PDA

View Full Version : HFAY Large Track Race (December)

briankstan
2008.10.05, 01:46 PM
Ok, I am going to set up the HFAY large Track events for the 2 off months that we aren't running the standard HFAY OLPS. (December & June)

What I need to know is simply this.

What tracks kits do you have? I need to know this so I can setup a track the we can all run. I'd like to base this on at least the following guidelines.

3 wide L tracks (or equivelent)
4 wide inside corners (may or may not use all of them)

it looks like our base will be 8 x 17 tiles.

also what space do you have available, to setup the track.

please post up the kits that you have or your club has access to and I'll work on the design so we can get this run.

Rules will follow the existing HFAY rules.
No entry fee, but possibly some prizes. ;)

pinwc4
2008.10.05, 10:12 PM
We have the following:
4 Wide L's
1 Wide Oval
60 blank tiles
1 45 degree kit
8 inside corners

I will have to get a tape measure and check our space during our next race night. We have a really wide area as in the past we have setup 2 HFAY tracks plus a 7x7 square and still had room. It is just not very deep because of pillars.

imxlr8ed
2008.10.06, 11:24 AM
I know I can go 8 tiles wide in my basement (without having to cut tiles), I'll get the length tonight.

Hood
2008.10.06, 11:41 AM
We have plenty of the tracks that you are considering, even the 45s..

We don't have the Wide Oval tracks..
Space shouldn't be an issue as we have access to space for the PN size track..

With the success of the F1 class, I think this will have good support also..

Thanks for everything, Brian..

Hood

briankstan
2008.10.06, 01:42 PM
See post #29 for current track.

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=318478&postcount=29

mk2kompressor
2008.10.06, 03:11 PM
we have the room but not the track yet:(
jonny owned most of it and took it when he left,we should be able to have it by dec,if not it will be the next break

briankstan
2008.10.06, 03:57 PM
we have the room but not the track yet:(
jonny owned most of it and took it when he left,we should be able to have it by dec,if not it will be the next break

well, just beg, borrow or steal it from him ;)

mk2kompressor
2008.10.06, 04:30 PM
i already tried:(

pinwc4
2008.10.06, 08:41 PM
That track looks good for us. I look forward to running a large event with other HFAY participants.

I hope some of the other clubs that do not want to run small tracks see this and participate.

Dusty Weasle
2008.10.07, 04:10 AM
We have two options at Mini-AZ. Our primary location is DJ's which is the attached image. The catch with our space is the equipment. The grid shows the available spaces. The red squares are usable but we try to avoid them for access room.

The other location is a community room but its a longer drive for everyone. We have a solid 21x12 there (11 would leave room for the Marshals to squeeze by on far side of the track instead of running onto it).

wcrotty
2008.10.07, 10:07 AM
I was all excited until i saw the 45s......

We have a place now that can run big tracks.

briankstan
2008.10.07, 11:03 AM
I was all excited until i saw the 45s......

We have a place now that can run big tracks.

don't have them? This is just a beginning design. We would like you guys to run for sure so post up what track you have and we can create a design that everyone that wants to participate can run. :D

it looks like Mini-AZ would need a track that is 8 x 19 tiles, so it'll need a revision anyway. ;)

imxlr8ed
2008.10.07, 01:58 PM
Here's a print of DOW's maximum footprint for a layout, we have the Wide insides and the 45s, but I would recommend against the 45s because they eat up too much acreage.

There is a support column where the chicane is so if I don't have a turn there, I'll have to cut a tile.

Overalls are 18tL x 8tW... hope it works out!

wcrotty
2008.10.07, 04:17 PM
don't have them? This is just a beginning design. We would like you guys to run for sure so post up what track you have and we can create a design that everyone that wants to participate can run. :D

it looks like Mini-AZ would need a track that is 8 x 19 tiles, so it'll need a revision anyway. ;)

The track was perfect other then the 45s....i have a bunch of track just not 45s.

imxlr8ed
2008.10.07, 06:44 PM
Went ahead and did two new layouts for my basement... not really much I can do with the space down there (and that damn pole!), but it's certainly cheaper than renting a facility.

I can go around the pole if necessary, I had to for the last HFAY Event, but I can only go past the pole by about 2 or 3 more tiles there.

