that carpet in not our ball game and it is totally new experience.

SaiTam
2008.09.23, 05:00 PM
In Malaysia, did Atomic have a regional event and was it on carpet or RCP?

The permanent carpet track in HK has high traction I can verify that. If you were sliding in this event then everyone including the HK drivers would've been sliding too. Wasn't that true?

The mall and HK gov't have fire codes and they probably couldn't build the track any larger inside the mall.

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 05:11 PM
mini-z were played in Malaysia on carpet before but it just died around (3-4 years ago)...and last year we have a shop and all of us starts to play Mini-Z again and its on RCP.

we never conduct any regional event carrying atomic or any kinda of brand, we only did a season race which last for 7 month...Atomic invited Malaysian driver to come as we always order parts from em, so we decided to send top 3 driver there.

on the first day, all car were sliding including the local drivers...but the locals managed to get the traction with their setup with SAS a lot faster than what we do.

i was told by aurora to use AW Groove 10 Rear and 20 Front but i've spent so much on kyosho tires and really trying hard to make it work...so its not the surface problem causing the problem for me there but bigger track will really help in the future.

briankstan
2008.09.23, 05:12 PM
I'm not nit picking, I was just curious. I have never raced on carpet so I have no feeling either way about it.

I'm glad that the track was new and not an exisiting track, thet goes to show that they were striving for an equal playing field for the attending drivers. Of course is should have been published that the finals track was to be carpet even if the US regional was run on RCP.

I raced at the RCP West Coast challenge and I had a blast, didn't do as well as I expected, but not to bad either. It's about having fun, mingling with others that enjoy the same hobby and promote the continued growth of the Mini-Z hobby as a true racing scale. if I had the chance I would have went to an Atomic regional and had fun, even if I finished last, and watching the top driver is simply amazing.

Tjay
2008.09.23, 05:28 PM
wow! Just got back from lunch... too much to read. :)

Yeah, kyoso tires will work if you like drifting... HK drivers only uses atomic tires.

Originally Posted by SaiTam

You're right Sai but there are some... I was please on all the major races I've been to which is in 2008 but the once I love the most was RCX sponsored by PN. That was all fun racing with the big dogs. :)

herman
2008.09.23, 09:51 PM
i was told by aurora to use AW Groove 10 Rear and 20 Front but i've spent so much on kyosho tires and really trying hard to make it work...so its not the surface problem causing the problem for me there but bigger track will really help in the future.

i think you should have listened to aurora (he's from h.k. right?) tires are first priority for setting your car... tried them at least... or borrowed a set? to find out what kind of traction they have on carpet... :D

so it was a bigger track that caused some problems for you?

- 7 star parts support (literally like an Atomic Parts Buffet coz its unlimited)
what do you mean by unlimited? free parts??? or unlimited atomic parts that you can put on your car?

thanks for your report... :D

wish i could have been there... just missed the event by a couple of weeks... was in h.k. from aug 23-30... :(

unfortunately though, i just breezed through the hobby shops (helped a friend out - he was actually looking for a plane)...

and remarkably i didn't buy any mini-z stuff... i think i just kicked my mini-z addiction!!!!

NOT!!!!

actually i just bought my first dslr camera... it practically cost me an arm, a leg, 2 fingers, and 3.5 toes...

i promised my wife that i'd be a good boy and not buy any mini-z stuff for that particular trip... and i didn't want to linger around any hobby shop any longer than i should to tempt myself... so i just breezed through mongkok, just for the sake of my dear friend who actually bought a plane hehehe...

at least now i can hopefully take better pics of my cars.... :D

Cherub1m
2008.09.23, 10:45 PM
Getting taken out sucks! I'd rather hit the wall than embarrass myself by hitting the guy who's trying to pass me clean...

also... those HK folks loves to use them SAS kit. ;) works really well on a carpet track...

I just got the SAS Pro and it also works great on RCP :D. I loved it so much I got a second kit for my other AWD.

CristianTabush
2008.09.23, 11:18 PM
Quick run down guys:

Great event! On par with the PN Finals in Portugal last year. Superior in the off-track activities to any race I have EVER BEEN to.

Mr. Fong and the whole Atomic crew really outdid themselves with their hospitality, even takling us to MMS after dinner (around 10pm) to tune our cars a little bit better. On Monday we had a wonderful tour of Hong Kong including the headquarters for EGR MART/ ATOMIC/ XTREME/ and their airsoft company... Impressive facilities, they have close to 50 employees now.

