PDA

View Full Version : November 29, 2008 Compact Class Event

TheRinger
2008.10.26, 11:56 AM
When are we having the HFAY in november?

arch2b
2008.10.26, 12:26 PM
i was told nov. 29th was reserved for us, the only date hobby works had open

TheRinger
2008.10.28, 08:16 PM
Well its pretty clear we are not having this 1.

arch2b
2008.10.28, 08:28 PM
care to do another special event instead?

TheRinger
2008.10.28, 09:26 PM
Compact car race?

arch2b
2008.10.29, 07:58 AM
sounds good to me. what are the restrictions? motor mount or wheelbase length? either way i've got something and a month is plenty of time for others to get a body if needed.

while on the topic ob bodies, anyone have a link to a catalogue of the available options? i used to have links to a few sites that catalogued all the bodies but i lose them all in my hard drive failure.

soyverde
2008.10.29, 08:28 PM
90mm high mount race? I've got a mini body just waiting to have the paint chipped a bit. ;)

arch2b
2008.10.30, 11:12 AM
are all hm bodies the same wheelbase?

these are the ones i'm aware of;
vw beetle
vw golf
mini cooper
toyota vitz
honda fit

herman
2008.10.31, 01:30 AM
also wondering what cars qualify as compact cars...
isn't the ford wrc high mount?
what about bodies that are 86mm? i.e. lancia and the porsche?
do they qualify as compact cars? (even though they aren't hm?)

mleemor60
2008.10.31, 07:11 AM

these are the ones i'm aware of;
vw beetle
vw golf
mini cooper
toyota vitz
honda fit

Is any of your group interested in the Audi TT bodies or the BMW roadster or the RTR Lits? Our LHS has a lifetime supply at bargain basement prices. The DC area group seems to more into Z diversity than any other group.

VAzRACER
2008.10.31, 11:32 AM
When we talked about this a few months ago we were not really aiming for a certain wheelbase, you just have to use a HM motor mount. It was also said that you could use any body that you could fit a HM mount into. It is more about making a car hanlde good with such a high center of gravity. You should not be allowed to mod the body to fit the mount though. I can see a 575 with a big hole in the trunk with a HM mount hanging out of it now:p. That would give too much of an advantage.

We can change the rules a bit and do what ever people think will make for a good race. Just post anything you think might make this race more fun.:D

arch2b
2008.10.31, 01:00 PM
i agree, offer the opportunity for diversity while at the same time respecting hte nature of the event. anyone can run a wide track body over a hm given enough ingenuity. as ringer suggested, stick with a subset of 'compact' class which *this can be clarified by him) requiring the use of hte hm or not. most of us have the motor pod from last time.

i prefer the subset classes as they seem to really work well for us. the classic car and mini-van races went well. i believe the first compact class race was our first race like that. let me know what you what ringer, your the man on these races. :) i'll be buying a golf just incase. i'm tired of the vitz and can't find my cooper so i want to get something new.

TheRinger
2008.11.02, 09:04 PM
The rules 4 this race r on the compact class race or enduro thread so the golf body U got arch is fine. Herman the wrc focus and the 206peguot are legal just didn't list them as they r very hard 2 fined. I based the list of cars 4 this race on availablity, they are compact cars in real life, and that they are sold as high mount autoscale bodies and readysets with the exception of a couple awd bodies such as the lancia delta intergale and the vw awd body which in a trial fit on a mr02 can't fit unless U use a high mount pod. Hope this clairify things a little.

arch2b
2008.11.02, 09:10 PM
HERE (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=296611&postcount=1) is your post for reference... will this even let in bodies like the ae86 or strictly compact class cars? it was left up in the air last time maybe? i'd prefer stictly compact class cars myself.

awsome. fyi, my club race chassis is an AM 3010 mr-02 with mr-015 front conversion bars. i have a stock hm motor pod still setup from the previous event. all i need to do is paint my body when it arrives and get the right wheels for it. oh, and dig out my xtals again... guess i should look into moving this one over to 2.4 in the future as well.

