PDA

View Full Version : Drilling an xpeed can

ProfoxCG
2008.10.17, 01:35 AM
I have just bought a PN racing motor mount not realizing that my Xpeed V which I love can not be installed.

so can i safely drill the can of my xspeed?
am I now limited only to PN motors if I want to use this motor mount?

thanks,

gasman1
2008.10.17, 05:55 AM
yes, you can drill the can. Dubro sells a 2mm drill and tap set at most hobby stores, or you can get the set online.

briankstan
2008.10.17, 10:08 AM
I have just bought a PN racing motor mount not realizing that my Xpeed V which I love can not be installed.

so can i safely drill the can of my xspeed?
am I now limited only to PN motors if I want to use this motor mount?

thanks,

Most motors come in pre-drilled and tapped cans, however non of the kyosho motors do. so you could go with any PN or Atomic motor or simply drill the Kyosho ones. One thing to note, the Kyosho cans are very thin and can strip easily, so care must be taken when tightening the motor screws.

We drilled ours for a couple of years, but have now switch to the HFAY Spec motor for all our racing.

ProfoxCG
2008.10.17, 10:53 AM
I have a BB can from PN already drilled. How hard would it be to switch the xspeed into it.

the reason of my obscesion is that my x-speed if fast and runs nicely.

briankstan
2008.10.17, 11:16 AM
I have a BB can from PN already drilled. How hard would it be to switch the xspeed into it.

the reason of my obscesion is that my x-speed if fast and runs nicely.

it's really pretty simple to drill, use the PN can as a template.

you can put the comm and magnets from the Xspeed in the PN can, you'll only need to solder the caps to new can.

HammerZ
2008.10.17, 09:39 PM
Good idea to use a drilled can as a template. If I had a drilled can it would be found on a motor. I did try to drill an X-speed, and messed up drilling too far in and snapping the windings. For me swapping cans is quicker and easier than drilling. If you have to drill the can, better to use a pin vise than a motor tool to hold the bit. Yes the Kyosho cans are thin.

A quick tutorial I made up to install a BB can. I didn't swap the magnets. As I wanted it quick and simple.
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/542/medium/X_Speed_BB_tutorial.JPG

ProfoxCG
2008.10.18, 11:28 AM
nice, seem that drilling i s a little easier.. plus you get to keep the sweet xspeed sticker.

We are going to be running a class w box stock motors, so i think it would be safer to drill it, that was I am not discualified at tech.

ianc
2008.10.18, 07:58 PM
The ever instructive Ben Lee has also posted a tutorial on his site. Check it out at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080123122348/mini-z.home.att.net/drillingmotor.htm

ianc

ProfoxCG
2008.10.18, 11:09 PM
I bougth a 2mm drill and tap kit (as sugested previously) and I also used an already drilled can as a template. Next time however I will implement the steps from the tutorial above, which are marking a line in the middle (although mine came out pretty good ;) and using some double tape.

Thanks everyone for their help !

CCL
2008.10.19, 11:23 PM
Why Pn or Atomic do not develop a simply tool to drill the hole?

CristianTabush
2008.10.29, 12:48 PM
Because it is not needed. :) As mentioned above, it is called a drill and tap set and it is sold at most model stores for about $5.00 :P plus this would push Kyosho motor sales, instead of their own (which I think is a more important reason anyways).