As for the driving, the Hong Kong guys are a little rough, but just as they hit cars, they do not complain when they get hit. It is not their fault though, the track was simply too narrow in some spots and there was either 10 or 11 cars on at the same time, talk about tight!

The surface... Regardless of it being a new track with less grip, the set-ups from MMS were pretty close to what they ran at the race. They did have a HUGE advantage in that category, but their driving is equally as impressive. Their top 5 guys are as good as any top RCP Mini-Z drivers.

My results... Disappointing, I was on TQ Pace in 2WD in the second and third round of qualifying when the same car would let me go and hit me the following corner. In the second qual I had a 24 second lap (mid 9's was the norm for MR-02) and this is the run that placed me at the top of the B main. Same car hit me, dislodged the body (was using tape) and the corner marshall was too busy watching the race to notice quickly enough... As for modified, I just was not prepared to run an AWD. Early on, I had a decent pace as I was I think 8th after controlled practice. This placed me in the fastest heat for qualifying, where a misbehaving car did not allow me to keep pace with the other cars and when you have 10 other fast cars on the track along with you, it is pretty difficult to put it together as I had to constantly pull over. I only managed to finish 1 qualifying round, and that put me somewhere in the C. In the main, I got hit at the start and this broke my car, I only completed 1 lap.

Regionals... Only Taiwan and Hong Kong ran on carpet, EVERYONE else used RCP, it really showed in the results.

Next year, the consensus from the majority of people was wider lanes and/or RCP. The RCP is unlikely to happen as atomic is working on a modular track that will be made out of carpet. Once this surface is broken in, it is really impressive. I think all the international guys will be better prepared as well if the case is that the race is run on carpet again.

It was nice to see old faces again and meet new people, the event was a ton of fun, it was just a shame the track was so small. I think it deterred the international guys from really trying hard as we simply did not have the time to fine tune the cars. Maybe a little more free practice next year?

yscheong
2008.09.23, 11:43 PM
Could not agree more from Cristian

BTW. Atomic is doing a great parts support.

You can actually change your old broken Atomic parts to new Atomic parts during the even. From tyres, brush to knuckle and ect. My friend is very busy on this.

Remember to super glue your tyre when run in carpet.

The bad is they limite the parts. Only Kyosho and Atomic parts is allowed.......

Racing in carpet, your steering respond have to be very fast. 2.4 is better. I had a change to try one of their AWD and wow, the driving style is totaly different.

It is a very good experience to us. Anyway, this is only our 1st International race for Mini z in Malaysia, more to come.

SaiTam
2008.09.23, 11:46 PM
Glad to hear you are back without delay. There is currently a typhoon/hurricane in HK grounding transportation. Where is Jacob and how did he do?

Let's see what the new Atomic modular carpet track will be like. I do not like running AWD on RCP

ub0211042
2008.09.23, 11:56 PM
herman, the track is too narrow and it is one of the major prob for all of ur...
the parts support was so great, the way it works is like this...

u bring any of ur old/new atomic parts and u can change it for free for example,
u bought front 30 and u want front 10...just change....and wheels too...knuckle, SAS parts, motor caps, alum parts and much more ...they will change all those things without question.

yeap, i should hv followed what aurora told me...it would hv really help...my bad...

mongkok street was a good place for RC lover, its like a heaven here...but only managed to get Yokomo ichiroku m, silvia ASC and silvia white body for myself.

what christian explained above covers what happend there, what really makes my day there is the oppurtunity to meet christian himself, jacob and all the other international drivers. they are really supportive and friendly!

the locals were also good but language barriers really makes the gap...

ub0211042
2008.09.24, 12:02 AM
from what i know, jacob got into modified A main but not so sure about the result....

Cherub1m
2008.09.24, 12:20 AM
Glad to hear you are back without delay. There is currently a typhoon/hurricane in HK grounding transportation. Where is Jacob and how did he do?

Let's see what the new Atomic modular carpet track will be like. I do not like running AWD on RCP

Hi Sai

If your coming to Maj's this thursday, I'll let you try out my AWD with the SAS Pro. I think you will love it on the RCP :cool:

Tjay
2008.09.24, 02:43 AM
I just got the SAS Pro and it also works great on RCP :D. I loved it so much I got a second kit for my other AWD.

