PDA

View Full Version : What is needed ffrom a race dircector?

Z_408
2008.09.29, 02:03 AM
I am the race director for our local track. I try to do my best to keep the program going but I would like to know from others what is really needed from a race director.

Thank you for your input in advance.

bermbuster
2008.09.29, 06:43 AM
I am the race director for our local track. I try to do my best to keep the program going but I would like to know from others what is really needed from a race director.

Thank you for your input in advance.

Staying on schedule....
mixing the heats....
quality announcing....
keeping the track well groomed (clean and hydrated for consistant grip)
take votes on what classes to run....
handicapped point series so all racers have a chance at winning....
rental or loaner race cars to get newbies racing....
listen to your racers...

briankstan
2008.09.29, 09:34 AM
keeping the track well groomed (clean and hydrated for consistant grip)

could you please explain the "Hydrated" comment? what's the process? andvantages? this is a new term to me related to the tracks?

hrdrvr
2008.09.29, 09:57 AM
Ive heard of people misting their RCP tracks before events. Supposedly this adds a lot of traction. I thought I read somehwere that John from RCP reccomended against the adding of any water to RCP though.

briankstan
2008.09.29, 10:09 AM
Ive heard of people misting their RCP tracks before events. Supposedly this adds a lot of traction. I thought I read somehwere that John from RCP reccomended against the adding of any water to RCP though.

interesting? I haven't ever heard of doing that. I know that John said that if you wash the track not to leave it in the sun to dry as the tiles could possibly shrink. I really don't think that misting the track would damage it, basically it would amount to running in a more humid location. Here in Utah it is very dry, and I have noticed that when racing in california at Kenon, and RCX (after the track was broke in) that the traction was better than I've ever had it here locally. Wonder if it had to do with the humidity?

bermbuster
2008.09.29, 10:47 AM
could you please explain the "Hydrated" comment? what's the process? andvantages? this is a new term to me related to the tracks?
i race at Majs in Saddlebrook, NJ. It is a high banked track that needs traction.... On racedays he takes a spraybottle(water)
mists the track then vacuums it. It helps to keep the traction constant.
Any foam when it drys out the cells close up making it have less grip.
The idea is not to soak the tiles but just keep them hydrated enough...
the vacuuming pulls off loose rubber and any excess mist... He does this about 5 hours before a race...hope this helps

hrdrvr
2008.09.29, 12:11 PM
Wonder if it had to do with the humidity?

I dont know about those tracks specifically, but I do know that at the PA regional there was ridiculous traction in the afternoons. There was great traction to start, but as the day warmed up and got more humid, the grip on the track increased immensely. I dont know if it was due to humidity or temperature, but I guess it was a combination of the two.

bermbuster
2008.09.29, 02:09 PM
I dont know about those tracks specifically, but I do know that at the PA regional there was ridiculous traction in the afternoons. There was great traction to start, but as the day warmed up and got more humid, the grip on the track increased immensely. I dont know if it was due to humidity or temperature, but I guess it was a combination of the two.

exactly....RCP is a big sponge :cool: