PDA

View Full Version : 2008/2009 Winter Season Discussion

AtlRC
2008.10.04, 06:21 PM
Hi all,

Here is what I propose for this season's racing schedule. I've tried several different variations, but this one seems to avoid most holidays better that the others I tried.

Race Time
-------------
Racing Starts: 12:00pm

Season Schedule
----------------------
10 races -- Dates as follows (all Saturdays):

Race #1 -- Nov 22
Race #2 -- Dec 6
Race #3 -- Dec 20
Race #4 -- Jan 3
Race #5 -- Jan 17
Race #6 -- Jan 31
Race #7 -- Feb 14
Race #8 -- Feb 28
Race #9 -- Mar 14
Race #10 -- Mar 28

As to location, I am currently thinking of a couple of places (talking to one of them) near where Hobby Mart was in the Alpharetta/Roswell area. If we can get into either one, it'll be a great win for our organization. These places would have great visibility and could attract many new racers. I believe these locations would provide better visibility than we had Hobby Mart! Both have food, great accomodations... and possilby games to play too! I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet as to where this could be, but I should know within the next week or two. If all else fails, we can still run in my basement and possibly Russ's sometime (totally up to Russ).

Please provide feedback as to time, schedule and location. I'd like to accomdate as many people as possible. Please let us know if you plan to race with us this season so we can have an idea of what to expect. Hope to hear from everyone and hope to see ya soon!

-Patrick

pinoyboy
2008.10.04, 10:24 PM
I guess that schedule will work for me, but only time will tell. I'm just glad to see the race schedule. Actually, I might miss one race for spring break, but I guess thats fine

If we get a public place to race, I'd be willing to lend my RCP track to race on since I currently do not have anywhere to put it.:)

AtlRC
2008.10.05, 09:13 AM
I guess that schedule will work for me, but only time will tell. I'm just glad to see the race schedule. Actually, I might miss one race for spring break, but I guess thats fine

If we get a public place to race, I'd be willing to lend my RCP track to race on since I currently do not have anywhere to put it.:)

Thanks Hank... I may be looking for an RCP setup to borrow or buy if we do find a place to put it.

As far as points and prizes, it won't matter if you miss a race. We'll still use a racers top 6 races out of 10 (for points and prizes).

russp
2008.10.05, 11:44 AM
Thanks Hank... I may be looking for an RCP setup to borrow or buy if we do find a place to put it.

As far as points and prizes, it won't matter if you miss a race. We'll still use a racers top 6 races out of 10 (for points and prizes).

My basement is always available as a place to race. :)

hpgod
2008.10.06, 05:42 AM
The dates look fine. I will miss few but should make most. I have my cars ready. A Open location definately will help our club grow.

bemoore
2008.10.14, 08:40 AM
I'll race this year. The dates look fine, but I expect that I'll miss one or two. Regarding racing at a public venue, I think it would help us a lot. I've had one person interested until he found out we were "only racing in basements". Personally, I prefer basement racing, but I have to admit that we had better turnouts at Hobby Mart.

Have the class rules been determined?

hpgod
2008.10.14, 11:44 AM
BILLY
I think we decided to run open fet rule with the hfay 70t motor in 2 classes this year ( Stock and stock F1). My car is currently a mr02 with a stock am board and kept up just fine with hank using good batteries.

bemoore
2008.10.15, 06:57 AM
What's considered "good batteries" for stock?

russp
2008.10.15, 09:57 AM
What's considered "good batteries" for stock?

Well, I tried those Orion's and love them. I'm using 950 matched Orion's from a guy off ebay. I can't remember who he was though but Hank says he's on this site somewhere. He sells Level 1,2, and 3. I bought Level 2 matched cells and have been the most happy with those of any of my batteries. Orion has some new 750 mAh's out also that are suppossedly great. I think the store here sells them as does Brian on his salt lake mini-z website.

briankstan
2008.10.15, 10:12 AM
the batteries I have are the Team Scream Racing Matched batteries (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=145&products_id=347)

hpgod
2008.10.15, 10:42 AM
I plan on running the orion 900s and the orion 750s this season. The verdict is still out on the 750 as some say they are fragile to overcharging at a fast charge rate(over 0.5amps). I ran both on saterday. Others worth noting are the r1 works and team scream 900s. Hank has run them. The 900s can handle abuse at high charge rates. My duracell 30 minute charger in 1.7 amps on AAA setting.

There are others that are good in mod as they hold the voltage better under heavy load and do not overheat but we are only running stock (sanyo 1000s, better power 1000s).

I have tried ~ 8 other brands of cells and they are now in remotes and kids toys. I tend to buy only enough of the latest and greatest cells for the mains in a season as usually some new better cell comes along every year. I runs my main cells in the second Q also.

russp
2008.10.15, 11:57 AM
the batteries I have are the Team Scream Racing Matched batteries (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=145&products_id=347)

Oh yeah, sorry. I did buy a pack of these also from Brian but so far my preference is the Level 2 Orions. I have not done any careful testing between the two though to truly say anything other than my preference is for the Orions.

pinoyboy
2008.10.15, 07:38 PM
info about R1wurks batteries
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27913&highlight=r1wurks

shop.tinyrc.com has some packs for sale

hpgod
2008.10.30, 06:15 AM
Patrick
Did you have any luck in getting a public location to race at?

