PDA

View Full Version : Team Orion 750mah SHO batteries

TheRinger
2008.09.30, 10:37 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried these batteries yet? Are they worth it?

lugnutz
2008.10.01, 03:04 PM
ringer
i have these batts and they run great although you must charge them a little slower then normal.what i mean is that i would charge my orion 900 at 1.6amps ,these (750 sho)will not handle that much current i charge these at .5 amps so it takes about 80 minutes to charge them on a lacrosse,i've tried to charge them a little higher and they vented:mad:

dvsstrike
2008.10.01, 09:51 PM
lug 1.6 for those 900 holy crap don't those thing get mad hot. i charge mine at 1.0 and they still get hot on my lrp pulsar. charging that high will only hurt the cells. now as for the 750s they are awsome they have more punch than the 900. you don't really need the 900 for stock the 750 will do just fine

lugnutz
2008.10.02, 05:00 PM
dvsstrike they tend to get hot but not to hot,when timed just right for a qualifier they have all kinds of punch,and yes the 750's do have alot of punch just don't charge them at 1 amp or higher they will vent

TheRinger
2008.10.02, 09:42 PM
Thanks 4 the response everyone. Thats exactly what I feared lugnutz, just like what happened 2 the 2 sets of intellects I had. They just about ruined my lacrosse charger even charging them at .5 amps. blt456 let me what U think of them.

atallfunguy
2008.10.05, 03:38 AM
These batteries SUCK !!

I bought 2 packs and 1 cell from each pack vented when being charged at 500Mah with a fan on them.

Now I have 2 dead lacrosse charges and 2 batteries that vented, when looking at the battery I can see where the juice came out on the positive side

Anyone know how to fix the lacross chargers? They are now reading voltage when there is no cell in the charger.

UGGG

R1WURKS
2008.10.06, 11:59 PM
what other chargers are you guys using? lug, what charger are you using?

EMU
2008.10.07, 12:18 AM
I cycled my 750 SHO set a couple times at 500c/250d and had no venting even without a fan on my BC-900.

Were you using the BC-700 or BC-900?

dvsstrike
2008.10.07, 07:16 AM
i charge my 750 witih an lrp pulsar in a nice charging tray at .7a no issues with venting

pgeldz
2008.10.07, 07:20 AM
I LOVE these batteries!!!

I'm about to post a review of the various batteries I've been using but I'l tell ya right up front, that these are easily my favorite.

I've been charging them on a dynapower perfect charger by Seiki. Charge rate is 1.0 amps. No problems thus far.

- Paulie

hpgod
2008.10.07, 08:24 AM
lrp pulsar

if you are charging 4 unmatched cells in series at that high of rate the its not the cells fault they vented. 1 cell peaked while the others were still charging. you over charge a battery and it will go poof. This is especially true on the first charge as the ship batteries with some charge and self-discharge at slightly different rate in the package to different level of charge.
unmatched batteries work best if changed seperately so each cell is at maximum level.

lugnutz
2008.10.07, 04:31 PM
R1Works i used my Team Cheackpoint charger and a Mrc super brain 979.
like i explained if you charge these batteries any higher then .5 amps they seem to vent,when mine first did i was charging them at 1.6amps then i dropped them down to 1 amp(different set of batteries)they vented so i dropped down to .5amps(another set of batteries)no vent.

although my first two sets vented they run very well,i really can't explain what i did to them after they vented because only oldschool racers would know what injected cells are, MC 2 anyone,anyone.

hpgod i discharge all of my cells before i charge them,its a very regimentle practice i have with batteries,i,ve been raceing electric since 1984,i've also worked at and with several companies here in jersey in the r/d department,i also helped develop zapping and injecting of cells to make them better.

i do think these batteries are very fast and work well in stock,i'm also saying be careful of how you charge these cells,they do not like being abused like the 900's do.
thank you Frank P.

dvsstrike
2008.10.07, 09:31 PM
lug what tray do you use to charge them in? also are you charging it in flex or linear? do have the trickle on? what you delta peak or threshold at? iuse my lrps' cause they are alot smaller than my tubo thirty. and if i go to a race i you see me yank out a turbo thirty you would think i'm nuts luggin a charger pluse power supply bigger that 5 cars and a transmitter.
laer
t

lugnutz
2008.10.07, 11:40 PM
dvsstrike i use the pn charging trays,linear mode,10mv threshold,no trickle.
i used to have a couple of thirties but i sold them about 7 years ago,i didn't plan on racing ever again but here i am;)
i wouldn't think you strange if you used your thirty:confused:

dvsstrike
2008.10.08, 07:13 AM
lug change your threshold to like 3mv or 5mv, you do not need them that high. AAA's do not like to be slightly overcharged to peak.

