PDA

View Full Version : the spins

rickyb
2008.11.19, 09:14 PM
i have an mr02 mm. i run 6deg pn rears. i run on a track with foam tiles simmilar to rcp. if i try to run 8 deg my car spins as soon as hit the gas,bad! is there that much more traction with a 6 deg tire or is something else wrong?

JuniorWKR
2008.11.20, 08:17 AM
i have an mr02 mm. i run 6deg pn rears. i run on a track with foam tiles simmilar to rcp. if i try to run 8 deg my car spins as soon as hit the gas,bad! is there that much more traction with a 6 deg tire or is something else wrong?

2 things u can check is 1-check that ur set up isnt to stiff... u need to to allow the car's chassis and suspension to absorb some of the energy... also if ur runnin an adjustable diff... make sure it isnt set to tight...

color01
2008.11.20, 11:29 AM
Similar to, but not? Those tiles are kind of slippery, even your PN 6's will start losing grip once they dry out/lose tread.

JuniorWKR
2008.11.20, 12:21 PM

Also check to see if the other side of the tile has more traction than the sid eur running on now... u can also cheat and lightly mist simple green on the track and allow to sit for a day...

EMU
2008.11.20, 12:45 PM
What differential are you using? Front tire? Offsets?

Soft t-plate, hard front end should work well on this type of track. What setup/body are you running? If not already, try a 94mm setup or an RM setup. That should allow you to get more power down.

When I started racing, we raced on this type of surface... I think its more fun than RCP since there is less grip. We had to sand the tires every few runs to get a little more bite. Just enough to scuff them up a little.

This was the old track. Lots of fun there...
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/EMU/DSC01213.sized.jpg

You may also want to try the Reflex SSG tires, since they will last considerably longer than the PN 6d radials. I dont know how well they will grip on that surface though...

rickyb
2008.11.20, 03:56 PM
this is the same exact tiles. i run a ball diff, its perfect :D i raced 10th scale for about 12 years, so i do know how to set up the car. i just realy didnt think that there would be that much of a dif. in 1 step softer tire? you guys are right even the 6 tires after a while loose grip. i run a med t plate and a hard spring up front with an enzo bod. does sanding the tires realy work? thanks foryour replies, they are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

rickyb
2008.11.20, 03:58 PM
by the way i run 98mm, what would the 94mm change?

Hekyl
2008.11.20, 04:15 PM
Running 94mm will provide more weight onto the rear wheels based on my experience. The rear wheels being closer to the batteries confirm this. The farther you run the rear wheels away from the batteries you then transfer more weight to the front. I run a couple of 02 chassis. The 94mm run PN8's and the 98mm run PN6's. Both seem to perform quite similar. I too am concerned that I'll be buying new PN6's quicker. Apparently the new SSG's solve for this?

hrdrvr
2008.11.20, 04:25 PM
IME the SSGs last a lot longer than PN 6s.

EMU
2008.11.20, 05:28 PM
The 94mm MM setups will have more rear grip than the 98mm MM setup.

Most of the cars that we ran at HKS Hobbies (pictured above) were 94mm RM cars. A few MM (Enzo, McLaren) were used, but mostly 94mm to get more rear grip. A few ran 94mm RM setups under the Enzo body.

Sanding tires does work, and worked very well. It could make the difference between first and last on that track. It is less effective on RCP, but there is still a difference there. Another option is to get a tire truer (Hudy makes one with an Arbor for the Mini-Z wheels). True it just enough to get it scuffed to get the grip you need. Then you can retrue every so often and know you have a perfectly round wheel. 20d LM rear tires can go a long way with this method...

rickyb
2008.11.20, 06:10 PM
thanks for the info. what tire setups worked well for you on this surface? (98 and 94) if you remember.

EMU
2008.11.20, 06:44 PM
It was in 2004... hmm. I think we used GPM 8d rears with an assortment of front tires depending on the body. I think PN 18d slicks in the front for my 98mm setups, and 10d slicks for 94mm. GPM 8d were the tires with the most grip at the time. I cant really compare them to the PN 6d or 8d now.