TheRinger
2008.11.02, 09:35 PM
Due 2 conflict within the club over allowing bodies such as the AE86 and PT cruiser because they aren't high mount bodies I decided not 2 allow them, so its strictly compact cars that are sold as high mounts or can't fit anything but a high mount. This by vote will not be an endurance race. It will be 8 minute heats and 15 minute mains, so it will test the limits of batteries. No fet or motor limit so if anyone feels that they can race tiny and top heavy bodies with a fetted car and mod motor feel free, it will definetly make things interesting.(the thought has crossed my mind a few times:) )I'm also have a few more spec races going through my mind, one that soyverde came up with but we didn't actually follow through with. So keep an eye out. Another one with a cops and robbers theme.

arch2b
2008.11.02, 09:44 PM
cool. i'm going to try to get some practice with the golf this weekend at nekocon

TALLGEESE
2008.11.03, 02:30 PM
So, we can only use bodies that come from the factory with a high-mount motor pod, sounds good.. Arch, do you know what the offsets are for the VW Golf for an MR-02? I might be interested in picking one up for this race..

I'm also have a few more spec races going through my mind, one that soyverde came up with but we didn't actually follow through with. So keep an eye out. Another one with a cops and robbers theme.

Ringer, cops and robbers would be fun, me and VAzRACER were playing around with the idea of having a trailer-race{redneck style}a few days ago.. But that could be a rough race possibly filled with a lot of wrecks, maybe we could use some older cars for that one..

arch2b
2008.11.03, 03:14 PM
i believe the stock gti offset is 0/0 for an mr-015. since my mr-02 has the mr-015 conversion set, all i need worry about is the rear end which i've got a set of -1 wides on the chassis already. i'll let you know more when it arrives. until then all i can do is speculate.

TheRinger
2008.11.03, 08:23 PM
So, we can only use bodies that come from the factory with a high-mount motor pod, sounds good.. Arch, do you know what the offsets are for the VW Golf for an MR-02? I might be interested in picking one up for this race..

Ringer, cops and robbers would be fun, me and VAzRACER were playing around with the idea of having a trailer-race{redneck style}a few days ago.. But that could be a rough race possibly filled with a lot of wrecks, maybe we could use some older cars for that one..

Yeah VAzRACER said something about that saturday, wouldn't say that is not doable, but it would be more fun if U use overlands and monsters instead of races. U can definetly push the redneck theme.:rolleyes: Has anyone checked out my new spec race thread I came up with?

herman
2008.11.03, 08:47 PM

vw beetle - 90mm (M)
vw golf - 94mm (L)
mini cooper - 90mm (M)
toyota vitz - 90mm (M)
honda fit - 90mm (M)
lancia delta integrale - 90mm (M)
ford wrc - 90mm (M)

non kyosho high mount bodies (mini power)
mini cooper - 94mm (L)
206 peugeot - 94mm (L)
new beetle - 94mm (L)

does this mean you will only allow bodies that are real life compacts and bodies that were made specifically for high mounts?

also if i get it right...
for this event
chassis: either mr02 (with mr015 front conversion) or mr015
motor mount: high mount only
esc: any fet allowed
motor: any motor allowed

please validate the above... :D

wonder if you would allow 86mm (S) bodies or would this be in a whole new class? the only S bodies i know of are the porsche 934/935 series and the lancia

would really like to see pictures of this event... :D

TheRinger
2008.11.03, 10:18 PM
vw beetle - 90mm (M)
vw golf - 94mm (L)
mini cooper - 90mm (M)
toyota vitz - 90mm (M)
honda fit - 90mm (M)
lancia delta integrale - 90mm (M)
ford wrc - 90mm (M)

non kyosho high mount bodies (mini power)
mini cooper - 94mm (L)
206 peugeot - 94mm (L)
new beetle - 94mm (L)

does this mean you will only allow bodies that are real life compacts and bodies that were made specifically for high mounts?

also if i get it right...
for this event
chassis: either mr02 (with mr015 front conversion) or mr015
motor mount: high mount only
esc: any fet allowed
motor: any motor allowed

please validate the above... :D

wonder if you would allow 86mm (S) bodies or would this be in a whole new class? the only S bodies i know of are the porsche 934/935 series and the lancia

would really like to see pictures of this event... :D

It was difficult trying 2 come up with what bodies should and should not be allowed.4 example I was going 2 allow the AE86 since it is a real compact car but conflict within the club saying it would not be fair 2 people who are racing high mounts against cars that are rear mounts so I limited 2 cars that are real compact cars as in gas sippers and that are sold as high mounts. 4 chassis U got it right but U forgot the MA-010 AWD chassis. I've been thinking of a all porsche race but that looks like a conflict waiting 2 happen since their are going 2 be people who want 2 race the lemans bodies with other porsches and people who don't want 2. Other ideas I've have running through my head, all ferarri race, all american race, all japan car race, all italian race, lambo race, etc. brewing in my head. The other bodies that U listed like the wrc focus and 206 are allowed but I personally couldn't bring myself 2 thrash such beautiful and rare bodies.

arch2b
2008.11.10, 07:35 PM
here is pictures of my gti

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_168.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_169.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_170.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_171.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_166.jpg

TheRinger
2008.11.11, 08:16 PM
here is pictures of my gti

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_169.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_170.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_171.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1308/medium/Picture_166.jpg

COBRA!!!:D Sweet ride arch, is it on an mr02?