hpgod
2008.10.08, 07:27 AM
lugnutz
we may have crosses paths then in past rc lifes then. I raced 1/10 offroad and elec since 1990 before i moved into nitro in 2000. I knew many people from your old pruple company. I assumed average joe on this scale who charged a pack in a tray in series out of the box very unmatched cells.

lugnutz
2008.10.08, 03:32 PM
dvsstrike i will try that and see what happens but i'm very happy the results i,ve been getting lately at .5amps,very very fast :eek:

hpgod we may have passed in the past,pm me and let me know who you are or maybe i'll drive to your house :D :D :D

Felix2010
2008.10.25, 02:27 AM
I had my first 750SHO cell vent from the first pack I opened tonight. I wanted to charge one cell at a time but I didn't want to use my Maha charger so I used my Cell Master and charged my first cell in a PN tray @0.8A. The 750SHO cell finished charging at 804mah, with the peak temp only reaching a little over 23 degrees Celsius (around 80 degrees F), but the cell leaked a lot. Not a good sign so far. I will try charging the next cell @0.5A. It's hard for me to want to risk using my Maha MH-C9000 charger with these cells with the venting some of us have experienced - A leaky cell is one thing, a lost Lacrosse or Maha charger is another.

EMU
2008.10.25, 02:33 AM
I dont think I am going to be using these cells too much. Mainly since they have to be charged at such a low amperage. I dont see much of a difference at all compared to the R1Wurks cells, which can be charged in half the time.

I have one set of the SHO's and I will use them for stock mains.

TheRinger
2008.10.25, 08:54 PM
I bought 2 sets of these batteries and I just had 1 set vent in my maha charger today. I was hoping that because they were made by team orion they would be decent but I found out the hard way especially since I started this thread asking about them:o. Well live and learn.

Felix2010
2008.10.26, 04:19 AM
I agree with you EMU, I don't see the advantage of these 750SHO cells if they have to be charged at such a low rate. For the $$ the Orion 900HV's I think are a great cell and I have had good experience with them. I have had a couple Orion 900 cells vent on me over the coarse of 6-7 packs, but I've had just about every brand of cell I've tried vent on me at least once when I pushed the cell too hard.
I expected great things from these 750SHO cells too, Ringer. I'm very surprised many of us are having problems.
I haven't given up on the 750SHO's, mainly because I have yet to even try them in my Zs. But I don't see how the 750SHO's can be a better cell than a set of matched Team Scream 900's, or R1wurks Matched Orion900's or R1wurks matched proprietary 990's. Right now I'd rather spend $20 on a set of Pro-Comp matched cells than $17 on a set of the Orion 750SHO's. My opinion might change if a Team Orion rep could explain the venting of so many 750SHO cells, or if R1wurks or another company begins selling matched-packs of 750SHO cells.

dvsstrike
2008.10.26, 09:02 AM
i too gave up on these cells. i did not even race them and they vented. i just use the 900hv a better cell and better priced

lugnutz
2008.10.26, 01:26 PM
these cells are not working that good and for the price i could buy two sets of R1 WORKS and have little less issues

Ibrake Ifry
2008.11.02, 11:53 PM
i bought a pack 2 weeks ago and have had no problems. Charging them in series at 1 amp with 3mv delta peak. THey have great punch and last pretty long with it

JuniorWKR
2008.11.13, 01:05 PM
Ive been doin some research and have been on the phone with Orion and it seems that there is just to much to do in order to get these orion 750 batteries to work and not vent. I have also been reading some reviews from private companies and i agree when they state that the intellect 750's r still the fastest batteries on the market. I have 4 sets of matched r1's, 2 sets of matched orion 900's and my unmatched outta the box intellect 750's r still the fastest. as far as my awd, nothin is faster in that car than the r1's charged at 2 amps... i run a power cap on the awd which helps bring the punch back from charging at 2 amps... but i must say those r1's charged at 2 amps delivers alot of linear power for a long time... also when charged at 2 amps they dont slow down... they run fast to the end then dump... just a little food for thought i guess.

JuniorWKR
2008.11.14, 02:20 PM
i tried out a new charger last night with these batteries and it seemed to give me great success with these batteries... i used the 8 cell maha charger and charged them using the soft charge mode... i believe it charges the bateries at .7 or .8 and on soft mode it doesnt allow the batteries to peak... i didnt have not one battery vent on me and the performance was outstanding as the charger didnt oveheat the batteries right before the race... i think this charger is a great inexpensive tool to have for race nights which also lightens up the load of luggin around chargers, power supllys, and trays... also lets u concentrate more on driving then watching ur batteries...

bermbuster
2008.11.14, 06:04 PM
My opinion might change if a Team Orion rep could explain the venting of so many 750SHO cells, or if R1wurks or another company begins selling matched-packs of 750SHO cells.