I don't want my club to restrict for others though, I can get a facility, but I dread lugging my track around.

briankstan
2008.10.07, 07:11 PM
I'm liking the first one. :)

mk2kompressor
2008.10.07, 07:35 PM
first one is good,looks similar to the pn track layout

Dusty Weasle
2008.10.08, 01:50 AM
We ran this one recently and it had a good flow to it, and worked great for the F1's. Catch is some would need a wider space for part of it.
(This is another Billy C design)

briankstan
2008.10.08, 10:54 AM
We ran this one recently and it had a good flow to it, and worked great for the F1's. Catch is some would need a wider space for part of it.
(This is another Billy C design)

nice design ! I would say that one is going to be to big for most clubs to setup. I have the track but, I don't think that would fit in our location either, and setting up outside in december is simply out of the question. Anyone know how an RCP track setup on Snow is? :eek:

imxlr8ed
2008.10.08, 12:38 PM
Would be fun to sculpt some banking and elevation changes... but then we'd have to release elevation prints so everyone shovels it out the same way. :rolleyes:

pinwc4
2008.10.08, 02:26 PM
Yeah, something as big as Dusty Weasle posted may be more for a regional or national HFAY event.....

I like the first design imxlr8ed posted also.

Since this is a larger track event should we consider increasing the minimum number of drivers or the length of the race?

imxlr8ed
2008.10.09, 12:03 PM
I would go with a minimum of four drivers because sometimes... that's all a club can get. I wouldn't rule out the usual 3 either, but four minimum seems to make more sense. Obviously no limits to how many could run at once though!

8 minutes seems to be the norm, but I have no issues with 10 minute mains.

I did forget to add bumpouts to that first layout... if it gets picked, I'll leave that up to Brian.

So we're planning to run 70t for Stock 2WD/AWD and the same for F1 right (same as regular series)?

Also... I would guess Mod is open, meaning any ESC, motor, 4 NIMH cells and any tire? (but must obviously be 1/28th).

Would be cool if we could all do the event on the same day too... would feel more like an "event" then!

briankstan
2008.10.09, 12:23 PM
I think we should leave it at 3, some clubs only have 3 and I don't want to exclude anyone.

we can run the 3 classes if that is what the you guys want.

I also like 10 minute mains for the larger track. I'd even go 12 but that would be really pushing it for the modified cars.

stock - existing HFAY rules.
Mod - PN Modified rules
F1 - existing HFAY rules.

imxlr8ed
2008.10.09, 01:34 PM
I'm cool with three minimum... sometimes that's all we have showing up too!

Thanks for the rules clarification!

hrdrvr
2008.10.09, 06:43 PM
Brian, would folks not currently running in HFAY be invited to run these events with you? Ive been trying to get our group interested in running HFAY, but at the beginning of summer poeple werent interested in alotting time into racing Zs. With this being in winter, and right before the next season starts, maybe I can get some interest up for HFAY. Some of our guys were also put off by having to race on a smaller track. Im hoping this large layout night will be what I need to convince them that running with people all over the world makes it worth running a smaller layout once a month.

If we can run, we have 3 wide Ls, a 45 kit, and a wide raduis turn kit (4 turns). Ideally we run 8x17 tiles but we can stretch the lentgh to 19 if neccesary.

Since you guys are talking about something in the same size range you could look at some of the layouts Ive posted in our local thread.

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28267

Page 1, 2 & 6 have layout pics. I also recently drew up a couple new ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/CFI03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/CFI02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/CFI01.jpg

briankstan
2008.10.09, 07:25 PM
Landon,

yes we will have most if not all of the clubs participating in this event. the objective is to come up with a track that the maximum # of people can run. Even those that aren't currently participating in HFAY are more than welcome to run this event.

there are no entry fees, and I'll be putting up some sort of price from my store for these events.

I'll nail down the track design as we get more info from the other clubs as to there available space and track kits.

it does seem that we are needing to go with a 8 x 17 tile design for this. I'll work up a few different designs and see what we come up with.

pinwc4
2008.10.10, 12:19 AM
stock - existing HFAY rules.
Mod - PN Modified rules
F1 - existing HFAY rules.

I would suggest modding the PN rules slightly. They allow Kyosho boards only while the HFAY rules are far more inclusive for 1/28th scale.

briankstan
2008.10.10, 12:59 AM
I would suggest modding the PN rules slightly. They allow Kyosho boards only while the HFAY rules are far more inclusive for 1/28th scale.

good catch, we can just run it as an open class, basically anything 1/28th scale. ;)

briankstan
2008.10.10, 12:04 PM
Ok, so what we are looking at are for the tracks.