Slubben
2008.11.13, 09:34 AM
Hello fellow mini-zers. Just a question what is an 015 conversion for an MR02?

arch2b
2008.11.13, 06:37 PM
it is a front top and bottom tower bar replacement kit that shortens the track width for the front end to the stock mr-015 track width allowing you to use mr-015 bodies on an mr-02 chassis easily, or with less trouble.

soyverde
2008.11.15, 06:19 PM
Here is a pic of the Atomic 015 conversion kit (purchased right here at the shop (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=19424&cat=0&page=1)):

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/015_conversion.JPG (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=12412&size=big&cat=&ppuser=6572)

And of course the cooper it was installed on:

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/cooper_1.JPG (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=12413&size=big&cat=&ppuser=6572)

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/cooper_2.JPG (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=12414&size=big&cat=&ppuser=6572)

Now I just need a chance to run the darn thing before the race.

TheRinger
2008.11.15, 09:22 PM
Sweet ride soy. There should be a chance 2 run before the race, I hope.

arch2b
2008.11.16, 03:56 PM
I believe some people are going south for the turkey racing, should we move this to a sunday in december at hobby works?

VAzRACER
2008.11.16, 08:47 PM
That would be better for me. I am giong down to Myrtle Beach for Thanksgiving weekend to spend some time with my girls parents. I am going to meet up with hrdrvr and race down there that weekend since I couldnt be up here. I also think this will work good for Tall because he is going out of town this weekend too.

Set a new date if you want, just remember we have the big track race in PA in Decmber too.

Ringer, sorry we couldnt make it to your place this weekend, I didnt know you were trying tp put somthing together. My cars were in peices anyways.
You want to get some people together next weekend, the 22nd.

Later.

hrdrvr
2008.11.17, 07:27 AM
I believe some people are going south for the turkey racing, should we move this to a sunday in december at hobby works?

Hey Arch. I didnt want to step on y'alls event. I was actually going to post an invite for all you guys to come down, but then I saw y'all allready had this event planned. If you all do move this to a different weekend, some of you should try to come down and run with us. FWIW, its Matts fault Im doing the event at all, lol. j/k

Heres a link to the event thread if any one is interested. You guys have been known to travel. Im hoping atleast a few more out-of-towners come so some of my local guys get to meet more MiniZers. It should help promote more travellers from our group fior the next event :D

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30078

TALLGEESE
2008.11.20, 08:49 PM
Did we ever decide what we're going to do for this race? After making some creative scheduling arrangements it turns out I should be able to make this event after all.. I'd be down for still having it in November if that's what everyone else wants to do..

arch2b
2008.11.20, 08:54 PM
it's up to you guys. it's turkey day weekend or pick one of the 3 free weekends in december.

i've got my car so i'm ready for whenever

soyverde
2008.11.21, 07:17 PM
I was operating under the assumption that we were not running on Thanksgiving weekend, though I should be able to make it either way. Of course if it's delayed I may actually get a chance to test the chassis, which would be nice. :rolleyes:

arch2b
2008.11.21, 08:48 PM
well, lets make it easier for everyone and reschedule. i would have actually had an easier time this weekend than next.

lets look for one of the 3 free weekends in december.

TALLGEESE
2008.11.21, 09:33 PM
December it is then, I could actually use the extra time. I still don't have a body or a high-mount motor mount yet:o.....

arch2b
2008.11.23, 01:20 PM
we have the following weekends to choose from;
Dec 06 Saturday
Dec 07 Sunday

Dec 13 Saturday
Dec 14 Sunday

Dec 20 Saturday
Dec 21 Sunday

Dec 27 Saturday
Dec 28 Sunday

we do not know when DOW will be hostin the HFAY large track race but this will take one weekend.