If a cell matcher/zapper uses those cells they will sort out the bad cells but I have a feeling a matched set may be about $40....(cost of bad cells)

Felix2010
2008.11.14, 08:47 PM
Glad to hear you some success with the Orion 750's JuniorWKR. Maha makes good chargers, I have a MHC-9000. But I just can't shake the fear that I'ma wreck it if I use it to charge the Orion 750's. About the Intellects, I still love them. The original and still great cells.
bermbuster, I have the same feeling as you - matched packs of the Orion 750's are probably not going to be selling for under $20/pack like the other matched cells are right now. I still don't know how good these Orion 750's are, I only have 3 good cells out of 8. If they are as good as some say they are, then I might be willing to shell out the extra ca$h to try a matched set. We shall see.:)

JuniorWKR
2008.11.15, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear you some success with the Orion 750's JuniorWKR. Maha makes good chargers, I have a MHC-9000. But I just can't shake the fear that I'ma wreck it if I use it to charge the Orion 750's. About the Intellects, I still love them. The original and still great cells.
bermbuster, I have the same feeling as you - matched packs of the Orion 750's are probably not going to be selling for under $20/pack like the other matched cells are right now. I still don't know how good these Orion 750's are, I only have 3 good cells out of 8. If they are as good as some say they are, then I might be willing to shell out the extra ca$h to try a matched set. We shall see.:)

I wouldnt give up on the orions just yet... after finding out how to charge them without venting the were very impressive... and faster than the intellects... the orions just dont like the heat or the peaking... but thats ok cause they dont need them... a 90 to 95% CHARGE IS SUFFICIANT ENOUGH... im also gonna try and get my hands on a couple of intellect matched packs to see how that works out for me... we run on a smaller track and need to get up and go very quickly in order to stay in the front... and it just doesnt seem that we can get what we r lookin for with gearing when we run stock motor class (any motor that doesnt require fets...) so im gonna stick with the intellects for qualifying and the orions for the mains... and hopefully soon i will be able to get both in matched packs...

JuniorWKR
2008.11.18, 01:54 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to update u that im still using the 8 cell maha charger with the orion 750's and having great success.... when done right these batteries r screamin fast....

lugnutz
2008.11.18, 09:15 PM
thanks for the info but i hope you saw what i posted on the track thread on how to do this with the other chargers

JuniorWKR
2008.11.19, 08:49 AM
thanks for the info but i hope you saw what i posted on the track thread on how to do this with the other chargers

Yes i saw that... that is just way to much work for me... LOL... plus i dont have any of those chargers so it would be a huge investment for a $20 pack of batteries... right now i have the 4 cell maha powerx and the 8 cell maha...

Felix2010
2009.04.23, 11:02 AM
I broke-out my Orion 750SHO cells again and I'm experimenting with them.

I think I may have judged these cells wrong, at least to some extent. I have 3 sets, and 9 out of 12 of the cells have vented at least once; Most 2 or more times. So I charge them in series with my MuchMore Cell Master Platinum using the old-school plastic Atomic "linear" rack (Really good charge rack!).

I am a believer in examining all aspects of something when determining how "good" it is. With batteries this would be:

> Peak Voltage
> Charge Capacity
> Discharge time/capacity - For these cells @3.0Amps 0.9v cutoff (Sometimes 0.7v cutoff)
> And Internal Resistance (IR). IR, IMO, is a critical piece of the puzzle because it determines how well a cell is able to maintain its voltage under high load. If a cell has a high IR then it will tend to "Soften" when running hot motors because it is trying to keep up with the high amp demand. It isn't able to "push" out the current as fast. When a motor demands high current, the voltage can drop dramatically in a cell with too high IR resulting in poor punch - And Power.

I've been running IR (and the other tests) on my cells and I was very surprised in a very good way when I performed a few cycles with my Orion 750SHO's - They had the lowest IR among all of my cells! Here's a quick cell-IR breakdown, per pack of 4 cells(Best pack is shown):

Team Orion 750SHO cells - 145 milliOhms
Intellects (unmatched) - 206 milliOhms
Team Scream matched - 212 milliOhms
R1wurks Team Orion 900HV Pro-Comp matched - 212 milliOhms

Let me say I am not positive which IR-measurement the Cell Master uses. There are 2 ways of measuring IR: Actual IR and Average IR. I believe my findings are the latter, Average IR. When checking with John from Team Scream he advertises (Most) his TSR matched cells as having an IR of 10-15. I think this is Actual IR, which I believe is considered the "better" of the 2 measurements.

For the last week only a couple times have a had a 750SHO cell hiss and leak. And the leakage was tiny. As JuniorWKR said, these cells do seem to vent less with time. I am starting to believe that for the Orion 750's leaking is normal, due to the VMAXX process as the Team Orion rep told Junior. For all other AAA cells I've tried, leaking is definitely not good.

I have yet to try R1wurks' 750's. From pics they seem to have the 4 big vents on the positive pole, same as the Orion 750's. But I haven't read of any leaking from the R1 750's.

