PDA

View Full Version : Bought an F1

russp
2008.09.22, 08:12 AM
Ok, I assume our two classes this year are stock and F1? According to Art we were dropping mod? That's fine with me as I just bought an F1 off ebay (probably from a member of this site). Hence, I'm interested in stock and F1.

I'll have to see what tires come with it (he said several spares) but what tires are you all running on the track for F1?

hpgod
2008.09.22, 10:28 AM
Pn rears, kyosho 20 rears and kyosho 30 fronts
IMO get 2 sets of rear per each set of fronts as the rears wear much faster them the fronts.

I tried the Pn fronts but both compounds were too much steering.

russp
2008.09.22, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, for reference it's the black and silver McClaren that I bought. I can't remember what ones you all had.

pinoyboy
2008.09.22, 12:51 PM
cool beans, F1 is pretty fun:D. I agree with Art on the tire situation;)

russp
2008.09.23, 03:53 PM
Here is the description of what I bought. See anything else that would need upgrading? Are you running stock motors in the F1s?

The car is hopped up with titanium ball diff, softer tires, after market tie rods for adjusting toe in, atomic mods 2 degree spindles, spare wheels, tires, and bumper.

I would guess he has aluminum knuckles based on the above but not sure. What have you broken most of?

hpgod
2008.09.24, 06:02 AM
I have broke the ears off the chasis steering a few times, a motor pod by using the wrong cleaner on the motor. 1 spurgear (it one on the f1 to rear end hits) I broke a carbon side plate by letting the car fall out of my hand onto the table.

We are running F1 with the HFAY motor this year. Last year we ran mild mod motors with stock fet boards. atomic stock,xspeed, atomic stockr etc.

AtlRC
2008.09.24, 10:42 PM
I'm fine with whatever classes you guys want to run. I think we should plan on a Stock and F1 and I'm in for both. If there are enough people that want to run anything else; a mod class, a beginners class, or whatever, we can do those anytime.

As for F1 motors... I suppose that since new F1's have upgraded FETS and it would be hard to limit what FETS are being used, we might as well limit the horsepower by sticking with the HFAY motors like Art said. Any other thoughts?

I'll start putting together a schedule and post a discussion thread for it next week. It's been a crazy busy summer for me, but I'm looking forward to some racing again soon!

russp
2008.09.25, 08:03 AM
I'm fine with whatever classes you guys want to run. I think we should plan on a Stock and F1 and I'm in for both. If there are enough people that want to run anything else; a mod class, a beginners class, or whatever, we can do those anytime.

As for F1 motors... I suppose that since new F1's have upgraded FETS and it would be hard to limit what FETS are being used, we might as well limit the horsepower by sticking with the HFAY motors like Art said. Any other thoughts?

I'll start putting together a schedule and post a discussion thread for it next week. It's been a crazy busy summer for me, but I'm looking forward to some racing again soon!

I'm in for F1 and Stock and do like the idea of the HFAY motors on the F1's. I'm not sure which FETs the one I've purchased has. I guess we will see.

russp
2008.09.25, 06:10 PM
Got my F1. I'm very pleased with the deal I got. It appears to be one with 3010 FETs. It's a 2005 Jaun Pablo Montoya body. Very smooth.

I was considering how I could add some rounded foam to the front wing corners to aid in not getting stuck under the RCP bumpers. Is this allowable in our F1 class?

russp
2008.09.29, 07:18 PM
Have any of you tried the Atomic 10 degree rears? I have some softer tires that came with this and I'm guessing maybe they are Kyosho 20's but hard to say given there does not appear to be any markings on them. In any case, they are decent but I am getting occasional power slides when I put too much power down coming out of the corners. This is on RCP so I'm worried that on Patrick's slicker track it will just get much worse. Hence, the interest in the Atomic 10 degree rears.

Also, have we agreed to use the HFAY motor on these? It is slower than the standard F1 motor? I like the speed mine has now but I guess slower would improve the power slide problem.

pinoyboy
2008.09.29, 07:35 PM
Have any of you tried the Atomic 10 degree rears? I have some softer tires that came with this and I'm guessing maybe they are Kyosho 20's but hard to say given there does not appear to be any markings on them. In any case, they are decent but I am getting occasional power slides when I put too much power down coming out of the corners. This is on RCP so I'm worried that on Patrick's slicker track it will just get much worse. Hence, the interest in the Atomic 10 degree rears.

Also, have we agreed to use the HFAY motor on these? It is slower than the standard F1 motor? I like the speed mine has now but I guess slower would improve the power slide problem.

I think the atomic tire compounds are always a little more suited for Carpet, unless they're the new ones marked for RCP. I don't think Atomic has any tires made just for RCP.