TheRinger
2008.11.24, 07:51 PM
It doesn't matter 2 me. The only preference I have is it be on a saturday but whatever is convenient 4 everybody else.

TALLGEESE
2008.11.29, 08:55 PM
While I was in Hobbyworks yesterday I went ahead and checked the schedule for possible dates to run this race/event.. The only 2 days they had open for us to run this month was either the 20th or the 27th of December{both Saturdays}.. I went ahead and scheduled us for the 20th.. I hope this date works for most of us but we still have the option of running this race on the 27th if we feel like it..

On another note, Hobbyworks has got a fair amount of new Mini-Z related items in stock at the store, check the Hobbyworks thread for more info....

arch2b
2008.12.09, 08:56 PM
Skv012a,
i would hesitate in allowing you to use any other body than a compact class body as it does not meet the spirit of the event.

i do have a toyota vitz, mini cooper, and vw golf body i will bring with me that you are welcome to use.

Skv012a
2008.12.10, 12:48 AM
Skv012a,
i would hesitate in allowing you to use any other body than a compact class body as it does not meet the spirit of the event.

i do have a toyota vitz, mini cooper, and vw golf body i will bring with me that you are welcome to use.

If anything I'd just appreaciate you guys showing me the ropes and having some practice runs before/after the main event. Other than that I'll soup up my FD to show off. Another thought- what about some lead ballast where HM pod would normally be to offset RM's CoG?

Lastly I'll get a few more parts and listen to what you guys would recommend :)

arch2b
2008.12.10, 07:57 AM
the beauty of these specific races is the spirit of competition they inspire. allowing exceptions seriously violates that spirit which everyone enjoys so much with these races. if we start handicapping non-compact cars, than it's no longer a compact class race in my opinion.

i think you really would have enjoyed our last mini-van race for example. there were some awsome vans entered and it's more than just the actual racing, it's also about having fun with the type of car selected for the race. the mere sight of seeing a ghostbusters ecto-1 van going around was well worth participating in the race.

i have several bodies you can choose from and use/keep for this race. i'd rather give a body away to gain a driver than to have it sit in a box and have someone sit out for this race.

Skv012a
2008.12.10, 08:21 AM
Arch,say you have a blank Vitz for like $18 and I'd gladly take it off your hands :) I loved that guy in GT3 and 4, but most stores are outta stock these days. Autoart I'll consider too, they are pretty durable as far as paint goes. If you can, post a pic and name your price.

On that note, I'd really appreciate if you guys wouldn't mind selling me some extra bods you have- looking namely for a blank 86, the above Vitz, R32, 350Z or Nismo, Silvia S15.

arch2b
2008.12.10, 09:20 AM
sorry, i don't have any spare white bodies but i'll check again tonight. the vitz is very well used. the cooper has only been used twice. the golf gti was a white body but painted. you can strip the paint off however. i'll give you whichever body you want. i can even mail it to you so you can do whatever it is you want to do to it.

Skv012a
2008.12.10, 12:11 PM
I'd say just bring the Vitz to the event and I'll buy it from you there if its in decent shape.

Edit: Would also LOVE anyone who can sell me some MR15 rims since HW only had Kyo MA box. Would more than welcome MR02/15 All Offset Kit/set too(like ebay #370113215847). Drift tires unless HW has some hard slicks. I'd say rims are a real priority for me because I'm stuck with 1 Chrysler set atm.

soyverde
2008.12.11, 07:47 AM
Skv012a: I'm sure one of us can come up with the correct offsets for the body you are running that day. I can't say I have loads of rims to spare (i.e. to sell), because racing takes its toll (plastic rims will crack at some point). I'm also pretty certain I have a set of drift tires I'm not using (since I no longer have an AWD), you can have them if they're still in my pit box. Regardless we all likely have hard slicks to spare, since that's all that comes on autoscales and they are useless for RCP racing.

arch2b: I thought you were running the GTI in this race...are you not liking that setup? I really wanted to try it, but couldn't bring myself to add another $20 or so to my last shop order. I always have a bit of buyer's remorse when a tiny box comes in the mail and I know I spent ~$100 on the contents. :rolleyes:

Skv012a
2008.12.11, 08:08 AM
Then yet a few more questions (don't you love newbies lol): If I convert a 1/24 Suzuki Capuccino body, is that fine? Thats one of the lightest real cars and if it fits HM it fits the rules/spirit, right? Now a slightly OT question- should I just get aluminum rims of an optimal offset for my body preference?