Just some food for thought:D

Tjay
2009.04.23, 02:04 PM
Thanks for sharing Larry. Here's my updated review.

Team Orion 750mah: Can be very Punchy for 4-6mins, perfect for stock cars. They vent/leak but doesn't seem to affect the performance. Runtime is good enough for 2wd stock but I will not use it for any race events. They are not consistent. $16/set

R1 wurks 750mah matched: Consistent, has more punch than R1/TSR 900mah matched cells but not more than TO750's. Definitely a good choice for 2wd stock and 2wd mod cars. $25/set

Team Scream 900 matched: Perfect for AWD/2WD mod cars, it is very consistent. The power delivery is smooth all through out the 10 min mains. $18/set

Team Orion 900's: Consistent, Reliable, Efficient and can the punch can be comparable to TO750's and all this for $10/set

Currently I use: TO900mah, TO750mah, R1750 matched and TSR900 matched. I will test the "un-matched" 750mah by R1's.

Felix2010
2009.04.24, 05:25 PM
Thank you Tjay for sharing your info:D

I read on here Bill Crotty liked his regular (unmatched) Orion 900HV's. He wrote that his kept getting better with time.

For $10 the Team Orion 900HV AAA's are a solid choice.

I should say that my Team Scream matched 900's are a bit old. When I got them directly from Team Scream they were hella punchy and powerful. When new they had it all: High-Voltage, Great Capacity, and Very-Low Internal Resistance. I am positive that my cells are showing their age when I test them. I mean to buy another couple packs to re-test.

The Orion 750's I agree totally with you Tjay. They have redeemed themselves in part. Now I find myself reaching for them over the others.:o I haven't had a chance to analyze the Orion 750SHO cells one at a time though. I am not risking one leaking and ruining my MAHA MHC-9000. I have charged/tested a single AAA before using a charge tray and my Cell Master, But this is very time consuming. I am not sure how the Orion 750's are reliability-wise for racing.

I am looking forward to any info on the R1 unmatched 750's you can give Tjay. The $25/pack is pushing me away from the R1 matched 750's.

I forgot about the TRP 900's which seem to be popular. @ $10/pack I should try a pack of these when they are back in-stock.

I still am a big Intellect 750 fan:D

mk2kompressor
2009.04.25, 04:19 AM
ill throw in my findings too,

orion 750sho unmatched,amazing punch in my awd will last the full 8 min hfay races we run with ease.
all show as having around 720mah on break in,similar to my intellects.
not one has vented on my maha @700mah charge,but i havent tried to re-peak before a race on the muchmore as i do with my other batts.
i thought my intellects where good but these are better:)
this is all based on one pack though i use the 900hv matched using the maha for most of my racing.

Felix2010
2009.04.28, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your input Mk2.:) The fact that you use your unmatched Orion 750SHO's for HFAY races gives me some more confidence in running them. I have only charged my Orion 750's in series and they average mid-to-high 600's in mAh for capacity.

For me, a cell like the Orion 750SHO is good not just for Stock racing, but also I wouldn't exclude them from Modified class either. Some guys will probably tend to shy-away from these cells for Modified in favor of a more "smooth" cell with a steady, smooth power delivery. Because the Orion 750's have such a low IR they are going to be punchy for sure. They are also capable of providing consistent power to Modified motors that pull high(er) Amps for races.

When a motor such as a Z2 or an ANIMA gets put through some paces it can pull a wide range of current. When a motor demands a large boost of current, the battery's voltage can drop. This is where low IR comes in. The low IR means the cell's current can flow hard and fast without depleting the cell's voltage as much as a cell with a higher IR.

On large tracks, especially ones with long straightaways batteries like the Orion 750's will not suffer voltage fade and will be ready when you hit the throttle for fastest wind-up.

R1WURKS
2009.04.29, 06:17 PM
Felix, if you feel that the R1wurks matched 750 is too expensive, i think you should try the "unmatched" one for $15 per pack.:)

Felix2010
2009.04.30, 10:23 AM
Felix, if you feel that the R1wurks matched 750 is too expensive, i think you should try the "unmatched" one for $15 per pack.:)

I am definitely considering it.:) I am just waiting to hear Tjay's review of the unmmatched R1 750's on here. If he is as impressed with the unmatched R1 750's as he is with the matched R1 750's then I will go with the unmatched packs. Otherwise I will be trying the matched R1 750's.:)

Tjay
2009.04.30, 12:34 PM
I am definitely considering it.:) I am just waiting to hear Tjay's review of the unmmatched R1 750's on here. If he is as impressed with the unmatched R1 750's as he is with the matched R1 750's then I will go with the unmatched packs. Otherwise I will be trying the matched R1 750's.:)

Hi Larry,

Sorry I haven't had time to test stuff lately. I am re-learning how to drive... seriously. I'm getting tips from top drivers/veterans and trying absorb as much as I can before PN Worlds. I feel slower but I think it's the proper way of driving. Anyhow, about the unmatched 750's. I will test it and compare it with TO750mah, R1 750 matched and R1 750 unmatched. I will test it on the clock and post the results here.