AtlRC
2008.11.03, 04:01 PM
I hope to know more by the end of this week. Until then, we'll plan on opening day in my basement. I'll let you know as soon as possible on the public facility.

russp
2008.11.10, 01:01 PM
Patrick, I still have your motors you will need. I don't have a good plan of how to get them to you before then right off. Let me know what you want to do.

pinoyboy
2008.11.10, 07:21 PM
I'm looking forward to the first race! I've made quite a bit of changes to my cars for Stock and F1. I've been doing some testing on the track and they seem a lot better, but still not sure how well it will translate onto Patrick's track.

I'm also looking to try 96mm wheelbase, but i'm not sure if the track is big enough to benefit from it. I think the low speed and on power traction might be more important. I guess we will see soon

I think I will start with a disc damper, and later, maybe see how well a side damper will work.

hpgod
2008.11.14, 06:09 AM
I pulled my F1 out last night and the front supension upright is cracked. I will be spending the weekend moving everything over to an old chassis and making a few minor tweaks to it for running stock.

I have a WTF also coming and should be running that on my mr02 next week also. I wish I had the money to try everthing but it will have to wait due to christmas.

pinoyboy
2008.11.14, 03:10 PM
I pulled my F1 out last night and the front supension upright is cracked. I will be spending the weekend moving everything over to an old chassis and making a few minor tweaks to it for running stock.

I have a WTF also coming and should be running that on my mr02 next week also. I wish I had the money to try everthing but it will have to wait due to christmas.

Good thing you checked it out ahead of time. After transferring everything, make sure and test as the F1 chassis are usually tweaked.

I might see if a friend of mine would like to check out the racing. Maybe he'll like it and want to attend regularly

hpgod
2008.11.17, 06:33 AM
I am in this race. I have to get family pictures made at 10 am though so I may be late. Please have me entered in stock and F1. The 02 is really dialed in so I look forward to the battle with Hank and Patrick.

russp
2008.11.17, 03:30 PM
I'm planning to be there. Guess I better take the time to get the f1's knuckles changed out. :)

AtlRC
2008.11.17, 04:47 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry I have been mostly absent from the forums. Hope to get my head back into racing now. Been a crazy busy summer "and fall".

Russ, I'll just get those motors from you on Saturday. Thanks for getting them for me!

As for public location, I'll fill you guys in Saturday. I'm still working on it. I think we can get one, just need to work out the details.

OK, here's a question. Would you guys want to make this first race a practice race and then add another race at the end of the year (April 4th)? Just a thought since I know everyone (including me) probaby has a bunch of setup and tweeking to do. Let me know. Doesn't matter to me.

Oh, and Hank... sorry but your new car was sitting here so long that I couldn't resist running it into the ground! Those batteries were good too... while they lasted. ;) No... it's still sitting here looking pretty (that is an awsome car... I love Porsches!).

-Patrick

pinoyboy
2008.11.17, 05:22 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry I have been mostly absent from the forums. Hope to get my head back into racing now. Been a crazy busy summer "and fall".

Russ, I'll just get those motors from you on Saturday. Thanks for getting them for me!

As for public location, I'll fill you guys in Saturday. I'm still working on it. I think we can get one, just need to work out the details.

OK, here's a question. Would you guys want to make this first race a practice race and then add another race at the end of the year (April 4th)? Just a thought since I know everyone (including me) probaby has a bunch of setup and tweeking to do. Let me know. Doesn't matter to me.

Oh, and Hank... sorry but your new car was sitting here so long that I couldn't resist running it into the ground! Those batteries were good too... while they lasted. ;) No... it's still sitting here looking pretty (that is an awsome car... I love Porsches!).

-Patrick

I wouldn't mind it being a practice. I'll definitely need to pick that Porsche up from you as I might need it the 29th.

Patrick, do you still happen to have the AWD? I was wondering if I could swap an mr-02 chassis for your MA-010 chassis if its ok with you.

AtlRC
2008.11.17, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't mind it being a practice. I'll definitely need to pick that Porsche up from you as I might need it the 29th.

Patrick, do you still happen to have the AWD? I was wondering if I could swap an mr-02 chassis for your MA-010 chassis if its ok with you.

Yeah, we can talk about some kind of trade on Saturday. I'm open to the possibility.

russp
2008.11.18, 08:27 AM
Hi guys,

-Patrick

Ok with me. You still need to get the new motors installed anyways so...