arch2b
2008.12.11, 09:00 AM
more than likely, any model body you have will not hold up to the collisions and impacts incurred in a race. i would be very hesitant in using a model kit for a race body.
there is also likely a substantial scale difference between your 1:24 kit and the 1:27-28 scale of a mini-z. set your car up for the average wheelbase for a high mount body and if the wheel placement is acceptable i would not disallow you from doing so. the high mount motor configuration is not the most significant factor for compact class, it's the wheelbase. as a result of the wheelbase, your left with bodies that predominately use the high mount motor configuration. there may be some exceptions. the ringer has posted rules for this race type already in this subforum. take a look at that thread and i'm sure it will answer some questions you may have.

i bought a white body gti and painted it only to get a nice glossy finished body from mlee so naturally i went with the prefinished body. if anyone wants the painted one i have, just let me know. i'm not using it.... i do know how you feel, i just got a box about the size of a small paperback book with over $120 in parts for season 7 hfay... i too left an asc purchase out (db9).

Skv012a
2008.12.11, 09:22 PM
Well HM shares RM wheel bases, so the only difference really is the CG unless the body's hanging rear end makes a significant weight difference.

Also sorry to bombard with questions and requests (especially regarding buying parts given it'll be @ HW), but it seems like my only chance to buy some salvage instead of completely new parts, so many thanks for bearing with me on these.

Got another request that may actually be doable for you guys- spare dummy bodies of various lengths for my custom fitting projects. I now have the 86 from Porsche 934, but I have a feeling that 90-98 would be the the lengths required, if not the 102 and 106. Feel free to name your prices for these things since they do have some value.

Now as far as 86-90 HM chassis, I'm actually enjoying it. Feels like the hardest config to drive which means it should increase my skill quite a bit. Another thing I like so far is the fact that rear wheels get the most traction and slower drifts are possible with ease. That said I can't wait to try hard rubber on the front and my stock/medium on the back to see how easily the car will slide around and how much control I will have over it.

arch2b
2008.12.19, 11:38 PM
see you guys tomorrow. let me know immediately if i got the wrong date. i'd hate to drive all the way out there and get the date wrong.

Skv012a
2008.12.20, 07:29 PM
Was a pleasure to meet everyone, this thing was fun. Wish I remembered soft front springs earlier to save some flips and 2-wheel moments lol. Also realized that Cooper is way too unstable and Golf or Delta are prolly the best compacts. Gotta start ebayin stuff to convert those funds into 2.4 board + TX.

arch2b
2008.12.20, 09:31 PM
skv, you did very well considering this was your first race and a compact class one at that.

thanks everyone for making this yet another very enjoyable race. it was both fun to watch and participate in.

i have pictures of the cars that i will get uploaded this weekend.

i'm not certain of the a main standings however i do know most of 012a-b main
soyverde-122 laps
arch2b-120
skv012a-?

mains were 15 minutes so the 2 lap difference for soy and myself was a close race.

let is be said that the ringer drove the hell out of the vitz! as small as that car was, it was zipping around quickly and very stable.

Skv012a
2008.12.21, 01:38 AM
Mine was about half the others' LOL. Still think I should've realized what springs I had in there sooner... but next time might be 2.4 for me or even 2.4 AWD. All depends on how much and how fast I can sell off :D

arch2b
2008.12.21, 09:04 AM
i'm going to get a another thumb drive and tether it to my transmitter so i won't have this problem of loosing them.

arch2b
2008.12.21, 10:04 PM
here are the pictures i took.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/738/medium/IMG_7848.JPG

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/738/medium/IMG_7849.JPG

cars

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/738/medium/IMG_7850.JPG

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/738/medium/IMG_7851.JPG

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/738/medium/IMG_7852.JPG

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/738/medium/IMG_7853.JPG

not pictured from this day are my golf r32 and swv's red cooper

Skv012a
2008.12.22, 04:43 PM
Ha, I see my back in one of the first few pix.

TheRinger
2008.12.22, 08:11 PM
Well this race was a blast, we should do this race again soon. I got another idea 4 a race so keep an eye out.

Skv012a
2008.12.23, 11:03 AM
How about a drift race? Better yet, MR drift race? Should be just as interesting and as skillfull as compact race.

Peregrinari
2008.12.27, 09:05 AM
Darnit! I missed this race. I had been looking forward to it! Ah well. I have been really really busy guys. Sorry I wasn't there. I should be back for 2009 though!

Tom