On the other hand my customers has been telling me that the matched R1 and unmatched R1 feels exactly the same. We will see...

Felix2010
2009.05.01, 02:58 PM
Thank you TJay:) I'll check on here later my friend.

Tjay
2009.05.04, 06:58 PM
Thanks for waiting Larry.

I have been running my 750 R1 unmatched batts at least twice a day since Thursday.

Here are the results:
Matched 750 R1 = best lap, 9.84/10 mins course/ Mean time .3
Unmatched 750 R1 = best lap, 9.87/10 mins course/ Mean time .3
TO 750 = best lap, 9.80/10 mins course/ Mean time .3

How does it feel?
Matched 750 R1 = no torque/punch coming out of the corner but very, very consistent all through out the 10 mins.
Unmatched 750 R1 = felt exactly the same as the matched R1 750 batts
TO 750 = off the charger (warm), the car is very torqy/punchy! Even if I use the batts a day later, the punch is still there.

Which one would I buy?
750 R1 unmatched batteries. Because it is very consistent. Right off the package, this thing was pumping 789mah with no leak! Everytime I charge it and put it on my car, the power feels the same from the last time I ran it. Unlike Team Orion's 750, everytime I run this batts off the charger, the feel is different. Sometimes they're punchy as hell and sometimes it feels like a cell just crap out on me.

Thanks,
TJ

Gofast
2009.05.04, 07:49 PM
TJ,

How do you charge the R1Wurks750s? I heard people said if you charge them at 2A/3A then they'll be real punchy. My personal experience with the 1 pack of unmatched that I have is not that impressive. I somehow always reach for the TO750s for the mains on a tight track and the TRP900s for bigger tracks such as the KO race track.

Tjay
2009.05.04, 08:04 PM
Others like to charge their batts to 2.5 amps and it is very punchy on the first 2 mins but after that, your timing is off because of the drop in power. For me, I only charge my batts to 1 amp. During the race on Friday, I ran my 750 R1 unmatched batts on all three qualifiers without peaking it or recharging it. Same batts for all the 3, 5 mins qualifier. Did it feel like it dropped? No. It was very consistent on all 3 quals dropping 9.90's from 1st qual to 3rd qual.

TO 750's are only good for dropping hot laps during practice.

Action B
2009.05.04, 09:32 PM

I have been running my 750 R1 unmatched batts at least twice a day since Thursday.

Here are the results:

How does it feel?
Matched 750 R1 = no torque/punch coming out of the corner but very, very consistent all through out the 10 mins.
TO 750 = off the charger (warm), the car is very torqy/punchy! Even if I use the batts a day later, the punch is still there.

Any chance of a blind test? Have a friend stick the batteries in your car and not tell you which ones your running, then take lap times and describe the cars "feel". I'd be real interested in seeing the results of that test.

Tjay
2009.05.05, 01:19 PM
Any chance of a blind test? Have a friend stick the batteries in your car and not tell you which ones your running, then take lap times and describe the cars "feel". I'd be real interested in seeing the results of that test.

That's possible but then the team orion 750's are very inconsistent. It's hard to pick a "race" cell. Sometimes with the same exact pack that felt like a mod car today will have the dead cell feel the next day.

Trust me, a good TO 750's will out run the R1 750's within 4-6 mins race on a short track. However, 10 mins race with the same size track as the PN regional layout, the TO 750 will drop/flatten out so fast and you'll have to relearn your driving while the R1 is consistently going around the track on that entire race.

Roger
2009.05.05, 06:41 PM
Hummm, thats what you've been doing during our 10 minute underground races :cool: (heheh). Lets set up the cones on the track again.

Felix2010
2009.05.09, 04:01 AM

Here are the results:

How does it feel?

Which one would I buy?
750 R1 unmatched batteries. Because it is very consistent. Right off the package, this thing was pumping 789mah with no leak! Everytime I charge it and put it on my car, the power feels the same from the last time I ran it. Unlike Team Orion's 750, everytime I run this batts off the charger, the feel is different. Sometimes they're punchy as hell and sometimes it feels like a cell just crap out on me.

Thanks,
TJ

TJ,

Thank you for the details of your battery testing. About your comment about the Matched 750 R1's not having any torque/punch coming out of the corner, this really surprises me. And you wrote the unmatched 750 R1's performed the same as the matched R1 750's. In your opinion TJ what makes the 750 R1 cells a better investment than the R1 990 UHO matched or unmatched cells that are $6-7 cheaper than the R1 matched 750 or R1 unmatched 750 cells, respectively?

