PDA

View Full Version : basic setup help

dirtchambers
2008.09.22, 08:30 PM
Hi.. I have a couple mr-015 chrysler 300's I would like to run.. I havent made it out to HS since they have the new track...

#1 is the 015 chassis competitive?
#2 what motors are allowed in stock?
#3 where to start on tires?

Tjay
2008.09.22, 09:01 PM
1. yes
2. it depends on your LHS. Usually PN stock motor (70turns)
3. PN20's or Kyosho30's Front and Kyosho 20 Rears

edit:
I'm sure that chrysler wont run as good as any other race bodies out there but if you're starting up, just run it.

EMU
2008.09.23, 12:03 AM
Tires really depend on the track.

I have won many 015 races with the Chrysler 300.

My front tire of choice was a worn 3Racing AWD front. Once the tread was worn off...
You can also try the Atomic 40d competition. Works well on my 350z 015. I tried the PN 20, and Kyosho 30d slicks, and didnt really like them as much. (remember that each track is a little different).

For rear tires, I use the Kyosho 20d radials (newest version). And it is good. I used 1mm Narrow rear wheels, although you can fit a -1mm Wide rear with a little grinding on the body and a ball diff (narrow wheels wont fit with the stock diff).

Remove the windows, and grind off the top part that sits under the roof. This will help it not roll over as easily. One of the most important modifications for this body.

The body is a 2x NYC Championship 015 class trophy winner ;)
http://www.actionrcspeedway.com/arc_pic15.jpg
http://www.actionrcspeedway.com/08nyc_pic2.jpg
The first I took it in a dominating fashion, second one I was running my 350z, and lost by a very small margin to it.

Our 015 class does pretty close to the same laps as the stock class. In stock, last week I did 8.17s fast lap in my FXX with Atomic Stock motor, and 8.17s fast lap in my 350z 015 chassis with 70t motor. Fastest lap of the night was my 7.98s lap in the 3rd qualifier with my Mazda 787B and 70t motor.

The Chrysler lacks agility, but it carries good speed through the sweepers. You almost have to drive it like an F1 with the lines, where you have to have larger radius turns than you would with most other cars. It is one of the most winning 015 bodies in our track history, behind my 350Z.

An 015 placed 2nd in the 2wd Stock A main at the PN East Coast regional. (one placed first, but he was dq'd for being .2g underweight after a weight fell off the car during the race, poor Willy:(). I ran my 350z for one qualifier, and was only one lap behind my qualifying time with my MR02 Murcielago. So it is not a slow chassis.

pedrocamp
2008.09.24, 11:36 AM
That is a nice track EMU!
Like TJ and EMU said, you will be competitive. Clean driving beats outright speed anyway in 28th scale racing.
The tires of choice at HS seem to be the Reflex SSG rear and 20 or 30 Kyosho in front. At High Speed the Stock Class AM (single stack) cars can run a Speedy 07 or a Kyosho XSpeed. You can run the kit motor or a PN 70 turn if you would like as well. The 70 turn is a good choice if you are just starting out, good speed and inexpensive. The 2.4 ASF cars must run the kit motor or a PN 70 turn in Stock due to the stacked FETS.
Hope to see you at the track,
Pedro

EMU
2008.09.25, 01:02 AM
The setup for the 015 is a little different than it is for the 02. You cant use tires with as much grip on the 015. You dont need to since the 015 will rotate well with harder tires. I drive my 015 with the same set of tires for months. I use Atomic 40d slicks in the front, with either PN 8d radials or now Kyosho 20d radials (newest kind) in the rear. I use narrow rear tires. The Kyoshos wear faster, but have more grip. I never really liked the feel of the PN tires on the front of my 015. I do like some of the carpet tires on the front...

With the 015, the 70t motor is a great choice. Just enough speed, but much more control in the slower sections of the track. Any more speed, makes the car much harder to setup and les consistant. My 015 70t is one of the fastest 70t cars I have seen. It is also 167g.

tommy_greeneyes
2008.09.25, 09:14 AM
That is a nice track EMU!
Like TJ and EMU said, you will be competitive. Clean driving beats outright speed anyway in 28th scale racing.
The tires of choice at HS seem to be the Reflex SSG rear and 20 or 30 Kyosho in front. At High Speed the Stock Class AM (single stack) cars can run a Speedy 07 or a Kyosho XSpeed. You can run the kit motor or a PN 70 turn if you would like as well. The 70 turn is a good choice if you are just starting out, good speed and inexpensive. The 2.4 ASF cars must run the kit motor or a PN 70 turn in Stock due to the stacked FETS.
Hope to see you at the track,
Pedro

Hey Pedro .

good job on the kicking A** in the stock class with a 2.4 car,, :D:D:D i see after i left High speed hobbies you taking over my job of winning, lol you are a great driver, and i miss racing with everyone from North carolina,

but Pedro ,EMS he is also a great driver to , he knows his set -ups well, he wheels his MR-015 like a MR-02,, its nice to see a MR-015 race well to,

Pedro you like that track in the picture, its alot bigger then high speed hobbies track . Action RC speedway is the track i race at now, that is the track i started racing when i moved back home .you and Mike need to take a trip up here , i think your like this track.

My set-up at High speed hobbies when i use to race there was Atomic AW 10's rears and Atomic AW Fronts 10's. soft T-Plate, yellow front springs, 2 degree Knuckle's and last that i recall i use to have the A-main lap record at 63 laps, and then Grant beat it with 64 in Mod class, but Records are made to be broking:D:D:D

mleemor60
2008.09.25, 09:34 AM
Pedro and Rodney and Lara I believe all turned a 64. Grant turned a 65. Tommy, check your email. I just forwarded some McLaren pictures. I have all the decal's and a white body in stock. Let me know what you think.

pedrocamp
2008.09.25, 10:43 AM
Tommy - Love to make a trip up there sometime, I know you have a really strong group up there as well as some nice tracks. The group here is quite competitive as you know. I am sure if you were still here you would be hitting 65. Progress... laps times fall! Mike's been good about getting some fast guys to come out and race with us, Cristian and Grant have helped us and upped our game.
Hope to see one fast 015 soon...

Pedro

EMU
2008.09.26, 01:10 AM
Tommy, thanks for the kind words.

Pedro, if you come up, you wont see one fast 015... you will see at least 4 fast 015's pushing about the same amount of laps as the 02's. 015 is just about as competetive as the 02 class. You never would believe that a PT Cruiser could pace a McLaren :eek:

dirtchambers
2008.09.27, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the tips guys... Could you please explain the body mod a little better? Dont think I quite understand.