- Russ

hpgod
2008.11.18, 08:34 AM
hank
What part do you use for the m2 washers on your front wheels to keep the nut off the bearing?
I have no seen them on sites when I have looked. I

pinoyboy
2008.11.18, 11:41 AM
hank
What part do you use for the m2 washers on your front wheels to keep the nut off the bearing?
I have no seen them on sites when I have looked. I

I don't use any, I just tighten it up enough where the wheel still spins freely. RC kenon sells various shims. I've had some before that look like you could use for that purpose if you wanted.

pinoyboy
2008.11.21, 04:33 PM
see yall tomorrow

AtlRC
2008.11.21, 05:50 PM
see yall tomorrow

Bring it on! ;)

pinoyboy
2008.11.22, 05:07 PM
I had a lot of fun racing today. Everyone is getting faster and the new Hfay motor is great. See you guys next race:)

briankstan
2008.11.22, 05:29 PM
Glad to see you guys back into Mini-Z Racing. Glad you like the HFAY motor, Credit goes to PN for that. It's a great motor for sure.

Any chance you guys will be able to participate in the HFAY Large track Event? we will have Stock, F1 and Open as classes.

info is here: http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29757

if you guys can't participate in the regular OLPS series, this would be a great intro into the world of HFAY. ;)

Traveler
2008.11.23, 05:38 PM
Hi! I'll be in ATL on business on Dec. 8-9. Will this track you are talking about be available just to run on then, or do you just set it up for your races? I have an RCP track at home, but its not very large. Look forward to running a car on a larger track. Let me know and I can bring a car or two.

hpgod
2008.11.24, 06:27 AM
Hank
The screws for the F1 suspension. Did you get them online or from a local hobby shop?
I found m2x15s for the mr2g (spelling) but they are out of stock.
Also where did you get the m2 tap at? I have 2-56,4-40,m3,m4 but no m2 in my tools. Hobbytown in cumming hade nothing in M2.

That new rear suspension was so dialed in compared to mine. I had to baby my car on throttle and yours I could just punch it like my Mr02. That is a genious idea.

I have the everything but the screws and tap on the way.

pinoyboy
2008.11.24, 06:58 PM
I ended up getting my screws from mcmaster online. I bought M2x16, which were a little long, so I had to cut them down a bit to clear the body.;)

hpgod
2008.11.25, 08:57 AM
thanks hank
I think I have all the parts on the way.
Ps how light of oil are you on the top shock, 15,30wt etc or heavy 1000WT?

AtlRC
2008.11.26, 03:57 PM
Thanks everyone for coming out! It was fun! Looks like we'll have some good close races this year.

I've been out of town for a few days but will post the results from our "practice" session tonight or tomorrow.

AtlRC
2008.11.26, 08:55 PM
Hi! I'll be in ATL on business on Dec. 8-9. Will this track you are talking about be available just to run on then, or do you just set it up for your races? I have an RCP track at home, but its not very large. Look forward to running a car on a larger track. Let me know and I can bring a car or two.

Sorry, but currently our track is only available on race days. We may have a permentant place available in the near future with daily practice times, so if you are in the area again soon, be sure to check back with us!

Thanks,
-Patrick

Traveler
2008.12.03, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the response. My client just cancelled, so no trip to ATL next week. Will check back later when I have another trip down.

hpgod
2008.12.04, 09:04 AM
I am in this weekend. I am still trying to get my f1 back together with the new suspension. The ferrari body apears to be lower fitting in the back then hanks mclaran. I had to cutout the body some behind the exhaust pipe to clear the shocks.

Hank did you cut down the spacer section of the shock pivot balls?
Did you add a vent hole to the SAS shocks?

pinoyboy
2008.12.04, 09:20 AM
I am in this weekend. I am still trying to get my f1 back together with the new suspension. The ferrari body apears to be lower fitting in the back then hanks mclaran. I had to cutout the body some behind the exhaust pipe to clear the shocks.

Hank did you cut down the spacer section of the shock pivot balls?
Did you add a vent hole to the SAS shocks?

I didn't mess with the pivot balls, but I did put a hole in the shocks. Just heat up a tack and it goes through easily

hpgod
2008.12.04, 11:09 AM
I am getting very little up travel with the ferrari body even after removing a few mm from the body in that area. The winglet on the rear of the main body attaches at the point on the body just above the spring cup on the motor mount.
I am off work tommorrow so I may get some time to mess with it and test If I can get the kids take a nap.

hpgod
2008.12.30, 11:18 AM
Are we racing saterday?

AtlRC
2008.12.31, 11:59 AM
Are we racing saterday?

Yes, but I realize I forgot to post the event. I'm doing it now. Thanks.

hpgod
2009.01.06, 08:14 AM
Patrick did not realize that he had schedule with back to back weekends. He said he is going to shift all the remining races so it is every other week.
The next race should be 1-17.

AtlRC
2009.01.07, 08:46 PM
Patrick did not realize that he had schedule with back to back weekends. He said he is going to shift all the remining races so it is every other week.
The next race should be 1-17.

Thanks Art. I'll update the schedule to reflect the change tonight. Sorry for the confusion.