I have to say again that my first reviews of the Orion 750's were way off. I didn't realize venting was an eventuality with these cells do to Orion's VMAXX process. It sounds odd I know - "Venting" = normal. As of now though I'm believing what Orion has said about this happening with the TO 750's (ONLY the TO 750's. All other AAA cells should NOT leak!). After about 5 charges, each pack of my Orion 750's has not leaked again; The IR is CrAzY low; And runtime is very good, solid 10 mins/pack.

When the R1 750's are back in-stock everywhere I'ma still try 'em.

Tjay
2009.05.09, 04:37 AM
It depends on what class you're planning on running. I personally like the 990's matched only for mod class. For stock, I like the 750's.

I don't know what it is but my 750 r1 unmatched are just super smooth and consistent. I still get 780mah off of them and they last forever.Way longer than TO 750.

Gigibesi
2009.05.10, 10:21 AM
i still not sure to buy either Team Ori 750 or 900HV (forget about others brand as my lhs don sell em) is 900HV a all rounder is it good for 70t race? (dont leak not consistent?)??? or should i go get TO 750 SHO which is more very punchy but easy to vent and not inconsistent??:confused:

racerlog
2009.05.10, 01:25 PM
i still not sure to buy either Team Ori 750 or 900HV (forget about others brand as my lhs don sell em) is 900HV a all rounder is it good for 70t race? (dont leak not consistent?)??? or should i go get TO 750 SHO which is more very punchy but easy to vent and not inconsistent??:confused:

buy 750 for stock

Yvan
2009.05.13, 11:54 AM
Hi from spain.

I would like just to tell you my point of view about the TO 750SHO.
Disappointed, so far, I was expecting more push, but they have even quite less than TO 900.
I have done 3 discharging and charging operation:
- disacharge at 800 and 1000Mah
- charging at 800Mha.
I bought 3 packs as I was thinking in putting together the best 4.
The reason why I bought batteries is because in my club, in Madrid, we have a stock championship. In order to reduce the differences between the good drivers and the others, we have all to run with the PN stock motor and a gear 7. So, the batterie are very important.
But for the moment, I am running very very slow with them, far from TO 900!
But I will keep in using them in the hope that soon, they will wake up.

Tjay
2009.05.13, 12:50 PM
Thank you for sharing Yvan.

Gigibesi: TO750's are very inconsistent but can be very fast at times. If you want batteries that can be use for competition and practice, I would suggest to get the Team Orion 900's. I think this is the most reliable, more runtime battery you can buy for $10/set.

Yvan
2009.05.14, 01:22 PM
Thank you Tjay.

I have 7 packs of TO900 and with my Powerex, I have already started to selct them.

But the main reason why I bought the 750SHO, it is because I read many goods things about them. And as I am participating in a Stock Championship in my club, I thought they were going to be better.
But thatīs not the case, at least for the moment.
Well, everyone can make some mistakes.

JuniorWKR
2009.05.14, 02:38 PM
the trick to getting some conistency outta the 750s are to beat the helloutta them... what works for me and the other guys at my lhs is to discharge at 3 amps, rest for 15 mins and charge at 1 amp (while keeping a fan blowing on them to aid in venting) do this right before you race and right before you go out after they have cooled from charging put them back on the charger and peak them again at 1 amp.... this helps us out alot and gives tremendous amount of punch... 2 much for mod, perfect for 70t....

Gigibesi
2009.05.16, 12:03 PM
i tot that by cooling the battery during chargin will make the battery prone to overcharging?

i am still curently charging at 0.7 amps whihc work for SOME of the cell and still some still do venteven at 0.7 amp charging..:mad:

So the battery for SURE will leak but it still work right??

JuniorWKR: is the method u using now really work? or still unbpreditable just like playing lottery?

for the price of the 750 u can buy few more pack of 900HV without worrying abt venting (unless u abuse it lol) and all the issue surround the 750..:mad: BUT the punch is unbelievable even on stock motor.. lol

Skv012a
2009.05.16, 12:07 PM
Why not charge at 2-300mA? Slow? Yes, but thats better than venting, right?

Gigibesi
2009.05.16, 12:12 PM
Why not charge at 2-300mA? Slow? Yes, but thats better than venting, right?

if u said so its better not to buy it at all.....

Felix2010
2009.05.17, 06:40 AM
i tot that by cooling the battery during chargin will make the battery prone to overcharging?

i am still curently charging at 0.7 amps whihc work for SOME of the cell and still some still do venteven at 0.7 amp charging..:mad:

So the battery for SURE will leak but it still work right??

JuniorWKR: is the method u using now really work? or still unbpreditable just like playing lottery?

for the price of the 750 u can buy few more pack of 900HV without worrying abt venting (unless u abuse it lol) and all the issue surround the 750..:mad: BUT the punch is unbelievable even on stock motor.. lol

To touch on the points you brought up Gigi:) :

>I would not "cool" any cells while charging (For example, use a fan to blow air on the pack while charging), for the reason you mentioned.

