PDA

View Full Version : Ebay scammers

kryten
2008.09.27, 09:24 AM
I thought i'd start this thread so people can list ebay users who scam.
Sitewarept a guy from portugal i sold an OL to.He bought a listed as used OL then claimed his money back via Paypal saying it wasn't new, and to top it all off paypal gave him his money back!So i ended up paying for the OL to have a hol in portugal.
Feel free to add other user names we should all be wary of.

marc
2008.09.27, 12:11 PM
I trust Hobby Japan and JR-RC "Dnano guy" 100%. I've seen Sitewarept but never bid anything from him yet, thank's for the warning. Paypal can be tricky some times and I have heard of this happening before. If an ebay customer isn't satisfied, he/she can claim something went wrong with the sale and PayPal will usually grant theme their money back weather or not the claim is legit. If PayPal beleives in the claim, it will be granted. It's also tough to proove to PayPal that fraud has taken place as I have found out this past year.
It's taken me a full year to get my theft realized and my aunt and I are now in the process of doing paper work to get my money back.
It can go either way, either really easy to claim an error and get your money back, or claim a large theft and you may never see your money back.
I always check the ebay seller's history by searching through his feedback. If I see more than one negative feedback, I either question it, or dont' bid. I also look at how far back that negative feedback is as well. If it's recent, be wary, if it's long time ago, could've been simple mistake or that they learned from it in which case may give him/her a chance.
You should try and argue with PayPal about it and perhaps if possible give theme a copy of your item's description. If PayPal sees your description where you clearly said "used", then PayPal will have to refund YOU your money back as you DiD sell a used item and that you did NOT list it as new and sold HIM a used one. Try it and good luck!
Like I said, PayPal can be tricky. Did you know ebay OWNS PayPal?
This is also why I no longer connect my bank account to PayPal. I only use my credit card which gives you back up incase of fraud, or I only use whatever I make from sales. Credit Cards are a lot easier to get your money back from fraud than your bank account. If your bank account was raped from PayPal hackers, it's hell prooving it.

kryten
2008.09.27, 12:30 PM
'Sitewarept' is a buyer,not a seller i checked the feedback and he hasn't sold a single thing on ebay.I am aware that ebay owns paypal,that's why it stinks so much they reviewed the case,saw i put used and STILL gave him his money back.

marc
2008.09.27, 12:36 PM
That sucks, sorry to hear that. I thought I had seen him as a seller before, maybe it was somebody else with a similar name.
It can be tricky out there with both ebay and PayPal. Just realized something that I haven't thought of before. Ebay nails you twice. First, you have to pay for selling something on ebay. Then, you get nailed with PayPal fees for RECEIVEING money? That seems wrong to me and that's why I like to sell here before trying to sell on ebay, then I only worry about PayPal fees. I'd never sell to that guy again then and if he places a bid on one of your items, I think you have the option of cancelling his bid. Not sure how to do that as I've never done it, but the seller can cancell somebodies bid.

HammerZ
2008.09.28, 11:27 PM
About the only things on Ebay I used was well established stores and "buy it now" listings. I have had Paypal issues though. Last year I got charged for domain names someone else setup. That was to the bill of $210, six each at $35 a piece. I opened a dispute claim on that. I have no idea who it was, but was told it was someone else that used my account.

marc
2008.09.29, 04:46 PM
It's easier to get your money back from credit card fraud/unauthorized purchases than it is with bank account.
It's some times hard to tell who purchased the item or where it was shipped too also. In starting my claims, I had asked for a copy of the transactions from PayPal. What I received was what looked like a crapy copy of a faxed copy. You know, the more you copy something the crappier the quality is? It was nearly impossible to read it, and what should have been important information was blanked out! What does that tell yea?
Again, I no longer connect my bank acount to PayPal. Too easy for me to go under, and too easy for somebody to hack in.
I've seen lot's of threads in google about how easy it is for hackers to hack into PayPal accounts and start using other peoples money. You should really change your PayPal password almost weekly and/or just keep checking your statements on a regular basies as it's easier to make claimes the MINUTE you notice something odd. Don't wait for months like I did cause I was out of town. The longer you wait, the more difficult it is.

HammerZ
2008.10.06, 05:50 AM
This may be a bit off topic as it is more on identity theft.

I did have to set up a whole new email address, my old one was hijacked by internet scammers. This case has been reported, now it is just the legal work. Sending papers around, and just the typical "jumping through the hoops" as they say. You never think it can happen to you till it does. It did involve paypal, as well as Bill Me Later and a credit card account. One thing my sister pointed out to me, not a good idea to keep passwords in your email account. Right now many of those are frozen till it is resolved.

briankstan
2008.10.06, 02:08 PM
About the only things on Ebay I used was well established stores and "buy it now" listings. I have had Paypal issues though. Last year I got charged for domain names someone else setup. That was to the bill of $210, six each at $35 a piece. I opened a dispute claim on that. I have no idea who it was, but was told it was someone else that used my account.

did you see who the domain was registered to? might give you a good idea of who it was.

fredz28
2008.10.06, 09:36 PM
I thought i'd start this thread so people can list ebay users who scam.
Sitewarept a guy from portugal i sold an OL to.He bought a listed as used OL then claimed his money back via Paypal saying it wasn't new, and to top it all off paypal gave him his money back!So i ended up paying for the OL to have a hol in portugal.
Feel free to add other user names we should all be wary of.

Here's a tip that I learned the hard way. If you only ship to confirmed addresses you should'nt have that problem. Overseas or outside the US are considered non confirmed. If you shipped to a non comfirmed address and the customer complains for any reason Paypal will refund the money. Hope this helps.

HammerZ
2008.10.07, 12:41 AM
did you see who the domain was registered to? might give you a good idea of who it was.

No I didn't get that info, just the domain names. I was told it was some other person that made those transactions. Those site names looked alot like mal ware. It did take about six months to get my funds returned to my account, after all the work.

Alot of these identity theft crimes seem to be on the rise again. I had my long time email account hit (I had to setup a whole new one to replace it), with around $4000 in charges between bill me later and paypal. The paypal one is just $400 this time, and without that email I am cut off on that one. I have reported it to my local enforcement, the police who in turn hands it over to the FBI.

I have no idea how long the data has been gathered. Probably around a whole years time, little by little. All I can say is keep those antivirus programs up to date the best you can, even then there are no sure bets.

marc
2008.10.08, 09:48 PM
Mcafree does a great job. It updates almost daily, and it just recently caught and killed a trojan found on my computer. I wasn't even aware I had one, but good old Mcafree found it all by itselfe.
I update almost every other day and scan it before bed time.
Still trying to get my money back from last year!

marc
2008.10.13, 10:19 PM
Does anybody have any experience purchasing parts from ToyLand HK on ebay? They have a few AWD parts that I'm interested in but wondering if their trust worthy and fast.

kryten
2008.10.14, 06:33 AM
I've bought a fair amount of stuff from them they are trustworthy and have pretty quick delivery too!

marc
2008.10.16, 10:44 PM
Thank you that makes me feel good to know that! Just in case I decide to pick up an AWD.