3 wide L kits
1 wide inside corner kit.

this track will use all of the track, except for 2 Bumpouts & 1 Wide Inside Corner

This track will fit in the locations from those that have posted so far. (Ed, it will clear your pole as well ;) )

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25652&stc=1&d=1223654482

imxlr8ed
2008.10.10, 01:25 PM
Mighty nice of ya there! Thanks!

hrdrvr
2008.10.10, 05:22 PM
Nice layout Brian! Im going to post a flyer at our track next week and see what I can do about getting us into the ranks :D

Im almost sure I can get two others :rolleyes:

imxlr8ed
2008.10.11, 01:19 AM
I look forward to racing with you and your pops again Landon! I'm gonna hit up Russ tomorrow at NCRC... see if we can get then in on this as well!

I hope all clubs that have the gear can participate... I think this might be a very big thing when it comes time to run it! Hopefully we'll attract some of our best and brightest MZR fellow members for this one! Besides... someone out there has to be faster than Brad! j/k ;) :D (Brad is the current HFAY Stock Racer dominator!)

hrdrvr
2008.10.11, 06:09 PM
Im looking forward to racing you as well Ed. You can bet my motor wires well be well soldered right before the event, lol. You will be my target in F1!

mk2kompressor
2008.10.11, 07:50 PM
we should have a 3rd L and the inside kit by dec,count RSR in:D

BrianMidnight
2008.10.11, 09:56 PM
Stafford Racers UK are in.

arch2b
2008.10.12, 01:42 PM
dc talked about this this weekend. if we can not get this together in dc, we will take a smaller group of us up to DOW. either way we are in. :)

briankstan
2008.10.12, 03:45 PM
dc talked about this this weekend. if we can not get this together in dc, we will take a smaller group of us up to DOW. either way we are in. :)

Nice! that makes most if not all of the existing HFAY clubs plus a few additional clubs. Hopefully we can pick up a few more before December. ;)

imxlr8ed
2008.10.12, 04:26 PM
Ok... I want to sweeten the deal here.

Thanks to the crew at NCRC, and the charitable contribution of our friend John at RCP. My lucky raffle ticket just won a full Wide L kit yesterday. We here at DOW don't even use all of what we have, so in the interest of making this event special, I will be donating this Wide L as a prize for this event. I would say it goes to the top driver just to avoid any kind of club point calculations... the fastest in Stock gets it! :D

Huge thanks to Russ for this... I hope NCRC can get back to competing with us soon!

And as always, a monster thanks to John for being there when it comes to all of our RCP needs!

briankstan
2008.10.12, 05:16 PM
thanks Ed !

I was going to put up some prizes as well from Salt Lake Mini-Z Store (http://www.slmini-zstore.com), I just haven't set them in stone yet.

I was also thinking about purchasing some trophies for this as well, but I'll see how things go in that respect.

schmenzer
2008.10.27, 01:07 AM
Guys,

I am a little late to the discussion but I am sure we can get the track to fit. We will need the wide inside corner kit unless my home made version is close enough. I saw a post at one of the Colorado clubs sites a while back and made some of the wide corners to make a NASCAR oval before the RCP version was available. I need to order some blank tiles anyway so I guess it it no big deal to include an "official" kit if needed.

Greg
Mini Speedway.

briankstan
2008.11.18, 11:15 AM
I'll have all the info for this race posted on the HFAY website by the end of the week.

we will treat it similar to how the OLPS runs. the track will be "Open" for the entire month of December.

Times will need to be submitted to me by the 5th of January (a little extension for the busy schedules I sure we will all have)

then I'll tally them up and post results, etc. We will follow the rules for the HFAY Racer Class.

We will concider this the Stock Class.

Question is do we should we also run and F1 and OPEN class as well??

imxlr8ed
2008.11.18, 01:12 PM
I'm looking to make a full day out of it, so I say this:

Stock:

Same rules as current HFAY OLPS, HFAY Spec motor only.

Mod:

Same as Mod PNWC 2008, only any type ESC & motor...

F1:

Same rules as current HFAY OLPS, HFAY Spec motor only.

