PDA

View Full Version : Eflite's MCX micro heli...

imxlr8ed
2008.10.28, 01:11 PM
This is the coolest RTF I have ever bought:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH2200

I can't believe how easy it was to just whip it out of the box and go right into the air like a pro! This thing is the easiest RC aircraft I have ever flown and it actually does what I tell it to do. I've crashed it countless times and only had one small breakage so far. The new part was like 6 bucks and I was back in the air immediately. Of course, I had to buy an extra battery and as much bling for it as possible right away, and as soon as they get the glowing rotor blades in stock, I'll be picking those up too!

Time to sell one of the Z herd to make my cash back! ;)

So... a few hanging hula hoops and a suspended core system, and we'll be racing these too!

imxlr8ed
2008.10.28, 01:31 PM
I am going to try to get the Mushroom Bowl crew together for their first indoor air race this Saturday... the more I think about it, the cooler the idea gets! The non-weight issue of the Core transponder makes this idea extremely plausible, you might have to get low to get it to read, but that will be half the fun of it! (touch and go rule maybe?) Anyone up for a heli class in HFAY? :D

hrdrvr
2008.10.28, 01:56 PM
Haha! heli class would be hard to get the tracks exactly the same :D

Ive been eyeing these at my local store and have grown very interested. They have one on demo thats been sitting on the counter for a few days. The guy tooled it around the shop for me, and it looks simple and easy to fly.

I want to learn how to fly a heli. Would this be too easy to actually learn from?

marc
2008.10.28, 02:21 PM
Yep, Dad and I picked one up just the other night. I've been flying it all over the house! I'll post pic's of it next to my Dnano. This is THE BEST MICRO helicopter out there! Eflite sure made a winner of this one!

Hrdrvr, answer to your question is YES! This and one of the computer flight simulators and you'll soon be a pro. Co-Axials are excellent trainers as they are naturally more stable than convensional helicopters as said in another thread. The beauty with this micro whirlybird, is that it's small enough to fly in your living room so while your watching Jerry Springer you can hover around your helicopter!

Here are pic's of my bird next to the Dnano.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08318.jpg
MR02 Mclaren in the background
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08319.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08320.jpg

TALLGEESE
2008.10.28, 02:38 PM
Last week I got to try out one of these for a while and they're a fantastic way to get into RC heli's.. Very smooth and easy to fly. I like how you have the option to either buy the helicopter with or without the transmitter since this helicopter is compatible with the Spectrum line of controllers. You can even use the transmitter that comes with E-Flite's Blade CX-2 2.4ghz helicopter if you want to save around 40 dollars off the ready-to-fly version. Another thing I like about this helicopter is the battery packs are only around $15 dollars each, so you can keep flying for a while between charges..

Ed, the HFAY air race idea sounds great!! Might be a little rough starting out but an interesting idea overall.. Think Reno air races, but with heli's!! An obstacle course might be a good idea as well. You should bring you're heli down to Nekocon and show us you're piloting skills:D...

marc
2008.10.28, 02:44 PM
Would be interesting to set up a couple of hoola-hoop's in the air along with a Core lap timer. Remember, these are not fast helicopters so lap times will be considerably slower than the Z's. But would be an even playing field as there are no hop-up's for these helicopters and I'm not sure if you would even want to touch one and modify it. Nor would I know of any modifications that would make it faster and be safe for it.
So, it would all boil down to flying an identical item, and personal skill level.

It would be interesting to see what kind of modifications LBRC would do to this helicopter. LBRC, what do you think?

imxlr8ed
2008.10.28, 05:06 PM
I have already tweeked mine a bit, I dialed down the swashplate linkages (3 turns down each, very delicate work though) to get more throw onto forward and also glued a wheel nut onto the nose for a little more CG up towards the front. Also, throw into the higher option of the dual rate on the stock controller by pushing staight down the right stick... makes it a little hairier to fly, but it's a ton more responsive. I think my only other hops will be the glow stuff, and then I'm just gonna cruise it like that for a while and enjoy it.

Get 2 batteries right away... if you don't, you'll wish you did!