I want to build another AWD mod but this time with SAS and in 94mm config... but then I'm very busy at work. I don't even have time to practice for the WOrlds. :(

herman
2008.09.24, 03:17 AM
thanks for the insights!!!

free swaping of parts too... that's really cool!!!

kinda sad hearing what happened to cristian... 10-11 cars is alot... come and join the speed train... but got a podium in one event regardless... :D

but overall i guess it was really fun... really wish i can watch or probably join next year... :D

ub0211042
2008.09.24, 03:19 AM
no prob herman :D

yscheong
2008.09.24, 04:25 AM
here is the link to another side with some photo

http://www.rctech.net/forum/malaysian-r-c-racers/176503-new-mini-z-shop-indoor-rcp-race-track-29.html

JacobFeinstein
2008.09.24, 09:21 AM
This was defineitely one of the most awesome events I have ever been to. The level of courtesy and commitment demonstrated by Mr Fong and his staff was truly great. From helping me with setup (have to thank Cristian for that as well) to showing us the highlights of Hong Kong, Menson, Sue, Gary, Kim, Alan, and the rest of the Atomic staffamazed me with their hospitality.

The racing was rougher than we were used to, but we agreed that that is pretty much inevitable on such a tight track. In RCP terms, many sections of the track were only ONE tile wide. As far as my results, I managed 4th in 2WD Stock and 9th (I think) in Modified. I think the international drivers did alright considering how little preparation and tuning time they had. It was unfortunate that Cristian did not make the A-mains, but he made it clear that his Stock car had the potential to win the event. Unfortunate circumstances aside, he was gracious enough to let me run his cars in both Modified and Stock A-mains as mine were setback with electrical and mechanical problems.

I think I'm really lucky to have made it to this event and to have met so many great people from a side of the world I have never seen before.

Cherub1m
2008.09.24, 10:50 AM
I want to build another AWD mod but this time with SAS and in 94mm config... but then I'm very busy at work. I don't even have time to practice for the WOrlds. :(

Hi Tjay

I've heard the 94mm AWD has understeer and is more likely to have a bouncing rear end. I plan to try it out also, with the SAS Pro to see for myself. So far the 98mm AWD with the SAS Pro is impressive. Only thing I would say, when you try it make sure the suspension links move freely and also the ball joint on both upper and lower part of the shocks. Only after that should you experiment with friction grease and a little is better then alot.

Congrats to you all at the Atomic World in HK!!!

EMU
2008.09.24, 12:26 PM
Jacob, I think 4th is a very good finish with the competition and curve that you were thrown with the carpet track. You are one of the best drivers that I have seen, make your presence known on the track without pushing people out of your way to take a position.

I think that Christian made a good decision to switch cars with you for the mains. It shows that he is a true team player, and wanted the best finish that he could get for the US/Reflex racers. He probably knew that your car had what it takes to get him to the podium in the B, but would have really handicapped you in the A.

It would have been nice if more US drivers made the A mains. Theres allways next year.

Congratulations to all that went, and where are the videos!!!

HKSHOBBY
2008.09.24, 02:36 PM
2wd stock is Cristians class... great job Cristian!

Btw, does any of you guys know the contact for atomic here in US? I know it's Alan Mok (HKS) but he doesn't seem to reply back on my emails. Can anyone help me out? I need to get a hold of any atomic representative.

Thanks!

SORRY I IN HONG KONG U CAN CALL (852)61211508

BENNETT-NY
2008.09.24, 07:15 PM
hello Abdul,
What a suprises! Glad to hear from you again! Like I said: Cheorg Yik told me you just trying to get a green one for a long time in order to complete the collection. I just feel you need its more than I do........anyway, it was my pleasure in meeting the Malaysia team....stay in touch please.

Tjay
2008.09.24, 07:52 PM
SORRY I IN HONG KONG U CAN CALL (852)61211508

Check PM please.

ub0211042
2008.09.25, 02:44 AM
hello Abdul,
What a suprises! Glad to hear from you again! Like I said: Cheorg Yik told me you just trying to get a green one for a long time in order to complete the collection. I just feel you need its more than I do........anyway, it was my pleasure in meeting the Malaysia team....stay in touch please.

thanks again mr Bennett, anyway this is my email add ub0211042@gmail.com ...keep in touch too

herman
2008.09.25, 10:22 PM
any vids? :D

ub0211042
2008.09.25, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/AtomicGYT