Same running rules as OLPS... 8 minute mains (still open to 10 minutes though), minimum 3 racers per race, etc... keep it simple right?

hrdrvr
2008.11.18, 01:34 PM
Ed, you say "HFAY spec motor only", but can we run the Kyosho box stock motor?

briankstan
2008.11.18, 02:25 PM
Ed, you say "HFAY spec motor only", but can we run the Kyosho box stock motor?

I think to keep with the existing HFAY rules you can use the Kyosho Stock motor as well as the HFAY Spec Motor.

imxlr8ed
2008.11.18, 04:54 PM
Yep... sorry, keep forgetting.

Dusty Weasle
2008.11.18, 10:43 PM
Something to keep in mind as we consider classes and run times. Just running CW and CCW Racer and F1, Mini-AZ's race day often takes 8+ hours. The addition of Mod would extend that again.

Now I'd like to see Mod included (we recently started a Mod Class local series) and maybe 10min run times. That said, I think 8min will be needed for practicality.

But if we only run one direction, the time required is cut in half making Mod Class and even 10min run times more practical.

(Here are the Sporting Regs for our Open Class series if you want to reference those. Click on the Open Class Dash logo for PDF: http://www.mini-az.com/downloads.html )

(BTW, we should probably get OLPS Season VII tracks and regs posted ASAP. Racing begins January :eek: ).

briankstan
2008.11.19, 09:03 AM
since this is more geared as an event, I was just planning on running each class Clockwise only. that way the clubs could run the qualifing however they want depending on size and turnout.

I think the 10 minute mains is a good idea.

(BTW, we should probably get OLPS Season VII tracks and regs posted ASAP. Racing begins January :eek: ).

yep, I'm working on it. I'll need to post up a tracks poll soon ;)

hrdrvr
2008.11.19, 03:04 PM
Just for kicks I thought Id post our videos from last fridays mains. We went ahead and set up this layout to get some runs in on it before the event. I need to see if I can get another cable so we can relocate the bridge to the proper spot (unless that doesnt matter Brian?), and Ill rearrange the starting grid to match up for the actual races.

These videos are from our LeMans spec class which uses the box stock motor, and pretty much totally stock cars.

B-main
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Brk1nC0EgfU

A-main (Im running the 962 that started on pole)

imxlr8ed
2008.11.19, 06:37 PM
Oh yeah... wanted to run this by you Brian...

Can I put my starting loop elswhere? I don't think it matters, a lap is a lap... right? It's just that all of my computer set-up is all down towards the end of the straight, and by keeping it down there frees up alot of standing room for the drivers.

Thanks!

briankstan
2008.11.19, 07:12 PM
Just for kicks I thought Id post our videos from last fridays mains. We went ahead and set up this layout to get some runs in on it before the event. I need to see if I can get another cable so we can relocate the bridge to the proper spot (unless that doesnt matter Brian?), and Ill rearrange the starting grid to match up for the actual races.

These videos are from our LeMans spec class which uses the box stock motor, and pretty much totally stock cars.

B-main

A-main (Im running the 962 that started on pole)

Oh yeah... wanted to run this by you Brian...

Can I put my starting loop elswhere? I don't think it matters, a lap is a lap... right? It's just that all of my computer set-up is all down towards the end of the straight, and by keeping it down there frees up alot of standing room for the drivers.

Thanks!

it could affect track times, based on where the loop is in relation to the starting grid. I can move the loop to the end of the straight if that helps, it's not a problem.

hrdrvr
2008.11.19, 08:55 PM
I can put the loop anywhere on the straight without moving my CPU, so that will work great for me.

imxlr8ed
2008.11.20, 06:59 PM
End of the straight is fine with me too... I have a long USB cord so it should reach to the end of the backstretch.

briankstan
2008.11.20, 07:34 PM
how does this work for you guys?

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26054&stc=1&d=1227227640

hrdrvr
2008.11.20, 08:11 PM
Thats ideal for me.

TALLGEESE
2008.11.20, 09:57 PM
Track layout looks great Brian. Ed, are you still hosting this event for us in D.C. as well if we decide to come up there?

lfisminiz
2008.11.20, 10:35 PM
Im sure Ed will get back to you....the last time we talked...its a go if you guys come up.:)

TALLGEESE
2008.11.21, 10:07 AM
^^Thanks for the info Larry, hopefully Ed will see this thread.. If not I'll just shoot him a PM about this race.

briankstan
2008.11.22, 02:38 PM
info added to the HFAY site. Ed is working on the manuals for the Large Track Events and adding in some clarifications for S7.

I have Season 7 ready to make active once the tracks are decided. Don't forget to vote in that poll. ;)

imxlr8ed
2008.11.23, 12:36 AM
I will have the Big Track Event manual to Brian tomorrow night for his review.

You DC guys are always welcome up here... we just have to set a date. Like I told Arch, feel free to crash at my place if you want to the night before... might be alot easier on you.

VAzRACER
2008.11.23, 01:11 AM
I will have the Big Track Event manual to Brian tomorrow night for his review.

You DC guys are always welcome up here... we just have to set a date. Like I told Arch, feel free to crash at my place if you want to the night before... might be alot easier on you.

We are planning on coming up there still as long as the weather is still good. I was thinking if it is possible to have the race early in December so if it snows or something happens and we can make it up we can still have time in the month to put the race together down here. Thanks.

mini-z
2008.11.23, 10:47 AM
how does this work for you guys?

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26054&stc=1&d=1227227640

Just catching up on this thread - we don't have wide inside corners, so will it be OK to use "regular" at that end - it shouldn't create an advantage (rather, quite a disadvantage) so I'm hoping that's OK? :)

briankstan
2008.11.23, 12:15 PM
Just catching up on this thread - we don't have wide inside corners, so will it be OK to use "regular" at that end - it shouldn't create an advantage (rather, quite a disadvantage) so I'm hoping that's OK? :)

D, that shouldn't be a problem, I'm suprised that you don't have a set. :eek:

imxlr8ed
2008.11.23, 10:45 PM
We are planning on coming up there still as long as the weather is still good. I was thinking if it is possible to have the race early in December so if it snows or something happens and we can make it up we can still have time in the month to put the race together down here. Thanks.

How about the weekend of the 13th & 14th?

As far as the Wide insides go for AA... it will be a disadvantage for you guys. I don't think it'll be a very large one though. I thought you had a warehouse full of all kinds of track Dave?!?! j/k:D It does make the track alot smoother... can't you put the smackdown on Santa?

imxlr8ed
2008.11.24, 12:38 AM
Brian! First version of the 2008 BTE manual was just sent for your review.

I'll get the Season 7 out to you tomorrow night... too tired right now to finish it. (rough day at the track ;))

briankstan
2008.11.24, 09:18 AM
Brian! First version of the 2008 BTE manual was just sent for your review.

I'll get the Season 7 out to you tomorrow night... too tired right now to finish it. (rough day at the track ;))

got it, I'll review tonight.

hilldebrandt
2008.11.30, 08:37 PM
I'm assuming that the car specs will be the same as the regular series ?
Same motor, etc....
Same classes, too ??

briankstan
2008.11.30, 08:42 PM
Same motor, etc....
Same classes, too ??

you are correct, we are having an Open class as well, that will be anything 1/28th scale, any motor, any chassis, etc.

all info for the Big Track Event is on the HFAY Website. www.howfastareyou.com

imxlr8ed
2008.12.01, 01:31 AM
Same motor, etc....
Same classes, too ??

Hope you can make it... we're shooting for the 14th for the actual races but I'm waiting to hear back from the DC Crew when they can make it up.

Brian... did you see any issues with the manual?

briankstan
2008.12.01, 09:22 AM
Brian... did you see any issues with the manual?

not that I recall, I made few slight changes to the other ones, I'll send them all back to you tonight.

hilldebrandt
2008.12.01, 02:49 PM
Hope you can make it... we're shooting for the 14th for the actual races but I'm waiting to hear back from the DC Crew when they can make it up.

I'll be there. I'll have my cars done and new fets on...need to get rid of the 3004's...lol.

VAzRACER
2008.12.01, 06:44 PM

The guys might like that Saturday instead, since they have to travel. I dont care either way. I will send them to this thread to put in their two cents.

VAzRACER
2008.12.03, 05:31 PM

It looks like the most people would like to do it on the 13th. Sound ok with you?

lfisminiz
2008.12.04, 07:43 PM
Ill let Ed answer....but when we talked that is OK with us.;)

imxlr8ed
2008.12.05, 01:41 PM
Cool with me.

briankstan
2008.12.05, 01:59 PM
We ran last night, Fun layout to race on.

Everyone have fun and good luck. :D