PDA

View Full Version : Spot welder for making battery packs?

Mini-Me-Zee
2008.10.09, 11:09 AM
Hi guys,

I was not sure where else to post my question. I understand that for small cells (smaller than 2/3A I guess), spot welding is best when making battery packs to prevent heat damage. I'd like to spot weld tabs on some small lithium ion cells, 10440 size, but don't know what kind of spot welder to get. I have seen several relatively inexpensive models (~$150) that had metal "tongs" which seemed more appropriate for spot welding pieces of thin metal sheet together. Could I use this kind for making battery packs?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45689

Thanks.

imxlr8ed
2008.10.09, 11:50 AM
I've never heard of spot-welding packs together... I would think the zap from the weld would kill the cell (possibly destroy it).

Everyone I know solders their packs together.

bermbuster
2008.10.09, 01:32 PM
I've never heard of spot-welding packs together... I would think the zap from the weld would kill the cell (possibly destroy it).

Everyone I know solders their packs together.

www.cheapbatterypacks.com spot welds there cells when making packs.

lugnutz
2008.10.09, 10:13 PM
mini-me you will never weld enough packs together to pay for a welder,besides if you are not experience enough with welding and to much heat will damage the cells if not blow them up ,unless you talk to a mfg co.and ask them for the temp. ranges but i don't think they will give them to you its kind of info guys keep to them selves so they can continue doing biz