>Many guys here have had their Orion 750SHO's vent on them. ALL Orion 750's may not vent. If some 750's do vent, this is said to be "Normal" according to a Team Orion representative. Venting should not have any negative effect on these cells (Venting is only OK for these cells!).

>Charge Orion 750's at 0.9A every time. Eventually the cells which vented will "stabilize" of sorts, and they'll cease their venting. All of my Orion 750's have vented, pretty much at least all of them anyway. After 5 cycles, give-or-take, mine have all stopped leaking and charge very normal.:)

>Junior's method is solid IMO. It is a good idea to check each cell for voltage+discharge(Discharge @3A). This will help protect against a bad cell causing an "unpredictable" pack; Unpredictable pack = unpredictable performance on the track.:(

>Orion 900HV cells are excellent cells. They do not and should not leak. Great performance & value. BUT! According to my research the Orion 750SHO is a superior cell in the punch/speed dept's by a decent amount. Many top pilots rave about the Orion 750SHO cells for Stock racing.
The Orion 900's are no slouch either for Stock racing as the have impressive voltage, capacity, and Internal Resistance(IR) stats. It all depends on how much driving you do, whether or not discerning between the 900's and 750's is clear.
IMO with a steady finger on the throttle, Orion 750 cells can make very good mod-class cells. These cells can maintain speed under high load like you can encounter when running some "hot" modified motors. A "hot" motor can suck current out of cells very fast, which can lead to sudden voltage-drop and loss of punch under hard acceleration/slowing,stopping/then hard acceleration.

Some of my experience, hope it helps.:)

Gigibesi
2009.05.17, 08:44 AM
i am actually not worried about the venting on the battery which i know it will still work when it vented.

I am more worried about the liquid that came out of the battery when they vented which formed crystal (like car battery) on either end of the battery terminal which can damage any cell beside it. the liquid still leak no amtter it is charge or discharged. :eek:

@felix: so you curently charge your SHO at 0.9 amp?:confused: sure it is very very very hot to touch since the temperature when i charge at 0.7 amp is already hot.

btw i am using MAHA individual 4 cell charger (forgoten the name)

Action B
2009.05.17, 01:03 PM
To touch on the points you brought up Gigi:) :

>I would not "cool" any cells while charging (For example, use a fan to blow air on the pack while charging), for the reason you mentioned.

You guys can speculate all you want, I've been charging mine this way since I got them without venting. I'm not changing a thing. Maybe its luck, maybe its the cooling, I really don't know or care either way. I can tell you that cooling them definitely hasn't MADE them vent.

Felix2010
2009.05.19, 02:29 AM
Gigi,

Yes I charge the Orion 750SHO @ 0.9A, every time. The cells aren't too hot right off the charger. They're more warm than hot.

For the cells that vent, try to wipe any leaked fluid off as soon as possible. If there is some mild corrosion or "crystals", try taking a toothbrush any some solvent and lightly scrubbing the affected area until completely clean. This is what I had to do with most of my SHO's.

ActionB,

If cooling the cells works for you then I agree, " Don't fix what isn't broken". I just have read that cooling cells during charging can affect the charging process.

Skv012a
2009.05.19, 03:00 AM
if u said so its better not to buy it at all.....

How so? Its just called huge reward on the raceday for 9 hour preparation the night before. Just because you can't safely jam a set 30 mins before your race doesn't make them bad.

If they lose their punch when charged slowly, then scratch my comment.

Action B
2009.05.19, 11:55 AM
If cooling the cells works for you then I agree, " Don't fix what isn't broken". I just have read that cooling cells during charging can affect the charging process.

Keep in mind that with just fans, you can never lower the temperature of something below that of the ambient air around it. I'm not sticking these cells in the freezer or anything. I'm not really "cooling" them I'm simply stopping them from heating up too much. They will never get "cooler" than room temperature, that's an impossibility.

I'm not suggesting you stick them into a freezer while they charge, though I'm not against trying it either.

Also, my fast charger comes with a fan built into it, so it was designed from the factory to stop the cells from heating up. Many chargers are like this. It would be a huge risk on their part to create a dangerous product.

Skv012a
2009.05.20, 02:20 AM
Say guys, how do Intellect 750s compare to the rest of this class?

Gigibesi
2009.05.21, 01:47 AM
@felix: is it ok to up the amps to 0.9 since i charging 0.7 all the while? what will happend?? is it thing will be just like normal (other than charging time is lower)?

intellect 750 is not avalable in my club but i heard its kinda explosive like sho.

Felix2010
2009.05.21, 10:26 AM
Gigi - I own the MAHA MHC-9000 Wizard One charger. The reason I do not use it to charge the Orion 750SHO cells is because if these cells vent, the acid can damage the circuit board inside the charger. I only use my MuchMore Cell Master with a separate charging tray.