That, along with the tire being soft, as well as the ribs in the tire casue alot of squirm, so I think thats why your sliding around sometimes. I think Patrick had on a set of these way back when we started F1s at the Hobby Shop. He pointed most of those out to me

Thats a definite on the Hfay motor or stock kyosho motor. The hfay should probably be better, a little more torque and should stay cooler with the ventilated end bell

russp
2008.09.29, 10:12 PM
I think the atomic tire compounds are always a little more suited for Carpet, unless they're the new ones marked for RCP. I don't think Atomic has any tires made just for RCP.
l

Just checked Brian's site. He carries 6 degree PN F1 tires for RCP. Ever tried those? I send him email to ask his opinion on them versus Kyosho 20's. I'm very tempted to try these since I think I need another HFAY motor from him anyways.

pinoyboy
2008.09.29, 10:16 PM
Just checked Brian's site. He carries 6 degree PN F1 tires for RCP. Ever tried those? I send him email to ask his opinion on them versus Kyosho 20's. I'm very tempted to try these since I think I need another HFAY motor from him anyways.

The PN tires do have more grip than the Kyosho, but not by much.

Heres an old thread Art made asking about them
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28032

You'll probably want to try kyosho 20s on the front to start with

russp
2008.09.29, 10:32 PM
The PN tires do have more grip than the Kyosho, but not by much.

Heres an old thread Art made asking about them
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28032

You'll probably want to try kyosho 20s on the front to start with

20's on front? Interesting. Everyone always says 30's or even 40's. I think I'll give the PN's a spin. I searched for a thread but the search engine on this site always returns far too many irrelevant threads for some reason. Thanks for the link.

pinoyboy
2008.09.29, 10:51 PM
20's on front? Interesting. Everyone always says 30's or even 40's. I think I'll give the PN's a spin. I searched for a thread but the search engine on this site always returns far too many irrelevant threads for some reason. Thanks for the link.

sorry, your right, kyosho 30s on front:o

hpgod
2008.09.30, 06:13 AM
you are right russ kyosho 30s in front for slight push of pn20s for aggressive turning

briankstan
2008.09.30, 10:24 AM
I agree that the PN 6's have more grip on the rear. I prefer the Kyosho 30's or the PN 15's for a little more front grip. you can usually get away with the PN 15's on the front because the 6's provide better rear traction to keep you from spinning out.

I ran the Kyosho 20's on the rear and 30's on the front for along time, it's a good setup but at the time it was Kyosho and atomic only for F1 tires. the Atomic tires are not good for RCP at all. I'm sure they were designed for carpet.

russp
2008.10.01, 08:03 PM
Well, just ordered some F1 tires from Brian. Turns out that no-one seems to carry Kyosho tires right now except maybe someone overseas. In any case, I bought the PN RCP 6 degree ribbed rears, and 20 degree fronts. I have some other somewhat soft front now (not the stock ones of course as they are hard as a rock) so hopefully between the 2 sets I'll find a good balance. Also got some bearings.

I noticed the HFAY motors are now sold out so what we got before is what we got. :)

mleemor60
2008.10.01, 08:21 PM
Russ,
High Speed Hobbies has a wall full of Kyosho F-1 tires. 20 rears and 20 and 30 fronts. F-1 wheels also and PN rear pod's. 1-800-357-5298 ask for Jim. Shop opens at noon.

pinoyboy
2008.10.01, 09:36 PM
Russ,
High Speed Hobbies has a wall full of Kyosho F-1 tires. 20 rears and 20 and 30 fronts. F-1 wheels also and PN rear pod's. 1-800-357-5298 ask for Jim. Shop opens at noon.

Definitely a good shop too! ;):D

briankstan
2008.10.01, 10:59 PM
I noticed the HFAY motors are now sold out so what we got before is what we got. :)

I'll have some more motors in by the first part of next week if you need them.

russp
2008.10.04, 04:42 PM
Got the new tires today. Thanks Brian! Very quick as always. The combo of PN 6's on the rear and 20's on the front seems just right, at least for RCP. Can't say how it will do on Patrick's slippery track but hopefully at least fairly well since it's planted on RCP.

pinoyboy
2008.10.04, 10:30 PM
Got the new tires today. Thanks Brian! Very quick as always. The combo of PN 6's on the rear and 20's on the front seems just right, at least for RCP. Can't say how it will do on Patrick's slippery track but hopefully at least fairly well since it's planted on RCP.

Those tires should work fine on Patrick's track as I think I used them the last half of the season

briankstan
2008.10.05, 11:56 AM
those are the tires I run here on or track too ;)