Definitely taking this to Nekocon... and everyw other race I go from now on. :D

If it ever comes down to an actual event... I would just keep it at spec electronics and battery, and that's it!

marc
2008.10.28, 05:36 PM
It should be a bone-stock even race with just skill level determining winner. That will force people to improve their skills more than trying to upgrade something that would be rediculous to upgrade. We've already got a second battery and charger set from Kyosho's mini airplane which uses same identical battery/charger system. So as I charge one, I fly the other. I'm not sure about those glow bit's though. Maybe the blades, but look's like a completely new frame and I'm not about to swap that just for glow. Have you tried turning off the lights at night and just flying it around with it's own red glow?
It's pretty cool flying around a glowing red dot in the darkness of night!
We call it Rudolf!

Sinister_Y
2008.10.28, 08:19 PM
I have one and love it. My ocean rescue now sits on the shelf...

I recommend for any new heli people as well. Mind you, it's completely an indoor helicopter. It's very rugged and I picked up some glow in the dark blades for it.

anarchydude
2008.10.29, 03:35 PM
I flew this at Eds, and after owning a CX2 for a year, this makes it a lot easier! Of course size makes a difference, but it is something more practical to me. I'm selling my CX2 now so I can get one of these! :)

Thanks for getting me hooked on another toy Ed :-p

imxlr8ed
2008.10.29, 04:15 PM
Sorry dude... :o

My apologies to all else who ends up owning one of these too.

Performance to price ratio is very high... that's also the reason why I started into the Zs.

marc
2008.10.29, 05:57 PM
How long does it take for these batteries to charge? It seems the more I fly it, the longer I have to wait for each charge!

Draconious
2008.10.29, 10:29 PM
How big of a loop can you make with the core counter? make a pass through type of obsticle to count your lap? :)

marc
2008.10.29, 10:48 PM
Found out that the batteries in my charger's were down to their last bit. Replaced theme and now it charges quickly! Also, dont' remove the batteries till it's completely charged! The charger does not like that!
I've seen on virtual flight simulators that they have these ring's that are hovering in the air for you to fly through. I'm imagining that for real! Need a gymnasium size room to really do it in. Then how the heck do you hang the loop's from the ceiling! Be quite an undertaking to set up an air-track and then to tear it down again. Nothing like an RCP track!

imxlr8ed
2008.10.30, 11:12 AM
How big of a loop can you make with the core counter? make a pass through type of obsticle to count your lap? :)

That crossed my mind, I'm sure you could fit through, but I don't know how well it will read because of the 12" spacing required to count the cars (but that might be just because it's on the ground).

marc
2008.10.30, 11:25 AM
I don't think ground or air would make a difference in the space requirements. One problem hanging it in the air might be that it won't be solidly mounted in place like it would be on the ground. The fact that it will move a tad due to air circulation, might give off unwanted readings. I'm only guessing as I really don't know much about these things, but seems to me the slightest movements would effect it?

imxlr8ed
2008.10.30, 04:52 PM
I was thinking of getting a big sheet of cardboard and cutting a hole out in it and taping the timing loop around the hole... would be some interesting close finishes for sure (kinda like when the millenium falcon just barely made it out of the spaceworms mouth), and no question if you counted or not then.

marc
2008.11.01, 11:05 AM
You need to make sure the hole is large enough for the blades to go through with some comfort room.

hrdrvr
2008.11.02, 01:06 PM
Found thi son the 'tube today. Thought yall might be interested :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UUT3BQMOtE

marc
2008.11.02, 01:14 PM
NICE! I think that is EXACTLY what we're talking about! Just need to hook up a Core-Timer to one of those loops, attach the Core-Transponder to the landing skids on the helicopter, and away we go! However, noticed how slow it was doing that? Imagine how long the lap-times will be! LOL! Soon we're all gonna start modifying our coptors for speed and agility! Nice find!

briankstan
2008.11.02, 01:23 PM
That crossed my mind, I'm sure you could fit through, but I don't know how well it will read because of the 12" spacing required to count the cars (but that might be just because it's on the ground).

I think the 12" spacing is just for it laying flat on the ground, if you were to fly through it, I bet it would work no problem.

hrdrvr
2008.11.02, 01:57 PM
Even if youve got to get within 12", couldnt you just have a 24" hoop with the loop attached?

briankstan
2008.11.02, 02:32 PM
Even if youve got to get within 12", couldnt you just have a 24" hoop with the loop attached?

yes, that is what I meant. you don't have to get withing 12" but you could fly though the 24" or larger hoop with the core loop attached. :D

marc
2008.11.05, 09:32 PM
How long can these little Lipo batteries last if you are almost constantly flying the helicopter? I mean charge, after recharge after recharge?

Sinister_Y
2008.11.05, 11:14 PM
enuff times I suppose. Anyway, new batteries are like $8/pack anyway.

Just wait until hongkong starts to supply. We're prolly talkin less than $5 pack. Those batteries already exist cheap, but the connector does not rightnow. wait a couple of months.

imxlr8ed
2008.11.06, 01:12 AM
Yep... that vid is exactly what I'm talking about!

I didn't get to do it at the Bowl last weekend due to an apparent lack of interest (oh no!... new and interesting things scare us! :mad:) But I'm sure I'll have something ready to go soon, just been busy getting ready for the race this weekend.

As far as the batts go... I've charged mine a bunch since I've gotten the thing and no issues so far but one battery that was over discharged by someone I loaned it to. It still works, but there is a very noticeable performance difference right away.

DO NOT over-run the batts! If the light starts blinking, you're over-running the cell! Shut it down ASAP! I usually fly mine until I notice a greater usage of throttle just to keep it up in the air. But you will get a quick drop just before the light starts blinking and that means it's time to park it (sorry... land it)

I will say one thing... the glow in the dark landing gear isn't worth the cash, it's much more brittle than the stock skids and I broke mine on the second flight with it. And when I tried to get it out of the main frame, the tabs broke off inside the mounting holes... after a few minutes and careful digging with an exacto, I managed to pop the leftover plastic out. Now I just have find where I put the stock skids! :o

Oh... and the lipos charge much faster when you have fresh cells in the charger. I've been using Nimhs to power the charger with no issues so far.

cosmicsoul
2008.11.06, 11:19 PM
Hey man bring you Heli to the event, I am not that great at flying mine yet but could be fun if several where flying around.

Jay

imxlr8ed
2008.11.06, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah, already in the bag... minus the gear I haven't found yet, might have to make my own tomorrow night if the LHS doesn't have one in stock.

marc
2008.11.07, 11:39 AM
Hi there, yes I'm aware of fresh batteries in the charger. I have never flowen it down to where the light starts blinking, but I do notice the helicopter starts spinning around by itselfe which is an indication of power shortage. I dont' think I over fly the helicopter too long, maybe 3-4 times a day and not every single day. I just want to know how long can they go before complete death to where they won't recharge again.

marc
2008.11.09, 06:24 PM
You know, I'm wondering something about this little gem. I have been sizeing up my MCX with my 1/48 scale die-cast model of Airwolf. I wonder if I can modify the plastic model kit version of it, same scale to fit this helicopter? Anybody else have any ideas?
I wonder if the plastic found on the model kit would be too heavy? I have seen alot of PLASTIC model kit's of Airwolf in 1/48 scale and it look's like it's just the right size for this. Knowing that I'm an Airwolf fan, it's an interesting idea. Has anybody seen any other modifications done to this helicopter?

marc
2008.11.09, 06:48 PM
Here's an interesting sight for you MCX lover's.
http://www.micro-flight.com/
They have numerous modification's for this little bird.

marc
2008.11.17, 06:35 PM
Think there will be any aluminum upgrades for this helicopter?

acerpower
2008.11.17, 08:31 PM
i've already seen aluminum skids for it.

marc
2008.11.17, 08:52 PM
Yep, I've ordered the MIA upgrade package for it which includes the white canopy and twin tail rudders, and the CNC aluminum battery tray plus skids. So, I'm already aware of those.
I'm just wondering if anybody will do an aluminum frame and swashplate sort of details for it. I know it's not the type of performance helicopter that would require aluminum upgrades, so for this little co-axial it would be more for bling and strength I would think.
I'm not keen on Eflites glow'n'the'dark bit's.

marc
2008.11.21, 08:48 PM
Can anybody tell me the reputation of MIA and how fast their service is? I've ordered my parts Sunday, sent PayPal payment, and have heard absolutetly nothing from theme.
Nothing in the order process indicated that items were NOT in stock, so I had assumed they would be on their way and that I would have theme by now. I know that they are located in the USA as they clearly say Made in USA so shipping shouldn't take five day's. Wonder what's going on?

marc
2008.11.28, 11:33 AM
My parts came in the mail Wenseday.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08470.jpg
The landing gear bit look's complicated. Very thin peices of I'm guessing black fiberglass?
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08471.jpg
New canopy and twin tail
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08472.jpg

marc
2008.11.28, 01:15 PM
Assembled the new tail and decorated the new canopy. Will wait on the skids till later.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08473.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08474.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08475.jpg
Dad think's we should hold off on the skids till the factory ones brake. But being that this is a tough little helicopter, that might be along time!
Personally, I like the new body. Takes away from the "toyish" look and does not look like everybody elses MCX!

imxlr8ed
2008.11.28, 02:28 PM
The tail looks cool too, kinda like a BK117. I know the skid have survived 20'+ falls so yeah... you might be waiting a long while.

marc
2008.11.28, 03:29 PM
If Dad decideds not to take it with him on his trip, I just might go ahead with the new skids anyway. :D
More I look at it, it's not really that complicated.

marc
2008.11.28, 04:46 PM
New skids assembled! Peice of cake really. Not sure why I thought it looked complicated, :rolleyes:
Anyway, now the trick is to CAREFULLY remove the factory skids from the frame. That'll wait till later.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08476.jpg
This stuff is very, very light weight. Can hardly notice it in my fingers!
Look's trick heh?

marc
2008.11.29, 04:13 PM
New skids installed on helicopter. It took some time, but I successfully removed the old battery tray/landing gear peice without breaking ANYTHING! the new peice is such a tight, tight fit I doubt it needs to be glued at all, so leaving it as is. The skids makes it look even cooler as it sit's lower and wider.
Plus, with the new skids and new canopy, I think it's lighter in weight. Sorry, I didnt' think to weight it before modification's. Will have to find the micro-scale and weight it as it is now.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08479.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08477.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08478.jpg
This canopy is available in a host of color's and optional decals. Plus, they have a scale fuselage of what look's similar to Magnum PI's helicopter. They say that they plan on making more scale fuselages for this helicopter and I practically begged theme to make Airwolf. So, we'll see what they come up with.
Will vid soon.
The entire kit, canopy, skids', and decals, cost just under 40 dollars.

marc
2008.11.30, 06:50 PM
As promised, my MCX helicopter with it's new MIA upgrades. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vHB1uwG7qk

imxlr8ed
2008.12.01, 01:42 AM
Cool vid... Cool workshop!

I noticed yours has that slight undulation like mine, mine won't sit still anymore either. Mine hovered perfectly steady with near centered trim even after I lowered the swashplate linkages, but now it's just kind of floating in a circular motion and I have to trim the yaw constantly. Although, I did notice that after an upper blade swap today that it did calm it down a bit... I'm thinking the collisions have taken a toll on the blade balance or something like that.

As far as the yaw issue, it seems like it fades as the flight time increases... I'm wondering if I need to replace the rotor motors? Maybe one just gets inefficient as it gets heated?

Still love flying it though!

Action B
2008.12.01, 09:24 AM
Cool vid... Cool workshop!

I noticed yours has that slight undulation like mine, mine won't sit still anymore either. Mine hovered perfectly steady with near centered trim even after I lowered the swashplate linkages, but now it's just kind of floating in a circular motion and I have to trim the yaw constantly. Although, I did notice that after an upper blade swap today that it did calm it down a bit... I'm thinking the collisions have taken a toll on the blade balance or something like that.

As far as the yaw issue, it seems like it fades as the flight time increases... I'm wondering if I need to replace the rotor motors? Maybe one just gets inefficient as it gets heated?

Still love flying it though!

If the blades are unequally hacked up, it causes crazy flight problems. I also noted the same fading. I'm not sure the cause for the fading yet. I'm going to purchase a new battery and see if i can't isolate a cause.

marc
2008.12.01, 11:12 AM
That seems to be an issue I'm having with my Walkera Airwolf. It is very sensative to being nicked and if the blades are just slightly nicked, it throws it off balance and makes it hard to fly. When I replace the blades, it's rock solid again.
My MCX is very stable when I want it to be. But it was hard trying to get it to stay put in front of the camera.