Going up to 0.9A from 0.7A should not be a problem. But let me ask, have all of your cells vented once? Or are some cells still 100% vent-free? Here's the thing: After my SHO's vented once, the amount of acid vented was less and less with each charge until after 3-5 charge cycles none of the cells vented any more at all. If you have some SHO cells that have not vented I would keep a close eye on them while charging them @0.9A. If you hear hissing or see leakage then you can catch it right away and wipe it off, potentially preventing damage to your charger. I know this is a pain, but I am just afraid of the acid leaking down into the MAHA charger.

I am a big fan of Intellect 750's. For a short while on here guys were experiencing some venting with them. I also had one cell vent on me. But this was unusual. I have 4 new packs I've bought in the past month and no cells have leaked, even when I charged them @1.2A (As an experiment.) Normally I charge them @0.8A or 0.9A. Intellects have excellent Internal Resistance and very good voltage. Good as Orion 900HV's IMO.

Gigibesi
2009.05.21, 10:54 PM
Gigi - I own the MAHA MHC-9000 Wizard One charger. The reason I do not use it to charge the Orion 750SHO cells is because if these cells vent, the acid can damage the circuit board inside the charger. I only use my MuchMore Cell Master with a separate charging tray.

Going up to 0.9A from 0.7A should not be a problem. But let me ask, have all of your cells vented once? Or are some cells still 100% vent-free? Here's the thing: After my SHO's vented once, the amount of acid vented was less and less with each charge until after 3-5 charge cycles none of the cells vented any more at all. If you have some SHO cells that have not vented I would keep a close eye on them while charging them @0.9A. If you hear hissing or see leakage then you can catch it right away and wipe it off, potentially preventing damage to your charger. I know this is a pain, but I am just afraid of the acid leaking down into the MAHA charger.

oh noes i guess some of the liquid actually does vent in my maha charger but for its still working for now.

to ans your question not all my SHO has vented even tho there are charged at 0.9 amps. So if i heard any leaking i should quickly pull it off and wipe it then continue charging?

Felix2010
2009.05.23, 08:18 PM
It's not a definite that all your Orion 750's will vent. I just ask because once they do vent, the amount they vent decreases with each charge to where the cells no longer vent.

Like I mentioned I use a separate RC charger + charging tray. After the first cells vented and ruined the nice-orange anodizing on my $30+ PN charge tray I didn't watch the charging too closely :( I let the 750SHO's finish their charge cycle, and afterwards checked each cell for venting and wiped-off any acid with a terry-cloth and a little warm water.

I would say yes to what you wrote: If you catch a cell venting, take it off, wipe it down, then continue charging. It might be good to watch that cell for the rest of its charge cycle though. This is the PITA part of using the MAHA/Lacrosse chargers with Orion 750's.

Maybe a layer of paper towel underneath the positive terminal of the cell and/or a bit of paper towel stuffed down into the positive-side hole of the cells slots might prevent damage to the charger - And save you the agony of watching cells charging.:) If a cell leaks a lot this might not be enough protection. But from experience the Orion 750's don't leak a lot of fluid. Something maybe to try...

Skv012a
2009.05.23, 10:29 PM
So no one answered my question- does charging them at .1-.5A decrease their punch at all or not? And again, if it doesn't, just charge these overnight with your free chargers and there should be no problems.

EMU
2009.05.24, 03:09 AM
Yes, charging at lower amperage will decrease the punch. Although, I noticed that it wasnt that much slower with the SHO cells compared to the Orion 900, R1wurks 900 or TRP 900. Which benefit much more from an aggressive charge rate. My SHO cells seem almost as punchy charged at 500mA as they do at 1000mA.

If using cells for practice, I would recommend charging them at a lower rate. Since the additional punch from an aggressive charge only lasts about 3-5 minutes anyway, and you are essentially damaging the cell everytime you charge aggressively (over 1C).

If you charge them aggressively, you have to use them shortly after to have the extra punch. If they sit for a while, then they will slow down a little. When the cells are warm, they are faster than when they are cool.

bamaboy379
2009.06.08, 12:44 PM
Well they are good only for racing not practice but if you can afford it buy some R1 Wurks 750 UHO's. Very, very pucnhy :rolleyes::cool::D;):p:o:(

ZicZicZoom
2009.06.09, 12:29 AM
if i were you i would not buy the 750 SHO batteries because all of the people at my track say that they are very inconsistent. like you could buy one pack and they are the punchiest things in the world and the next pack u buy could feel dead or that is what the people i race with say. the UHO 750's from R1 like bamaboy said are expensive but amazing in performance. I use 900HV orions which are perfect for practice and with the PN 70t stock motor and ball bearings i can get a good 20 min to half an hour of hard continuous racing out of them. so overall i would not recommend the SHO batteries